Dark Souls... From Software's epic action-RPG - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1246 Old 10-05-2011, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
This game delivered. I even got the 'heart beating out of my chest' moment, a la Demon's Souls, when fighting one of the mini-bosses.

This truly feels like Demon's Souls 2...which is a good thing! And as Tyrant mentioned, they added a lot of great stuff.

After reading a few reviews, I did expect the game to be more difficult than Demon's Souls, but didn't find that to be true. Like the first game, there are simply some levels you're not supposed to be able to succeed in early in the game...

I will say that even though there are levels where you'll not be able to defeat the resident basic enemies at lower levels, they're worth running through (provided you've already spent your souls) to pillage dead bodies. I found a lot of good weapons/items/shields doing that last night.

I did get the stone that allowed me to drop my soul sign last night, but I was never summoned, and never got to an Unhollowed state to summon others. Really looking forward to seeing how that mechanic is represented in this game.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1246 Old 10-05-2011, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if there are any advantages to being in an unhollow state, other than the abilility to summon others to your game?

XBOX: terryb28
PSN: terryb30
post #183 of 1246 Old 10-05-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Love this game! Spent 1 hour getting my ass kicked by skeletons, then by ghosts and after that, finally realized there was a staircase where I HAD to go... I was fighting against enemies way too strong for me I managed to kill some but they didn't even dropped souls!?!?

Found nice loot tho but can't use it because I'm way underpowered

The Master Key Gift isn't very useful for me so far... because I opened doors I shouldn't open so I get my ass kicked... fun game

I finally found where I needed to go, I'm now at the Taurus Demon

I kinda prefered the way Demon's Souls had you going in stages 9ex 1-2) to guide you since I spent an hour no going where I had to go... a lesson has been learned
post #184 of 1246 Old 10-05-2011, 07:42 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryb28 View Post

Does anyone know if there are any advantages to being in an unhollow state, other than the abilility to summon others to your game?

Being hallowed is a disadvantage in that your hit power, defense and abilities are all impacted negatively. The benefits are that phantoms can't invade, and you can help others in their worlds to get an idea of the level before having to do it on your end.

unhallowed you have full, unimpaired stats. But black phantoms can invade, as well as you summoning blue phantoms to help.
post #185 of 1246 Old 10-05-2011, 07:44 AM

Here's a few tips for the noobs:

Early Farming to give your character a little more muscle:

Watch out where, and what you drop:

Quote:

Vagrants

Vagrants are NPC Black Phantoms spawned from dropped equipment. Dropped equipment has a chance to become a vagrant and invade other peoples' worlds. The longer items are on the ground, the more powerful the Vagrant. The more powerful the vagrant, the higher chance it will drop better armor than what spawned it. Essentially, you might run across an NPC Black Phantom that drops rare armor simply because someone decided to drop a set of armor from their world and it morphed into a Vagrant that invaded yours.

My guess is they only invade unhollowed persons. Still, pretty interesting, and deadly.

Also:
Not only do we have to worry about souls this time around, we have to worry about Humanity:

Quote:

Humanity
Humanity is a game mechanic which controls various aspects of the game, both off- and online.

• The amount of Humanity held by the player is represented by a number in the top left corner of the HUD.
  • Holding Humanity is not the same as being human.
  • The level of Humanity increases the player's resistance to being Cursed.
  • The level of Humanity also increases the player's item drop rate.

Use Humanity

• Humanity is used to revive to Human form, or to kindle Bonfires.
  • Human form will allow players to summon Phantoms for help and guidance on their journey.
  • Human form will also leave the player open to invasions by hostile Black Phantoms.

Earn Humanity
  • Humanity can be earned by playing as a Phantom, and help kill the end-level boss.
  • Humanity can be earned by killing Evil Spirits (invading players), or by invading and killing a player in another world.
  • Humanity can be bought from some merchants.
  • Humanity can be found, as a dropped item, from some killed enemies.
  • Humanity can be found as a consumable item.
  • Sewer Rats drops consumable humanity items.
  • These consumables can be stored, just like other items, and will not be lost if the player dies.
  • Consuming a humanity item will also restore the player's health.

