Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

We've known since December that Vita games would be shipping without manuals:
http://andriasang.com/comzdz/vita_game_manuals/

Sorry, I wasn't aware....late to the party I guess.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1797 Old 02-13-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post

Wonder why they don't shrink the cases a little more since there is no manual.

I like the idea of a digital manual, but I will have to wait and see how it's implemented I guess.

Nevermind, I just got Wipeout 2048 and Hot Shots Golf from amazon, and the cases are about the perfect size IMO. The picture made them look bigger in my head than what they turned out to be.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #303 of 1797 Old 02-13-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

...and if you can't tell - that pic is the cardboard insert for the Vita Trigger Grip.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I'm really not interested in the Vita at this point but that grip does intrigue me. I've always found these handhelds uncomfortable to hold for extended periods and that looks like it would improve the ergonomics a lot. I'd love to read some feedback when you've had a chance to play with it.
post #304 of 1797 Old 02-13-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I'm really not interested in the Vita at this point but that grip does intrigue me. I've always found these handhelds uncomfortable to hold for extended periods and that looks like it would improve the ergonomics a lot. I'd love to read some feedback when you've had a chance to play with it.

So far, without the Vita in it, it feels very good - like a wide Dual Shock controller. The extensions that run down inside the hands gives a feeling of stability. It's lightweight plastic, and the outside has that faux-satin feel. So it's not sticky or rubbery, but not slippery either... just "smooth".

It seems like it should be easy to insert and remove the Vita for travel. It also looks like all ports will be accessible, so I'm thinking this might be good protection from scratches when sitting on a table charging.

What remains to be seen is if the shape gets in the way of front and/or rear touch control, and how accurate the triggers are for the L and R buttons. I hate the reaching for the L and R buttons on the PSP, which usually cramps my hands after a while and threatens to loose grip on the unit with my fairly large hands. So moving those button down, so to speak, should help with that, in theory at least.

But so far, I'm thinking it will be a nice, if overpriced, add-on. More to come on the Trigger Grip when the Vita arrives this week.

btw, I got the games, and those lil' cases are ADORABLE!
post #305 of 1797 Old 02-13-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I just read that the "free" game that comes with signing up for the 3G service is Super Stardust Delta!

"Free" is in quotes because it's available after buying a session/month of 3G for $15@250megs or $30@3gigs.
post #306 of 1797 Old 02-13-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just read that the "free" game that comes with signing up for the 3G service is Super Stardust Delta!

"Free" is in quotes because it's available after buying a session/month of 3G for $15@250megs or $30@3gigs.

It's SSD and the DLC I think.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #307 of 1797 Old 02-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Gai
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
*Anxiously awaits for my First Edition Bundle from Amazon, with Lumines and Uncharted*

Thanksgiving can be a sham, but it's a sham with yams. It's a yam sham.
post #308 of 1797 Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gai View Post

*Anxiously awaits for my First Edition Bundle from Amazon, with Lumines and Uncharted*

+1... I got my shipping confirmation... w00t!

Should we start a "PS Vita Owner's Thread" once we get it?
post #309 of 1797 Old 02-14-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gai View Post

Quote:

I have to wait until next week. But worst part is I'm supposed to work M-F in Minnesota, so I actually won't get it until late Friday. The games are already here teasing me.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #310 of 1797 Old 02-15-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

But worst part is I'm supposed to work M-F in Minnesota,

Ha Ha! Sucks to be sent to Minnes... Oh wait.

-Suntan
post #311 of 1797 Old 02-15-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

+1 as well!

OtherWorlds - My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
post #312 of 1797 Old 02-15-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

A little comic while we wait:

post #313 of 1797 Old 02-15-2012, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
For those who are curious how Gamefly would pack and ship Vita games, looks like they didn't put in much of an effort. Ha.
LL

PSN: futurecode
post #314 of 1797 Old 02-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
It's probably worth including a link to this list of PSP games that will run on the Vita:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/...es-to-ps-vita/

Note that it's a work in progress. Joystiq points out that Valkyria Chronicles 2 and PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe are also known to work, even if they currently aren't on the list.
post #315 of 1797 Old 02-15-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Picked mine up at lunch. Tried to use the browser, but it won't work without a system update. However, I can't access a public wifi spot without the browser to get the update... good one Sony. I wanted to start downloading some games, but I guess it'll have to wait until later... can't wait to put this thing through its paces.
post #316 of 1797 Old 02-15-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

Picked mine up at lunch. Tried to use the browser, but it won't work without a system update. However, I can't access a public wifi spot without the browser to get the update... good one Sony. I wanted to start downloading some games, but I guess it'll have to wait until later... can't wait to put this thing through its paces.

