Official Playstation Vita Thread - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 1765 Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Opinions please.. Should I buy Marvel vs Capcom or Wipeout? I have the demo of Wipeout on my PSP and find it to be just so-so. I'm not good at it (run into walls) which makes it less fun. I read somewhere that the Vita version is easier as the tracks are wider. I've never played Marvel vs Capcom. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 1765 Old 02-24-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyxbr View Post

Opinions please.. Should I buy Marvel vs Capcom or Wipeout? I have the demo of Wipeout on my PSP and find it to be just so-so. I'm not good at it (run into walls) which makes it less fun. I read somewhere that the Vita version is easier as the tracks are wider. I've never played Marvel vs Capcom. What do you think?

I'm not a big fan of fighters and love arcade racers, so take my advice with a grain of salt -- wipEout2048 is the choice here. With that said, I'm not that great at racing games.. but I love a good one with fun objectives, unlockables, and combat at times. I've been having a blast with 2048.

2048 starts fairly easy in the C class, and the initial races are pretty slow and not many curves. But the difficulty ramps up once you hit B class, and into A class the races get very fast and windy.

Also in C class I think you only have to complete in the top 5 for races, and the time trials and combat events don't have a very high requirements to move on. Just be advised it gets pretty tricky the further you move in the game.

I'm in A class right now and I think at level 11 or 12 (?), and the races are pretty crazy. If you don't like racing the same course over and over to memorize when to airbrake into a turn, then this game might not be for you. Also, loading times is a bit agonizing, but at least levels reload pretty fast.

I believe there's a demo on PSN - check it out.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #393 of 1765 Old 02-24-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyxbr View Post

Leo_Ames... I cannot find Sega Genesis Collection on PSN for PSP. UMD only. I found a forum that indicates that in 2009 there was not a PSN option, only physical disk. Do you believe it was added to PSN since then? In any case I cannot find it.

It was added to the North American PSN store on September 30, 2009 and to the European store the following week.

You won't see it at the PSN store through your Vita since it's one of the many PSP games yet to be cleared by Sony to confirm compatibility. Until compatibility is confirmed by Sony, you will have to purchase it through your PS3 and then transfer it to your Vita, a process that appears easy.
post #394 of 1765 Old 02-24-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warcrow View Post

(8/10) Mutant Blog Attacks: An underrated, great game I hope people don't pass on, especially for the price. In fact it's probably tied with my second favorite Vita title (Super Stardust Delta). It's wacky, fun, easy to jump in and out of. It's like a 2D Katamari. You roll around collecting junk to get bigger, so it's got a puzzle aspect to it. Is it better than Katamari, I dont know because I've not played it yet, but it's a lot cheaper.

Thanks for that... based on your review I gave it a shot. Pretty fun game - starts simple, but gets hard, and great art with some funny background gags, and cute music too. It doesn't take up much space, so at $8 it's a very worthwhile download for the Vita.

post #395 of 1765 Old 02-26-2012, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

For the longest time I was under the impression the VITA was going to have tv out, wasn't this announced to be part of the spec (when did they pull that feature, or was it never official)?

Jason

At the trade shows (e3, Tokyo Game Show, etc, etc), the demo units have HDMI out, and they have it connected directly to Sony LCD TV's. So the capability is there. Why it doesn't have it from Jump Street is pretty asinine if you ask me. Surely this is a scenario in which Sony was hoping to use hdmi output as the key feature in it's first revision. Either that, or including HDMI raised the cost higher than they wanted to deal with. I can't imagine having a mini HDMI connector (with a dongle), would raise the price more than a couple of bucks.

This lends me to think it's 100 percent related to having a "killer" feature for the first revision of the hardware.

For the people that have said, "Why have an HDMI output anyways, who cares?"

