Dragon's Dogma - open world, medieval action from Capcom - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 105 Old 05-15-2012, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Game comes out in a week!

I'm kinda surprised about how excited I am for its release--I haven't picked up a game at release in years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 105 Old 05-15-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

a game should be full screen always.

Those of us with cinemascope screens have been complaining about this for some time... Finally, games are starting to come out with a more filling aspect ratio!

-Suntan
post #33 of 105 Old 05-17-2012, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 233
For those looking to get it on release day next Tuesday, Amazon has a pre-order deal where you get $10 credited to a future purchase.

Reviews are out and they are mostly positive. Difficulty is a notch below Demon Souls, but a notch above Skyrim. The adventure lasts quite a while and the various classes have lots of distinct differences from one another. For example (from a gamer posting at NeoGAF):

Quote:

While a heavy character may have more trouble climbing and will lose stamina faster, they can also use their weight to hang on and prevent flying enemies from taking off, while the rest of the party goes nuts attacking. Lots of attention paid to little details like this, with advantages and disadvantages that cause you to balance your party accordingly in order to compliment each other for any given situation.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #34 of 105 Old 05-17-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Wow!! This is looking awesome!! Since Game of Thrones got such crappy reviews I'm going to switch my Preorder over to this. Thanks for the info JoeBlow!

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #35 of 105 Old 05-22-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Anyone order it? I'm hoping it is the game that Skyrim and Dragon Age never was, an open world Demon Souls. The review look promising, so I got it with a gift card I had. Maybe tonight I can spend some time with it, going to start with a ranger type like Aragorn.
post #36 of 105 Old 05-22-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Let us know your impressions!

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #37 of 105 Old 05-22-2012, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

Anyone order it? I'm hoping it is the game that Skyrim and Dragon Age never was, an open world Demon Souls. The review look promising, so I got it with a gift card I had. Maybe tonight I can spend some time with it, going to start with a ranger type like Aragorn.

The game you're looking for is dark souls.

I don't think capcom has what it takes to do what you're looking for. Just from trailer it looks like a cross of dead rising, Japanese combat game #2, and skyrim.
post #38 of 105 Old 05-22-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Have Dark Souls, not open world in the least.
post #39 of 105 Old 05-22-2012, 03:06 PM

I think there was one loading screen from start to finish (not counting deaths / warping / mp)

Yeah, not a true open world, but a dungeon crawler kinda of open world. True open world games tend to be pretty barren between interesting spots, which is kind of a letdown.
post #40 of 105 Old 05-22-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The game looks and feel like Dark Souls too, the combat and 3rd person perspective is very close. I think they were aiming for the same audience.
post #41 of 105 Old 05-28-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, because I didn't have enough games sitting around gathering dust waiting to be played, I picked up Dragon's Dogma - and I really dig it!

It was a *little* slow to get going, but now I'm off and running.

It's a very traditional RPG in so many ways (HP, levels, potions, etc). But I love the Pawn system! It's so cool to come across other Pawns created by other people that I can bring into the party. I have created my own pawn (Arya Stark) and she seems to be getting used regularly by others as well. I don't know why I like that, but I do - it's kinda cool.

I have also tried several Pawns by others (some I liked more than others) and have settled on a fairly good party I think. Me (Visyras - 14lth level Mage); Arya (15th lvl Strider); Dante (11th level Fighter) and Blyss (11th lvl Fighter).

We're just running around doing quests.

I really like the graphics. Stunning, in some places. I've stopped many a time to take a photo - I'll have to post some.

So far, so good, it's very early, but I'm likin' it.

post #42 of 105 Old 05-30-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Continuing to LOVE this game! Anybody else playing it?

post #43 of 105 Old 05-30-2012, 01:47 PM

Liked: 13
I was extremely turned off by the demo (brain dead NPCs and excessive pop-up dialogs) but I am hearing lots of folks say positive things about the full game.

I am curious for those of you that have it and who have also played Demon's Souls, how close is it to that game? I never got into Demon's Souls due to the cheapness of it (terrible camera, at times flakey controls) which combined with the brutal difficulty meant way too much repetitive grinding and too many unfair deaths.

Does Dragon's Dogma suffer the same sort of issues? Have they fixed the controls to be less awkward since the demo? Does it use the same constant endless respawn mechanism of Demon's Souls or does it behave more like Skyrim where the game world is persistent?

Cheers
post #44 of 105 Old 05-30-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathindustrial View Post

Does Dragon's Dogma suffer the same sort of issues? Have they fixed the controls to be less awkward since the demo? Does it use the same constant endless respawn mechanism of Demon's Souls or does it behave more like Skyrim where the game world is persistent?

Cheers

I've love to help with great answers for you but:

1 - I never played the demo.
2 - Controls have never seemed awkward to me. Seems like every other game on the planet. (Look with right stick, move with left)
3 - Never played Demons Souls. Don't know what "endless respawn" means in that context.

Sorry deathindustrial!

post #45 of 105 Old 05-30-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I DO wish there were more commands to instantly give your Pawn. Right now, there is "Go!"; "Come!"; and "Help!" It'd be nice to have "Heal me" or "Target THAT guy". I'm sure I could think of a few others. (shrug)

post #46 of 105 Old 05-31-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I was extremely turned off by the demo (brain dead NPCs and excessive pop-up dialogs) but I am hearing lots of folks say positive things about the full game.

I am curious for those of you that have it and who have also played Demon's Souls, how close is it to that game? I never got into Demon's Souls due to the cheapness of it (terrible camera, at times flakey controls) which combined with the brutal difficulty meant way too much repetitive grinding and too many unfair deaths.

