If you have a Phat, Sell it. A warning from Refurb land. - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 151 Old 08-30-2011, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
What if you have everything but the manual? Can you just print out the .PDF that is available for download at http://www.playstation.com/manual/pd...2_03-1.5_2.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 151 Old 08-30-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 61
When I called them they didn't mention that a manual was required. I gave them one anyway, but it doesn't hurt to call and see if they need it. I also gave them a 2' power cord and 2' usb charger. They weren't happy with the length of the power cord, but there is no requirement on cord length. Sony paid me back though, since the slim's power cord is extremely short, and you can't swap it out since it's not a standard PC cord. I had to use an extension cord. Lame.

I think I only have 230/298 GB left after I installed the freebie PS+ games (Infamous, LBP, etc.) and DC Universe Online.
post #63 of 151 Old 08-30-2011, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I'm gonna take advantage of this deal. So is this all I need to do with my 40gb ps3: copy all my saved games on a flash drive to put on my new one later, deactivate my account (game/video). Do I need to delete all my psn games I bought and everything else before I trade it in? Am I still going to be able to use my psn id on the new ps3? Thanks
post #64 of 151 Old 08-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Can an external hd be used to perform the back up? If so, does it need to be empty?
post #65 of 151 Old 08-30-2011, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero918 View Post

I think I'm gonna take advantage of this deal. So is this all I need to do with my 40gb ps3: copy all my saved games on a flash drive to put on my new one later, deactivate my account (game/video). Do I need to delete all my psn games I bought and everything else before I trade it in? Am I still going to be able to use my psn id on the new ps3? Thanks

You don't need to delete everything, but I did. I deactivated all accounts, deleted all accounts, and then formatted the PS3.
post #66 of 151 Old 09-04-2011, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 832
Well got myself a slim.

Couldn't pass up the $125 credit / $125 for a new system deal.

Jerks at GS took off $30 from my credit though because the controller was missing the rubber on the left stick (Damn you GT5!). Even though it was a DS3 (not sixaxis) and still worked perfectly. Then they even kept it too (and will probably re-purpose it). That right there will net them $75 minus the cost to fix the stick.

Whatever.

Got a 160GB new Slim for $165 after tax. My Reflowed the YLOD refurb launch unit and redid the thermal paste so it should last through testing. Surprisingly they didn't even test it before I was out the door, and took my word that it was working.

Hopefully Karma doesn't bite me in the butt, but to be fair it was fixed and was working fine as is. It could last a week, or it could last 3 years. They could refuse launch units if they choose to. Plus, GS itself has built up plenty of bad karma itself in my dealings with them. When it comes down to doing whats right, or doing whats best for the bottom line, well, I know what they'd do. So, with them, I have no qualms with taking the same route.

"Want a year warranty on that?" Ha, no thanks, Visa doubles the manufactures warranty for free.

Ahh well. Hopefully these slims hold up better. It really is amazing how much quieter it is, and it seems to run marginally cooler than the launch units did. still pretty warm to the touch, but not burning hot and the fan isn't sounding like a jet engine intake. These slims sure are ugly though. Once the warranty is up, I'll probably pull her apart, do some cleaning and possibly some case modding to make her shine a little more.
post #67 of 151 Old 09-05-2011, 08:54 AM

Today Monday 5th of Sept is the last day for the trade-in at GameStop....
post #68 of 151 Old 09-06-2011, 11:10 AM

For what its worth, I went through 3 PHATs - original purchased on launch day, plus 2 refurbs. YLOD on on all of them, except the last one which I sent back right away as the fan was clicking - sounded like a motorcycle. I immediately sold the replacement they sent, which looked like a very pristine unit still in shrink-wrap.

I got nowhere with Playstation customer support, so I called Sony customer support (not SCEA) and spoke to a supervisor. I explained that I was a long time customer, purchased it for $700 on launch, and had already paid an extra $150 for the first refurb, etc. They waived the fee on the subsequent refurb, so that might be worth a try.
post #69 of 151 Old 10-12-2011, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I finally bought a 320GB/Infamous 2 bundle at BB. Does anyone know of an easy way to transfer game saves/download content from one system to the next?