Lose Humanity
  • Humanity is lost upon death, with one chance to retrieve it, if the player can reach the bloodstain where death occurred.
  • If the player dies in Human Form, it will respawn in Hollowed form, or as an undead.
  • Dying when Hollowed will result in the message 'You Hollowed' being displayed, instead of 'You Died'.
  • Hollowed form will allow the player to be summoned to another world, by a Human form host, to assist as a Phantom.
  • Hollowed form will have detrimental effects on the player, but will not decrease maximum health.

post #186 of 1246 Old 10-05-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashboard View Post

Found nice loot tho but can't use it because I'm way underpowered

I forget if it tells you on the screen but try two-handing a weapon if you aren't strong enough to one hand it, i.e. two-hand the winged spear.
post #187 of 1246 Old 10-05-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Not only do we have to worry about souls this time around, we have to worry about Humanity:

So Humanity is this game's morphed version of World/Personal Tendency?

At least that is what I gather so far.
post #188 of 1246 Old 10-05-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sloth View Post

So Humanity is this game's morphed version of World/Personal Tendency?

At least that is what I gather so far.

No, it's just a slightly different take on Body/Soul form. Humanity is like the eye stones, only with an extra step and a few extra functions.

Humanity is kept track in the upper left, and like souls it can be lost with death. You can gain them back (along with any lost souls) by finding your blood stain; but like souls you lose it all if you die that second time.

Unlike the Eye stones of DS, you can't directly use it. You can only use it at a fire, like you use souls to upgrade at a fire. There are usable "Humanity" item drops, but they're like the soul drop pickups. A way of storing it in inventory, and never losing it. Basically to use at a fire, right before you unhollow (or in the case of souls, upgrade).

There's two additional interesting things to it. If you die, and you don't reach your stain the second time, you're lost humanity / souls has a chance to turn into a NCP black phantom in someone else's unhallowed world! The second is humanity can be used at the fire to "Kindle" it. No idea what that is yet though.

Personally, I like this system better since the fires work like checkpoints.

Say you were unhollowed (body) and died. Chances are you had a bit of "humanity" built up too. Well if you can make it there in hollowed form, get your humanity back, and find a fire (or backtrack) you can get you unhallowed form back right away. No need to help someone else, invade, or beat a Demon boss.

Least, thats how i understand it so far.
post #189 of 1246 Old 10-05-2011, 02:01 PM

I picked this up yesterday when my pre-order hadn't shipped. Today it seems my Collector's Edition I on the way . I came one ring and a few Marrowstones (got sick of farming) shy of a platinum on Demon's Souls; I can't wait to try this game. Like many of you my "to-do" list of games is getting out of hand (a dozen now) but this game has me the most excited and will keep my busy (and frustrated) for ages .
post #190 of 1246 Old 10-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Just started a new sorcerer build. Def. enjoying it so far. Souls arrows certainly make taking down the early level baddies a lot easier. I'm confused about one thing, though. I read somewhere that you can increase the number of soul arrows you have available to you by attuning your magic at a bonfire. Well, I tried that but it doesn't seem to do anything. Does anyone better understand this process: that is, how to increase soul arrow uses, or any magic for that matter, through attunement. I've already leveled up my attunement to where I have four slots, if that helps. Thanks!

Oh, and just loving this game. I really enjoy how tactical and cautious you have to be. Really makes you savor each moment.

post #191 of 1246 Old 10-05-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Aargh! My Amazon order is in the "Shipping Soon" status and I pre-ordered in May. That's what happens when you choose Free Super Saver Shipping. At least Disgaea 4 can still be my focus for now.

Is there true dual wield in Dark Souls? There wasn't any real advantage or combos when dual wielding in Demon's Souls.
post #192 of 1246 Old 10-05-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Found these, going to watch them now. Might have spoilers though.

Beginners Guide

Combat Tutorial

Humanity Guide

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #193 of 1246 Old 10-05-2011, 08:00 PM

I seem to be having a problem with MP I didn't in DS.

No one is summoning me, I have yet to find a soul sign as a Hollowed, and almost all the comment signs don't have any +reps. The ones I've put down have never been +rep'd.

Hoping this is a server getting slammed issue, and not a glitch, or even a feature. They already made summoning harder...
post #194 of 1246 Old 10-05-2011, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Any opinions on a starting class? I was thinking of a Pyromancer or Bandit, I don't want the game to be too hard in the beginning.

post #195 of 1246 Old 10-05-2011, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

i've been invaded once, kicked his ass then proceeded to get lost in the sewers and had a fast demise after summoning a friend to take on the chasm dragon... great scene before you see this guy... pretty hilarious
post #196 of 1246 Old 10-05-2011, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:

I seem to be having a problem with MP I didn't in DS.

