Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 151 Old 08-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by armybonzola View Post

Speaking of which, I pulled out my launch day 60 gb system from the storage closet to throw away yesterday and decided not to. I figure someone on here might want it. So if anyone wants an original 60 gb system the blu ray and dvd lasers are shot and it does not have a hard drive. Other than that everything else works. Just pay for shipping and its yours. Going to try and see if I can fit it in a flat rate box.

I'll take it, if mine ylods I can just throw the swap the BD drive and hard drive over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 151 Old 08-16-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

My 60gig launch ps3 actually cools my room down
post #33 of 151 Old 08-16-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post
My RB2 instruments have USB hubs in the receivers. Not sure why you need a hub.

Yeah, I have RB1. No built in hubs on my receivers.
post #34 of 151 Old 08-16-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Bummer. I upgraded to RB2 when TRU put it on sale for $99 for the whole kit. My RB1 drums were shot, and I wanted a new guitar anyway, $99 was a great deal.
post #35 of 151 Old 08-16-2011, 06:53 PM

Just took your advice since my 40GB sounds like it is about to blast off. The secondary fan comes on for all gaming and DVD playback (for some reason it is still quiet for Blu-ray playback). It never did this until recently. I'm really not sure how much more life it has left so I ordered the new 320 GB bundle with Infamous 2.
post #36 of 151 Old 08-17-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzdar View Post

I'll take it, if mine ylods I can just throw the swap the BD drive and hard drive over.

There's a little more to moving over the HDD than just physically moving it.
post #37 of 151 Old 08-17-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
a reball should work if done correctly since it replaces all the garbage sodder that sony uses.

500 gigs FTW.
post #38 of 151 Old 08-18-2011, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon B View Post

Yep.

Gamestop has a deal now to trade in your PS3 fat and get a slim for 124.99.

I would consider that deal but to properly transfer your data you have to have both PS3's connected via ethernet to transfer ALL of your data properly.

You can't just make a back up of your PS3 and restore it to a new PS3 using the backup utility in the PS3. You can back up and restore to a new hard drive in the same PS3 without problem.

This is a problem for me because I have a 500gb drive in my fat. I would have to acquire a new PS3, do the transfer from the fat to the new PS3, backup the new PS3, pop in the 500gb drive and restore to the new PS3.

Well having both PS3's in the house to do the transfer does not allow me to do the Gamestop deal.

My other option is to back up my current PS3, put the original hard drive back in. Trade it in for a new PS3, put the 500 gb in the new PS3, restore the back up and then re-download all my copy written games, and that is quite a bit to have to re-download.

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #39 of 151 Old 08-18-2011, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
My Gamestop let me do it the right way when I did my swap a year ago. I put the new slim on my credit card at full price, took it home, did the hard drive swap and transfer sequence you speak of, then took the phat in for the trade-in. They refunded my card then rang up the special. Your mileage may vary depending on the manager you speak to.
post #40 of 151 Old 08-18-2011, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

My Gamestop let me do it the right way when I did my swap a year ago. I put the new slim on my credit card at full price, took it home, did the hard drive swap and transfer sequence you speak of, then took the phat in for the trade-in. They refunded my card then rang up the special. Your mileage may vary depending on the manager you speak to.

Interesting! I will have to look into that.

I will still have to back up the new one after the transfer so I can get my 500gb in the new PS3.

Thanks

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #41 of 151 Old 08-18-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Lesson learned here, next Gen I'll be sitting on the sidelines and waiting it out a year or two to make sure they have their act together, and I'll grab a 3rd party 5 year warranty too. MS and Sony seem to be cutting corners to drive down costs, and not properly designing these things with cooling systems on par with modern PC's. Hopefully by next gen they learned a little something.

I tried that and got the 40gb model.. Same issues you have and that unit came out about 2yrs later.
post #42 of 151 Old 08-18-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon B View Post

I realize that, but it'd be the same amount of work whether I used that system or a new ps3. It might be worth it to join ps+ so I can save games online so I'll be covered either way if the system dies. We'll see, for now I'm just going to keep using it and hope for the best. Not sure if there's a list of which games have copy projected saves, but I only have 3 or 4 game saves I really care about and I haven't loaded too many games from the ps store (and I can always re-download those anyway).
post #43 of 151 Old 08-18-2011, 12:43 PM

So I decided I'm going to dump my old ps3 and trade in for the new one.. I have been to two gamestops and they won't let me do the transfers as mentioned above.

