Dragon's Crown: side-scrolling fantasy beat 'em up for the PS3 & Vita - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 132 Old 06-07-2011, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 202

Quote:

Dragon’s Crown is a 4-player online cooperative game, although you can play it by yourself, too. The game will have six different character classes, each of which you can customize. Here’s a look at some character artwork. Ignition say “six classes,” but there are eight characters here.

Wizard: Sorceress:

Fighter: Elf:

Dwarf: Amazon:

Knight: Thief:

Ignition say Dragon’s Crown will have a “nearly endless online adventure”. Your mission in the game is to discover the secret behind some sort of ancient dragon threatening the world. You’ll have to delve into dungeons, find treasure, and strengthen your character.

Dragon's Crown, a PS3 & PS Vita co-op action RPG coming Spring 2012, is my potential sleeper hit game of E3 2011 so far. It's a 2.5 side-scroller not unlike Capcom's immortal fantasy arcade classics of old like:
King of Dragons
Knights of the Round
Dungeons and Dragons: Tower of Doom
Dungeons and Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara

Coming from developer Vanillaware (makers of Odin Sphere), it'll allow for cross co-op play between the two systems. For any fan of this genre, check out the great looking action in this video:

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 132 Old 06-07-2011, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh my, that Sorceress ( . Y . )
post #3 of 132 Old 06-07-2011, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Info on the development of the game translated from Famitsu:

Quote:

Vanillaware's new PS3 and PS Vita title Dragon's Crown is featured in this week's Famitsu through a four page interview with director George Kamitani. Here's a bit of what's leaked out from the interview via the usual flying get suspects.
  • The project got its start 13 years back after Sega Saturn classic Princess Crown. It was originally planned for Dreamcast.
  • Actual development did not begin until after Oboro Muramassa on Wii.
  • The game will have attacks that make use of stage geography.
  • There will be cooperative play elements. The game will support at most four players.
  • Vanillaware is currently seeking programmers to finish work on the project.
  • Kamitani says that he took the project to a number of publishers, but Ignition gave them the okay.
  • Kamitani is a big fan of Golden Axe and King of Dragon, and wanted to try seeing what would happen if those games were evolved while staying 2D.

post #4 of 132 Old 06-08-2011, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
It couldn't have come from a better developer, I loved Odin's Sphere and Muramasa.
post #5 of 132 Old 06-08-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjachicken View Post

Oh my, that Sorceress ( . Y . )

I would normally be into these side scrolling games, but the character designs for the women are ridiculous. No purchase for me.
post #6 of 132 Old 06-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

woohoo, Golden Axe the arcade game that I loved to play that when i was younger. I want to play this game
post #7 of 132 Old 06-08-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

I would normally be into these side scrolling games, but the character designs for the women are ridiculous. No purchase for me.

What's wrong with the Elf and the Amazon? I think it's nice they have realistic sized thighs for warriors, and aren't afraid to portray woman with muscles. And the Sorcerorer seems fairly inline with other imagings of the class in the rest of Fanasty, maybe a bit more buxom than most, but it's nice to see that end of the spectrum since we've been at the opposite end for quite a while in general media
post #8 of 132 Old 06-08-2011, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

- The design for the Sorceress isn't ridiculous if it's based on Christina Hendricks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neceo View Post

woohoo, Golden Axe the arcade game that I loved to play that when i was younger. I want to play this game

- Revenge of Death Adders (sequel to Golden Axe) is hands down my favorite side scroller. I wish more games would emulate RoDA.
post #9 of 132 Old 06-08-2011, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Golden Axe: Revenge of Death=Adder is a fantastic game! Easily my favorite fantasy beat 'em up (Streets of Rage 2 is my favorite beat'em up overall). Easy mode was using Trix for his ranged dashing attack and his healing magic, but I liked playing all the characters. The only thing I liked better in the original GA game is the epic music (which still sounds great today).

post #10 of 132 Old 06-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zBuff View Post

What's wrong with the Elf and the Amazon? I think it's nice they have realistic sized thighs for warriors, and aren't afraid to portray woman with muscles. And the Sorcerorer seems fairly inline with other imagings of the class in the rest of Fanasty, maybe a bit more buxom than most, but it's nice to see that end of the spectrum since we've been at the opposite end for quite a while in general media

You try going outside in just a bra, panties, fishnets and boots

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #11 of 132 Old 06-09-2011, 01:45 AM
Gai
AVS Special Member

Love Vanillaware's stuff. Looking forward to this on Vita.