Cheers

Don't buy it. If you think DD and DS have bad controls, then stick with something else. Dragon's Dogma and Demon's Souls (and Dark Souls) are excellent because of their combat and controls. I think plot related stuff is persistent, but randoms mobs don't lie there forever, they come back, but maybe not in the same spot (but don't level scale).

IF you die in these games, it is because of something you did, there is rarely a cheap unfair death.
post #47 of 105 Old 05-31-2012, 01:10 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

IF you die in these games, it is because of something you did, there is rarely a cheap unfair death.

We must have been playing a different game then as both the lock for weapon attacks such as back stab and the camera were sub-optimal in Demon's Souls. For example, I forget the name of the level but there was a section in an open cave like environment with large wooden platforms that the camera kept swinging around at the worst times leading to cheap deaths (either by falling or making it impossible to aim). For just about any tight hallway siutation (like that one bridge earlier on in the game where you have to avoid the dragon) the camera was your enemy as much as the soldiers and other creatures.

Likewise, the lock on for weapons was often inconsistent making what should have been trivial attacks of low level grunts often end up missing their target. The accuracy / fluidity of the controls was such that they obviously needed to add the lock on in the first place but the implementation was flakey at best.

I appreciate why folks like these games (the atmosphere is great, their are consequences to one's actions, etc.), I just think a lot of what is being called "hardcore" is just poorly implemented game design.

Back to Dragon's Dogma - are the pop-up dialogs toned down in the retail game? In the demo pop-ups were constantly telling you the obvious and thoroughly immersion breaking.

Cheers
post #48 of 105 Old 05-31-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I never had an issue with the camera and the lock on was optional, lots of players don't use it. Even if you did lock on to a mob, you could miss in the Demon games, that was by design. You screw up the timing and you wiff. If you lock onto the wrong mob, well you would know it, you typically use the stick to switch targets or just turn it off quickly. It is not full proof, but the alternative is what? Floaty non-combat like Skyrim? There is no lock on with Dragon's Dogma that I have seen.
post #49 of 105 Old 05-31-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Back to Dragon's Dogma - are the pop-up dialogs toned down in the retail game? In the demo pop-ups were constantly telling you the obvious and thoroughly immersion breaking.

I haven't noticed it to be a problem at all. Never even considered them until I read your question, and I'm 15 hours or so into the game. I think you can even turn them off in the options.

post #50 of 105 Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I finally finished the game at around level 52. Great games, one of the best western RPGs this gen, maybe behind Fallout 3. Yes the pawns talk to much, yes there is lots of back tracking and walking around, but the good news is that the combat never gets old, so random encounters are still fun. NG+ is really cool, the story keeps going and the world changes vastly. I don't know how they handle all the quests for NG+, so far I don't see any repeats. I think I will save it for later, I have put 60 hours in and need a break. Great game, very underrated by the game reviewers.how a boring, stiff game like Skyrim can score 95/100 and Dragon's Dogma gets lower than a 80 is a mystery to me. I hope there is a sequel early next gen.
post #51 of 105 Old 06-22-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Awesome tgable, that's cool. I'm currently around Level 30 and *just* starting to get into the main quest line. I've just been having fun doing side quests and exploring. I agree about the minor nitpicks: they DO talk too much, and you DO have to walk around and backtrack too much, but SO what! Big freakin' deal on both counts (eye roll) - I'm loving this game.

post #52 of 105 Old 06-25-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Do you have to be connected online to get a full sense of the game? I can't say I'll have great connection but want to try the game.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #53 of 105 Old 06-25-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

Do you have to be connected online to get a full sense of the game? I can't say I'll have great connection but want to try the game.

No, but you probably want to be able to connect occasionally to get pawns. If you are connected full time pawn of your level wonders around the world for hire. If you play offline, you can still go into the void area to search and recruit pawns, even if you are not connected to the PSN. I think it pulls the data off Capcom servers directly. You can keep the pawns for many hours if you hire ones above your level. You only change them when they drop to a lower level or you need to change classes.
post #54 of 105 Old 07-02-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Just ordered the game from Amazon, it should be here on Wednesday. I've been hearing far too many people praising the game for me to pass it up. I've been playing the demo and tweaking my characters voice and appearance while waiting. (probably beat that Griffin 20 times already) Why couldn't they let you play another longer quest as your characters instead of the generic party you get for the prologue?

I also really like the new approach to reducing the graphics load. By using Black Bars instead of just blowing up the pixels it keeps the graphics sharp and gets a cinematic look as an added bonus, more games need to do this. Sure, by going with 1024:600p they may have had a game that ran a lot smoother, but this cinematic view give the game a very unique look and almost gives off a LotR vibe.
post #55 of 105 Old 07-02-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good point about the black bars. Frankly, I've never even noticed them while playing, it's a non-issue.

I think you'll love it, it's a great game.

post #56 of 105 Old 07-02-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've spent hours now tweaking how my characters look... I can see why they added this option to the demo. Does the final game let you tweak your characters after starting the game?

Noooooo! 4th of July means I don't get the game until Thursday afternoon. Now I'm sad.
post #57 of 105 Old 07-02-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You can change hair styles and color in the barber shop. Not sure what else you change.
post #58 of 105 Old 07-02-2012, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

You can change hair styles and color in the barber shop. Not sure what else you change.

I looked it up after posting, you can altar hair like you said, you can also get an item that will let you do a one time change and near the end for a large sum of money get an item that lets you tweak at will.
post #59 of 105 Old 07-10-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I borrowed the game and love it so far. However, I cannot stay at inns!
When I try to stay at an inn my main pawn comes back from other adventures...she gives me the presents given from other players but then the "accessing servers" screen loads forever. I have to restart the game. It's to the point where I have to just stand around waiting from night to turn to day...which is like ten minutes or more!
Any thoughts?

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #60 of 105 Old 07-10-2012, 01:58 PM

take a bathroom break?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags