Home Theater Audio Setup Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-27-2011, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Long time lurker here,

I recently bought a brand new DLP 72" Mitsubishi HDTV. The problem I'm having is hooking up my speakers to the HDTV and PS3 at the same time. My speakers are Logitech Z2300's. The HDTV audio output is RCA and coming from my Cablebox. The way I have it setup right now is from the 3.5mm jack, I have an RCA Female/Male-Male splitter running to cover both audio outputs from both of the RCA's of the TV and PS3. Essentially I have linked together everything via RCA Y Splitters. I figured this would be the best and only way to get audio from both sources at once. However, upon having this setup only the PS3 source works, and I'm hearing a distinct buzzing coming from the Z2300's.

Am I crazy for trying to set up my Home Theater Audio this way? I'm honestly very inexperienced with this kinda stuff, I'm more of a PC guy. What am I doing wrong and what would be the best solution to get this setup working?

Thanks in advance, The Fear Within.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-27-2011, 10:17 PM

If you reverse the connections between the TV outputs and the PS3 outputs, does the TV then work and the PS3 not work? If so, then maybe you have a bad cable.

Have you tried running the PS3 audio into the TV and have the TV output the PS3 audio?

You may have better luck with an A/B switch rather than splitters. That should prevent any kind of phase or interference issues.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-28-2011, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geremia P. View Post

If you reverse the connections between the TV outputs and the PS3 outputs, does the TV then work and the PS3 not work? If so, then maybe you have a bad cable.

Have you tried running the PS3 audio into the TV and have the TV output the PS3 audio?

You may have better luck with an A/B switch rather than splitters. That should prevent any kind of phase or interference issues.

I have tried switching around the connections, and or thinking of alternate ways to connect everything. All the cables seem to be fine when tested separately.

The normal TV volume works fine for the PS3 audio, even with everything set up. But I have dual mode audio enabled, and running HDMI - so that is to be expected.

My only opposition to a switch would be that's already what I have to do, manually switch the wires in order to use the speakers with either the TV or PS3. I want to take the lazy mans route and never have to switch them ever again.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page