AVS Forum banner

If you have a Phat, Sell it. A warning from Refurb land.

20K views 150 replies 67 participants last post by  blklightning 
#1 ·
Well, looks like I waited too long for a slim deal, as my 60GB Phat refurbished unit just kicked the bucket with the dreaded YLOD. My long term worries came true, once again.

I bought my original 60GB on launch day, and it worked steadfast until June of 2009. I heard of others getting the YLOD, but mine finally failed too. $150 and three weeks later (mid July) Sony mailed me a refurbished Phat, and so the clock started ticking again. My first one died a little over 2 years from purchase. Almost to the month my second died two years later.

If you currently have one, I'd strongly recommend you sell it, or trade it in for a slim. I'm no longer convinced that the heat / solder issues are a minority problem within the scope of electronic failure rates. Yours will eventually go too. Be warned.

Not sure where I'm going from here. I've read about reballing the RSX, but I'm hesitant because it seems hard to find a reputable servicer, there's no guarantee it'll work (or be fixed correctly or competently), and it seems a reball might also only be a temp fix.

I will reflow it for the time being to make a backup, deactivate it and grab my save files that weren't updated this week.

I'm not too keen on giving Sony cash anytime soon. $700 at launch and $150 for a refurb isn't chump change. They can go to hell if they think I'll pay $100 to get a refurb slim.

Maybe I'll wait for a U3 bundle, or something worthwhile. Either way, Sony Customer Service is going to get an earful.

See less See more
#52 ·
I have an 80GB phat. I swapped the hard drive for a 320GB awhile back.

How do I go about swapping the game data to a new slim? Do I need both consoles on hand at the same time, or can I just back up the data to the existing 320GB, trade in the phat + 80GB stock hard drive, and then put the existing 320GB in the new slim?

I can’t remember how it all works.

#53 ·
*EDIT* They just changed the program, now it's: "Trade any ORIGINAL PS3 and get a new 160GB PS3 for $124.99 (or $125 credit toward any other new PS3 model)" OR "Trade any SLIM PS3 and get a new 160GB PS3 for $99.99 (or $150 credit toward any other new PS3 model)."[/quote]

I just made this deal at Gamestop.I traded in a 80gb ( Motorstorm ) that I use a Heatgun and re-paste about 7 months ago, but was making a fan noise like it was ready to take-off.....I receive a $125.00 credit in which I pick-up the 160GB for $249.99......Out the door I got the NEW SLIM for $146.86 total after the 8.75% tax .I thought this was the best deal at this time before it when out again.....Have only 2 or 3 PS2 racing game, plus they don't look to good on a Sony 50 inch screen

Things they ask for:

AC Power cord

AV Cable

USB Cable

Sisaxis Controller

Printed Book

Plus they do hook it up in store with your cables...and loadup a game to see if it work

PS...the warranty label was off and no box

#55 ·
I would guess they ask for the printed book for 2 reasons.... more likely that it isn't stolen and they can't find or locate them anymore

As i think about it more........the GameStop is a good deal for a machine that was going to YLOD at any momet...better to sell it to GameStop then to someone on eBay......Just last week the Slim 160GB PS3 was going for $299.99....this was like me trading it in for $175.00......its the same PS3

PS...for some reason you don't want to buy another PS3...they will give you a $120.. store credit

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 /forum/post/20858046

I have an 80GB phat. I swapped the hard drive for a 320GB awhile back.

How do I go about swapping the game data to a new slim? Do I need both consoles on hand at the same time, or can I just back up the data to the existing 320GB, trade in the phat + 80GB stock hard drive, and then put the existing 320GB in the new slim?

I can't remember how it all works.

I'm pretty sure you can't just put the 320GB in the new slim as it will format it once it boots up. What I'm unclear about is if you still need another spare HD to do a formal backup/restore, or if you can push all your relevant save game data to the cloud (using PS+) and then pull down all your downloaded content from the cloud and store after you're up and running on the new PS.

I'm in the same boat, but have been hesitant to do this because of the transfer hassle. I don't log too many game hours over a given week- which is probably why my phat MGS4 edition is still going strong- but I've been wondering lately whether my time is running out.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII /forum/post/20880717

Currently - 9/5 @ GS:

Trade in your old PS3 for a new PS3. Slim models will catch a $150 credit costing only $100 for a new one. Old models will catch $125 costing only $125 for a new PS3.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/specialty/tradeins/

Gonna bite on this and unload my YLOD phat.