Does anyone know if I back up my saves online and some of my bigger downloaded games will they work on the new ps3 or am I going to run into games that won't let me run then on a new ps3?
post #44 of 151 Old 08-19-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post
I sold my launch 60gb in December for just under 5 bills. It was still running strong and I loved her dearly, I just couldn't shake the though she was going to ylod on me. The only things I miss was the look (still prefer the old phatty look) and the convenience of the ps2 BC. I repaired misaligned laser in an old ps2 that a friend was dumping, so I have that but the convenience was nice. That is a non issue for me anymore since the only reason I keep the ps2 around is for my bi-annual Metal Gear fix and the HD collection fixes that.
How'd you manage selling it for that much? Checking ebay, I see them selling for just around $175.00 or so. I have my launch unit 60 GB in a coffin from Sony, ready to ship out for a $100 refurb slim. I'm still in debate mode. The reflow fix seems easy enough, but I really now prefer the form factor of the slim.
post #45 of 151 Old 08-19-2011, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwright77 View Post

How'd you manage selling it for that much? Checking ebay, I see them selling for just around $175.00 or so. I have my launch unit 60 GB in a coffin from Sony, ready to ship out for a $100 refurb slim. I'm still in debate mode. The reflow fix seems easy enough, but I really now prefer the form factor of the slim.

Just checked eBay and I see a bunch selling/sold for right around the 300.00 mark.

As far as how I sold mine for that price:

I take immaculate care of my stuff.

Had everything is came with at purchase in perfect condition (cables, controllers, paper work, boxing, etc)

I have a great ebay history with bigger ticket electronic items.

I include an insane amount of pictures of it, from every angle. Report and show every little scuff or scratch (if you have a little scratch on something, anything, and your open about it, people trust the listing more),

It did have an upgraded hard drive.

Threw in the Talladega Nights bluray it originally came with and a few old games (Madden 09, FIFA 09, stuff like that)

Even though I never had the YLoD I did open the thing every six months and give is thorough cleaning, which I was open about in the listing.

And most importantly, I listed the auction to end three weeks before Christmas, with the auction ending at around 9-10 pm EST on a Sunday, giving people in the US time to be in front of a computer to bid against themselves.

Luck does a play a part in it to. The guy who wanted it was a father who wrote me on eBay wanting it for his sons birthday, which was four days after auction end. I assured him that if he won, and was willing to pay for two day shipping, I'd get it out early Monday morning for him so he'd get it in time. He won an couldn't be happier. Gave glowing feed back. I assume she's still going strong, as I have not heard back from him. Then again I go in depth on the listing and in email conversations about PS3 YLoD and how will eventually fail, so there are no unpleasant surprises for the buyer down the road. I my experience, info and honesty tends to work very well in getting bids with stuff like that on eBay.

PSN: futurecode
post #46 of 151 Old 08-19-2011, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I sold my 60 gig phat last nite for $185 via Craigslist. I figure, that's only $65 less than the cost of a brand new PS3 (not counting sales tax). The peace of mind that comes with a new one year warranty, along with not having to hear the turbo fan mode is worth it imo.

I'm just sitting on the $185 for now tho, cause I'm waiting to find a deal in which you buy a new PS3 and they throw in a copy of Uncharted 2 or something like that. Fry's always does something like that (but unfortunately they charge tax). I guess I need to wait for Amazon to offer up some bonus deal like that. I primarily play all my games on PC now, so I can afford to wait for the deal.
post #47 of 151 Old 08-20-2011, 04:31 PM

I just got the 320gig from Gamestop with Infamus 2 tossed in (minus the trade in of my 40gig ps3+$50). They would have given me $25 for it right out of the box but I put the game on ebay hoping for a bit more? Might be a way to help offset the tax?

Now off to download all my old games. The worst part is all the patches that have to be downloaded again!
post #48 of 151 Old 08-21-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

a reball should work if done correctly since it replaces all the garbage sodder that sony uses.

I looked into it, and that's only partially true. Everyone that offers it only offers to replace the RSX solder. You still have the Cell chip, the ram to both chips that's very close to heat sources, and the rest of the Mobo. There's no guarantee the heat won't damage other components eventually, and everything points to it being a longer solution, not a permanent one. But for $70-100 they're asking for a reball, giving Sony $100 and flipping it as a refurb with a 90 day warranty seems like the smarter idea.

Plus the tin-lead solder has other issues. The US military has refused to allow it in their use. It also has has some problems with tin wiskers

Simply put it, it's a cooling and materials flaw and you can't really fix that.

If you really want to be sure you PS3 phat is around, your best bet is to remove everything and mod it into a HTPC case with a proper cooling solution. Might not save it forever from the crap solder, but it will ensure temps aren't excessive as they are now.
post #49 of 151 Old 08-22-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I picked up a slim almost a year ago just because of this. I still have my phat, but it is a backup unit since their prices have fallen flat.