If you had HDMI out, and it also could support a Dual Shock 3, then you essentially have a portable console that can be hooked up to a huge TV, but also taken on the go. Now, of course a huge problem with this idea, is the fact that so many games will have touch screen functionality, or rear touchpad functionality, and this would mean that you couldn't use a Dual Shock 3, unless the game has an option allowing you to turn off all touch controls. I'm guessing a year or so from now, games will start shipping with the option to turn off touch related controls for those that aren't interested in mixing those kinds of controls with their fast action games. Does anybody want touch based control in Wipeout 2048 or Uncharted? Not really. But Sony is going to force everybody to use front and back touch for the first 18 months of the systems lifespan, but then after that I'd guess that they will leave it up to the developer/publisher. I'd absolutely love to have the option of playing games like Wipeout and Uncharted on a big TV via HDMI, if I could get away with just using a DualShock3 controller.

Guess I'll wait for the first revision (which hopefully will also have slightly better thumbsticks, and maybe 16 GB of built in storage)
post #396 of 1765 Old 02-27-2012, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Also important if a revision were to include tv/out is the ability to upscale the image so we get full screen output and a correct aspect ratio.

That severely hurt the PSP's tv/out for games since the system didn't have the excess power to scale the image (Only could for the dash and for videos). So we got a terribly screwed up aspect ratio (Since the PSP and also the Vita utilize differently proportioned pixels) that had to letterboxed and pillarboxed significantly.

Still, I think the touch screens will be a deterrent to ever incorporating this feature.
post #397 of 1765 Old 02-27-2012, 03:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

But Sony is going to force everybody to use front and back touch for the first 18 months of the systems lifespan

Really? Or are you just speculating? Because that would be a big deterrent for me to consider buying one.
post #398 of 1765 Old 02-27-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd absolutely love to have the option of playing games like Wipeout and Uncharted on a big TV via HDMI, if I could get away with just using a DualShock3 controller.

IMO: The best thing about touchscreen is how nice it is to navigate menus, both in the UI and in-game.

I can take it or leave it when it comes to gameplay - I like having the touchscreen option, yet will usually choose real buttons. But navigating menus, scrolling text, choosing options... the touchscreen adds to the experience. And this is something that would be killed with dual-shock control.

btw, you can play wipEout and Uncharted on a big TV via HDMI.

post #399 of 1765 Old 02-27-2012, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Guess I'll wait for the first revision (which hopefully will also have slightly better thumbsticks, and maybe 16 GB of built in storage)

I don't see this being a reality until the Vita memory pricing drops significantly. Right now Sony is making a killing on their proprietary cards, including that much memory in the next revision( let's say we see that in 2013-2014) would cannibalize their own card sales.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #400 of 1765 Old 02-27-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

I don't see this being a reality until the Vita memory pricing drops significantly. Right now Sony is making a killing on their proprietary cards, including that much memory in the next revision( let's say we see that in 2013-2014) would cannibalize their own card sales.

Not sure I would call it a killing. The margin is pretty high, but at this point, the cards may be a way of keeping the device afloat amid tepid sales.

And regardless of how prices fluctuate, I doubt Sony will be adding on-board storage. They'll continue to chalk it up to "piracy concerns," especially if they do end up making a "killing" on their proprietary cards.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #401 of 1765 Old 02-27-2012, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Found a 32Gig memory card at Gamestop so dropped the money on a new Vita. This is the first Oled screen I've ever seen and I am impressed. Bright, colorful, sharp and black is black. Only way to know if it's on is the little blue light on the button.
The resolution is not as high as the iphone 4 so I can either see the pixel structure or there is a layer of burlap that the screen is projecting through, like a texture or somthing.
The machine is missing triggers and I don't believe the analog sticks act as buttons so ports of big AAA titles will have to work with missing buttons.
I am a bit dissapointed that Uncharted is requiring me to touch the screen for major parts of the game. Mele combat swipes were neat at first but really interfere with the flow of the game. I hope this is not a trend will other games or at least can be turned on and off in options.
The web browser reminds me of the original iphone safari with the checkerboards. I bet they can improve this in the future, hopefully.
Now I just need to find a nice case that's small and will fit a few game cartriges.
post #402 of 1765 Old 02-27-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Not sure I would call it a killing. The margin is pretty high, but at this point, the cards may be a way of keeping the device afloat amid tepid sales.

