Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 1797 Old 10-22-2011, 04:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They're going to introduce yet another memory standard? What happened to memory stick? I have 100+ GB of memory sticks for psps and cameras. They're going to ask Sony users to go flush money down the toilet for another proprietary and overpriced memory non-standard? Not me , thanks. I'm done with that. I'm hoping someone is going to tell me it IS memory stick pro, but I'm not getting that vibe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1797 Old 10-22-2011, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post

They're going to introduce yet another memory standard? What happened to memory stick? I have 100+ GB of memory sticks for psps and cameras. They're going to ask Sony users to go flush money down the toilet for another proprietary and overpriced memory non-standard? Not me , thanks. I'm done with that. I'm hoping someone is going to tell me it IS memory stick pro, but I'm not getting that vibe.

As I said above, Sony's already confirmed that it's a new proprietary format. It looks like it's directly based on their memory stick format, but they're doing their damnedest to avoid the piracy problem that plagued the PSP. Developers ran away from the platform at light-speed once piracy became rampant. Sony's doing everything they can to appease developers and publishers this time around.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #33 of 1797 Old 10-22-2011, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Well, then, the "good news" for you is that most of that stuff (Neo Geo and TG16 titles, and PSOne Classics) won't be compatible with Vita!

The Japanese faq makes it sound like TurboGrafx-16 and PSOne games won't be compatible at launch (Nothing said about NeoGeo), but it also sounds like compatibility could happen later and that it wasn't a permanent thing. The North America Vita faq at Sony's website says that all downloads that are playable on the PSP are compatible, and specifically mentions PSOne games as being compatible (I don't think it specifically mentions TG16 and NeoGeo games).

Not a big deal for me, anyways. I don't have a ton of them (1 TG16 download, 2 NeoGeo, and 15 PSOne downloads) and bought them primarily to play on my PS3, anyways. They're just nice bonuses if they do work on the Vita, for me, at least (Same with arcade games and Minis). It's software created specifically for the PSP (Downloadable retail games) that I'm looking forward to the backward compatibility mode of the Vita the most.

Other than classic compilations and the like that rely on the d-pad, I hated the PSP's nub so much that I almost entirely avoided PSP software that used it. It wasn't until the PSP Go was released when I finally was able to enjoy PSP games that utilize analog control, thanks to being able to hook the Go up to my tv while using a PS3 controller, that I started to go beyond classic compilations and the like on the platform.

Will be nice to finally enjoy PSP games on a handheld with a proper analog stick. I only have about 15 or so PSP downloads (Most of my PSP library are UMD's that rely on the d-pad), but being able to play them on the Vita is important to me and would likely tempt me to buy even more (Such as Gran Turismo PSP),
post #34 of 1797 Old 10-22-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

EDIT: After some research, it turns out Sony announced at TGS that Vita will be using proprietary storage, and here are the prices they announced for Japan:

- 4GB 2,200 yen (£18 )($29)
- 8GB 3,200 yen (£26.40)($42)
- 16GB 5,500 yen (£45.40)($72)
- 32GB 9,500 yen (£78.30)($120)

Confidenceman is correct--I found this article (& there are others out there--I chose this one because it has a picture & talks about how one can tell the difference between regular SD cards and Sony's Vita Cards):

Quote:
Sony PlayStation Vita to use proprietary memory cards

The Sony PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) (PCH-1000 series) will use proprietary memory cards. A user by the name of onQ123 on the Neogaf forums posted a picture showing four sizes of the planned chips: 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB.

While they look very much like a standard SD card, they have an extra notch that clearly distinguishes them. This is very unfortunate because it means you will not be able to use any of the SD cards you already have: you will have to go out and buy a Sony memory card if you want additional storage on your Vita.

This sad news follows the great news from last week, when we learned the PS Vita will be region-free. Region-free simply means that you can purchase a game and system from any two different regions and they will be compatible.

Sony is promising that the PS Vita will give a PS3-level experience with a quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 processor and a multi-core PowerVR SGX543MP4 graphics chip four times faster than the PSP's. The device will come with a 5-inch OLED screen (950 x 544 resolution), two micro-analog sticks to simulate the Dual Shock experience, front and rear facing cameras, and two-finger multitouch pad on the back of the machine. Sony is hoping the front and rear touch screens will offer new three dimension-like motion gameplay experiences never before seen on any device through "touch, grab, trace, push and pull" finger motions. A Sixaxis equivalent with a gyroscope and accelerometer is also available to let players control games by moving and tilting the system itself.

