Ipod & Ps3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-07-2011, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are you able to play your ipod thru your PS3 connect by USB...with on-screen menu...If so....what setting do I use...I know it is easy with the 360....Thankx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-07-2011, 08:14 AM

Liked: 11
No you can't but go get the free app "iMediaShare".

It is a DLNA media server app akin to tversity or ps3mediaserver on your PC.

You Ipod files then show on you PS3 as a media server. Pics, Videos, and music. I have only tried it out limitedly as I just downloaded it last week and have played around with it too much other than to play a few songs.

It is all wireless.

The only issue may be that the ipod may go to sleep every 10 minutes if you don't touch it.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-07-2011, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

YES you can...I just found away, but I don't like the setup on the PS3

Plug your ipod ( USB ) in.... go to Music on PS3 ...USB Device ( iPod )...push triangle...Display All....Ipod_Control...Music.....then you see all these folders ( F01, F02, F03, etc )......the artwork do show with the music, but isn't oraganize by Artist or Playlist ...not like on the Xbox, where everything is simple.....I guess I'll just wait for Amazon to start the $50.00 gift back award .....this feature is worth the price for me

My Ipod was a Classic 120
post #4 of 12 Old 07-07-2011, 09:43 AM

Ahhh sorry. I have an Ipod TOuch and wrongly forget that is not the only kind of ipod.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-07-2011, 10:01 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHunt13 View Post

YES you can...I just found away, but I don't like the setup on the PS3

Plug your ipod ( USB ) in.... go to Music on PS3 ...USB Device ( iPod )...push triangle...Display All....Ipod_Control...Music.....then you see all these folders ( F01, F02, F03, etc )......the artwork do show with the music, but isn't oraganize by Artist or Playlist ...not like on the Xbox, where everything is simple.....I guess I'll just wait for Amazon to start the $50.00 gift back award .....this feature is worth the price for me

My Ipod was a Classic 120

That's just browsing the iPod's fat32 file structure. If it was a Mac formatted iPod you wouldn't be able to use it at all.

Unfortunately, there's no interfacing between iPod and PS3. Best bet is to export out of whatever you use to mange your iPod to a thumb drive and use that.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-07-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvado78 View Post

No you can't but go get the free app "iMediaShare".

It is a DLNA media server app akin to tversity or ps3mediaserver on your PC.

You Ipod files then show on you PS3 as a media server. Pics, Videos, and music. I have only tried it out limitedly as I just downloaded it last week and have played around with it too much other than to play a few songs.

It is all wireless.

The only issue may be that the ipod may go to sleep every 10 minutes if you don't touch it.

Thanks, this works great with the PS3 and eliminates the hassle of having to sync thru iTunes.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-07-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinhmen View Post

Thanks, this works great with the PS3 and eliminates the hassle of having to sync thru iTunes.

Yeah I was excited when I found it. I have used Tversity in the past but don't always have my computer on but... I do always have my Ipod touch on...
post #8 of 12 Old 07-07-2011, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

That's just browsing the iPod's fat32 file structure. If it was a Mac formatted iPod you wouldn't be able to use it at all.

Unfortunately, there's no interfacing between iPod and PS3. Best bet is to export out of whatever you use to mange your iPod to a thumb drive and use that.

That is easy to say to just use a thumb drive when you have over 7,000 songs. Like to be able to use it at my finger tip...like on the xbox.....Its only a fireware update on the PS3....but again...Sony want to have control over how you listen to your music that you have paid for .
post #9 of 12 Old 07-08-2011, 08:58 AM

I made the mistake of loading 120gb of music onto the PS3 a couple years back. What a nightmare to manage through Sony's interface. It took hours to delete it all off the HD.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-08-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche 911 View Post

I made the mistake of loading 120gb of music onto the PS3 a couple years back. What a nightmare to manage through Sony's interface. It took hours to delete it all off the HD.

I did the same thing when I first got my PS3. A big hassle. Ended up being easier just to get a cheap HTPC for music and video. If Sony really wants the PS3 to start working as a media device, they'll need to address this somehow. Media server software works mostly, but it'd be nice to have something native to the PS3 platform. Even MS, with all their experience in this arena, hasn't been able to figure this out very well for the 360. Could be a big step forward if Sony gets there first.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #11 of 12 Old 07-08-2011, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post
I did the same thing when I first got my PS3. A big hassle. Ended up being easier just to get a cheap HTPC for music and video. If Sony really wants the PS3 to start working as a media device, they'll need to address this somehow. Media server software works mostly, but it'd be nice to have something native to the PS3 platform. Even MS, with all their experience in this arena, hasn't been able to figure this out very well for the 360. Could be a big step forward if Sony gets there first.
I am fairly-new to the Xbox....and don't know when the last time you tried to hook-up a Ipod to the xbox...but I find everything that is on your ipod menu to be the same on the 360.......You have your Albums. Artists, Playlist , Art Cover, Song and Genes all oraganist like on your ipod interface at your finger tip.....I am just waiting for the $50.00 gift coupon from Amazon to pick-up one for my setup in the living room.....you can't beat the $150.00 price tag that the 4gb is going for....and you can always drop another $40.00 for a 250gb hard drive....there are many way you can make use out of the Ps3 and 360...its just not a gaming machine
post #12 of 12 Old 07-08-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHunt13 View Post

I am fairly-new to the Xbox....and don't know when the last time you tried to hook-up a Ipod to the xbox...but I find everything that is on your ipod menu to be the same on the 360.

Yes. Sorry, I was actually referring more generally to how media is accessed and organized on the two consoles. Still a lot of room for improvement.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page