No one is summoning me, I have yet to find a soul sign as a Hollowed, and almost all the comment signs don't have any +reps. The ones I've put down have never been +rep'd.

Hoping this is a server getting slammed issue, and not a glitch, or even a feature. They already made summoning harder...

I've been reading various threads all day stating that same issue. Many people aren't getting invaded, and see no summoning signs, and if they do it fails. Many are thinking it's because they decided to use P2P instead of dedicated servers, thus making online spotty at best. I won't get to play much until next week, but I hope they resolve these issues. It is the best feature of the game. This is all speculation and the sky is not falling, but I am keeping my eye on it.
post #197 of 1246 Old 10-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is this game as difficult as the first one? With no save points? I lost $60 on the first one. Great game but way to difficult. I cant play more than 10 hours a week so if this game is as hard as the first one its preety sad. It could be hard, but at least 2 save or checkpoints would be nice.
post #198 of 1246 Old 10-06-2011, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 174
This game is freaking amazing. I find it a LOT less hard then Demon Souls. Actually, at times, on the easy side. Bosses are tough but doable. New loot, items, weapons, etc. are really nice. I like how souls are now used for leveling up and not really used for special things in the game like the first one. But having to use souls to also buy items blows as it prevents you from leveling up as fast.

Graphics are amazing, stunning at times. Lock on is questionable as even the soul arrow, that has a homing feature, misses a LOT you have to also adjust your character position in addiiton to locking on, kind of lame and hopefully gets patched.

All in all, a solid B+ game. Well worth the purchase and SOOOOOOOOOOOOO addictive.

post #199 of 1246 Old 10-06-2011, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post

Is this game as difficult as the first one? With no save points? I lost $60 on the first one. Great game but way to difficult. I cant play more than 10 hours a week so if this game is as hard as the first one its preety sad. It could be hard, but at least 2 save or checkpoints would be nice.

I think it saves for you....like every 3 seconds. You have to deal with your choices.
post #200 of 1246 Old 10-06-2011, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just started a new sorcerer build. Def. enjoying it so far. Souls arrows certainly make taking down the early level baddies a lot easier. I'm confused about one thing, though. I read somewhere that you can increase the number of soul arrows you have available to you by attuning your magic at a bonfire. Well, I tried that but it doesn't seem to do anything. Does anyone better understand this process: that is, how to increase soul arrow uses, or any magic for that matter, through attunement. I've already leveled up my attunement to where I have four slots, if that helps. Thanks!

Oh, and just loving this game. I really enjoy how tactical and cautious you have to be. Really makes you savor each moment.

Maybe you need to buy an improved version and then attune it at the bonfire. I had trouble with my healing spell last night with my Knigth (Paladin ). Then realized I had to attune the magic at the bonfire.
post #201 of 1246 Old 10-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

Any opinions on a starting class? I was thinking of a Pyromancer or Bandit, I don't want the game to be too hard in the beginning.

I would go with the warrior for a melee character. IMO, the knight is slow as molasses and annoying to maneuver. You should be able to easily dispatch most low level characters with the warrior. Or a sorcerer for a magic character. The soul arrow should get you out of trouble early as long as you proceed cautiously. Cast soul arrow from a distance, and then go in for the kill with your dagger.

Also, make sure you kindle bonfires at your earliest convenience. That way, you'll recharge with 10 estus flasks instead of 5. Makes a big difference when it comes to healing.

Quote:

Maybe you need to buy an improved version and then attune it at the bonfire. I had trouble with my healing spell last night with my Knigth (Paladin ). Then realized I had to attune the magic at the bonfire.

So apparantly you need to get a second version of a spell (soul arrow, etc.) from an NPC and then stack it in a second slot in order to increase the number of casts you get.

post #202 of 1246 Old 10-06-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post

Instead of a central hub at the start of the level, there's fireside checkpoints where you can spawn back to. The distances, to me, see less than the whole level kinda thing in DS.

But as for reverting to a previous save to null out your errors, forgetaboutit.
post #203 of 1246 Old 10-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But as for reverting to a previous save to null out your errors, forgetaboutit.