I’ve tried to network both systems with an Ethernet cable and use the data transfer utility with no luck. I’ve also tried the backup data utility using an external hard drive with no luck, and there’s a disclaimer saying that certain data cannot be transferred because of copyright/piracy issues. Anyone know what exactly can’t be transferred? I’ve deleted all game demos, videos, and any old game & game save data that I don’t need any more.

I don’t mind having to re-download map packs and add-ons. I don’t have that many. I guess there’s always the cloud alternative with PS plus if nothing else.
post #70 of 151 Old 10-12-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

The only other solution I see is to have PS+ and use the cloud to transfer the saves.
post #71 of 151 Old 10-12-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post

I finally bought a 320GB/Infamous 2 bundle at BB. Does anyone know of an easy way to transfer game saves/download content from one system to the next?

I've tried to network both systems with an Ethernet cable and use the data transfer utility with no luck. I've also tried the backup data utility using an external hard drive with no luck, and there's a disclaimer saying that certain data cannot be transferred because of copyright/piracy issues. Anyone know what exactly can't be transferred? I've deleted all game demos, videos, and any old game & game save data that I don't need any more.

I don't mind having to re-download map packs and add-ons. I don't have that many. I guess there's always the cloud alternative with PS plus if nothing else.

PS3 has a Data Transfer Utility- hook the two systems together via cat5 cable and go to town. Detailed instructions here:

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...erutility.html

I'm thinking about replacing my phat as a preemptive strike against failure. Got mine in June 2007, one of the last original BC/60GB versions. Sony replaced the BD drive under warranty in 2008, literally one week before the warranty expired. I'm torn because the one I have is working fine yet I know it's only a matter of time. The fan tends to run at level three a little more than it used to, the BD drive is getting louder when inserting/ejecting discs. I know It would sell well while it still works as folks covet the original BC models, I just hate to replace something that's working well. Maybe I'll bite when the UC3 bundle is available since I'm getting that game anyway.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #72 of 151 Old 10-12-2011, 11:19 AM

I’ve tried the data transfer utility. I’ve tried two different working cat5 cables, but it didn’t work. I got to the screen that says “waiting to transfer” (or something similar), and then after about 10 minutes it just stops and tells me that I either an ethernet cable is unplugged, or the other system is powered off. I tried several times last night with no luck.

Both systems are updated to the latest firmware. I’m not sure why it wouldn’t transfer.
With the purchase of the new PS3, I get PS+ for 30 days, so I will try the cloud service and hope it doesn’t take forever.

I also hated to spend the cash on a new system as a preemptive strike against failure. My phat 80GB was working fine. But like you said, recently the fan would run louder, the BD drive has definitely gotten louder, and I didn’t want to lose all my data. It’s too bad, as I much prefer the looks of the phat over the slim.

I’ve been wanting a media extender for the bedroom anyway, so my old phat will go there.
post #73 of 151 Old 10-12-2011, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post

I've tried the data transfer utility. I've tried two different working cat5 cables, but it didn't work. I got to the screen that says waiting to transfer (or something similar), and then after about 10 minutes it just stops and tells me that I either an ethernet cable is unplugged, or the other system is powered off. I tried several times last night with no luck.

Both systems are updated to the latest firmware. I'm not sure why it wouldn't transfer.
With the purchase of the new PS3, I get PS+ for 30 days, so I will try the cloud service and hope it doesn't take forever.

I also hated to spend the cash on a new system as a preemptive strike against failure. My phat 80GB was working fine. But like you said, recently the fan would run louder, the BD drive has definitely gotten louder, and I didn't want to lose all my data. It's too bad, as I much prefer the looks of the phat over the slim.

I've been wanting a media extender for the bedroom anyway, so my old phat will go there.

Sorry my reading was lackluster. The data transfer should work fine if there aren't any problems with either console. Might want a Sony rep to walk you through it, maybe you missed a step?

