If you have a Phat, Sell it. A warning from Refurb land. - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 151 Old 11-28-2011, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 240
I've got 2 launch 60 fattys still going strong! one gets used every day for netflix and the other is only on occasion. Never had even a hickup with either one.
My sister has a slim and it already has had some overheating issues. Sent back to sony and got a refurb, it died 3 months later, same problem. On the 3rd for about 6 months now.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 151 Old 11-29-2011, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3 year warranty at Squaretrade for $48.

http://www.squaretrade.com/pages/?cc...ar_vc_034:text
post #123 of 151 Old 11-30-2011, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I opened the PS3 Slim (3001a). The sound difference - or lack thereof - between it and my 80GB E01 is deafening. I can still watch Blu-Ray movies via my HDMI-to-DVI cord; I was afraid it might downrez the movie since it wasn't HDMI-to-HDMI.

So I will likely trade in my 80GB Fat at GameSpot for credit towards a second PS3 Slim (either 160GB or 320GB). I'll miss the 2 USB ports, but that's likely all.
post #124 of 151 Old 12-01-2011, 01:36 AM

The sound between the too is like the difference between night and day. Playing BF3 on the fat would sound like a jet was taking off in the room but playing it on the slim I had to check to see if the console was still running it was so quite!

PSN: blekk
post #125 of 151 Old 12-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I can still watch Blu-Ray movies via my HDMI-to-DVI cord; I was afraid it might downrez the movie since it wasn't HDMI-to-HDMI.

Still HDCP
post #126 of 151 Old 12-01-2011, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Have to agree, the slims are considerably quieter and better at staying cool at lower fan settings (as you would expect). This chip die size is really what the ps3 should have debuted at, imo. They (and probably X360, alike) overextended a bit this generation on what technology could provide at the time of their introductions (considering apparent console lifespan and reliability issues).

On the slim I am using, the fan still gets to breathing hard after some game play, but not huffing and puffing nearly as hard or as loud as the original. The slim doesn't compare, however, when it comes to elegance of construction of the original. The slim just seems like a cheap plastic appliance in comparison with its dull, textured surface, membrane buttons, and loud/unmuffled optical drive.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #127 of 151 Old 12-02-2011, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
i would never sell something that i thought would fail at any time. there is no integrity in that whatsoever. i'll go ahead and keep mine and replace it if/when the time comes.

500 gigs FTW.
post #128 of 151 Old 12-03-2011, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

i would never sell something that i thought would fail at any time. there is no integrity in that whatsoever. i'll go ahead and keep mine and replace it if/when the time comes.

Tell that to Sony.
post #129 of 151 Old 12-03-2011, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Tell that to Sony.

yeah no kidding. lol.

500 gigs FTW.
post #130 of 151 Old 12-04-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

Nothing wrong with selling it in that state as long as you are completely clear and upfront with the buyer about the situation.
post #131 of 151 Old 12-23-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, mine YLOD'ed yesterday. Now to figure out how to get a disc out.

Now I have to buy a slim, new controllers for my PS2, and an SACD player to replace it. Only bright side is I backed it up about a month ago.
post #132 of 151 Old 12-27-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
That's when that "It only does everything" tag line they use for the PS3 really bugs me. Does it do "less" of "everything" now or was the original doing "more" than "everything", given all the functionality that has slowly been stripped out of the hardware over time? (all those new built-in apps that are in there now have about zero use to me...streaming Netflix seems like a pretty hokey way to kill time unless you are lucky enough to be flying on fiberoptic broadband...and then whaddyagot?...really crappy looking digital video?) Maybe if the originals were built to last they could claim it still does everything, but as such, the new ones aren't nearly as miraculous over what they can do compared to their early brethren which are all but lost out of attrition. The shine has really worn off of what the ps3 was proclaimed to be at one time.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #133 of 151 Old 12-28-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

I've got 2 launch 60 fattys still going strong! Never had even a hickup with either one.

Same here.