To kind of circumvent this issue, what I've done is create a 2nd character, which I'm using for experimentation. So right now, I have a main character and a secondary character, both at the same bonfire save point in Undead Burg. I play a little more free and loose with the 2nd character, just to get a lay of the land, enemy layout, and if I die it's no big deal. Then I go back with my main character fully prepared for what lays ahead. This might get tedious as the game progresses, but it's working for now as I figure out combat and the finer points of gameplay.

And that's not to say I still don't die a ton, cuz I do!

post #204 of 1246 Old 10-06-2011, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would go with the warrior for a melee character. IMO, the knight is slow as molasses and annoying to maneuver. You should be able to easily dispatch most low level characters with the warrior. Or a sorcerer for a magic character. The soul arrow should get you out of trouble early as long as you proceed cautiously. Cast soul arrow from a distance, and then go in for the kill with your dagger.

Also, make sure you kindle bonfires at your earliest convenience. That way, you'll recharge with 10 estus flasks instead of 5. Makes a big difference when it comes to healing.

So apparantly you need to get a second version of a spell (soul arrow, etc.) from an NPC and then stack it in a second slot in order to increase the number of casts you get.

I made a Knight and yeah, they are really slow to roll and stuff. I think I should removed some items to move more freely. My equip burden is pretty high.

I have 4-5 Humanity, I think I will kindle the first bonefire so I can always go back there to get more flasks.

For the spell thing, I'm not sure, I was just guessing...
post #205 of 1246 Old 10-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I made a Knight and yeah, they are really slow to roll and stuff. I think I should removed some items to move more freely. My equip burden is pretty high.

The only issue there is that your only real option is to remove some armor, which kind of defeats the purpose of being a knight in the first place. If you're not too far in, I would just restart as a character with lighter armor for more mobility. Alternatively, early on put your souls into leveling up endurance, which will increase your carrying capacity. If you get your equip burden below 50%, you'll mover significantly faster.

post #206 of 1246 Old 10-06-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:

To kind of circumvent this issue, what I've done is create a 2nd character, which I'm using for experimentation. So right now, I have a main character and a secondary character, both at the same bonfire save point in Undead Burg. I play a little more free and loose with the 2nd character, just to get a lay of the land, enemy layout, and if I die it's no big deal. Then I go back with my main character fully prepared for what lays ahead. This might get tedious as the game progresses, but it's working for now as I figure out combat and the finer points of gameplay.

And that's not to say I still don't die a ton, cuz I do!

Interesting idea. It's not like you're not gonna burn countless hours anyway, so yeah, it may take extra time but probably already time you were gonna spend on DkS.
post #207 of 1246 Old 10-06-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Just opened my CE. Back cover of the tin was obviously scratched at the factory, someone used a black sharpie to fill in the groove but missed the edges of it. Hilarious.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #208 of 1246 Old 10-06-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Dark Souls - I'm having trouble summoning players?

"The client’s level must fall within 10% (above or below) of the host’s level...."

"...Also, please note that there are several different servers/lobbies that are being used for Dark Souls, so you may not be able to summon a specific friend into your game even if you adhere to the steps above. We can only recommend that you follow the steps above for the best chance at being able to join a specific friends' game."

Those two points may be why some are having trouble finding people online. Being within 10% seems very narrow, especially early on. And perhaps we are in lobbies where no one is doing any summoning/invading. I just want to be connected to everyone, but I guess that would be impossible since this game allows you to be connected throughout the world so the amount of summon signs and whatnot would be overwhelming.
post #209 of 1246 Old 10-06-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only issue there is that your only real option is to remove some armor, which kind of defeats the purpose of being a knight in the first place. If you're not too far in, I would just restart as a character with lighter armor for more mobility. Alternatively, early on put your souls into leveling up endurance, which will increase your carrying capacity. If you get your equip burden below 50%, you'll mover significantly faster.

I don't mind the slow movement of my Knight. I played DS as a Knight without a problem. Just need to get used to the slower rolling and adjust my fighting to it. I'll try to block more and rely less on the roll, except for bosses

My next character will probably a thief or a hunter to be more agile
post #210 of 1246 Old 10-06-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

In Demon's souls I was a mage like guy with Soul arrow and a fast sword (the one based on dex, scimitar?). I'm deciding if I want to make another squishy with good range and mediocre melee or go with a warrior and add some spells. I'm really not good up close with timing my rolls, I stress out and hit the wrong buttons.

Should I stick with my Pyromancer who I managed to die twice before the first boss or go for a less squishy guy?

Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page