Heh... that's tough!

But @#$ the browser, what games are you playing, and what's your initial impressions????

btw, here's a good overview of all the gear available for the Vita.

EDIT: heads up about problems installing downloaded games on the Vita.
post #317 of 1797 Old 02-15-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Yes, please! I won't have one before Feb 22nd - awaiting the wi-fi only version and then hoping that Sony Style stores (at least the one at Tysons Corner) has them on launch day so I can use my gift card. But I want a place to read owners' thoughts in the meantime.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #318 of 1797 Old 02-15-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Ha Ha! Sucks to be sent to Minnes... Oh wait.

-Suntan

Haha, nothing wrong with Minnesota. St. Paul Park area has always been nice to me when I've had to work there. Just wish I had the Vita before leaving.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #319 of 1797 Old 02-15-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Haha, nothing wrong with Minnesota. St. Paul Park area has always been nice to me when I've had to work there. Just wish I had the Vita before leaving.

I just back from a Holiday in Jamaica... ...to single digit temps. It does suck.

-Suntan
post #320 of 1797 Old 02-15-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Playstation Lifestyle has a great buyer's guide that summarizes both the games and the system and puts it all to one place:

Page 1 (of 2)

Quote:

PlayStation Vita Buyer's Guide
02/15/2012 Written by Nick Michetti

Sony's next generation handheld, the PlayStation Vita, begins today with the official arrival of the First Edition Bundle. The remaining future Vita owners join them next week on Wednesday, February 22nd. But if you're one of the people lucky enough to be picking up a Vita, you need to know what to buy. What games should you get? What accessories do you need? Don't worry: PSLS has you covered with our PlayStation Vita buyer's guide, your one-stop resource for all of the things you need to consider to begin your next-gen portable gaming experience.

Games We Recommend

1. Uncharted: Golden Abyss ($49.99)

Sony Bend offers a handheld take on Naughty Dog's best-selling PS3 franchise that makes the transition with a surprising amount of the quality graphics and gameplay experience intact. Drake, Dante, and Marisa Chase uncover the dark secret behind a 400-year-old massacre of a Spanish expedition as they race into Central America in search of a lost city. The game is a showcase for Vita, as it offers stunning near-HD visuals that shine on Vita's OLED screen, utilizes the touch screen for puzzle solving, and uses the motion sensor for aiming assistance. Also, voice actors Nolan North (Drake) and Richard McGonagle (Sully) return to voice their characters for true Uncharted authenticity. Uncharted: Golden Abyss is the standout title of the PlayStation Vita launch that everyone should consider picking up. Read full review >>

2. Lumines: Electronic Symphony ($39.99)

The Q? Entertainment puzzle series that made quite the impact on the PSP launch returns on PlayStation Vita with a brand-new installment that boasts better graphics, 34 licensed songs from electronic music artists that comprise the game's tracklist, a new experience system that helps gamers unlock new skins, multiplayer, and avatars that give the player an ability in single player and multiplayer modes. Lumines: ES has traditional d-pad and analog stick control support, in addition to front touch screen controls to help newcomers play as well. Anyone who's played a Lumines game can tell you that the gameplay formula is simple, fun, and addictive Lumines: Electronic Symphony will undoubtedly be the same. Read full review >>

3. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 ($39.99)

Capcom's handheld installment of their best-selling fighting game might be the most value-packed of any game in the PlayStation Vita launch lineup, as it offers just about every single feature from its home console counterpart. 50 playable characters, traditional controls in addition to touch screen control support, everything from UMVC3 (including Heroes & Heralds mode, which was added to UMVC3 after release), Wi-Fi online multiplayer, Spectator Mode, Vita-exclusive replay save and playback, content trade via NEAR functionality, the ability to share DLC content from the PS3 version with the Vita version, and the ability to use Vita as a controller for the PS3 version of the game (with touch screen control support!) are all features included in the game. With all of those features not to mention the addictive UMVC3 fighting formula UMVC3 Vita is a content-packed must-have for Vita owners. Read the full review >>