In terms of connectivity you can expect built-in 3G in addition to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, as well as GPS support. The PS Vita will come with a pre-installed app called Party, which lets you use voice chat or text chat when gaming, using other apps, or browsing the Internet. Another app, called Near, will let you share your game information with other users and add them as friends.

The Wi-Fi model will be available for 25,000 yen (including tax) in Japan, $250.00 in the US, and €250.00 in Europe, while the 3G/Wi-Fi model will be available for 30,000 yen (including tax) in Japan, $300.00 in the US and €300.00 in Europe. Exact release dates are still unknown, all Sony has said is that the PS Vita will launch globally at the end of this year.

OtherWorlds - My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
post #35 of 1797 Old 10-24-2011, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

The Japanese faq makes it sound like TurboGrafx-16 and PSOne games won't be compatible at launch (Nothing said about NeoGeo), but it also sounds like compatibility could happen later and that it wasn't a permanent thing. The North America Vita faq at Sony's website says that all downloads that are playable on the PSP are compatible, and specifically mentions PSOne games as being compatible (I don't think it specifically mentions TG16 and NeoGeo games).

Like everything else relating to Vita, I'm taking a "wait and see" approach. Sony's been really vague and wishy washy about stuff like this. The fact that SCEA is saying something different from SCEJ could either mean they secured different licensing agreements for the two regions (possible) or that Sony still has no idea what it's going to do about "backwards compatible" downloads (more likely).

post #36 of 1797 Old 10-26-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

More information on the Vita is dribbling in--slowly, but surely, the complete picture is being revealed. Article is paraphrased by Playstation Lifestyle from Famitsu. As I should have (probably) said with the earlier Playstation Lifestyle article on the Memory Cards, YMMV (This is an American author's translation of a Japanese magazine after all).

Quote:

Famitsu's Vita FAQ Answers Burning Questions
10/26/2011 Written by Cameron Teague

Most of you probably have plenty of questions about the Vita, its functionality, and what peripherals it can use. Thankfully, Japanese magazine Famitsu has a Vita FAQ in its latest issue that answers some big questions many of you might have.

The major tidbit found was about Game Archives, which we can only think means older games. The FAQ says that archive titles cannot be played on the Vita at time of the launch, hinting that this is something that could come later. A few other things from the FAQ include:
  • Sony is looking into a method of allowing PSP owners to carry their save data over to the Vita.
  • Sony will offer a Portable Charger, a battery which offers double the capacity of the system's built in battery.
  • The system's web browser supports Java, HTML5, cookies, and so-forth. It does not support Flash. However, this is just initial functionality.
  • As the Vita does not use Memory Stick or SD Card, if you want to transfer your music and images from PSP to Vita you'll need to go through PC or PS3.
  • The system's brightness level setting is not step-based you can make gradual adjustments.
  • You can put the system into sleep mode by quickly pressing the power button. Outside of sleep mode, you can temporarily suspend the current game by pressing the PS Button, which takes you to the game's Live Arena.
  • You can then use such functionality as PS Store, friend lists, photos and so forth. If you want to boot up another game or the video player, though, you'll need to exit the current game.

On top of the FAQ, Famitsu also posted responses to 50 questions that potential buyers might have about the system and here are the biggest questions and answers.

Required Peripherals
Famitsu says that a Memory Card is pretty much a requirement, as some games will require the card. Games that require a card can't even be booted up if you don't have one.
[emphasis mine--Shadowlock]

External Video Out
The system does not have external video out.

PS3 Connectivity
Memory Card data management and Trophy sharing. You can also view video and music via Remote Play. PS3′s Torne DVR device can also be used once you've updated its firmware.

PSP Software Compatibility
You can up the visual quality through bilinear filtering. This can be toggled on and off.

Use of PSP and PS3 Peripherals
The system cannot use PSP and PS3 peripherals

Internal Software
At shipment time, you can use the following built in apps or functions: Welcome Park (introduces you to the controls), Party (a chatting app that can be used in games), Photo & Camera, Music, Video, Near (a social app for interacting with other Vita systems in your area), Browser, Group Messaging, Friend, Trophy, PS Store, Remote Play, Content Management and Settings.

Parental Controls
For 3G, content will be filtered by default. If you want this feature turned off, you have to fill out some paperwork at the NTT DoCoMo shop.

GPS Without a 3G Contract
You can still use GPS, but 3G can acquire positional information faster.

Current 3G Usage
You can check your current 3G usage through an app called Network Operator.