This is how they've been doing it for a week (posted earlier). You scared me for a second because I thought they increased the trade in from the amount I got just a few days ago.

#62 ·
When I called them they didn't mention that a manual was required. I gave them one anyway, but it doesn't hurt to call and see if they need it. I also gave them a 2' power cord and 2' usb charger. They weren't happy with the length of the power cord, but there is no requirement on cord length. Sony paid me back though, since the slim's power cord is extremely short, and you can't swap it out since it's not a standard PC cord. I had to use an extension cord. Lame.

I think I only have 230/298 GB left after I installed the freebie PS+ games (Infamous, LBP, etc.) and DC Universe Online.

#63 ·
I think I'm gonna take advantage of this deal. So is this all I need to do with my 40gb ps3: copy all my saved games on a flash drive to put on my new one later, deactivate my account (game/video). Do I need to delete all my psn games I bought and everything else before I trade it in? Am I still going to be able to use my psn id on the new ps3? Thanks

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomHero918 /forum/post/20884470

I think I'm gonna take advantage of this deal. So is this all I need to do with my 40gb ps3: copy all my saved games on a flash drive to put on my new one later, deactivate my account (game/video). Do I need to delete all my psn games I bought and everything else before I trade it in? Am I still going to be able to use my psn id on the new ps3? Thanks

You don't need to delete everything, but I did. I deactivated all accounts, deleted all accounts, and then formatted the PS3.

#66 ·
Well got myself a slim.

Couldn't pass up the $125 credit / $125 for a new system deal.

Jerks at GS took off $30 from my credit though because the controller was missing the rubber on the left stick (Damn you GT5!). Even though it was a DS3 (not sixaxis) and still worked perfectly. Then they even kept it too (and will probably re-purpose it). That right there will net them $75 minus the cost to fix the stick.

Whatever.

Got a 160GB new Slim for $165 after tax. My Reflowed the YLOD refurb launch unit and redid the thermal paste so it should last through testing. Surprisingly they didn't even test it before I was out the door, and took my word that it was working.

Hopefully Karma doesn't bite me in the butt, but to be fair it was fixed and was working fine as is. It could last a week, or it could last 3 years. They could refuse launch units if they choose to. Plus, GS itself has built up plenty of bad karma itself in my dealings with them. When it comes down to doing whats right, or doing whats best for the bottom line, well, I know what they'd do. So, with them, I have no qualms with taking the same route.

"Want a year warranty on that?" Ha, no thanks, Visa doubles the manufactures warranty for free.

Ahh well. Hopefully these slims hold up better. It really is amazing how much quieter it is, and it seems to run marginally cooler than the launch units did. still pretty warm to the touch, but not burning hot and the fan isn't sounding like a jet engine intake. These slims sure are ugly though. Once the warranty is up, I'll probably pull her apart, do some cleaning and possibly some case modding to make her shine a little more.

#68 ·
For what its worth, I went through 3 PHATs - original purchased on launch day, plus 2 refurbs. YLOD on on all of them, except the last one which I sent back right away as the fan was clicking - sounded like a motorcycle. I immediately sold the replacement they sent, which looked like a very pristine unit still in shrink-wrap.

I got nowhere with Playstation customer support, so I called Sony customer support (not SCEA) and spoke to a supervisor. I explained that I was a long time customer, purchased it for $700 on launch, and had already paid an extra $150 for the first refurb, etc. They waived the fee on the subsequent refurb, so that might be worth a try.

#69 ·
I finally bought a 320GB/Infamous 2 bundle at BB. Does anyone know of an easy way to transfer game saves/download content from one system to the next?

I’ve tried to network both systems with an Ethernet cable and use the data transfer utility with no luck. I’ve also tried the backup data utility using an external hard drive with no luck, and there’s a disclaimer saying that certain data cannot be transferred because of copyright/piracy issues. Anyone know what exactly can’t be transferred? I’ve deleted all game demos, videos, and any old game & game save data that I don’t need any more.

I don’t mind having to re-download map packs and add-ons. I don’t have that many. I guess there’s always the cloud alternative with PS plus if nothing else.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 /forum/post/21070637

I finally bought a 320GB/Infamous 2 bundle at BB. Does anyone know of an easy way to transfer game saves/download content from one system to the next?

