Max Payne 3: Releasing March 2012 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2012, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm currently playing it. While the game is quite good and very old Max Payne 3 feel, there are just way too many non-stop shooting scene after scene. By Act 3, the game feels like all the same, go to next scene, shoot until every enemy is dead, go to next scene, do the same. It's like whatever is going in the story doesn't really matter because you know every scene you want into is shoot until every enemy is dead. Problem with single player is your partner usually has to go somewhere because he can't really do anything even when he is tagging along.

Do most of you like the shaky camera and double images popping up in the cutscenes? I know it's a style but after watching it for a while, it gives me headache. I wish the game has setting to disable the shaky and double images effect. This is a game which supposed to give the player more control even the cutscene effects.

I know Max Payne talks non-stop in his head in all the games. Would be nice to have a setting to set Max to less chatty. Only say things that are import to the gameplay. Otherwise, shut up.

I played a little of MP. Really generic shooter like many other shooter games.

I wouldn't buy Max Payne 3 for the MP because there's nothing unique about it. Single player is more like one time playthrough because it gets really boring after several hours of doing the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Good mini review there - thanks for posting. I think I'll hold off on this.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

Old 05-20-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
one word to describe this game -- frustrating. another word -- annoying.

at this point in the game (chapter 9), it's clear to me that rockstar's only goal was to annoy and frustrate the player into trading the game in as soon as possible. this game has almost limitless potential to be ridiculously fun. and yet, they made it so hard that it's impossible to do so.

i started off playing with a smile on my face. and now i immensely hate this game. do not buy would be my suggestion.

500 gigs FTW.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

one word to describe this game -- frustrating. another word -- annoying.

at this point in the game (chapter 9), it's clear to me that rockstar's only goal was to annoy and frustrate the player into trading the game in as soon as possible. this game has almost limitless potential to be ridiculously fun. and yet, they made it so hard that it's impossible to do so.

i started off playing with a smile on my face. and now i immensely hate this game. do not buy would be my suggestion.

Funny thing is, I initially really disliked the game. For whatever reason, I chose the soft lock aim assist and tried sticking with it. A few nights ago I tried free aim and actually find the game much more enjoyable now. I guess I was used to the soft lock on Red Dead Redemption.

I also tweaked the in game contrast setting so I was able to see stuff. The default is way too dark.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
Old 05-21-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I sort of enjoy the gun-play in the campaign. I could probably play through it a couple of times on easy to just kick some butt. MP is meh. It isn't a $60 game, but maybe a used game purchase or weekend rental.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
Old 05-21-2012, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightintel View Post

I sort of enjoy the gun-play in the campaign. I could probably play through it a couple of times on easy to just kick some butt. MP is meh. It isn't a $60 game, but maybe a used game purchase or weekend rental.

Once I switched over to Free Aim the gunplay actually became fun. Having said that, I just beat the game earlier yesterday. For me, I just don't see this game having any replay value unless you wanted to collect all the gold gun pieces. Since I don't play multiplayer except on a very rare occasion, I don't count that as replay value personally.

But I completely agree with you on it not being a $60 game. I would have felt pretty peeved if I purchased it. Like you said, it's a great weekend rental or bargain bin purchase.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
Old 05-25-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
It's not even a ten dollar game. This is, without question, my least favorite game on the PS3. I really can't believe how much I dislike this game. It could have been great. But it certainly isn't.

500 gigs FTW.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

It's not even a ten dollar game. This is, without question, my least favorite game on the PS3. I really can't believe how much I dislike this game. It could have been great. But it certainly isn't.

I agree that it could've been better. They definitely blew it when it came to the variey of weapons.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
Old 06-06-2012, 06:32 AM

Liked: 10
I've been holding off on commenting about this game any more than my earlier post because I wanted to give it a chance on my own. Having said that, at least for the past three times that I've played I've literally sat there shaking my head saying "wow, I really hate this game". I pre-ordered it, so I want to finish the campaign and give the MP a brief chance before trading it in, but I just don't see myself holding onto it much longer. It's really a disappointment because, in my opinion, Red Dead Redemption was amazing...but then LA Noire was pretty terrible. Max Payne had potential, but all in all, I think it came out pretty bad. The story is okay, the game play alright at best, bullet time is a gimmick that gets old and isn't enough to carry the game, and the checkpoints are TERRIBLE! I don't know that I'm comfortable pre-ordering any more games from Rockstar until they make up for the last two abominations they put out. Hopefully Grand Theft Auto 5 and Agent (if it really happens) makes up for all of this, because I thought Rockstar could be trusted more than this. Just my opinion...
Old 11-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
oh boy, I just ordered this through a Lightning Deal on Amazon and after reading this thread, now I am having second doubts! The trailers made it look pretty good (I never played either of the first 2 Max Paynes).

I guess since it was only $15, it should be worth it.

I see the Rockstar DLC pass is $30 itself but that is only multiplayer add-on maps? Will I be able to try out any multiplayer (non pre-ordered of course) without buying any DLC??
Old 11-26-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f 
oh boy, I just ordered this through a Lightning Deal on Amazon and after reading this thread, now I am having second doubts!
This is up there among my own GOTY candidates. Don't believe the naysayers. Give it a few hours to sink in. I was skeptical at first, but by the second half, I was totally sold.

I'm a huge fan of the prior Max Payne games, and this latest is both faithful to the old games and smart in its innovations. Best third-person shooter of the year. One of the tightest stories with excellent voice acting. Sharp mechanics. Beautiful environments. Many games have tried to imitate a Michael Mann movie, but only Max Payne 3 gets the tone and attitude right. It's got some quirks and finicky controls, but just keep an open mind.

