post #181 of 1615 Old 10-25-2011, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsobright View Post

what are you guys using for the audio option? i have an avr so i chose "home cinema"

Yeah use that setting if your running a surround setup. WarTapes if you have neighbors or small children wouldnt be a good setting.

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1615 Old 10-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseGuy2k7 View Post

Yeah use that setting if your running a surround setup. WarTapes if you have neighbors or small children wouldnt be a good setting.

What's the difference between War Tapes and Home Cinema? I remember in 2 War Tapes seemed to be a little louder, almost obnoxious. Although if you were standing next to a tank while it was pumping out shells, home cinema got pretty crazy as well.

Anyway, all of you already playing keep us up to date on your early play experiences. Some of us still have a long time before we get to it.
post #183 of 1615 Old 10-25-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 85
This is a PC-centric talk but presumably it has similarities to the console versions: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/battlefield-3/1210622p1.html. Interesting stuff if you like hearing about the work behind the visuals.
post #184 of 1615 Old 10-25-2011, 12:11 PM

Liked: 12
I pre-ordered mine on Monday and just received notice it is shipped for Friday delivery.
post #185 of 1615 Old 10-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOne View Post

What's the difference between War Tapes and Home Cinema? I remember in 2 War Tapes seemed to be a little louder, almost obnoxious. Although if you were standing next to a tank while it was pumping out shells, home cinema got pretty crazy as well.

Anyway, all of you already playing keep us up to date on your early play experiences. Some of us still have a long time before we get to it.

War Tapes I believe adds more low frequency effects for your subwoofer. Way I look at it is thats its like a stereo with bass boost..never a good thing..sounds distorted. I played the PC version last night and the game was so immersive..though i played with triple monitors lol. My PS3 copy will be here by the weekend..so i can play with my cousin. I will give an honest comparision once I play it. So far one negative I can say for the PC version is the large conquest 64 player maps feel congested at times. Some levels everyone is bunched up and its easy pickings for the enemy. Atleast PS3 that wont be a problem and easier matchmaking

PSN:The_Wise_Guy
XBL:DirtySanWiseGuy
Steam:The_Wise_Guy
BF4 PC:The_Wise_Guy

post #186 of 1615 Old 10-25-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Any multiplayer gameplay reviews from AVS members???

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #187 of 1615 Old 10-25-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor_Kevin View Post

Any multiplayer gameplay reviews from AVS members???

i'll let you know in about 2 hours
post #188 of 1615 Old 10-25-2011, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I am at work right now, looking at the UPS envelope that contains my copy of Battlefield 3 for PS3. It is mocking me, my inability to play it.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #189 of 1615 Old 10-25-2011, 03:29 PM

Liked: 11
I'll toss one out there.

I've played MP about 1.5-2hrs. I can say there are some things that remind me of MoH mixed with destruction. Also, some of the buildings remind me of CoD. Sort of a wild mixture of these games.

Recoil is often crazy depending on gun model. Some are uncontrollable IMO. Hit detection seems hit and miss, but mostly hit. The maps 'seem' smaller than BC2, but they say they are bigger. The scope is definitely bigger. Just the overall view and how the horizon just goes on and on. Beautiful and bland at the same time. The uniforms are great. The 3D dorito icon is strange getting used to. No more just aiming under the triangle. It also goes away quickly if the person ducks behind cover.

The sound is amazing. No more needs said about that.

The glitches seems to be mostly fixed. I haven't fallen through the map or seen under it in killcams. I haven't the chance to knife yet, but it will present itself I'm sure. There is somm lag kills though, like if you run through a field and get shot at, you take cover, and still getting shot by a guy clear on the other side of the wall. Don't know what to do about that.

IMHO, they've screwed up vehicle controls. Layouts don't offer BC1 options, so I'm not good at piloting anything. Tanks are beasts, but this is where I'm reminded a bit of Home Front. They do not appear as menacing from the outside as in BC2. They do roar though.

There is even a tank that floats as though its a boat. That's a neat addition. Free falling from off an aircraft carrier or a very high cliff is very cool, but lacks the Assassins Creed thrill. Still a cool thing.