Wi-Fi VS 3G
The system will first attempt to connect via Wi-Fi. If no Wi-Fi connection is found, it will connect through 3G. While connected through 3G, even if the system later finds a Wi-Fi hotspot, it will not automatically switch.

Hopefully this solves some concerns or questions that many of you might have.

[Via/Via]

post #37 of 1797 Old 10-26-2011, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 207
When it comes to the memory card statement, I don't know of anyone with a PSP that doesn't also have a Memory Stick. Movie clips, music, pictures, games... it was a must-have component.

Who would get a Vita without a mem card anyway? This will be even more important since all Vita games have a dload option. A non-issue.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #38 of 1797 Old 10-26-2011, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

When it comes to the memory card statement, I don't know of anyone with a PSP that doesn't also have a Memory Stick. Movie clips, music, pictures, games... it was a must-have component.

Who would get a Vita without a mem card anyway? This will be even more important since all Vita games have a dload option. A non-issue.

I don't think the concern was about having to get another piece of plastic. It was a concern about price because of overpriced proprietary memory cards. A $250 device has suddenly jumped to the $300 mark. In comparison, getting a memory stick for PSP was cheap and easy. It's not a deal breaker, but it doesn't help.

post #39 of 1797 Old 10-26-2011, 09:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The price of a Vita memcard hasn't been announced in the U.S. yet. Saying it's $50 minimum is premature and most likely incorrect. The smallest card that's been priced in Japan costs 2,200 yen, which is $29 in a straight currency trade (the yen is very strong right now as well, or it would cost less). We don't know what it will cost here, but it looks like it will be a lot lower than $50.

With that said, once again this is nothing new. Memory sticks cost an arm and a leg when the PSP came out - about $40 for 256MB Sony Memory Sticks, $150+ for 1GB. It was a necessary expense then, and it is a (likely cheaper) necessary expense now.

post #40 of 1797 Old 10-27-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Like I said, it's a "wait and see" device. Lots of unanswered questions.

post #41 of 1797 Old 10-27-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/Sciencete...5-million.html

Sony has bought out Ericsson. I think we will probably be seeing a "real" PlayStation (Vita) phone as soon as the tech allows it (Vita is way too power hungry at this early stage of the game).
post #42 of 1797 Old 10-27-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/Sciencete...5-million.html

Sony has bought out Ericsson. I think we will probably be seeing a "real" PlayStation (Vita) phone as soon as the tech allows it (Vita is way too power hungry at this early stage of the game).

My typical doom-and-gloom response: Sony runs the risk of spreading themselves too thin in the gaming space. Doesn't seem like the ideal thing to do just before releasing the Vita.

post #43 of 1797 Old 10-27-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 557
New Vita First Edition bundle announced:

-includes WiFi+3G model
-carrying case
-4gig memory card
-Little Deviants game
-releases one week earlier

*sigh* They got me.
post #44 of 1797 Old 10-27-2011, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

New Vita First Edition bundle announced:

-includes WiFi+3G model
-carrying case
-4gig memory card
-Little Deviants game
-releases one week earlier

*sigh* They got me.

Yup--they got me too . I cancelled my Amazon Wi-fi only model and ordered the bundle. It is more expensive, but is the best value. It is supposed to be sold for a "limited time," (according to Playstation Lifestyle), but no word on when this bundle offer goes away.

post #45 of 1797 Old 10-27-2011, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I really wanted this thing to have HDMI output and then recently hearing it doesn't have flash is giving me more torture. 1080p video capture like the iPhone 4S would have been even better. Still, I personally still consider it a wonderful value when I look at the price tag and the specs that goes with it such as the 5" OLED screen.

Now once production costs gets lower, who's to say their wont be HDMI output and 1080p video capture for a future VITA "2000" model. The original PSP didn't not have video output so who knows. As for flash, it should be easy to offer it in a firmware update for the current model.

You do see 2 different marketing approaches between Nintendo and Sony. Nintendo didn't care at all that some of their top games will be delayed since their big goal was to release the 3DS as quickly as possible while for Sony, it seams like they're waiting until their are enough launch titles. It does also seam like the stock of the unit might not be so good since it's not being released in the US before Christmas as people were originally hoping when Sony announced the NGP. I'm almost thinking about importing it along with Uncharted so I can have it this year. I'm becoming very impatient waiting for it.