Ditto. I did the same thing. Looking to off load my 60GB phatty. The price drop has killed the price on them--Gamestop will only give $75. lol. I'll let it rot in the box before I trade it for that price.
post #50 of 151 Old 08-22-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The first two generations will play SACD. There are a group of people who want that ability. PS3SACD.com is a site dedicated to that. You might try posting there or other audio sites, you might get a better offer than $75.
post #51 of 151 Old 08-22-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm2003 View Post

Ditto. I did the same thing. Looking to off load my 60GB phatty. The price drop has killed the price on them--Gamestop will only give $75. lol. I'll let it rot in the box before I trade it for that price.

Plus an additional $50 toward hardware. So you could get $125 toward a new PS3.

*EDIT* They just changed the program, now it's: "Trade any ORIGINAL PS3 and get a new 160GB PS3 for $124.99 (or $125 credit toward any other new PS3 model)" OR "Trade any SLIM PS3 and get a new 160GB PS3 for $99.99 (or $150 credit toward any other new PS3 model)."
post #52 of 151 Old 08-23-2011, 11:06 AM

Liked: 22
I have an 80GB phat. I swapped the hard drive for a 320GB awhile back.

How do I go about swapping the game data to a new slim? Do I need both consoles on hand at the same time, or can I just back up the data to the existing 320GB, trade in the phat + 80GB stock hard drive, and then put the existing 320GB in the new slim?

I can’t remember how it all works.
post #53 of 151 Old 08-23-2011, 02:51 PM

*EDIT* They just changed the program, now it's: "Trade any ORIGINAL PS3 and get a new 160GB PS3 for $124.99 (or $125 credit toward any other new PS3 model)" OR "Trade any SLIM PS3 and get a new 160GB PS3 for $99.99 (or $150 credit toward any other new PS3 model)."[/quote]

I just made this deal at Gamestop.I traded in a 80gb ( Motorstorm ) that I use a Heatgun and re-paste about 7 months ago, but was making a fan noise like it was ready to take-off.....I receive a $125.00 credit in which I pick-up the 160GB for $249.99......Out the door I got the NEW SLIM for $146.86 total after the 8.75% tax .I thought this was the best deal at this time before it when out again.....Have only 2 or 3 PS2 racing game, plus they don't look to good on a Sony 50 inch screen

Things they ask for:

AC Power cord
AV Cable
USB Cable
Sisaxis Controller
Printed Book

Plus they do hook it up in store with your cables...and loadup a game to see if it work

PS...the warranty label was off and no box
post #54 of 151 Old 08-23-2011, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm, I will have to track down the book, thanks for pointing that out. I will be trading in my 40GB once I de-activate all of my friend's accounts on my PS3.
post #55 of 151 Old 08-23-2011, 04:49 PM

I would guess they ask for the printed book for 2 reasons.... more likely that it isn't stolen and they can't find or locate them anymore

As i think about it more........the GameStop is a good deal for a machine that was going to YLOD at any momet...better to sell it to GameStop then to someone on eBay......Just last week the Slim 160GB PS3 was going for $299.99....this was like me trading it in for $175.00......its the same PS3

PS...for some reason you don't want to buy another PS3...they will give you a $120.. store credit
post #56 of 151 Old 08-26-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

This warning came 3 months too late for me

PSN: Zetram00
MGO: Tez $$
post #57 of 151 Old 08-29-2011, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Currently - 9/5 @ GS:

Trade in your old PS3 for a new PS3. Slim models will catch a $150 credit costing only $100 for a new one. Old models will catch $125 costing only $125 for a new PS3.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/specialty/tradeins/

Gonna bite on this and unload my YLOD phat.
post #58 of 151 Old 08-29-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post

I have an 80GB phat. I swapped the hard drive for a 320GB awhile back.

How do I go about swapping the game data to a new slim? Do I need both consoles on hand at the same time, or can I just back up the data to the existing 320GB, trade in the phat + 80GB stock hard drive, and then put the existing 320GB in the new slim?

I can't remember how it all works.

I'm pretty sure you can't just put the 320GB in the new slim as it will format it once it boots up. What I'm unclear about is if you still need another spare HD to do a formal backup/restore, or if you can push all your relevant save game data to the cloud (using PS+) and then pull down all your downloaded content from the cloud and store after you're up and running on the new PS.

I'm in the same boat, but have been hesitant to do this because of the transfer hassle. I don't log too many game hours over a given week- which is probably why my phat MGS4 edition is still going strong- but I've been wondering lately whether my time is running out.
post #59 of 151 Old 08-29-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Currently - 9/5 @ GS:

Trade in your old PS3 for a new PS3. Slim models will catch a $150 credit costing only $100 for a new one. Old models will catch $125 costing only $125 for a new PS3.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/specialty/tradeins/

Gonna bite on this and unload my YLOD phat.

This is how they've been doing it for a week (posted earlier). You scared me for a second because I thought they increased the trade in from the amount I got just a few days ago.
post #60 of 151 Old 08-29-2011, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, forgot you posted that here.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page