Final Fantasy X HD Remake - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 125 Old 09-14-2011, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'll get flame for saying this but... they are making a remake of (probably) my favorite FF ever. Yes, I said it!

Sony announced the HD remake to celebrate the 10th anniversary!

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/pos...playstation-3/

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1194253p1.html

Day 1 buy for me. I know alot of people complained about Tidus being a cry baby and all, but I really loved this game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 125 Old 09-14-2011, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Awesome news!

I only started this series at this one, but of the ones since, X is my favorite. I was actually thinking of starting that up again sometime soon.
post #3 of 125 Old 09-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I'm with you on this one, X was amazing. I finished the game 3 or 4 times, and was almost complete another play through on my old BC PS3. Not sure if it's going to be fun or painful getting all those ultimate weapons again...

Wonder which version of X it will be? I think the International version was supposed to have many more Aeons... it would be nice to be able to experience them this time around.

PSN = Hatcher14
post #4 of 125 Old 09-15-2011, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
never got the chance to play this one
looking fwd to it

WiiU: moothemagiccow

PSN: moothemagiccow (duh)

post #5 of 125 Old 09-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
if they remake 12 in hd then id sell my 60gb ten was fun also.
post #6 of 125 Old 09-15-2011, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I just hope they stick with the turn-based combat, or at least make it that the action pauses when you choose your action.

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of real time combat where you are being attacked while you are trying to look through your list of what actions you want to take.
post #7 of 125 Old 09-15-2011, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Yes, I'll probably get flamed myself, but I need to say this.

SE took the tiime to upgrade FF X, a game that I've never heard a big demand for a re-make (I do love the game, so please don't take me wrong) and meanwhile say screw you to the people who wanted a FF VII re-make. I do know that it's easier to re-make FF X, but come on now. SE said that it would take too long to re-make FF VII, yet if they would have started shortly after the PS3 demo, that game would be finished now. And I bet it would sell as well as FF XIII. Honestly, I often just don't get Japanese publishers.
post #8 of 125 Old 09-15-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I think it's vastly easier to remake X over VII...

The reason they chose Gouraud shading in VII was as a compromise for the tech available at the time in the PS1. High Def isn't going to make it look much better other than less jaggies. They'd likely need to go back to the drawing board and create textures for everything. The amount of time it would take would probably be absurd.

X...I bet a lot of the art there was created at a higher resolution than the PS2 could use, and even just upsampling would probably look decent.

Time vs. Money...I'm guessing the sales they saw from the PSN release of VII made them happy enough.

And don't get me wrong, I loved both of them and had far too many hours invested in VII. Cloud w/ 15 Counters + Cover = quick fights. I probably had 500 hours invested in that game thanks to working at a boy scout camp.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #9 of 125 Old 09-15-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I think it's easy to see why there is no remake of FF7 yet.

The original game's backgrounds are all done using prerendered CG. They were rendered at low-res because the game was meant for the PS1. Even the PC release, which supported higher resolutions, looked bad because of stretched and pixelated backgrounds.

So there's that. Unlike FFX or whatever, they'd have to start from square one. A remake of FF7 would require Square to go back and redo every scene in the game, along with re-rendered every cinema. It's basically the same thing as making a brand new game.

But they probably wouldn't want to do it in CG. They'd probably want to do it in realtime, since that's where their expertise lies nowadays. Even then, all the backgrounds would have to be remodeled. It's a HUGE task. And you'd want a system that can deliver the same amount of detail, but in realtime. I'm not even sure if the PS3 could do that.

edit: also, since it's a modern game, it would need voice acting, along with a new translation (FF7's was pretty bad), etc. It'd be like making a brand new game.

I'm sure we will see a FF7 remake at some point, but who knows when.
post #10 of 125 Old 09-15-2011, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post
edit: also, since it's a modern game, it would need voice acting, along with a new translation (FF7's was pretty bad), etc. It'd be like making a brand new game.

Well yes, I also assumed that it would be a start from scratch effort. But the sales would probably justify doing it. Don't you think that SE could sell 5+ million copies of this on the PS3? And they could probably make it for the Xbox 360 too.
post #11 of 125 Old 09-15-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

The game would do fine, yea. Better than fine really. They'd be selling peoples' childhoods and teen years back to them.

It's just a giant project. Up until recently (last year or two), a major Japanese project like that would've been a huge risk on PS3, just because the lack of a good installed base. With PS3 doing better it is more likely.
post #12 of 125 Old 09-15-2011, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post
I think it's easy to see why there is no remake of FF7 yet.