4. WipEout 2048 ($39.99)

Sony's futuristic anti-gravity racing series WipEout returns to PlayStation platforms once more with WipEout 2048. Cross-platform play with PS3 owners via WipEout HD, an online multiplayer mode with a campaign style (either mode supports up to eight players), co-op missions, and touch, tilt, and voice command support round out the game's impressive feature set. WipEout 2048, like Uncharted: Golden Abyss, is another game with visuals that will shine brightly on the system's OLED screen. Gamers looking for a fast-paced racing fix should consider picking SCEE Studio Liverpool's Vita installment of the long-running series. Read full review >>

5. Rayman Origins ($39.99)

Michel Ancel's limbless wonder returns for action in this port of the critically acclaimed 2D platformer released last year for home consoles. Although missing the multiplayer from the console version, Ubisoft has strived to include all of the gameplay from the home console version of the game. They've also included a zoom feature (so that gamers can find the game's many collectibles) and a Ghost mode (where players can challenge each other's ghosts at speed runs). Gamers who missed out on the game's first release and/or are looking for a quality platformer to enjoy with their new handheld should consider picking up the Vita version. Read full review >>

Other Vita Launch Titles:

Escape Plan (PSN Only)**
Hustle Kings (PSN Only)
Plants vs. Zombies (PSN Only)**
Super Stardust Delta (PSN Only)**
Tales of Space: Mutant Blobs (PSN Only)
Army Corps of Hell
Asphalt Injection
BEN10 GALACTIC RACING
Blazblue: Continuum Shift EXTEND
Dungeon Hunter Alliance
Dynasty Warriors Next
EA Sports FIFA Soccer
F1 2011
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational**
Little Deviants
Michael Jackson The Experience
ModNation Racers: Road Trip
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Reality Fighters
Ridge Racer
Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen
Touch My Katamari
Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition
**Highly recommended

Vita Launch Window Titles:

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
Gravity Rush**
LEGO Harry Potter Years 5-7
MLB 12: The Show**
Silent Hill: Book of Memories
Sumioni: Demon Arts**
Supremacy MMA: Unrestricted
Unit 13
**Highly recommended

Page 2 (of 2)
Quote:

Backwards Compatibility

The PlayStation Vita has no compatibility with UMD whatsoever at this time and Sony has announced that they will not be bringing the UMD Passport Program which enables gamers to download digital versions of their UMD games at discounted prices to North America. Europe's status for this program remains TBA at this point. Vita is compatible with PSP titles downloaded digitally from the PlayStation Store, but not all of them at this point. Vita-compatible PSP games can be directly downloaded to Vita via Wi-Fi or PS3 Content Manager transfer (see below).

To check the PSP titles currently compatible with Vita, check the list here. Also, keep in mind that users may encounter difficulties by the number of consoles they've activated.

The PlayStation Vita is also not PSOne Classic or Game Archive enabled yet, which means that the system cannot yet play PSOne Classics or classic titles from other systems yet. Compatibility is coming in the future, though.

Content Management & Save Backup

Via the Content Manager program, Vita can transfer and backup Vita data to the PlayStation 3, Windows PC, or Apple Mac platforms. Vita games or Vita-compatible PSP games downloaded on the PlayStation 3 can be transferred to the Vita as well.

Vita Memory Cards, Saving, & Game Access

Vita Memory Cards come in 4 different data capacities:

4GB - $19.99
8GB - $29.99
16GB - $59.99
32GB - $99.99
Many PlayStation Vita titles do require a Memory Card for saving and some of those titles even require a PlayStation Vita Memory Card to be inserted into the unit in order to play those titles. Vita titles that require a Memory Card usually have an icon on the front of the box art to indicate how much space they require. However, some PlayStation Vita titles do have on-board storage for saves and do not require a Memory Card.

Vita Memory Cards are proprietary, meaning that no other Memory Card can be used for saving purposes.