Hope this helps!
post #190 of 1615 Old 10-25-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

sound = awesome

no BFBC1 controls = not awesome

also the recoil is quite OOC on the noob gun
post #191 of 1615 Old 10-26-2011, 08:01 AM

Overall, I am enjoying the game so far. My first impression is the sound is incredible.

Is anyone else getting video game lag? It is bad on mine but not unusable. I have a samsung LCD TV w/ game mode on and the game lag is worse than if I were to play MW2 w/o game mode on.

Maybe it is because I am outputting dolby digital from my new ps3 slim. I am just discovering this problem. I hear that it was messing up my microphone. Maybe it was slowing down my video as well. I may just set it to PCM output and hope that fixes it.

I would be interested to see if anyone else had any discernible video lag.
post #192 of 1615 Old 10-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

I didn't notice any video lag but I have a DLP TV so I never have an issue. Only thing that I saw that was an issue was once my screen was flashing green every couple of seconds. This happened for a couple minutes but never returned. Not sure if it was the map, the game, or something that someone planted that caused the green issue.

Otherwise I was pretty happy with the game. Conquest and rush were fun. It's nice when you have a squad or team that works together instead of running off everywhere. I do run off sometimes, but that is strategic run to cap a undefended flag. Once people get used to the maps I think the gameplay will become more interesting and harder to play.

I think a lot of the players right now are used to the MW tatic of headed straight for the objective, which pretty much gets you killed. I had a squad of people that had one sniper, 2 assault, and I was support (the ammo guy if I have it wrong). Anyway the other team kept coming down the one hallway that was quickest to the flag. We kept on mowing them down and with the 2 health packs and ammo pack down, we weren't going anywhere. The ammo pack is invaluable when you are fortifying your position. Supression fire plus unlimited ammo is the best way to hold the position.
post #193 of 1615 Old 10-26-2011, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3 Lagerman View Post

I would be interested to see if anyone else had any discernible video lag.

I went through a couple chapters in the campaign and was noticing the same thing, but it feels like input lag to me. Increasing the sensitivity didn't help, just makes the aiming more jumpy. Honestly the input lag feels reminiscent of KZ2 and it's enough to doubt my personal enjoyment of this one. I'll give it some more time, see if I adapt.

post #194 of 1615 Old 10-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone with a 3D TV have the prompt that comes on that says put your 3D glasses on now when the game starts up? I thought BF3 didn't support 3D for console. I haven't tried it out since I wanted to game rather then mess with the 3D stuff, but was curious if anyone else tried or got this prompt.
post #195 of 1615 Old 10-26-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TViewer2000 View Post

Does anyone with a 3D TV have the prompt that comes on that says put your 3D glasses on now when the game starts up? I thought BF3 didn't support 3D for console. I haven't tried it out since I wanted to game rather then mess with the 3D stuff, but was curious if anyone else tried or got this prompt.

I don't recall seeing anything related to 3D on start up playing on Panny VT..

PSN ID: Irishman44
post #196 of 1615 Old 10-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car5nc View Post

I don't recall seeing anything related to 3D on start up playing on Panny VT..

Do you have your 3D turned on by default? I think I leave mine on with the input I use.
post #197 of 1615 Old 10-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

the sound is incredible, a tank shell came out of no where and blew up right behind me (5.1 system), it made me jump in my seat... I can't recall a video game ever doing that to me.
post #198 of 1615 Old 10-26-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

I went through a couple chapters in the campaign and was noticing the same thing, but it feels like input lag to me. Increasing the sensitivity didn't help, just makes the aiming more jumpy. Honestly the input lag feels reminiscent of KZ2 and it's enough to doubt my personal enjoyment of this one. I'll give it some more time, see if I adapt.

OK, so I just posted this same problem in the wrong forum (I was in the avs XBOX area haha).