I've left both on for days at a time - not one hiccup since launch night. I've upgraded both HDDs too, even though I'm not sure that would make a difference ?

But anyways.....

post #134 of 151 Old 12-31-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FORCE View Post

Same here.

I've left both on for days at a time - not one hiccup since launch night. I've upgraded both HDDs too, even though I'm not sure that would make a difference ?

May yours last forever. I'd hoped I'd outlived the curse.

Got my game out. Not too hard, although required prying open the sheet metal housing of the BD drive to get into it.
post #135 of 151 Old 12-31-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon B View Post

May yours last forever. I'd hoped I'd outlived the curse.

Got my game out. Not too hard, although required prying open the sheet metal housing of the BD drive to get into it.

LOL There are screws you can take out to get inside the BR drive. No prying required.
post #136 of 151 Old 12-31-2011, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

LOL There are screws you can take out to get inside the BR drive. No prying required.

Plus you could have sold the BD drive / broken PS3 for $80 on ebay...

Hopefully you didn't really "pry it apart". First step was to try the clean mode trick, as sometimes it'll pop out the BD on a YLOD unit. Second was just to take the PS3 apart, disassemble the BD drive, and put it all back together.
post #137 of 151 Old 01-02-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

Got a pictorial reference? There didn't seem to be an obvious method to me.

Clean mode trick did not work.

I removed the three screws at the bottom front of the drive, and bent the sheet metal housing of the top up enough to remove the magnetic disc hub, pop the disc out, and put everything back together. No reason it wouldn't work as well as before I got into it, I didn't mangle anything.

Not likely to sell it, but if I did, I'd tell any prospective buyer exactly what I had done to it. May try and repair it well enough to use as an SACD ripper.
post #138 of 151 Old 01-02-2012, 01:18 PM

Not a pictoral reference but there are tons of videos on youtube showing how to do it. I had to do it when my first phat 60 YLOD on me with a game stuck in it.
post #139 of 151 Old 06-11-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

well I didn't heed anyone's warning, my refurb ps3 YLOD on friday. 120 hrs of dark souls gone.....I'm going to try the hairdryer trick I guess so I can hopefully boot it back up and back it up to external HDD until I can get a new slim, not even gonna mess with sending this in to get fixed, obviously they dont do a very good job. It has been right around 11 months since my original PS3 YLOD and I sent it in and got this turd back. And honestly I have 120 hrs on dark souls and MABYE another 30 hrs of watching movies...so in total no more than 150 hrs in the last 11 months and its done...BS I say

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #140 of 151 Old 06-11-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

well I didn't heed anyone's warning, my refurb ps3 YLOD on friday. 120 hrs of dark souls gone.....I'm going to try the hairdryer trick I guess so I can hopefully boot it back up and back it up to external HDD until I can get a new slim, not even gonna mess with sending this in to get fixed, obviously they dont do a very good job. It has been right around 11 months since my original PS3 YLOD and I sent it in and got this turd back. And honestly I have 120 hrs on dark souls and MABYE another 30 hrs of watching movies...so in total no more than 150 hrs in the last 11 months and its done...BS I say

Don't forget, Dark Souls is one if the games you can't just back up. You have to either be PS+ member and back it up to the cloud or you have to you the transfer utility to go from your old console to the new one.
post #141 of 151 Old 06-11-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xceebeex View Post

Don't forget, Dark Souls is one if the games you can't just back up. You have to either be PS+ member and back it up to the cloud or you have to you the transfer utility to go from your old console to the new one.

So I cant back it up? I can only transfer? please explain as this may change my options

I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #142 of 151 Old 06-11-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

So I cant back it up? I can only transfer? please explain as this may change my options

Yup you can only transfer, but even that is iffy from what I've read. Backups will not backup copy protected games saves. Transfers will... sometimes transfer.

Honestly, it's worth the 3 month sub to backup your DkS save IMO, especially with the DLC coming out later this year. Do the hairdryer fix, get PS+, and save that **** to the cloud!