Buying Digitally, Discounts, & Ideal Memory Card Sizes

All PlayStation Vita titles are said to arrive on the PlayStation Store digitally at the same time as their retail counterparts and will have a 10% discount compared to retail. Gamers who plan on buying digitally should make their purchases via PSN cards for maximum safety and purchase a Memory Card that is no less than 8GB, although we recommend a 16GB minimum if possible. Many of the games available on the PlayStation Store for Vita are already over 1GB, with Uncharted: Golden Abyss requiring 3.2GB of space.

Accessories

Gamers looking to keep their Vitas safe may want to invest in some kind of case for the handheld. First Edition Bundle owners are already receiving a case, but everyone else may want to look at the PlayStation Vita Travel Pouch ($19.99), a zipper case with a soft, resistant outer shell and textured neoprene inner liner. The Vita Travel Pouch has storage for a Vita, 2 accessories, and four slots for game card storage. Pictures on Amazon.com show the device comfortably holding the unit's AC adapter and a USB cable, a plus for gamers who are on the go.

HORI has also made some hard cases ($14.99, available in black and blue) for the Vita that have one Carbiner, in addition to storage for a Vita and 2 game cards.

The Vita's touch screen will be seeing plenty of action, so gamers may want to invest in protective film for the handheld, which is available in Sony two-packs for $9.99.

Gamers looking for more accessories may want to consider the PlayStation Vita Starter Kit ($39.99), which comes with a 4GB Memory Card, Vita Pocket Pouch (a Vita version of the soft case that was bundled with PSPs), protective film, a clamshell card case (with storage for up to 8 games and 2 Memory Cards), headphones, and a cleaning cloth.

Separately, the card case retails for $5.99. The headset which may or may not be the same as the headphones, but seems at least similar retails for $19.99.

The Vita comes with a USB cable standard, as it's used with the AC adapter for charging, but if you need an extra one, they retail for $14.99. Gamers who need another AC adapter can purchase one for $14.99.

Are you picking up a PlayStation Vita? Let us know in the comments below!

OtherWorlds - My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
post #321 of 1797 Old 02-15-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Just a unboxing video I did. I still can't believe I deciding the first edition one just to get it early. It was too tempting.
post #322 of 1797 Old 02-15-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Heh... that's tough!

But @#$ the browser, what games are you playing, and what's your initial impressions????

Well, the only games I have right now are the ones that came with the bundle -- Uncharted and Little Deviants. I've played through the first 4 chapters of Uncharted so far and it is very reminiscent of Drake's Fortune.

The analog sticks are excellent for player movement and camera control, but I'm having a lot of problems aiming. I had to turn off the intu-aiming and lower the sensitivity to almost minimum levels to have any control. However, this makes gunplay very sluggish. I've read on NeoGaf that some others are having the same problem, but most of the positive reviews from gaming sites don't mention it. Maybe it can be patched.

Everything else about the game is great, but the aiming is making me reconsider using the Vita for shooters. I will still buy Unit 13, but if the experience is similar, I'll probably stick to other genres for this device.

Edit: looks like I had auto-aim set to off. Aiming is great with it on and the gyro controls enhance gameplay nicely.
post #323 of 1797 Old 02-15-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Any of you guys have ModNation Racers: Road Trip? I've been playing it for an hour, but am I to understand there is no manual of any kind included on the game itself? I get the feeling I am REALLY missing something with it and I'd like to at least be able to read an in-game manual, since they are too cheap to give us Vita gamers paper manuals.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #324 of 1797 Old 02-15-2012, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Anyone buy & play Escape Plan already ?

It's out now on the North American PS Store for $14.99 and is a 882MB download.

This is the game that I am interested in the most out of all of the PS Vita launch titles.
post #325 of 1797 Old 02-15-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
In case some of you don't know it yet, their are some free demos already available such as Rayman and Uncharted for example.
post #326 of 1797 Old 02-15-2012, 10:24 PM

Liked: 10
Got mine today with Uncharted, Lumines, MvC3, and WipEout. I also purchased Super Stardust and Escape Plan from the PSN.

So far I've only put Lumines and Super Stardust through some major playing time and REALLY enjoyed both.

I'm checking out Escape Plan right now. It is a series of rooms that you have to guide your character through, each with different puzzles. The character can only walk in a straight line so the game sort of feels linear. Though I just starting, I'm really liking it.
post #327 of 1797 Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I got to play around with the Vita a bit, and think it's a cool piece of hardware!