Thanksgiving can be a sham, but it's a sham with yams. It's a yam sham.
post #12 of 132 Old 06-09-2011, 02:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moothemagiccow View Post
You try going outside in just a bra, panties, fishnets and boots
i'm sure i could but i would make people puke
post #13 of 132 Old 06-09-2011, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Those pictures are ridiculous. I saw the Sorceress and thought, "She has to be using magic to keep that top up."

Interesting looking game, though.

PSN/XBL: bassmonkeee
Wii number: Who cares?
post #14 of 132 Old 06-09-2011, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I think the Amazon was modeled after Ice-T's wife Coco Austin. If you don't know who she is, go a Google Image Search (preferably with SafeSearch off ).
post #15 of 132 Old 06-13-2011, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Amazon has pre-order pages up for both versions (the game will also be digitally offered on the PSN for at least the Vita). It's only $30!

PS3 version
PSV version

post #16 of 132 Old 06-14-2011, 12:02 AM
Gai
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post
Amazon has pre-order pages up for both versions (the game will also be digitally offered on the PSN for at least the Vita). It's only $30!

PS3 version
PSV version
Pre-ordered!

Thanksgiving can be a sham, but it's a sham with yams. It's a yam sham.
post #17 of 132 Old 06-14-2011, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
will buy 0 day. i always dreamed of playing a sword of sodan beat em up with cell shaded graphics in HD.

and from teh creators or Odins spehere it will be awesome. i am sure. and at last a devloper who getts it. online co op gameplay. yes sir. thank god!
post #18 of 132 Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sword of Sodan takes me back to my days of an Amiga fiend. I remember being so impressed by its large, detailed graphics. The gameplay in this Dragon's Crown is closer to Golden Axe because of the 2.5D perspective instead of the strictly 2D perspective of SoS, but it does have a similar impact on the quality of its visuals as the one you mentioned.

post #19 of 132 Old 07-08-2011, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

New details from an interview with one of the producers. For the $30 price tag there is at least 50 hours of adventuring!

Quote:

Degenki PlayStation has posted an interview with Ignition's Kashow Oda about Dragon's Crown, the PS3 and PlayStation Vita game that's being developed by VanillaWare. Here are some of the major points:

On the reaction to the game

Ignition was quite surprised with the tremendous reaction the game got in Japan following its announcement at E3. Regarding the reaction the game got outside of Japan, they'd been expecting it because it VanillaWare CEO George Kamitani is very popular overseas.

On difficulty and balance

The game's difficulty is being set so that beginner players and high level players can play together. Rather than your character rising in level based off how you play, the game takes the direction of having you make your character's skills stronger by using items that you collect. In multiplayer, when a beginner is matched with advanced players and the party tries out a difficult dungeon, the beginner player can obtain powerful items.

On character selection

You're free to make your party any combination of charactrs. You can have everyone be elves, or everyone be sorcerers, for instance. If you opt for elves, who use arrows for their attacks, you'll end up working through the dungeon using long-range attacks.

Some dungeons will be more difficult with certain party formations. However, they're making it so that you can support yourself with items, equipment and magic.

One thing they want players to do is discuss the quests at the start in order to create a strategy.

On game volume

Even at the current point in development, there's already a large number of quests that you can take from the guild.

Some of the game's dungeons are so huge that you won't be able to explore them in full during the course of a single quest. To see the full dungeon, you'll need to play quite a bit.

With all that in mind, the game will have about 40 to 50 hours play time.

On stage formation

Regarding the game flow, rather than clearing stages, it's more like you're clearing quests. For example, when you head out to a dungeon on a quest to find a particular item, you'll be forced to go down a particular route through the dungeon.

Your actions may effect how the stages play out. In the case of a certain boss enemy, you can steal an item from him without him noticing. But if you make him mad, he'll chase you not just through the current stage, but will also pursue you to other dungeons as well.

Similar to this, they're making it so that there are lots of options for how you proceed. You can jump right into the fight straight on, or you can select to flee. There are other options as well -- options that you may have to find in the stage.

Fairies and Thieves

Two of the game's character classes are fairy and thief. These two are exclusively NPC types, though, meaning you don't control them. They accompany your party as support characters as you work through the dungeon. (You'll recall that it was previously said that if you lose a weapon during battle, a thief will have to steal a new weapon from the enemy. Although Oda didn't mention this in the Dengeki interview, his comment helps explain how this system will work.)