Also you can't use the backup to external HDD anyway- those can only be loaded into the PS3 they came from.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #74 of 151 Old 10-13-2011, 07:00 AM

Guys,

Since patch 3.70 my 4 yr old PS3 has been acting strangely. I d/l'ed the update a while ago and threw in KZ3. Immediately I got sparkles on my screen and intermittent black outs making playing KZ3 unplayable. Shut it off and let it sit for like 24 days or so.
Last night booted it up and had to update to 3.72. No problem, took all of 5 minutes. XMB, PS Store looks fine, no sparkles or black outs. Threw in Blops to meet up with some friends and it would not even load, black screen. Had to do a hard shutdown (power button on back). Repeated the process again.
Decided to try Infamous off the harddrive to see if it was a laser problem. Nope, Infamous was unplayable with the sparkles and intermittent black outs again.
Not sure what is going on here. Can't be my receiver/HDMI cables as my TV programming is fine thru the receiver and so it XMB and the Store while using the PS.
Anyone have a clue on this one?

Luke
post #75 of 151 Old 10-13-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukedog17 View Post

Luke

Check out my post on this thread - the only thing I could conclude is signal output in games is less than XMB and movies -

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19818495
post #76 of 151 Old 10-13-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

Sorry my reading was lackluster. The data transfer should work fine if there aren't any problems with either console. Might want a Sony rep to walk you through it, maybe you missed a step?

Ehhh, it's pretty straightforward. Connect both systems via cat5, then power on systems. Set phat ps3 to send data, set slim to receive data. That's it. And it didn't work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

Also you can't use the backup to external HDD anyway- those can only be loaded into the PS3 they came from.

Well dang. I finally got it to transfer to the external last night. Took about an hour and 15 minutes.

I guess I will try the cloud service.
post #77 of 151 Old 10-14-2011, 09:47 AM

Cloud service worked. Redownloaded all my map packs.

New slim is super quiet.
post #78 of 151 Old 10-14-2011, 01:07 PM

Anyone esle care to chime in here? I don't believe it is an HDMI issue.

Quote:

Guys,

Since patch 3.70 my 4 yr old PS3 has been acting strangely. I d/l'ed the update a while ago and threw in KZ3. Immediately I got sparkles on my screen and intermittent black outs making playing KZ3 unplayable. Shut it off and let it sit for like 24 days or so.
Last night booted it up and had to update to 3.72. No problem, took all of 5 minutes. XMB, PS Store looks fine, no sparkles or black outs. Threw in Blops to meet up with some friends and it would not even load, black screen. Had to do a hard shutdown (power button on back). Repeated the process again.
Decided to try Infamous off the harddrive to see if it was a laser problem. Nope, Infamous was unplayable with the sparkles and intermittent black outs again.
Not sure what is going on here. Can't be my receiver/HDMI cables as my TV programming is fine thru the receiver and so it XMB and the Store while using the PS.

Luke

post #79 of 151 Old 10-14-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:

Anyone esle care to chime in here? I don't believe it is an HDMI issue.

Are you absolutely certain that the receiver is fine? Only reason I ask is that something similar happened to me recently, and I ended up buying myself a new PS3 slim when it turns out I didn't need it. (Though upgrading to the slim wasn't a bad thing, and thanks to some store credit and trade in along with some other things that were done, the new slim didn't cost me a whole lot).

I started to notice that when I would turn on my PS3 and move around in the XMB, after a little while the video would get corrupted, then the image on screen would seem to tear and lock up, then my TV would display "No Signal." At first, it would return to normal after a little while, and it never happened during a game. It was getting to the game that was the problem. In the beginning, this was very intermittent and didn't happen all that often. As time went by, it started to happen more and more. I thought that perhaps my HDMI cable had gone bad, so I replaced it. For a little while, it worked fine. Then the symptoms came back.

Finally, I decided that the HDMI connection in the PS3 must be going, so time to upgrade to the slim while I could still access the stuff on my fat. Got the new slim, upgraded the HDD to a 500 GB one like my fat, and connected the slim up to the HDMI input and just hooked the fat up to a standard composite connection in order to do the data transfer. While the composite connection looked crappy, the video issues never came up on the fat. Shockingly, a couple of times the video issues showed up with the slim. WTF?!!!!!!

