PS3/Wii VGA Cable help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-16-2011, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So i purchased a VGA cable similar to this one http://www.amazon.com/Wii-PS3-VGA-HD.../dp/B0015MISAG and im pretty disappointed. The colors are washed out and the whites are blown out. I was expecting a good picture not perfect but ok for the price. So i stated thinking, maybe i can make it better! After some digging, i found that adding some 220uf capacitors to the RGB lines fixed the blown out whites. But the washed out colors still remain. So im thinking, this cable is using a LMH1251 chip and maybe if i add a video buffer(LMH6739) it might improve the picture. Ok so my problem is im very new to electronics, especially when it comes to reading schematics. So i was hoping someone here could please explain in simple terms how and what i need to connect this LMH6739 to this LMH1251. I highlighted the part in question. This is basically for experimenting and learning, in the end i will get a better solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LMH1251

LMH6739

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-16-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

You need to add 3 flux capacitors and pump in 1.21 jigawatts of power and overclock your cpu to 88rpm
post #3 of 7 Old 09-16-2011, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneyparleg View Post

You need to add 3 flux capacitors and pump in 1.21 jigawatts of power and overclock your cpu to 88rpm

Really!!! Do you think that would work?
post #4 of 7 Old 09-16-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolkiller View Post

So i purchased a VGA cable similar to this one http://www.amazon.com/Wii-PS3-VGA-HD.../dp/B0015MISAG and im pretty disappointed. The colors are washed out and the whites are blown out. I was expecting a good picture not perfect but ok for the price. So i stated thinking, maybe i can make it better! After some digging, i found that adding some 220uf capacitors to the RGB lines fixed the blown out whites. But the washed out colors still remain. So im thinking, this cable is using a LMH1251 chip and maybe if i add a video buffer(LMH6739) it might improve the picture. Ok so my problem is im very new to electronics, especially when it comes to reading schematics. So i was hoping someone here could please explain in simple terms how and what i need to connect this LMH6739 to this LMH1251. I highlighted the part in question. This is basically for experimenting and learning, in the end i will get a better solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LMH1251

LMH6739

Thanks!

According to PS3 Secrets, the only VGA output supported is:
http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html#PS3_Video
AV Multi D-Sub Analog VGA (Sync on Green) 720x480p (576p) Mainly used in Sony monitors

Never tried to use PS3 VGA output on monitors, but the description "Mainly used in Sony monitors" seems to remind me of old Sony CRT computer monitors that has separate RGB input lines for VGA. Since you do get the picture over PS3 VGA, at least the timing line is working. I tried to look up old Sony VGA monitor with separate RPG input but it's difficult find such info on google and not knowing what it was called. I assume you set your PS3 video output to RGB/SCART to use VGA? Again, I don't know if RGB/SCART model on PS3 produces standard VGA signal for regular VGA monitors. (Hopefully, some of my guesses may point you in a right direction).

On X360, it supports VGA officially as one of the output. But one of the most common complains was using VGA produces washout picture. Maybe you should research X360 washout VGA workaround fix (if any) for your PS3 VGA. I remember using X360 VGA when X360 just came out and the VGA did look washout. Microsoft supposed to have improved the VGA picture quality from firmware fix. I'm still using VGA on one of my X360 and the VGA colors look quite close to Component Video now. I can only describe how the washout used to look from memory.

The VGA cable also has Component Video output (strange Blue line is colored white in the picture from Amazon).
post #5 of 7 Old 09-16-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Actually im using the "component/D-SUB" option, so im guessing the cable is doing YPbPr to VGA. It works up to 1080i. I do have an Xbox 360 and im using a VGA cable for that. It did have a slight washed out color problem, but i fixed it with a ArcadeVGA video amp. My main hobbies are building arcades, that actually how i got this idea in the first place. Unfortunately the ArcadeVGA video amp only works if the source has native VGA output. I really just need to know how to read the schematics. But thanks for the link i did learn something new from it.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-16-2011, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolkiller View Post

Actually im using the "component/D-SUB" option, so im guessing the cable is doing YPbPr to VGA. It works up to 1080i. I do have an Xbox 360 and im using a VGA cable for that. It did have a slight washed out color problem, but i fixed it with a ArcadeVGA video amp. My main hobbies are building arcades, that actually how i got this idea in the first place. Unfortunately the ArcadeVGA video amp only works if the source has native VGA output. I really just need to know how to read the schematics. But thanks for the link i did learn something new from it.

If you do solve the PS3 VGA washout issue, please update the thread because I'm too curious. If it was a few years ago, I'll probably will to get PS3 output through VGA because I didn't have DVI monitor that has HDCP support.

You said you also using X360 with VGA output, I have a Samsung 720p with TV monitor/HDTV that has VGA input. If I plug my X360 using VGA, the monitor always shows signal out of range. X360 officially can output 1280x720 resolution. I tried to manually set X360 output to lowest possible resolution on another monitor but whenever I plug to the Samsung monitor, it can't sync to any signal. I don't have any device that can measure what video resolution what my Samsung monitor thinks it's receiving. Any idea?

Update:
Looking at the cabling again at Amazon. The white output mostly the analog audio with the red output. With Green only output cable presumably for horizontal timing sync, how do you plug the green output only to on the monitor? If it's plugged to the Component Video input, not all multi input monitors can display inputs from the Component Video and VGA input at the same time. Also VGA already has its own horizontal timing line, what is the Green output cable used for? If it's composite, then cable has a strange way to color code the outputs.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-16-2011, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

If you do solve the PS3 VGA washout issue, please update the thread because I'm too curious. If it was a few years ago, I'll probably will to get PS3 output through VGA because I didn't have DVI monitor that has HDCP support.

You said you also using X360 with VGA output, I have a Samsung 720p with TV monitor/HDTV that has VGA input. If I plug my X360 using VGA, the monitor always shows signal out of range. X360 officially can output 1280x720 resolution. I tried to manually set X360 output to lowest possible resolution on another monitor but whenever I plug to the Samsung monitor, it can't sync to any signal. I don't have any device that can measure what video resolution what my Samsung monitor thinks it's receiving. Any idea?

Update:
Looking at the cabling again at Amazon. The white output mostly the analog audio with the red output. With Green only output cable presumably for horizontal timing sync, how do you plug the green output only to on the monitor? If it's plugged to the Component Video input, not all multi input monitors can display inputs from the Component Video and VGA input at the same time. Also VGA already has its own horizontal timing line, what is the Green output cable used for? If it's composite, then cable has a strange way to color code the outputs.

Sorry i have no idea why your x360 is not working, i never had problems with mine. As for the cable from Amazon, the green plug is Composite Video Out and the color should be yellow, not sure why they made it green. The plug is used for setting up the PS3/Wii, you have to hook it up to a TV first to change the video setting first then you hook it up to your monitor.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page