And regardless of how prices fluctuate, I doubt Sony will be adding on-board storage. They'll continue to chalk it up to "piracy concerns," especially if they do end up making a "killing" on their proprietary cards.

Well in any event, what I'm mainly saying is I seriously doubt they'll include 16gb of storage anytime soon, for reasons I stated( which we agree on in principle). By the time they did that with the PSPGo, memory prices had dropped big-time, and I suspect there wasn't much money to be made at that point.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #403 of 1765 Old 02-27-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

If you've played Little Deviants and like crude humor, check out this Penny Arcade comic.

post #404 of 1765 Old 02-27-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull View Post

Really? Or are you just speculating? Because that would be a big deterrent for me to consider buying one.

I imagine they're going to pressure developers of bigger games to utilize the system's features. It took quite sometime for things to calm down on the DS and Wii where developers on non shovelware projects started to just utilize the novel control features they had available just when they actually made sense and stopped shoehorning them into places where traditional controls made the most sense.

You saw a lot more games in the last few years on the Wii that had Classic Controller and GameCube support than you did the first couple of years the system was on the market. Developers often had great difficulty just getting the necessary information from Nintendo to support these accessories early on since they wanted developers to focus on motion controls and refused to provide them the information to impliment Classic Controller support (A situation that Metal Slug fans might remember back when Nintendo had no plans to allow that controller to be used in anything but the Virtual Console).

It's speculation, but it seems like reasonable speculation to me. I suspect we're going to have lots of examples like Uncharted over the next couple of years before developers start to just utilize the touch screens when it actually makes sense to use them, rather than supporting them for the sake of supporting them.

Quote:

To me, getting as much storage space in the hands of consumers seems to be the way to go. Making a killing on game downloads seems like a much more financially sensible move to me than trying to make a killing off the memory cards themselves. High memory card prices are a deterrent to people actually downloading software off PSN.

They should be selling them at near cost. And if that's still too high, subsidize them to get people downloading and get people buying the system that view something like a $100 memory card purchase to have adequate space as a deterrent to purchasing the system.

Quote:

How would on-board storage cause piracy concerns? What's the significance if the memory is built into the device (Like the 16 gigs every Go came with) or resides on a Vita memory card where security is concerned?

If anything, having adequate memory built into the thing so many customers don't need a memory card would make the platform more secure. Easily removable memory cards will make it that much easier down the road to be able to access them via a PC once pirates start to put the puzzle together.
post #405 of 1765 Old 02-27-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone get the Nyko Power Grip? I don't see them online anywhere.
post #406 of 1765 Old 02-27-2012, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Just got back from BestBuy the vita section looks like a bomb went off. NO accessories or cases left. I went in looking for a nice case and came out with a copy of Rayman Origins. Staff said new shipment of 'stuff' wont be in till mid March.
I guess these vita game carts cost sony a bit more than pressing cd's. Not a whole lot of copies of games to be found.
post #407 of 1765 Old 02-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
After spending several days with the vita I have to say I'm impressed. I'm not quite sure how it's going to fit into my gaming life but I'm sure I'll find a place.

Everything feels rock solid and the two analog sticks really is a game changer. They can feel a bit "floaty" at times ,particularly Uncharted, but I might chalk that up to software rather then hardware.

the screen is crazy gorgeous, sooo frikken sharp, I get illusions of 3d depth its so nice. I do have that "black spotting" on a completely black screen while in a totally dark room but it's such a rare situation to be in it doesn't faze me.