Then trade that lemon into GS. They might give you $50 for a trade in on a new slim...
post #143 of 151 Old 06-11-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Honestly, it's worth the 3 month sub to backup your DkS save IMO, especially with the DLC coming out later this year. ..

THIS!!! The peace of mind I have cause my Game Saves are backed up is SO worth the money! Love it!

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #144 of 151 Old 06-11-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup you can only transfer, but even that is iffy from what I've read. Backups will not backup copy protected games saves. Transfers will... sometimes transfer.
Honestly, it's worth the 3 month sub to backup your DkS save IMO, especially with the DLC coming out later this year. Do the hairdryer fix, get PS+, and save that **** to the cloud!
Then trade that lemon into GS. They might give you $50 for a trade in on a new slim...

great, I guess I have no choice...can I back up everything to the cloud? or should I just back up the DS info and the rest to external HDD?

post #145 of 151 Old 06-11-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

You can backup all your gamesaves to the cloud. Once you get a working PS3 you'll also have PSplus perks for the time it's active, so there's that too.

Data (songs, pictures, movies) still need a transfer or redownload.
post #146 of 151 Old 06-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

My YLOD 60GB that I reflowed lasted long enough to transfer (thank god) to a new slim. Then, it made it ten minutes into a BluRay before YLODing itself again. What should I do with it? Should I bother reflowing? Keep the heat gun on longer? Sell it for parts? Sell the individual parts?
post #147 of 151 Old 06-11-2012, 10:03 PM

Liked: 93
http://www.dansdata.com/io130.htm

Dan, one of the most knowledgable people you'll find on the interwebs, a couple of days ago went over exactly why early 360s and PS3s went to hell so easily. Most of the time you'll hear from the uneducated that the lead-free solder breaks connection after so many heat cycles. Really though, the problem is that unalloyed tin grows whiskers over time, bridging connections just enough to screw things up. "Reflowing", as noobs like to pretend they are doing when they fix their PS3/360 by baking it, melts the super thin whiskers without breaking the original, still good connection.

I have no help for your current problems, guys. Just dropping off some knowledge since he did such a good job explaining. smile.gif
post #148 of 151 Old 06-12-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

I'd say if you can get the PS3 running long enough to get a PS+ subscription and back up to the cloud, I'd suggest buying an extended warranty on PS+ on your unit, then take advantage of the warranty when the unit fails.
post #149 of 151 Old 06-13-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post

My YLOD 60GB that I reflowed lasted long enough to transfer (thank god) to a new slim. Then, it made it ten minutes into a BluRay before YLODing itself again. What should I do with it? Should I bother reflowing? Keep the heat gun on longer? Sell it for parts? Sell the individual parts?

I just had my YLOD 60GB serviced by Sony a couple weeks ago and was offered a 160GB slim for $99+tax.
I thought it was a good option, although being able to purchase a warranty on a new slim is also nice.

Maybe an option for you?

This new (refurbed) one makes a humming sound though, anyone else hear this with their slim?

PSN: Ratnose
post #150 of 151 Old 06-13-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

http://www.dansdata.com/io130.htm
Dan, one of the most knowledgable people you'll find on the interwebs, a couple of days ago went over exactly why early 360s and PS3s went to hell so easily. Most of the time you'll hear from the uneducated that the lead-free solder breaks connection after so many heat cycles. Really though, the problem is that unalloyed tin grows whiskers over time, bridging connections just enough to screw things up. "Reflowing", as noobs like to pretend they are doing when they fix their PS3/360 by baking it, melts the super thin whiskers without breaking the original, still good connection.
I have no help for your current problems, guys. Just dropping off some knowledge since he did such a good job explaining. smile.gif

While I don't doubt that's part of it, heat also has to be part of it. I have a laptop that put's out 80-90C when gaming, and my old phat used to put out much more hot air to the touch. 90C+ for hours at a time id not good any way you cut it.

Slims have been around for a while now and there doesn't seem to be the same number of YLOD issues with them. I guess only time will tell.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page