The original game's backgrounds are all done using prerendered CG. They were rendered at low-res because the game was meant for the PS1. Even the PC release, which supported higher resolutions, looked bad because of stretched and pixelated backgrounds.

So there's that. Unlike FFX or whatever, they'd have to start from square one. A remake of FF7 would require Square to go back and redo every scene in the game, along with re-rendered every cinema. It's basically the same thing as making a brand new game.

But they probably wouldn't want to do it in CG. They'd probably want to do it in realtime, since that's where their expertise lies nowadays. Even then, all the backgrounds would have to be remodeled. It's a HUGE task. And you'd want a system that can deliver the same amount of detail, but in realtime. I'm not even sure if the PS3 could do that.

Well they basically did all that (on a much lower scale) for the PSP prequel game. And it was pretty fun.

Anyway, put me down for a completely overhauled 3D version of FF7. I've toyed with the notion of replaying FF7 off and on, I just don't get around to it. However, I'd love to play a thoroughly updated version of 7.

-Suntan
post #13 of 125 Old 09-15-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Now all they need is a Level 5 HD collection (Dark Cloud 1 & 2, Rogue Galaxy, Dragon Quest VIII) and I can quit bitching about the lack of backwards compatibility (and my deceased fat PS3). Oh wait... I want Okami HD too.
post #14 of 125 Old 09-15-2011, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
If they redo the CG in 1080p widescreen (Expect Advent Children quality) and update the ingame assets for the HD conversion, then I will be happy.

Now all I need is the following.

Final Fantasy XII HD
Kingdom Hearts collection
Jak collection
Ratchet and Clank collection
Okami HD
Dragon Quest VIII HD (with Dragon Quest VII included)
Xenosaga Collection (with Xenogears DL code)
Killzone 2 that actually runs well.

Oh, FF vs 13 was also announced around the time of the VII demo, and it still has a few years until it is ready, so don't give SE any credit, they are incredibly inefficient when it comes to making games.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #15 of 125 Old 09-16-2011, 12:18 AM

Liked: 10
no f'kin way! FFX is definitely my most favorite FF! it's simply brilliant
post #16 of 125 Old 09-16-2011, 02:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildimsum7 View Post

no f'kin way! FFX is definitely my most favorite FF! it's simply brilliant

It's popularity in Japan is also the reason it is getting this reworking. (it also inspired FF13's straight line gameplay) ever notice that the calm lands and chapter 11's areas were very much alike?

In all honesty, this game began the true decline of Final Fantasy, it kept the great story and had a solid battle system to hold it together, but it eliminated a lot of what made previous FF games magical (mainly, EXPLORATION) Final Fantasy has yet to recover and probably never will. FFXII was Vagrant Story 2, FFXIII had an excellent battle system, but no worthwhile story or characters to carry it. Vs XIII looks interesting, but it is basically Kingdom Hearts combat and we still don't know how big the game world is...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #17 of 125 Old 09-16-2011, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

It's popularity in Japan is also the reason it is getting this reworking. (it also inspired FF13's straight line gameplay) ever notice that the calm lands and chapter 11's areas were very much alike?

In all honesty, this game began the true decline of Final Fantasy, it kept the great story and had a solid battle system to hold it together, but it eliminated a lot of what made previous FF games magical (mainly, EXPLORATION) Final Fantasy has yet to recover and probably never will. FFXII was Vagrant Story 2, FFXIII had an excellent battle system, but no worthwhile story or characters to carry it. Vs XIII looks interesting, but it is basically Kingdom Hearts combat and we still don't know how big the game world is...

I agree with all of this. But at the same time, I don't know if the completely linear gameplay can really be called a decline. I mean, I'm perfectly happy playing the Uncharted games and they offer you no option to move off the storyline.

It is funny though how 10 and 13 are similar. Complete linearity through ¾ of the game and then you are dumped out in a big open area and given no story arc to move through while you are expected to just wander around and do disjointed small quests for a couple of hours. That didn't sit well with me. It was just filler. If the game is going to be linear, then make it a tight story and linear throughout. Don't just drop off the story towards the end in a half hearted attempt to give those endless grinding hours for the players that relish spending hundreds of hours getting every last token and weapon (or riding a bird through a timed course while beach balls are thrown at you )

Quote:
FFXIII had an excellent battle system

This I disagree with. They should replace the current battle system with the system from Star Ocean the Last Hope. If they're trying to make an RPG into a fast paced button smasher, Star Ocean's implementation is the better attempt at it imo.

-Suntan
post #18 of 125 Old 09-16-2011, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know what they were trying to do with FFXIII. I don't think they know.