I recently purcahsed a new tv after a TON of research and help from the "input lag wars" thread here on avsforums. It's a 32" viera, and it has almost NO discernible lag. I'm extremely sensitive to it, and BC2 feels JUST like it did on my old CRT tv. That being said, as soon as I hopped onto BF3, it felt like I had MASSIVE input lag...just like you described. I thought maybe I had changed a setting somewhere (like I had previously stated, BC2 was playing with nearly 0 lag the day before), but sadly, I hadn't.

This is extremely disheartening, as BF3 looks incredible...but the amount of input lag absolutely ruins my ability to enjoy this game competitively thus far. Campaign, Multi Player online, or Co-op: it's the same story across the board. Horrible input lag...or is it? I honestly don't know why the controls are so sluggish. I'm honestly surprised more people aren't noticing this, as it makes any kind of aiming in quick situations impossible.

Other than that, this game is pretty damn amazing. BUT, if this isn't something they can fix (or I can fix, with a setting change perhaps?) with a patch, I honestly don't know how long I'll keep it.

Very frustrating
post #199 of 1615 Old 10-26-2011, 11:19 AM

Oh, and for the poster looking for help with flight controls...the co-op mode has a FANTASTIC chopper level where you basically fly around a valley reigning down death for about 20 minutes. GREAT place to practice.

This really helped me: Change your heli controls to legacy. Makes it handle JUST like BC2 (i also inverted my look/flight, but that's just personal preference). It's in the options, near the bottom.

Hope that helps you
post #200 of 1615 Old 10-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TebowforPrez View Post

OK, so I just posted this same problem in the wrong forum (I was in the avs XBOX area haha).

I recently purcahsed a new tv after a TON of research and help from the "input lag wars" thread here on avsforums. It's a 32" viera, and it has almost NO discernible lag. I'm extremely sensitive to it, and BC2 feels JUST like it did on my old CRT tv. That being said, as soon as I hopped onto BF3, it felt like I had MASSIVE input lag...just like you described. I thought maybe I had changed a setting somewhere (like I had previously stated, BC2 was playing with nearly 0 lag the day before), but sadly, I hadn't.

This is extremely disheartening, as BF3 looks incredible...but the amount of input lag absolutely ruins my ability to enjoy this game competitively thus far. Campaign, Multi Player online, or Co-op: it's the same story across the board. Horrible input lag...or is it? I honestly don't know why the controls are so sluggish. I'm honestly surprised more people aren't noticing this, as it makes any kind of aiming in quick situations impossible.

Other than that, this game is pretty damn amazing. BUT, if this isn't something they can fix (or I can fix, with a setting change perhaps?) with a patch, I honestly don't know how long I'll keep it.

Very frustrating

If your TV has Game mode turn it on. That bypasses any processing that your tv will do to clean up the image.
post #201 of 1615 Old 10-26-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TViewer2000 View Post

If your TV has Game mode turn it on. That bypasses any processing that your tv will do to clean up the image.

Ok, I apologize, I might not have been very clear.

I'm completely familiar with how input lag works...hence the reason I shopped around for a new tv recently that had been tested for low levels.

After playing with that tv in the optimum low input lag settings (game mode, processing off, ps3 set to 720p native, etc) for the last few weeks, it has been a dream come true. Battlefield Bad Company 2 plays JUST like it does on my old CRT tv, with 0 input lag.

Utilizing those same settings (game mode, processing off, ps3 set to 720p, etc), and playing Battlefield 3 last night, it FEELS like there is a HUGE amount of input lag.

So, it's like it's built into the game somehow, because OTHER games played on the same tv FEEL like they have NO lag.

Hope that makes sense.
post #202 of 1615 Old 10-26-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:

Utilizing those same settings (game mode, processing off, ps3 set to 720p, etc), and playing Battlefield 3 last night, it FEELS like there is a HUGE amount of input lag.

So, it's like it's built into the game somehow, because OTHER games played on the same tv FEEL like they have NO lag.

