How to transfer HD movies on flash drive to PS3? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-26-2011, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I recently got a 32 GB flash drive and downloaded some movies and converted them to work with the PS3.
I made a folder on the flash drive called "PS3" then inside of that, a folder called "VIDEOS" like you are supposed to but, when I put the flash drive into my PS3 no flash drive shows up under the video section?
My one concern is that when I tried to put the 22 GB HD movie on to the flash drive it said that it was too large and I soon found out that-that was because the flash drive was originally FAT32, and with FAT32's you can only add 4GB MAX at a time. So I formatted the drive to NTFS and then the movie was able to be put on the flash drive. But then it didn't sow up like I told you?

Anybody know what to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-26-2011, 11:17 PM
Advanced Member

The PS3 will not recognize your NTFS-formatted flash drive. It has to be formatted to FAT32 for it to be recognized. This is a limitation of using USB drives on the PS3. If you wish, you could transfer the file over a wired/wireless network instead of using the USB drive.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-27-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

if you need to format a drive in Windows to FAT32, you'll need to do it via command line if you want anything bigger than a preset limit.

make a shortcut to CMD. Run it as an administrator. "format n: /fs:fat32" where n is the drive letter of the drive you want to format.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-28-2011, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 270
They are right. It will have to be formatted to Fat32. You'll also have to break that HD movie into 4 gig chunks to go on the Fat32 drive. Sounds like you'd be better off streaming to your ps3 using ps3 media server or tversity or something.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #5 of 5 Old 03-01-2011, 09:30 AM

Liked: 11
If you don't want to stream and your PS3 has a big enough hard drive, you can also just copy the file to your PS3 through your network (from your computer not a USB drive).

I myself hate streaming from my computer since it requires me to wire a connection to my PS3 for HD movies (wireless doesn't cut it for me). To get around it I bought a network drive that streams through DLNA. I put all my movies on there and it then shows up as a media server on my PS3. The best part is that it has a gigabit wired connection to my gigabit router which is also wired to my PS3... which is also gigabit. Works great and I think you can get nework drives for like $150 now... mine was 220 like 2 years ago.
Reply PlayStation Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page