I only have a few PS2 games left:
-Okami
-FFXII
-Gran Turismo 4

... and that's it. Obviously GT4 will never get a HD remake and Okami probably won't either. FFXII will though.

edit: I didn't play a lot on PS2. I was in college at the time so I missed a lot of great games.
post #19 of 125 Old 09-16-2011, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
I so wish Okami would be remade in HD w/ Move. It was great on the Wii but the visuals could have been so much prettier.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #20 of 125 Old 09-16-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:

In all honesty, this game began the true decline of Final Fantasy

Decline? are you kidding me? this CGI cutscenes, summons, etc. themselves are worth mentioning! gameplay is somewhat linear, but there is plenty of room for exploring (the maps aren't straight lines like FFXIII) and extras. yea, we can't explore the whole world with an airship, but that's not a big deal.

what i find awesome is the world of FFX: the themes, environment, and culture, are brilliant! i guess it's similar to FFVII in that sense, but the culture of FFX really stands out. the battle system also kept the game interesting throughout (sphere grid is not as customizable as materia, but it still allows you to form your characters the way you want), unlike FF XIII's battle system. i couldn't play 1 hour of that horrible game.
post #21 of 125 Old 09-16-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I loved FFX on the PS2, I would like it on the Vita.

Now playing: Watch Dogs

Recently Finished: Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS

PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33

post #22 of 125 Old 09-16-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

The biggest and most important city in X was limited to a CG wedding, a long hallway and a small and simplistic dungeon. Heck, you found the bonus dungeon by randomly looking around a picture of the continental map pressing X. And the summons were also a step back from IX and VI, nothing will beat watching Bahamut laying waste to an entire city.

As for "replace the battle system with the Last Hope's battle system" have you beat both games!? The last hope didn't evolve at all throughout, at least with XIII you steadily got to the point that you could simply destroy every single enemy in the game just by knowing the battle system. (heck, it's good enough to make no Crystarium runs a real possibility) XIII probably has the most action packed and strategic combat of any FF game, you just have to wait until later in the game for the skills to start adding up. (nothing like dropping the chapter 11 tower boss in 1 stagger with well timed attacks when it took 3-4 the first time through) I would actually say that XIII is the most skill based combat system in the series, it just takes some time to get to that point.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #23 of 125 Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would actually say that XIII is the most skill based combat system in the series

And I would disagree with you.

13 had plenty of skills and nuances, but you didn't need to do any of them to beat the game. You just had to mash buttons. Same as Last Hope.

I stand by my comments. As far as button masher RPGs go, Last Hope had a more enjoyable system.

-Suntan
post #24 of 125 Old 09-16-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

The Last Hope was Blindside, attack, kite, repeat. Can't win, EXP grind with a near 400% exp bonus.

And no, you won't be able to mash buttons and beat XIII, you won't make half way through thanks to the level caps forcing you to think. Odin will destroy you if you try playing like that, and that is a rather simple summon fight.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #25 of 125 Old 09-18-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Last Hope was Blindside, attack, kite, repeat. Can't win, EXP grind with a near 400% exp bonus.

And no, you won't be able to mash buttons and beat XIII, you won't make half way through thanks to the level caps forcing you to think. Odin will destroy you if you try playing like that, and that is a rather simple summon fight.
I've played and beat them both. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

-Suntan
post #26 of 125 Old 09-23-2011, 08:14 PM

Cant wait.

post #27 of 125 Old 01-02-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 185
They are really putting resources into it...
Quote:

Square Enix's Yoshinori Kitase revealed that the Final Fantasy X HD Remake for PS3 and PS Vita is in early development. Rumors from the media also stated that remake will not be a simple HD Remaster version, instead the game run on the FFXIII game engine, all characters, scenes and summon aeons will be redrawn, and special effects in magic and other scenes will make use of the Luminous Engine, the Blitz Ball mini game will have some improvements; and the game will have Network support.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #28 of 125 Old 01-02-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I'm going to replay this game for the 3rd time for sure
post #29 of 125 Old 01-03-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

The quote says it's in early development. Any idea of an ETA?

At least... ...so we know how many months to add once the inevitable FF-delay is added?

-Suntan
post #30 of 125 Old 01-03-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Probably a year out. 13-2 had a quick turn around and if they do share the same engine expect it to be quick as well.

I just hope they redo the CG in widescreen HD and not simply upscale or re render the original. Advent Children's bluray was proof that low res CG looks like crap when re rendered to hd without any touch ups. (the textures and hair were clearly meant for the psp screen, even on the dvd)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Final Fantasy X X 2 Hd Remaster Limited Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page