After getting everything transferred over from the fat to the slim, I then decided to try one last thing. I moved my PS3 connection from HDMI4 to HDMI2 on the back of my Onkyo TX-SR606S receiver. Video problem completely gone and has not shown up. My cable TV connection is through HDMI1 on the receiver, and hasn't had any issues. Apparently, the problem came from the HDMI4 connection on my receiver. I guess over the three years or so that I've had it, it has degraded and gone bad. I'm not getting the handshake issue which I hear has plagued these receivers, so that's a positive.

So for me, I thought that the receiver and cables were just fine, but it turns out the receiver was indeed the issue. Once the connection was switched, everything has become "back to normal" for me. If you can, I would change up which input your PS3 is going through, or perhaps try it out on a different TV to see if it is indeed the receiver with a camouflaged problem.
post #80 of 151 Old 10-26-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 410
It looks like the Uncharted 3 bundle (out Nov. 1st) is replacing the Infamous 2 bundle. Same price, same console version (I assume?) and those reviews for U3 pushed me over the edge.

I'm replacing my aging-but-still-working-yet-somewhat-loud launch 60gig with this. I hope I get a good price for the old console.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up on the dying launch PS3s, I hope the data transfer goes well.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #81 of 151 Old 10-26-2011, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

It looks like the Uncharted 3 bundle (out Nov. 1st) is replacing the Infamous 2 bundle. Same price, same console version (I assume?) and those reviews for U3 pushed me over the edge.

I'm replacing my aging-but-still-working-yet-somewhat-loud launch 60gig with this. I hope I get a good price for the old console.

Thanks to the OP for the heads up on the dying launch PS3s, I hope the data transfer goes well.

I sold my 60gb last week for $275, with 2 controls and a game. I never had a single issue with it, but I wanted to take advantage of this years black friday deals by grabbing a new 320gb slim PS3( with U3), and, well, the PS2 BC is a non-issue for me at this point( seeing as my son has a slim ps2 if I ever have the urge to play an old ps2 game). Hoping I can get this bundle for BF, hopefully with some other goodies thrown in to sweeten the deal even more.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #82 of 151 Old 10-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I am going to buy this bundle, I can't wait till BF because my 20 gig won't read discs. I am done being any early adopter, I paid over 500 for my ps3. That is $100 a year. I guess it was worth it. My new PS3 will sit on a laptop cooler, I can promise you that.
post #83 of 151 Old 10-27-2011, 04:23 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

I am going to buy this bundle, I can't wait till BF because my 20 gig won't read discs. I am done being any early adopter, I paid over 500 for my ps3. That is $100 a year. I guess it was worth it. My new PS3 will sit on a laptop cooler, I can promise you that.

You guess it was worth it? Lets see what $100 a year breaks down to, 12 months at $8.33 per month, 52 weeks at $1.92 per week, 365 days at $0.27 per day. Do you buy a coffee every day at places like Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts? Do you buy a soda every day at work? ETC. If so you spend more per year, week, day than you did for the PS3. You should also be upset that you can now get a PS3 for $244.99 at Dell with a 160 gig HDD. Why thats less than half of what you paid and you get 8 times the HDD . Hell for less than $20 I can replace the lens on a PS3 or if I feel lazy I can buy the whole thing for about $70. Quit whining and think of all the enjoyment the PS3 has given you.
post #84 of 151 Old 10-27-2011, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

My recently sold PS3 ( to its credit) lasted 4+ years( I'm on my third 360 since 2006). I'm contend to wait a few years into the next gen for the hardware to mature, and price to drop.

post #85 of 151 Old 10-27-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

You guess it was worth it? Lets see what $100 a year breaks down to, 12 months at $8.33 per month, 52 weeks at $1.92 per week, 365 days at $0.27 per day. Do you buy a coffee every day at places like Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts? Do you buy a soda every day at work? ETC. If so you spend more per year, week, day than you did for the PS3. You should also be upset that you can now get a PS3 for $244.99 at Dell with a 160 gig HDD. Why thats less than half of what you paid and you get 8 times the HDD . Hell for less than $20 I can replace the lens on a PS3 or if I feel lazy I can buy the whole thing for about $70. Quit whining and think of all the enjoyment the PS3 has given you.