It would not surprise me if Sony is loosing money off each unit initially but I do hope they decide to stop selling the PSP by possibly March of next year. Sony kept the PS2 going for a while which they had no choice because of all the money they were loosing off each PS3 sold but I don't think it'll be a bright idea doing that this time. I enjoyed the PSP when I first got it years ago although I did give it away in the beginning of 2008 but for sure Sony should let it die soon.

It shouldn't be surprising at all to Sony releasing proprietary media because it's very true that a lot of game developers got very ticked off that people were downloading their games for free. In order to have the best support from third party developers, I really don't think Sony has a choice but to make it as hard as they can to stop piracy. Still, hopefully it wont sell for so much in the US even though Sony will want to make back some money in case they really are loosing cash per unit. I'm sure Sony is most liking thinking about the prices and nothing is final yet.
post #46 of 1797 Old 10-28-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlock View Post

Yup--they got me too . I cancelled my Amazon Wi-fi only model and ordered the bundle. It is more expensive, but is the best value. It is supposed to be sold for a "limited time," (according to Playstation Lifestyle), but no word on when this bundle offer goes away.

In Canada, we get the Wi-fi only model in the bundle for $299. Unfortunately, I want the 3G version. The main draw for me is the LE case as I will probably be needing the 32GB memory card anyways.
post #47 of 1797 Old 10-28-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In Canada, we get the Wi-fi only model in the bundle for $299. Unfortunately, I want the 3G version. Decisions, decisions...

Heh... I would rather have the WiFi only bundle and save $50. This thing's rarely going to leave my home, and I don't do multi-player. Plus, I'm not keen on signing up for AT&T 3G service. I don't even have a smartphone.

Just out of curiosity, why the preference for the 3G model?
post #48 of 1797 Old 10-28-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Heh... I would rather have the WiFi only bundle and save $50. This thing's rarely going to leave my home, and I don't do multi-player. Plus, I'm not keen on signing up for AT&T 3G service. I don't even have a smartphone.

Just out of curiosity, why the preference for the 3G model?

I just want it for web surfing. I think the 5" oled will be preferable to my phone. Of course, I won't always have my Vita with me -- but when I do, I want the option.

Also, in Japan, there is no contract required -- it's through prepaid cards. I'm hoping it's the same here. If it's not, I will be going with the Wi-fi only bundle for sure. Sony will probably be going with Rogers Wireless in Canada and they're not nearly hated as much AT&T in the US.
post #49 of 1797 Old 10-31-2011, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I'm disappointed this doesn't have flash. I hope modern flash capabilities are patched in eventually since being able to lay back with this and browse YouTube was something I was looking forward to after being frusturated with how useless the PSP's browser was.

I'd of figured, unless you're named Apple, that full flash support was mandatory for a browser on a decent piece of hardware in 2011. Puzzled why that isn't the case here.

Quote:

I don't think the concern was about having to get another piece of plastic. It was a concern about price because of overpriced proprietary memory cards. A $250 device has suddenly jumped to the $300 mark. In comparison, getting a memory stick for PSP was cheap and easy. It's not a deal breaker, but it doesn't help.

PSP memory was expensive as well. Look up prices for a 16 gig card. They're still far more than they should've ever been, years after launch and even for used hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

I really wanted this thing to have HDMI output...

I wanted tv output and the ability to connect a PS3 controller via BlueTooth as well. My interest in handhelds is the games themselves, not the portable nature of them. So being able to still enjoy handheld games on my tv with a proper controller has been a major draw since the Super Game Boy accessory was released for the Super Nintendo almost two decades ago. Especially this time around since it would be an opportunity to finally bring proper tv out capabilities to PSP games compared to the lacking nature of tv output on the PSP itself.

But I think their decision to leave it out has more to do with the touch screens than price. I think they felt like including the capability when it wouldn't be appropriate for all their games was an unnecessary luxury.

I suspect the answer on if we'll ever get it in a revision will come when we see if developers largely ignore the touch screens on the Vita, or embrace them. If they're put to good use by many developers, I think that will keep it from ever being added in a revision (Much like how tv support would've been pointless on the DS when it would've only been useful for a portion of the library that just used the d-pad controls and top screen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

I do hope they decide to stop selling the PSP by possibly March of next year. Sony kept the PS2 going for a while which they had no choice because of all the money they were loosing off each PS3 sold but I don't think it'll be a bright idea doing that this time. I enjoyed the PSP when I first got it years ago although I did give it away in the beginning of 2008 but for sure Sony should let it die soon.

