post #1 of 8 Old 07-16-2011, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Here's the writeup from the PSBlog:

Quote:

We are extremely pleased to bring our two God of War titles - God of War: Chains of Olympus and God of War: Ghost of Sparta - to PS3 with the God of War: Origins Collection! The move to HD has allowed us to show off the visual fidelity that these games offer in a whole new way. Both titles went through an in-depth re-mastering process to make them shine like never before. One of the features we're truly excited about is the addition of stereoscopic 3D. Both games look truly awesome with this functionality and the amount of depth in the scenes, the layering and parallax of the backdrops, and the dynamic camera motion throughout really pays off when experienced in all of its 3D splendor.

This collection will also support DualShock controllers so every impact and every bone-crushing moment can now be felt in your hands. This is a huge deal to me personally because a God of War game contains so much over-the-top, heavy hitting action that you really want to feel a tactile connection to Kratos. Now you can! These games are also receiving a new Dolby 5.1 Surround mix to make the audio more enveloping. Everything from character sound effects, to positional audio sources in the world, to the incredible musical score now wrap around you while experiencing these epic games.

Additionally, God of War: Origins Collection will include unique Trophies to be unlocked as you battle your way to the top of Olympus. And there's bonus content, including our special director's roundtable video that was created for the release of Ghost of Sparta. It features an insightful discussion between the five directors of the five different titles in the God of War series and answers some big questions about the story, characters, and developers behind this massive franchise.
We are so proud to bring these games to PlayStation 3 and we hope you enjoy them!

Due for release on 9/13. I dumped my PSP a while ago so I'm stoked for this.

DEAL ALERT: Today Only 7/16/11

Newegg is offering a pre-order for $29.99 w/free shipping. That's $10 off.
Use promo code: EMCYTZT606

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-16-2011, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=god+war
post #3 of 8 Old 07-18-2011, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

I did two searches, didn't show up. Oh well.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #4 of 8 Old 07-18-2011, 06:42 AM

Liked: 832
lol, think it might have been on the 2nd page. Also, never use words like of, the, ect.; AVS is too stupid to remove them, giving you 10,000 positives.

But thanks for the good deal heads up.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-18-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 193
AVS used to pop up names of similar-titled threads before you could post a new one, and it made it easy to find an existing discussion. I don't know why they removed that feature. It actually worked much better at finding exactly what you wanted than the existing two search bars.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #6 of 8 Old 04-12-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 193
My backlog pacing has improved as of late, so I've recently been able to play and complete both GoW Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta in the HD collection on my PS3. I hadn't gotten the PSP releases, so this was a new experience. Both play-throughs were on Hard difficulty with the 3D setting turned on and hints turned off. It took me about seven hours to complete CoO and about ten hours to finish GoS.

Both games ooze high quality. Despite not getting new textures, the HD upgrades look extremely good on the console. The 3D mode is definitely one of the best examples of the tech and does not feel tacked on at all (great sense of depth, debris floating around looks really good, etc.). The sound FX aren't as punchy as I would like, and it didn't have enough of the traditionally epic soundtrack, but for a port of a portable, there really isn't too much to fuss about when it comes to the production values.

Gameplay-wise, what I appreciated a lot is that on Hard difficulty this game is definitely challenging during the first playthrough. A lot of mid-level enemies and bosses put up a teriffic fight as you figure out the best approach to take them out. I was forced to use quite a few attack strategies to beat it, which adds a lot to the experience. Even though I now have better tactics for the next play through (you can keep your upgrades), God difficulty looks to be even tougher so I'm looking forward to it.

CoO is the more straight-forward GoW release. It is similar to the first game of the series in pacing and structure. GoS has a lot more originality to it, and definitely stands out as the stronger release of the two.

Puzzles in both were rather sparse, but there were a couple of good ones to solve. Nothing to challenging, but they help change up the pace a bit.

Overall I'd give CoO an 8.5 and GoS a 9.5. Fans of the series and beat 'em ups in general should definitely check them out.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #7 of 8 Old 04-12-2012, 03:38 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks for the review. It's been sitting on my shelf for a while, guess it's time to open it up!
post #8 of 8 Old 04-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by parallax1 View Post

Thanks for the review. It's been sitting on my shelf for a while, guess it's time to open it up!

Quit slacking and play & beat them.

Then click on here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21901151

And monitor that thread when E3 comes around in less than 2 months we will be getting plenty of new info.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page