There's a lot to poke around with even before loading a game. The introduction movies are very nice, and the Welcome Plaza offers a good primer to how the thing works.

I went to copy the PSP version of Little Big Planet from my PS3 to the Vita and hit my first snag - the devices weren't talking to each other. But I found the SOLUTION - the Vita has to be plugged into the PS3's first (#1, left) USB port. It doesn't work on the #2/right USB port. I hope this helps someone else from the frustration I had, and I would guess this is probably RTFM.

I was surprised to launch the "Near" app and see so many people within 6 miles playing a Vita! Our town is medium sized, and I don't live in the most populated, nor the wealthiest area, but saw about 7 people who played that day.

So I poked around a bit, getting used to the UI - which is fine. Launched the PSN Store, or whatever it's called now, and was pleasantly surprised to find demos for many of the games available. It's cool that downloads can happen in the background while doing other things, so while I was downloading the Rayman Origins and Dungeon Hunter Alliance demos, I also played a bit of wipEout2048.

Speaking of wipEout 2048 - I couldn't figure out where to put in my online pass that came with the game...? I didn't really pursue it much, but it isn't really apparent how to do this, which might be bad design. But the game looks good and plays well.

Also played a bit of Little Deviants, which is what everyone says it is - tech demos that use all the Vita's features (front and back touch, cameras, etc..), wrapped in a game. I found it fun, but YMMV.

I haven't cracked open Uncharted yet, which I'll save once I have some time to sink in and absorb it.

Oh, and the trigger grip accessory seems to work well - it makes holding it easier and places the L-R buttons is a better position for my hands, which are two big wins. The triggers are a little rough to press, but not bad. It also cuts down on portability, and makes the Vita feel a little wider. Playing Deviants it seems like this might make it a little trickier touching the center of the front and rear touchpads. OTOH, this might be just the learning curve. It's not an absolutely necessary accessory, but I'm glad I have it and will be always using it when I'm at home.

Overall, LOVE the Vita - nice tech (except cameras, which are meh), good built-in software, great screen, feels good, and the games seem to be fun so far. If you are on the fence, give it a try - I think you'll like it!
post #328 of 1797 Old 02-16-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

...I went to copy the PSP version of Little Big Planet from my PS3 to the Vita and hit my first snag - the devices weren't talking to each other. But I found the SOLUTION - the Vita has to be plugged into the PS3's first (#1, left) USB port. It doesn't work on the #2/right USB port. I hope this helps someone else from the frustration I had, and I would guess this is probably RTFM...

So the PSP version of LBP does work on the Vita? I had heard it didn't, which was disappointing since that was the free PSP game I chose for the whole security mess last year. I only have one or two other digital copy PSP games, so I was looking forward to LBP being transferable. I figured they probably blocked that game so as not to limit sales of the Vita version they are working on.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #329 of 1797 Old 02-16-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/...le+Feedfetcher

Quote:

-If you purchase Hustle Kings for PS Vita, you will get Hustle Kings on PS3 for free. If you already own Hustle Kings on PS3, you’ll be able to download the PS Vita version for free.
-If you purchase WipEout 2048, you will be able to download WipEout 2048’s DLC packs, WipEout HD and HD Fury for free when they launch later this spring (if you already own the PS3 versions).
-DLC purchased for the PS3 version of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 can be used on the PS Vita version for free (and vice versa).

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #330 of 1797 Old 02-16-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post

So the PSP version of LBP does work on the Vita?

I loaded PSP-LBP on the Vita, installed it and played the opening video before I quit out to try something else. So I think it's fine, but I can't say I played a level or anything. I'll try here in a bit when I go to lunch. EDIT - seems to work fine - got to the section where you customize the sackboy.

btw, the PSP games look "ok" on the Vita, but somewhat "pixely" or jaggy compared to Vita games. Sharp lines and small text can look somewhat bad. But nonetheless, it's pretty cool to play these PSP games on the next-gen screen! EDIT - I take this back somewhat - playing LBP looks pretty good. Probably not as good as the Vita version will be, but still, not bad at all.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation Vita Wifi , Playstation Vita The Walking Dead Bundle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page