+1 Exactly. Same here. I am also in game mode which has very low input lag on other games.
post #203 of 1615 Old 10-26-2011, 01:34 PM

Liked: 13
Ditto on very noticeable input lag on the PS3.
post #204 of 1615 Old 10-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Hello all,
I did not think I was going to like this game, but man was I wrong! The online experience is Amazing! The Maps are Huge! It really gives you the feeling of being in the action! Most of the time crawling on your belly!
post #205 of 1615 Old 10-26-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm completely familiar with how input lag works...hence the reason I shopped around for a new tv recently that had been tested for low levels.

After playing with that tv in the optimum low input lag settings (game mode, processing off, ps3 set to 720p native, etc) for the last few weeks, it has been a dream come true. Battlefield Bad Company 2 plays JUST like it does on my old CRT tv, with 0 input lag.

Hope that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3 Lagerman View Post

+1 Exactly. Same here. I am also in game mode which has very low input lag on other games.

I have logged hundreds of gaming hours on my PS3 in my current setup. I own 19 PS3 games but have played many more than that. I didn't have any problems replaying UC2 last week, no issues playing No More Heroes with Move over last weekend.

Then I play BF3 and I can feel it, the disconnect between what I want to do and when the game does it. Maybe all Battlefield games feel this way (this is my first)? Either way I'll put in some more time, see if I can get used to it.

I will guarantee that it's this game causing the problem, not my setup.

post #206 of 1615 Old 10-26-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
OMG THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I've played BC2 for 14 months now, and it was perfect to control. First thing I noticed with BF3 is that 'disconnect' between what my hands are telling the game to do, and what the game actually does. The timing is way off. It's essentially input lag, and it makes it impossible to coordinate to aim especially if you are moving, AND shooting at a moving target. INSANITY!!!

If this is not fixed, I can care less about ANY of the features - it just gets in the way of enjoying the game for what it is. I sure as heck hope this gets addressed via a patch, it's unbearable.

And no, its not my setup. I can switch back/forth between BC2 and BF3 and the difference is night and day. I estimate probably a 200ms delay. Enough to cause the 'disconnect' that you are referring to.

Quote:

I have logged hundreds of gaming hours on my PS3 in my current setup. I own 19 PS3 games but have played many more than that. I didn't have any problems replaying UC2 last week, no issues playing No More Heroes with Move over last weekend.

Then I play BF3 and I can feel it, the disconnect between what I want to do and when the game does it. Maybe all Battlefield games feel this way (this is my first)? Either way I'll put in some more time, see if I can get used to it.

I will guarantee that it's this game causing the problem, not my setup.

The Moderno Theatre! Slideshow (here, and here!)
Pixar screenplay slideshows here!
post #207 of 1615 Old 10-26-2011, 01:59 PM

Liked: 13
This is not how all Battlefield games do this. . .it was fine in BF:BC2 (which I logged a lot of hours in) and I did not notice egregious lag in the BF3 beta. Something changed with the final code so hopefully DICE will fix it.

Cheers
post #208 of 1615 Old 10-26-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathindustrial View Post

Ditto on very noticeable input lag on the PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathindustrial View Post

This is not how all Battlefield games do this. . .it was fine in BF:BC2 (which I logged a lot of hours in) and I did not notice egregious lag in the BF3 beta. Something changed with the final code so hopefully DICE will fix it.

Cheers

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I'll play with it some more and see if I can stand it. Will be interested to see if DICE even acknowledges the problem, or offers a fix.

post #209 of 1615 Old 10-26-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I'll play with it some more and see if I can stand it. Will be interested to see if DICE even acknowledges the problem, or offers a fix.

Is there a quick way to alert them of the problem? I'm sure they're aware, but if we (as a ps3 community, because the xboxers don't seem to have the same issue) have a place to voice our complaints quickly, maybe they'll respond quickly? Anyone on twitter?
post #210 of 1615 Old 10-26-2011, 03:13 PM

Liked: 12
Sounds more like server/client lag. Does your movement feel jerky or like its stuttering at all? I noticed the same issues on particularly bad days with the beta.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Battlefield 3 , Battlefield 3 Limited Edition Playstation3 Game Ea , Battlefield 3 Premium Edition Playstation3 Game Ea

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page