The touchpad in the rear can be annoying to accidentally touch (I have the trigger grips on order, I feel they will help immensely with that) but I have to tell you, it implemented right, it's a difference maker. For example, in FIFA, the opening of the goal is the touch pad, so when shooting on goal instead of hitting a button and holding the analog stick in a direction you want to shoot, you tap EXACTLY where you want your shot to go, top left, middle right, bottom center ..... It really does make a huge difference in gameplay, to the point where I'm probably going to go Sports games first on the Vita from here on out.

All in all I'm diggin it immensely, I have a job with a lot of downtime so i have the time to play at work and after 11 years in a relationship I recently just became single again, so my home gaming time has become scarce with going out quite a bit more so it's the best time for me to jump back into handheld gaming.

Can't wait for Motorstorm RC and MLB The Show, they look like they are going to kill it on the Vita!

PSN: futurecode
post #408 of 1765 Old 02-27-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

How would on-board storage cause piracy concerns? What's the significance if the memory is built into the device (Like the 16 gigs every Go came with) or resides on a Vita memory card where security is concerned?

If anything, having adequate memory built into the thing so many customers don't need a memory card would make the platform more secure. Easily removable memory cards will make it that much easier down the road to be able to access them via a PC once pirates start to put the puzzle together.

I completely agree, and that's precisely my point. Sony will tow the "piracy concerns" line as long as they possibly can in order to turn an extra profit. And once that excuse runs dry, they'll start talking about how the external cards are "more flexible" and allow for "greater consumer choice." I'm not saying it's true. I'm saying that Sony will continue to tell us that it is.

post #409 of 1765 Old 02-27-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Holy irritation, Batman. Setting up the DataConnect Pass is a futile effort. It keeps locking up and crashing on me, requiring a hard reboot.

If you've been through this, what is the process? The start-up guide is pretty worthless. It says to log in with my existing account. It doesn't appear I can log in with my existing AT&T account, that doesn't work. It also doesn't take my PSN account and password. Can't create a new account, that locks it up.

Pretty irritating I can't log in with my PSN account to update it also. Had to set up a trial account, do the update, then set up my regular account.

Bummed none but one of my PSP games, and almost none of my Minis are available for the Vita. I had over 60 games on the PSP's memory card. Flying Hamsters isn't all that great of a game, either. No LBP, no Wipeout, no Modnation Racers, no Buzz, heck I can't even remember all the DLC I had now. And no Hungry Giraffe Mini!

EDIT: up to 2 games from PSP, Patapon 2 works.
post #410 of 1765 Old 02-27-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

. No LBP

I'm playing Little Big Planet on my Vita.

post #411 of 1765 Old 02-27-2012, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Question for Vita owners who also have kids in your house. Is there a way to share game saves with your kids? For example, my son has a 3DS, and when we play Super Mario Land 3D or Pilotwings Resort, all three of us are able to have our own save game. We each have our little Mii pictures, and our own save games tied to them.

The idea of needing to buy 3 Vita's and 3 copies of each game isn't something I'm interested in, but I thought I heard some talk about Sony making it very difficult for people to share a single Vita.

Can anybody comment on this?
post #412 of 1765 Old 02-27-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:

Question for Vita owners who also have kids in your house. Is there a way to share game saves with your kids? For example, my son has a 3DS, and when we play Super Mario Land 3D or Pilotwings Resort, all three of us are able to have our own save game. We each have our little Mii pictures, and our own save games tied to them.

The idea of needing to buy 3 Vita's and 3 copies of each game isn't something I'm interested in, but I thought I heard some talk about Sony making it very difficult for people to share a single Vita.

We have 1 vita in the house and my kid I play Uncharted, Virtua tennis together and are able to have seperate saves so when he plays he knows which is his and to keep playing his game save

hope this helps
post #413 of 1765 Old 02-28-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecode View Post

Everything feels rock solid and the two analog sticks really is a game changer. They can feel a bit "floaty" at times ,particularly Uncharted, but I might chalk that up to software rather then hardware.

