PS3 & Netflix No 5.1 Audio with Denon AVR 591 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-14-2011, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a PS3 hooked up via HDMI to my Denon 591 and after the last PS3 update only my 5.1 audio quit working. If I switch Netflix's audio to stereo or if I choose a non 5.1 title, everything works. The Denon shows "Multi In" on the display. A call to Netflix was no help, they suggested my HDMI cable was bad (tried two others, same problem). Blu-Ray's work fine, games work fine, only Netflix. Any ideas? Is anyone else having this problem?

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-21-2011, 06:04 AM

Yes. Just recently my Netflix stopped outputting 5.1 to my Marantz receiver via my ps3 HDMI connection. Prior to late / mid march the 5.1 movies correctly showed up as 5.1 on the receiver.

I have a fat 40 gb ps3. What version do you have?
post #3 of 12 Old 04-22-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 47
i had the same problem. Went back to the ps3 settings and ran the auto setup for audio to make sure everything was set correctly and problem solved. Movies are back to normal in 5.1
post #4 of 12 Old 04-27-2011, 03:21 PM

Just curious--how do you access audio settings on PS3 netflix app?
post #5 of 12 Old 04-29-2011, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiKris View Post

Just curious--how do you access audio settings on PS3 netflix app?

you can't, but if you are referring to what I said, I meant to run the audio setup in the ps3 audio settings again and that should fix the problem.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-29-2011, 07:09 AM

Liked: 12
I just figured the 5.1 was a mistake in labeling. Started watching the Sanctuary series first season. Can someone confirm if it does indeed have 5.1?
post #7 of 12 Old 05-31-2011, 12:26 AM

Sorry to ressurect the thread but I figured out the problem, thanks to whoever posted using automatic config in the sound settings (on my mobile and can't look right now).

The problem is when having dolby digital and dts selected in the audio. When using automatic settings, it does not select these. So I can only assume that when selecting them with manual setup. Netflix tries to use dolby digital as the primary codec, there for the Ps3 doesn't decode the dobly digital plus and send it using PCM.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-18-2012, 11:44 PM

Yo. I have the same receiver and I am having some weird problems too. Watching Insomnia, the surround channels are all mixed up. Now the right speaker puts out what the center speaker should. The other speakers are all pretty faint, yet on. I tried messing with the PS3's settings, no luck. I switched my sound output to an optical cable, and the sound kept going in and out and on the screen of the Denon, the connectivity kept connecting and disconnecting. My Blu Rays work just fine, games just fine, only Netflix is all screwed up. This blows. I also have an original Big Monolith PS3. PS3's have had problems before. I owned Sunshine and the picture in picture behind the scenes function could not be shut off while watching it, so I couldnt even watch the movie itself. It took a dedicated page and about a thousand people on Facebook with the exact same issue all bitching, to get Sony to realize and accept there was a problem, and they sent us all a newly formatted Sunshine disc, which turned out to be the problem, because it conflicted with a PS3 firmware update. My guess is we with this early PS3 version are kinda screwed, and since it is at the end of the console cycle in the next year or 2, it is unlikely this problem will get fixed. Maybe another firmware update will fix it, maybe not. Maybe if we form another Facebook page about Netflix/PS3 woes, and get enough people with the same problem, they again will listen and take action to fix the problems. I just wanted to let you know what you werent alone....
post #9 of 12 Old 10-03-2012, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I have a Denon 987.

I get no sound from netflix movies that use dolby digital plus 5.1.

I do get sound from other netflix movies not mixed that way.

I also get sound if I choose to output the movie in stereo from the submenu.

I have tried within the PS3 audio menu to run it manually selecting DD Plus 5.1 and automatic setup but no luck.

It seems that others have had success running the auto setup but not me.

Any suggestions?
post #10 of 12 Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

I have a Denon 987.
I get no sound from netflix movies that use dolby digital plus 5.1.
I do get sound from other netflix movies not mixed that way.
I also get sound if I choose to output the movie in stereo from the submenu.
I have tried within the PS3 audio menu to run it manually selecting DD Plus 5.1 and automatic setup but no luck.
It seems that others have had success running the auto setup but not me.
Any suggestions?

Hi jedimastergrant, I believe Netflix pass-through 5.1 DD+ audio (bitstream) for compatible receiver to be decoded which your Denon 987 cannot. You could try using a optical cable connection for Netflix.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Ah, so you are saying that netflix only allows DD plus to be passed in bitstream to the AVR? They do not allow it to be decoded in the PS3 and passed through as PCM? That would be too bad because my Denon is a few years old and cannot decode all of the new HD codecs. That is why I have the PS3 set to PCM.

What would changing to an optical do? I can try it to see if it works but just wanting to know what it would change.

btw I called PS3 tech support last night.
They had me reset the PS3 and redo the audio settings. Then uninstall and reinstall netflix. Nothing changed and they said it was netflix fault and I should call them.

So I called netflix tech support as well. The man knew very little about the problem and was not familiar at all with how to fix it. He said that he would send the problem to the team of engineers and see what can be done. So I expect that today there is a room full of highly paid engineers working diligently on my specific problem and they will probably get back to me by lunch.biggrin.gif
post #12 of 12 Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 AM

Jedi - Did you ever get an answer to your problem. I have the same issue. It's super annoying as I just signed up for Netflix and am ready to cancel. All my other streaming apps work perfectly fine. Only Netflix has an issue.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Denon Avr 591 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page