Starhawk Confirmed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 88 Old 04-28-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832

With all the bad news of data theft and a total PSN rebuild, we finally get a little good PS3 news. The long rumored Starhawk is indeed real, and will be officially revealed in May at E3!

http://playstation.systemlink.me/201...ls-leaked.html
Quote:

It may look to be a torrid time for Playstation gamers, with the PSN outage meaning you're stuck with all those single-player games. Eww. However, the world just got much a better place; SystemLink can exclusively reveal that Starhawk, the much-rumoured sequel to 2007's Warhawk, is real - and we've got the first details.

We spoke to a Sony employee who, understandably, wished to remain anonymous. He confirmed to us that a sequel to Warhawk is indeed real, having been in development for a number of years now. It's official title is 'Starhawk'. What follows are all the details we gathered;

- Starhawk will be revealed before E3 2011 - in fact, mid May is the current date for the official public outing.

- The game remains a PS3 exclusive. However, Starhawk will ship on Blu-ray, rather being a digital title on PSN like Warhawk.

-Lightbox Interactive are developing the title after Incognito Entertainment disbanded- The main gameplay elements remain much the same. Starhawk is a third-person shooter, with jeeps, APCs, tanks, and now spaceships.

- According to our source, you cannot fly from a planet into space. Some maps are set on a planet, with dogfights taking place in the air, while others are in space, with small areas for ground combat. The game is still set in another universe, so Earth will not feature.

- The game will retain the slightly cartoonish visuals - no ultra-gritty reboot in sight.

- Starhawk runs on a brand new engine that provides stunning visuals, explaining the jump from digital title to Blu-ray disc.

- While the main body of the same is still online multiplayer, there is a single-player component.

- Starhawk is the game Dylan Jobe can't wait to talk about.

This is the first time that Starhawk has been officially confirmed as in development, despite many rumours, and the first time all the features above have been confirmed. And as for the source's reliability, SystemLink can 100% confirm that this information is real and legitimate.

Gear up for Starhawk's official announcement in the upcoming weeks - hopefully, it should take your mind off the PS3's current woes.

I've long been waiting for some sort of new-gen space/dogfight sim, so this looks right up my alley. Never got into the WH experience, but I hear they did a lot of MP things right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 04-28-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I hope it's true, but this site doesn't give me much confidence considering that they don't even know that Warhawk was also on blu-ray.
post #3 of 88 Old 04-28-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 208
It's great to hear that it is finally being outted. Hopefully it comes with Move support since it's the only way I'll support an online PS3 shooter.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #4 of 88 Old 04-28-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

I'm wondering how well that would work, since it have to be integrated into vehicles as well. It's gonna pose a problem, but I'm interested in their solution.

You know it'll be supported, being a 1st party Sony IP.
post #5 of 88 Old 04-28-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
When I first saw this, I assumed it was the developer themselves outting it. Figured Sony gave them a little nudge to throw some good news out there.

Either way, I think it's inevitable, and I can't wait.

XBL & PSN - Harpua77
post #6 of 88 Old 04-28-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Warhawk was/is still a great game. So many different tactics to indulge in depending on the mood that day.

I still haven't seen an online war game come close to that level of detail, graphics and weapons balance.

I haven't played it in about a year, but this news kinda makes me want to play it again (once the network is back up). I was finally getting decent at flying towards the end.

The only problem with the game was that it was so incredibly hard for new players (me included for a while).

Looking forward to the sequel, and any AVS thread-based silliness we can conjure up along with it .

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #7 of 88 Old 04-28-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I remember lots of time spent in Warhawk, all of it fun. It's really more about tactics than headshots in that game, but skilled shooters are still rewarded. I last played about a year ago before giving my copy to a friend, was still as fun as I remembered.

If they follow the same template they really can't miss with the new one. This time I would hope that they don't go changing the core game mechanics in an already balanced game just to silence a vocal minority (see Warhawk, Uncharted Online). Otherwise they should do it all the same.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #8 of 88 Old 04-28-2011, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

post #9 of 88 Old 04-29-2011, 04:39 AM
Gai
AVS Special Member

Warhawk was great. I hope this lives up to it.

Thanksgiving can be a sham, but it's a sham with yams. It's a yam sham.
post #10 of 88 Old 04-29-2011, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gai View Post

Warhawk was great. I hope this lives up to it.

I sure hope so. I have an embarrassing amount of hours in Warhawk. I can truly say, Warhawk is my favorite game. Ever. BTW, I still fly like shite
post #11 of 88 Old 04-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

man i havn't played in a long time .. need to pick it up again
post #12 of 88 Old 04-29-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

It may look to be a torrid time for Playstation gamers, with the PSN outage meaning you're stuck with all those single-player games. Eww

Ewww? I guess I'm the only one that still rathers single player games instead of rinse and repeat, same thing over and over multiplayer games
post #13 of 88 Old 04-29-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No, you're the only one content to battle hordes of pre-programmed, predictable A.I. enemies instead of having your wits and skills challenged online by real people.

post #14 of 88 Old 04-29-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

No, you're the only one content to battle hordes of pre-programmed, predictable A.I. enemies instead of having your wits and skills challenged online by real people.

Funny post. I agree.

A good game of Warhawk progressed almost like a chess match. Every move had a counter, and a counter to that counter.

Accurately estimating multiple steps ahead was always rewarded, both on a team and personal level.

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #15 of 88 Old 04-29-2011, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Depends on the game of course.
post #16 of 88 Old 04-29-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I like both single and multiplayer games, but multiplayer games have an advantage in how varied the abilities and tactics of an opponent can be. I shouldn't have said "predictable" for A.I. since this area has gotten better in games, but I've seen nothing yet to comapare with going against an actual person.

That type of challenge is what keeps things exciting for me for a longer period of time. I can play a top-tier competitive game for 1,000+ hours easily (not counting the many hours of strategic planning done outside of playing) while even the longest solo campaigns often deliver at most a hundred hours of play time for me (my last being Dragon Age: Origins).

post #17 of 88 Old 04-29-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Depends on the game of course.

...and the people you are playing with online of course and this is what ruins it for me. That and my lifes schedule. Maybe I'm just getting too old, but the countless morons saying OWNZ this and that drives me up the wall. And I don't like games where the only point is run, shoot die ( assuming you do die), run shoot die, catch the f'n flag over and over, toss grenades into this area over and over. No matter how good or bad the other players are I just lose interest within minutes. Every now and then there's a game that I'll just spend some time onine with, KZ2 was my last one ( got all the badges and whatnot) but for the most part every FPS online just looks the same to me.

Yeah, probably just getting old. Granted I was doing online back in the day with really slow phone modems with all the Doom, Quake, Duke variants, so by the time Live came around - been there done that. I can see the appeal with the Team based stuff, but like I said, life gets in the way, I got no time for it.
post #18 of 88 Old 04-29-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

I like both single and multiplayer games, but multiplayer games have an advantage in how varied the abilities and tactics of an opponent can be. I shouldn't have said "predictable" for A.I. since this area has gotten better in games, but I've seen nothing yet to comapare with going against an actual person.

That type of challenge is what keeps things exciting for me for a longer period of time. I can play a top-tier competitive game for 1,000+ hours easily (not counting the many hours of strategic planning done outside of playing) while even the longest solo campaigns often deliver at most a hundred hours of play time for me (my last being Dragon Age: Origins).

I too prefer MP, but at least the oftentimes predictable AI doesn't spawn camp you to the point of rage quitting...

------------------------------------
PSN/XBO: frankthetoad
post #19 of 88 Old 04-29-2011, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
This is great news. I have some great memories of Warhawk. It was one of the first games I bought for the system (of course, back then it was one of the few available!).

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #20 of 88 Old 04-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
lol, no doubt seems backwards, but to each his own.
post #21 of 88 Old 05-07-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Looks like the official announcement will be this upcoming Friday:

Quote:

Due to the incredible amount of games that Sony has to show every E3, it has become a tradition for the publisher to announce games in the days running up to the trade convention. This year, it looks like Sony will be unveiling LightBox Interactive’s debut PS3 title later this month.

Strongly believed to be Starhawk, the follow up to the critical and fan hit Warhawk, the game will finally be revealed on Friday 13th, with the developer’s President, Dylan Jobe, tweeting:
The wait is over next Friday… #DylanLightsTheFuse
Additionally, GTTV have revealed that there will be a “Sony Surprise” during their Friday show, making it highly likely that Starhawk, or whatever the game will finally be called, will be débuted during the show. Described by David Jaffe as “super fresh and cool”, recent rumors suggest that the game will be a full retail release and sport a new game engine.

post #22 of 88 Old 05-07-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Can't wait! Stole your graphic too Joe, hope you don't mind.
post #23 of 88 Old 05-07-2011, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Heh, I stole it myself.

post #24 of 88 Old 05-13-2011, 01:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Starhawk has been officially announced for 2012. Direct feed footage (transformers!) in this interview:

Quick summary:

Quote:

Starhawk is coming exclusively to the PlayStation 3 and will take place in an area called “The Frontier.” It will include a single player story, unlike Warhawk, which focuses on a war over “Rift Energy” or “Blue Gold” to between the two factions Outcasts and Rift Miners, as well as the usual multiplayer modes. Rift Energy plays a big part in both multi and singleplayer, with gamers rewarded with energy for kills and actions and able to spend it as an in-game currency.

Ditching SixAxis for good, Jobe promised a whole new game experience that will be very different to Warhawk, with the first stand out difference being the RTS-like ability to be able to create turrets, structures and even troops. “We wanted to make creating units as easy and visceral as pulling the trigger on a weapon” said Jobe, explaining troop spawning.

GAF.gifs:

post #25 of 88 Old 05-13-2011, 02:27 AM

Drool mechs drool

post #26 of 88 Old 05-13-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The official Starhawk website is up (awesome music!). Santa Monica Studios (God of War 3 developer) aided in bringing the beautiful visuals to this game.

One of the developers confirmed that space battles are in (old school PSOne favorite Colony Wars was mentioned), as well as the inclusion of a variety of map themes including a western setting. Also there is an unannounced replacement vehicle for the tank from Warhawk that blows stuff up.

Quote:

B: There are space battles, yes absolutely. There are big, epic space battles in and around planets and space stations and you can build in space too. We’re not showing all the stories in Starhawk just yet due to the production schedule but we wouldn’t have called the game Starhawk if we couldn’t deliver on the fantasy of flying in space, recalling some of those old Colony Wars games, that kind of stuff.

You will get your fix of space battles in Starhawk.

Fantastic new official trailer!

Preview info:
Quote:

Starhawk, due out in 2012, is being developed by LightBox Interactive, the studio set up by Dylan Jobe and other ex-members of Incognito Entertainment, and Sony Santa Monica.

Quote:

Warhawk launched as a Blu-ray and digitial download. Starhawk, however, will be released as a Blu-ray retail only. Unlike Warhawk, Starhawk features a fully-fledged single-player campaign as well as the multiplayer portion the series is known for.

Players assume the role of Emmett Graves, a Rift miner turned gun for hire altered by Rift Energy, found on the outer reaches of space. The enemy faction is the Outcast, humans turned into monsters following exposure to Rift Energy.

The game has a Wild West in space look and feel. Graves goes in search of his outlaw brother, the leader of the Outcasts. Levels are large and open, designed to offer dynamic gameplay with AI that adapts to the player's actions.

The gameplay hook this time is an RTS-lite element called "Build and Battle". As players kill enemies and other players they gather resources, spent on calling down structures from orbit and placed down on the battlefield as they see fit.

Structures include walls, gates, turrets and landing pads for vehicles. Structures can be demolished, too.

On the multiplayer side, Starhawk features 32-player matches, up to four-player online and offline co-op play, and split-screen gameplay within multiplayer and co-op modes against an endless attack of enemies.

The game supports tournaments, leaderboards, clans and additional friend list and quick matches. There's a community events calendar, ticker tape updates, and plans for a Starhawk Android app.

post #27 of 88 Old 05-13-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Not a fan of the drab color-palette. Makes it look like every other shooter out there. But seeing it in action, I'm sold.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #28 of 88 Old 05-13-2011, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There is more theme variety that hasn't been shown except in concept art (those pics are from just one map). The old west theme is bright and colorful, and of course the epic space battles around stations will be completely unique to the modern FPS/TPS genre.

post #29 of 88 Old 05-13-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
can't wait! it better be early 2012.
post #30 of 88 Old 05-13-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

BTW, the developer video clip does say something about the variety of environments. He says there's at least one map on each of the different moons. Each moon will represent a different environment.

Reply PlayStation Area