I bought my Gamecube for $150 in 2002 and, while it doesn't get that much use now, it's still going strong. I paid $150 for my PS2 slim in 2004, and once again doesn't get that much use now, but it's still going strong. My kids and I played the hell out of those consoles for years though with no problems. No excuse for equipment that costs 2 -3 times (or more) as much to die in half that tiime. And I mean both the Xbox 360 and PS3. Well, cheap builds and rushed engineering are kind of excuses. We just picked up a slim PS3 for $250 last week. Hopefully it is as quality a product as our PS2.
post #86 of 151 Old 10-27-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Do all these warnings apply to just launch consoles or all non-Slim models? I think I have the last model of Phat just before the Slim was announced (typical) -- came with a 40GB drive, SixAxis, no BC, two front USB ports. Over the past few months it's frozen up during games a few times, but I wouldn't say it's been an overly regular occurrence. Should I be worried?
post #87 of 151 Old 10-27-2011, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

I bought my Gamecube for $150 in 2002 and, while it doesn't get that much use now, it's still going strong. I paid $150 for my PS2 slim in 2004, and once again doesn't get that much use now, but it's still going strong. My kids and I played the hell out of those consoles for years though with no problems. No excuse for equipment that costs 2 -3 times (or more) as much to die in half that tiime. And I mean both the Xbox 360 and PS3. Well, cheap builds and rushed engineering are kind of excuses. We just picked up a slim PS3 for $250 last week. Hopefully it is as quality a product as our PS2.

The reason I keep hearing is that as these consoles become more and more advanced, we can't expect them to last as long as the consoles of yesteryear. Doesn't give me much incentive to buy one at launch then, if I have to replace the hardware 2-3 times over its life-cycle. Mind you, as I said before my 60gb phat PS3 lasted me over 4 years, for all I know it could have lasted me another 4 years or died next week. Just dropped $399 on a Gears of War xbox console, that badboy better last me at least 5 years before I think of moving to the next generation.

Gotta love my SNES, 20 years and still going

post #88 of 151 Old 10-27-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo View Post

Do all these warnings apply to just launch consoles or all non-Slim models? I think I have the last model of Phat just before the Slim was announced (typical) -- came with a 40GB drive, SixAxis, no BC, two front USB ports. Over the past few months it's frozen up during games a few times, but I wouldn't say it's been an overly regular occurrence. Should I be worried?

I wouldn't be overtly worried yet. Many buggy games do that, and freezing isn't a sign of a potential YLOD. Loud fans, running hotter than usual, and a final freeze / system power down caused by the solder separation is.

That said, I haven't heard of one slim get the YLOD yet from my lurkings and Google searches. Some still have CD drive issues though. My new(est) model slim is running astronomically cooler than my Phats did, so I'm a little less worried than I was with the refurb.

Everything worked out for me, but yes, I did have quite a investment into my PS3 since launch because of my two failures. Between the PS3 and controllers, I've easily spent $1000 since launch.

This will be the last launch participate in. PS2 had the drive issues, PS3's had YLOD and Drive issues, and the XBOX still hasn't got it's RROD under control. PS4 time I'll be sitting out until it's a reasonable price, and the kinks from rushing it out for launch are worked out. Heck, I have a HUGE backlog of AA/AAA PS3 games sitting in my request lists and on my coffee table anyways. I'm actually kind of hoping the PS4 has the same 1-2 year glut of not much so I can catch up!
post #89 of 151 Old 10-27-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

the XBOX still hasn't got it's RROD under control.

Huh? I thought the new S model of the 360 fixed all the RROD problems. At least I haven't heard any complaints with this redesign.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #90 of 151 Old 10-27-2011, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

It really was rushed engineering in the PS3's case. I was really surprised how dinky the heatsink and fan cooling system was for the size of the chips and the heat the thing put out, even brand new. Add that to the brittle tin-solder, and you got a problem.

I have a higher end laptop that routinely runs around 70C, and it's got about 3 times the copper to dissipate heat, and fans on both the CPU and GPU. I'm guessing the PS3 was routinely running at around 90C...

Hell, the actual heatsinks in the PS3 were aluminum, instead of copper, with 3-4 dinky copper tubes to dissipate heat to the chassis. Right there is a obvious major problem.... and I'm not even a engineer.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page