I've tried to network both systems with an Ethernet cable and use the data transfer utility with no luck. I've also tried the backup data utility using an external hard drive with no luck, and there's a disclaimer saying that certain data cannot be transferred because of copyright/piracy issues. Anyone know what exactly can't be transferred? I've deleted all game demos, videos, and any old game & game save data that I don't need any more.

I don't mind having to re-download map packs and add-ons. I don't have that many. I guess there's always the cloud alternative with PS plus if nothing else.

PS3 has a Data Transfer Utility- hook the two systems together via cat5 cable and go to town. Detailed instructions here:

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...erutility.html

I'm thinking about replacing my phat as a preemptive strike against failure. Got mine in June 2007, one of the last original BC/60GB versions. Sony replaced the BD drive under warranty in 2008, literally one week before the warranty expired. I'm torn because the one I have is working fine yet I know it's only a matter of time. The fan tends to run at level three a little more than it used to, the BD drive is getting louder when inserting/ejecting discs. I know It would sell well while it still works as folks covet the original BC models, I just hate to replace something that's working well. Maybe I'll bite when the UC3 bundle is available since I'm getting that game anyway.

#72 ·
I’ve tried the data transfer utility. I’ve tried two different working cat5 cables, but it didn’t work. I got to the screen that says “waiting to transfer” (or something similar), and then after about 10 minutes it just stops and tells me that I either an ethernet cable is unplugged, or the other system is powered off. I tried several times last night with no luck.

Both systems are updated to the latest firmware. I’m not sure why it wouldn’t transfer.

With the purchase of the new PS3, I get PS+ for 30 days, so I will try the cloud service and hope it doesn’t take forever.

I also hated to spend the cash on a new system as a preemptive strike against failure. My phat 80GB was working fine. But like you said, recently the fan would run louder, the BD drive has definitely gotten louder, and I didn’t want to lose all my data. It’s too bad, as I much prefer the looks of the phat over the slim.

I’ve been wanting a media extender for the bedroom anyway, so my old phat will go there.

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 /forum/post/21071496

I've tried the data transfer utility. I've tried two different working cat5 cables, but it didn't work. I got to the screen that says waiting to transfer (or something similar), and then after about 10 minutes it just stops and tells me that I either an ethernet cable is unplugged, or the other system is powered off. I tried several times last night with no luck.

Both systems are updated to the latest firmware. I'm not sure why it wouldn't transfer.

With the purchase of the new PS3, I get PS+ for 30 days, so I will try the cloud service and hope it doesn't take forever.

I also hated to spend the cash on a new system as a preemptive strike against failure. My phat 80GB was working fine. But like you said, recently the fan would run louder, the BD drive has definitely gotten louder, and I didn't want to lose all my data. It's too bad, as I much prefer the looks of the phat over the slim.

I've been wanting a media extender for the bedroom anyway, so my old phat will go there.

Sorry my reading was lackluster. The data transfer should work fine if there aren't any problems with either console. Might want a Sony rep to walk you through it, maybe you missed a step?

Also you can't use the backup to external HDD anyway- those can only be loaded into the PS3 they came from.

#74 ·
Guys,

Since patch 3.70 my 4 yr old PS3 has been acting strangely. I d/l'ed the update a while ago and threw in KZ3. Immediately I got sparkles on my screen and intermittent black outs making playing KZ3 unplayable. Shut it off and let it sit for like 24 days or so.

Last night booted it up and had to update to 3.72. No problem, took all of 5 minutes. XMB, PS Store looks fine, no sparkles or black outs. Threw in Blops to meet up with some friends and it would not even load, black screen. Had to do a hard shutdown (power button on back). Repeated the process again.

Decided to try Infamous off the harddrive to see if it was a laser problem. Nope, Infamous was unplayable with the sparkles and intermittent black outs again.

Not sure what is going on here. Can't be my receiver/HDMI cables as my TV programming is fine thru the receiver and so it XMB and the Store while using the PS.

Anyone have a clue on this one?

Luke

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 /forum/post/21072771

Sorry my reading was lackluster. The data transfer should work fine if there aren't any problems with either console. Might want a Sony rep to walk you through it, maybe you missed a step?

Ehhh, it's pretty straightforward. Connect both systems via cat5, then power on systems. Set phat ps3 to send data, set slim to receive data. That's it. And it didn't work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 /forum/post/21072771

Also you can't use the backup to external HDD anyway- those can only be loaded into the PS3 they came from.

Well dang. I finally got it to transfer to the external last night. Took about an hour and 15 minutes.

I guess I will try the cloud service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.