Had that problem with uncharted also. Uncharted on the ps3 was never known to have great shooting controls either. I always found them to be floaty as well. I downloaded the demo for unit 13 and the shooting controls were much better. Still not perfect, but a huge improvement over uncharted.
post #414 of 1765 Old 02-28-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It will now rest with individual developers because Sony has limited the device to only one active account. In order to have multiple active games, you'll have to have multiple saves. And that power lies entirely in developers' hands. So as long as they allow for multiple saves, you should be okay.

It sounds like you need to check into how each Vita game you're interested in handles save games.

post #415 of 1765 Old 02-28-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Crimson View Post

So turned on my Vita, and the first thing I saw was something like this...

Ugh.

Not exactly the Vita's fault, but OLED in general, it seems. A replacement is already on it's way, but I expect I'll still get some of those artifacts on blacks in low light conditions. I guess all display techs have their own shortcomings, though I believe if they'd have gone Super AMOLED, this wouldn't have been an issue as the super AMOLED phones I've seen were PERFECTLY uniform with no issues whatsoever. I would venture a guess by saying that 2nd gen Vitas will probably have those screens.

Other than that, the Vita is pretty awesome, though I've spent most of my time setting it up and getting acquainted with it. I only fired up Uncharted for a few minutes. Graphics are impressive, but still not 1st gen ps3. Still, it's D*** sexy.

Again, guys, find a black background or really dark scenes, and very low light conditions. Let us know what you see. That's not my Vita on the pic above, but mine is a milder version of that, and it's distracting and obvious if you have no lights on.

the Super AMOLED Plus screens on the t-mobile galaxy s2 and ATT GS2 skyrocket suffer from those blobs. but it's really only noticeable with the display brightness turned down very low, on a dark background, and low ambient room light.
post #416 of 1765 Old 02-28-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I'm playing Little Big Planet on my Vita.

HOW?? It won't let me download it from the Playstation Store?

Nobody knows how to set up the 3G?
post #417 of 1765 Old 02-28-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HOW?? It won't let me download it from the Playstation Store?

Nobody knows how to set up the 3G?

Try downloading to your ps3 and copying from your ps3 to your vita.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #418 of 1765 Old 02-28-2012, 03:44 PM

If you have games that you bought for your PSP you can redownload to your PS3 if you have one. You have to go to your account on your PS3 and then look at download history and then download them again. Do not install them. Once they are downloaded your can use content manager to copy them to the Vita. I've done this with Pursuit Force. For Sega Collections, which is not listed as compatible, I went to the PS Store and found it under PSP games. I bought it and downloaded it. ( Did not install!) My Vita then saw it. You cannot find the non-compatible games in the store using the Vita. Neither game is on the compatible list but both run great.
post #419 of 1765 Old 02-28-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Content manager is not something I considered. I tried using the Playstation Store on the Vita first, now trying the PS3. I guess I will install Content Manager real quick on the PC and see what that does.

My download history is massive. All the DLC from Rock Band, SingStar, etc. Wish they'd let you set a filter to only show certain platforms.

Redownloading now. I noticed with the 4.x update on PS3 those games sit out in the main "folder" even after you install them, maybe that's the ticket. It is kind of messy though.

I'll keep trying, thanks!
post #420 of 1765 Old 02-28-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried that, I may be dealing with the same issue with Plus membership as another user. All my Plus apps are saying I have to log in as the user who purchased the content and download again. I'm trying that now.

Content manager is not something I considered. I tried using the Playstation Store on the Vita first, now trying the PS3. I guess I will install Content Manager real quick on the PC and see what that does.

My download history is massive. All the DLC from Rock Band, SingStar, etc. Wish they'd let you set a filter to only show certain platforms.

I'll keep trying, thanks!

You should be able to just find the titles you've already bought/downloaded in their corresponding area of the PSN store and re-download them from there, if that's easier than going through your whole download history.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation Vita Wifi , Playstation Vita The Walking Dead Bundle

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page