My only major gripe is that if you're looking to replay the game or play the New York Minute challenges, you have to sit through the cutscenes and can't easily skip them. Also, I'd recommend not starting on Hard difficulty. Using the free aim (on Hard and higher) is tough on consoles, and is geared much more toward PC gamers (kb/m users). This is a challenging game, even on normal. This is a much more demanding and strategic shooter than most. Definitely not a "run and gun" game. It takes patience and strategic planning.

But other than that, this is a very solid game with one of the best game soundtracks in a very long time. And much like RDR's use of a song when you cross into Mexico, Max Payne 3 uses one particular song late in the game that makes the scene one of the most memorable in any game this generation. So cool.

Not a game for everyone, but if it grabs you, it won't let go.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Old 11-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

This is up there among my own GOTY candidates. Don't believe the naysayers. Give it a few hours to sink in. I was skeptical at first, but by the second half, I was totally sold.
I'm a huge fan of the prior Max Payne games, and this latest is both faithful to the old games and smart in its innovations. Best third-person shooter of the year. One of the tightest stories with excellent voice acting. Sharp mechanics. Beautiful environments. Many games have tried to imitate a Michael Mann movie, but only Max Payne 3 gets the tone and attitude right. It's got some quirks and finicky controls, but just keep an open mind.
My only major gripe is that if you're looking to replay the game or play the New York Minute challenges, you have to sit through the cutscenes and can't easily skip them. Also, I'd recommend not starting on Hard difficulty. Using the free aim (on Hard and higher) is tough on consoles, and is geared much more toward PC gamers (kb/m users). This is a challenging game, even on normal. This is a much more demanding and strategic shooter than most. Definitely not a "run and gun" game. It takes patience and strategic planning.
But other than that, this is a very solid game with one of the best game soundtracks in a very long time. And much like RDR's use of a song when you cross into Mexico, Max Payne 3 uses one particular song late in the game that makes the scene one of the most memorable in any game this generation. So cool.
Not a game for everyone, but if it grabs you, it won't let go.

thanks for the write-up. I am pretty sure I will enjoy it and I think I will take your advice and start on Normal, since I am not excellent by any means. I beat Uncharted and Uncharted 2 on Hard first (and I am gathering MP3 is more difficult) in order to unlock Crushing and I think it would've been more pleasurable to play on Normal as a few sections were frustrating.

But then I guess I won't have Hardcore moment unlocked and I'd still have to beat it on Hard first? I only ask b/c I like getting the trophies.

Like UC2 and GTAIV, I am in it for the single-player mostly but the multiplayer has me intrigued as well. Will I be able to play multiplayer without buyng any add-on DLC content? Or would matchmaking become a pain in the arse?
Old 11-26-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f View Post

But then I guess I won't have Hardcore moment unlocked and I'd still have to beat it on Hard first? I only ask b/c I like getting the trophies.
It's good to be ambitious, but getting all the singleplayer trophies in this game is tedious. You'll have to play through the game multiple times (at least 4-5). So I'd focus on just having fun the first time through. Then, if you want to go back and get trophies, go for it. After my first playthrough, I only had like 10% of the trophies. After a Hard playthrough, that only got bumped up to about 25-30%. It's a long haul to 100%.

If you know you're a trophy nut, you could save yourself some time by starting on Hard. But I know it would have really turned me off the game. It can be brutal. You could always just give it a shot on Hard and if it gets frustrating/annoying, just knock it down to Normal.
Quote:
Like UC2 and GTAIV, I am in it for the single-player mostly but the multiplayer has me intrigued as well. Will I be able to play multiplayer without buyng any add-on DLC content? Or would matchmaking become a pain in the arse?
Multiplayer's been a bit wonky since release. They just released a patch that fixes some of the bigger glitches, but the game is still pretty unbalanced in favor of those who've been playing longer (unlocks and whatnot). It's a cool bit of screwing around, and there are still games to be found. But it won't pull you away from your usual mp fixes.

And in terms of DLC, it's the same as with any multiplayer shooter. So, yeah, you'll be more limited in finding matches without the DLC. But honestly, the singleplayer is so good, I wouldn't worry about it unless you really like the multiplayer.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

It's good to be ambitious, but getting all the singleplayer trophies in this game is tedious. You'll have to play through the game multiple times (at least 4-5). So I'd focus on just having fun the first time through. Then, if you want to go back and get trophies, go for it. After my first playthrough, I only had like 10% of the trophies. After a Hard playthrough, that only got bumped up to about 25-30%. It's a long haul to 100%.
If you know you're a trophy nut, you could save yourself some time by starting on Hard. But I know it would have really turned me off the game. It can be brutal. You could always just give it a shot on Hard and if it gets frustrating/annoying, just knock it down to Normal.

Multiplayer's been a bit wonky since release. They just released a patch that fixes some of the bigger glitches, but the game is still pretty unbalanced in favor of those who've been playing longer (unlocks and whatnot). It's a cool bit of screwing around, and there are still games to be found. But it won't pull you away from your usual mp fixes.
And in terms of DLC, it's the same as with any multiplayer shooter. So, yeah, you'll be more limited in finding matches without the DLC. But honestly, the singleplayer is so good, I wouldn't worry about it unless you really like the multiplayer.

Yep, cool. This doesn't sound like a game I would ever try to platinum (several extrememly challenging trophies including New York Minute hardcore is suppose to be a beast - too frustrating even for the elite players) so I will definitely plan on Normal first and enjoy that playthrough. Probably at most, may do a 2nd playthrough but like everyone else, a lot of competing interests for my leisure time!

Only after I beat the game and get immersed into controls will I step foot into multiplayer.