Bones

When playing the game offline, you'll find bones around the stages. As previously detailed, those bones are the remains of other players who died in that spot. You can see the status of the player when he died, and also view his dying message.

If you take the bones that you find in the stages to the shrine in your town, you'll be able to revive the dead players into an NPCs. This is called the "Bone Collection System."

You can store a collection of these bones, although there will probably be a limit to the number. The number will be many tens -- they're seeing how many they can fit in based off the hardware limitations.

post #20 of 132 Old 07-08-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I gotta say that it looks pretty sweet, and they seem to have done a good job of recreating, and embellishing, all the standard bits of this type of game.

That said, I don't know if I'm still able to enjoy the old sidescrolling button mashers like this anymore. Perhaps this genre just topped out way back with Golden Axe in my world.

Anyone else feel that way?

As for the sorceress, come on. She'd knock herself unconscious the first time she tried to run up a flight of stairs

-Suntan
post #21 of 132 Old 07-08-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'm the opposite. Side scrolling beat'em ups remain one of favorite genres despite the fact that they don't make many anymore.

In fact, couple of months ago the final version of a fan-made game called Streets of Rage Remake was released on PC after eight years in development. I've poured over sixty hours into it so far, and that doesn't include the 1,000+ hours I've played all of the SoR games in the series over the years.

The fun is in learning how to make use of each character's move set to maximize crowd control and defeat the bosses on tougher difficulties without continuing (i.e. beat the game on one credit). Besides testing your reflexes, being successful in this way requires far deeper tactics than what appears on the surface.

I imagine that Dragon's Crown will hold a lot of that same appeal for people like me who love these type of games. Hopefully they can pull it off.

post #22 of 132 Old 07-08-2011, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Cool game, but the one I'm looking forward to the most is Gravity Daze.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcNFuDXp-QE
joeblow likes this.
post #23 of 132 Old 02-18-2013, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It's still alive!

post #24 of 132 Old 02-18-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Still alive??? Details?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

It's still alive!

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #25 of 132 Old 02-18-2013, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

We have a new trailer; at least that's something. No more info is coming until next month, apparently.

post #26 of 132 Old 03-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 122
RUMOR: JAPAN may be getting this game July 25th of this year:
Quote:
Report: Dragon's Crown out in Japan July 25
by JC Fletcher on Mar 19th 2013 8:45PM

Information reportedly leaked out of this week's Famitsu puts a July 25 release date on the Japanese version of Vanillaware's PS3/Vita fantasy action game Dragon's Crown. The game's official website promises some kind of update on March 21, which would square with the timing of the official magazine release.

The idea that Dragon's Crown is that close to release seems like something of a relief, after a troubled development cycle that saw publishing duties, and development assistance, handed off from Ignition Entertainment to Atlus.

This is a good time to be a fan of this type of game. In addition to Dragon's Crown, Korean ratings point to an updated release of Capcom's Dungeons and Dragons arcade games – on which Vanillaware founder George Kamitani served as producer.
Source: Siliconera

If this turns out to be true, I can only hope that we'll also see a North American release date on the 21st as well.

OtherWorlds - My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
post #27 of 132 Old 03-21-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks. It appears the rumor is true - the company has posted this new, meaty trailer. Man, I can't wait for this game:

ELF

AMAZON

SORCERESS

WIZARD

DWARF

FIGHTER

post #28 of 132 Old 03-21-2013, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Loved Odin Sphere. I'm definitely interested in this...

- Jer
post #29 of 132 Old 03-25-2013, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

A summer release for the U.S. version is confirmed. It'll cost $40 for the Vita cut (which also allows touch screen interaction with objects, hidden areas) and $50 for the PS3 release (which uses a thumbstick controlled cursor to interact). You can use the same save file for either version, but online cross-play not supported! frown.gif

Here's Atlus' summary of the six characters:

The Fighter, who uses his armor and quick-hitting attacks to tank and destroy enemies

The Dwarf, who specializes in getting up close and personal with grapple attacks

The Amazon, who moves quickly and wields a giant axe to unleash massive damage

The Wizard, who blasts fire at single targets or in pillars to incinerate foes

The Elf, who uses her bow and agility to launch devastating volleys and escape danger

The Sorceress, who uses ice magic and summoned skeletons to control the battlefield

post #30 of 132 Old 03-28-2013, 08:34 AM

Not sure if I like the art style or not.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page