PS2 Component Video Output: YPbPr and RGB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-22-2011, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a PlayStation 2 that I am trying to connect to my Sony PVM-1341 monitor. The monitor has an analog RGBS input, with one input and one output for each of red, green, blue, and sync. I have a component (YPbPr) cable for the PS2 and have plugged the Y into green input, Pb into blue input, and Pr into red input. I then have a cable connecting the green output to the sync input. I get a picture for YPbPr that, as expected, is distorted in color (too much green). But when I switch the PS2's component video output to RGB, I get nothing. When I did the same thing on both of my TVs that have a component video (YPbPr) input, I got a scrolling picture that lasted for a few seconds, suggesting a sync incompatibility.

I thought that the PS2's RGB output was sync-on-green. Is the issue that my component video cable is only intended for YPbPr output and for whatever reason doesn't have accommodation for the sync for RGB? Is the PS2's RGB output actually not sync-on-green, or maybe can only be used for PAL systems? (The reason I ask that last question is because I've never seen anything other than RF, composite video, S-video, YPbPr video, and SCART cables for PS2.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-22-2011, 11:50 PM

Liked: 93
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/PVM1344Q.PDF

Looking at page 12 of the manual, it looks like you can hook up RGB without a sync cable and hit a button combination to scan for sync. That may be the missing link. It also looks like the RGB hookup is intended for professional video camera use, and I'd guess is likely just incompatible with what the PS2 spits out without some transcoding. At that point you'd just be better served at buying a new TV to use with it rather than $100 on a transcoder.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-23-2011, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Still can't get it to work right. Though I did try connecting the video output of another source to the sync input after I switched to RGB output mode on the PS2, and that almost got me there: I got a horizontally scrolling picture that was not vertically positioned correctly--I'm assuming because of mistiming of the sync signal with the video. I guess that leaves me to conclude that the PS2 doesn't output sync-on-green after all, or at least that my component cable doesn't support it. In the meantime I'll just use S-video.

Thanks though!
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page