They kept (Actually, keep, since it's still in production and with plenty of reprintings of older software and the occasional new release) the PS2 because it sold well and was a budget platform for gamers that couldn't afford their expensive new hardware and $60 games. And they're clearly planning to keep the PSP around as their budget handheld. They've even recently created a cheaper hardware revision of it for just that purpose to help them drive prices down even further to capture budget sales..

When the previous platform is discontinued seems largely immaterial to me on the success of a successor. The person that is going to be buying a $100 PSP1000-E next year wasn't likely to be a customer for your new $300 handheld. Discontinuing the PSP when it's making money just because a successor is out just doesn't make any sense.

They're not in competition.
post #50 of 1797 Old 11-12-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

http://blogs.bettor.com/UMD-Passport...is-how-a110864

Sony has found a way to get digital copies of PSP UMD games onto the Vita, but it won't be free.
post #51 of 1797 Old 11-12-2011, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://blogs.bettor.com/UMD-Passport...is-how-a110864

Sony has found a way to get digital copies of PSP UMD games onto the Vita, but it won't be free.

Only confirmed for Japan and only for certain games. Publishers will likely use Japan as the test case for whether or not they'll bother doing this in other regions. Better than nothing, but not great.

post #52 of 1797 Old 11-13-2011, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

From the "of course" department: Vita will have a content management app to transfer items (games, music, pics) to and from PS3 and PC.

I hope it works through WiFi - no cable necessary.
post #53 of 1797 Old 11-27-2011, 11:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The mem card prices have been revealed:
Quote:

GameStop has put a price tag on the Vita’s proprietary memory cards, starting at $29.99 for 4GB. An 8GB card is $44.99, the 16GB option goes for $69.99, and the largest, 32GB, is a hefty $119.99.

post #54 of 1797 Old 11-28-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

The mem card prices have been revealed:

Before the inevitable comparisons to low-cost budget SD cards, it might be better to compare to high performance SD XC cards.

Yes, they still on the pricey side... but it could be worse!
post #55 of 1797 Old 11-28-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a pretty good vid on some of the non-gaming bits of the PSV.

I'm hoping that those prices are just placeholders. Usually, things are cheaper here than in Japan and those look like straight conversions of the Japan prices.
post #56 of 1797 Old 11-28-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm hoping that those prices are just placeholders. Usually, things are cheaper here than in Japan and those look like straight conversions of the Japan prices.

With the continued strength of the yen against the dollar, I wouldn't be surprised if those prices were accurate. Sony and (even more especially) Nintendo have been losing money hand over fist because of a bad dollar-to-yen ratio that has been happening mid-generation. These proprietary memory cards are probably a big part of Sony's attempt to make the Vita profitable despite taking a hit on the cost of the device itself--especially in the West because, as you say, things tend to be priced cheaper here. Production and distribution costs are all in yen, they sell over here in dollars, and then turn back into yen. That's not good.

post #57 of 1797 Old 11-29-2011, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

Before the inevitable comparisons to low-cost budget SD cards, it might be better to compare to high performance SD XC cards.

Baloney. How about we compare them to popular memory card formats and prices.

I just ordered a 32GB memory card, smaller than my fingernail, that cost less than their 4GB card.

But besides the price issue is the overall compatibility issue. I've got a bunch of memory cards in the popular formats. They get used and re-used in a bunch of different gadgets around the house. I have one 4GB Sony memory card in the PSP that I paid a relatively hefty amount for, it just sits in the unused PSP tucked in the drawer.

-Suntan
post #58 of 1797 Old 11-29-2011, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

I just ordered a 32GB memory card, smaller than my fingernail, that cost less than their 4GB card.

The point wasn't about cost and availability, it was about performance. Comparisons should be made between products of equal reliability, speed and bandwidth specs.
post #59 of 1797 Old 11-29-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

The point wasn't about cost and availability, it was about performance. Comparisons should be made between products of equal reliability, speed and bandwidth specs.

No the point is about giving the customer the option to buy a memory card. Period.

If you want an obscenely over spec-ed 22MB/s transfer rate and overly large size that the SDXC card posted offers, you can go ahead and pay $400 and get short load times. If I just want a card that will load games, play full quality videos *and* work with all my other gadgets; I can pay substantially less.

Also, I like how you say it should be about comparing similar specs, yet show pricing for a card that is a rather new and unique specification (SDXC) and a size that is twice as big as anything available for the Vita. Not to mention that this one has the same or better specs than the one you posted and comes in less than a 4th the price of your comparison, as well as coming in cheaper than the largest Vita card... which is half the size.

Stop being an apologist. You can like Sony products and still disagree with choices they make. You don’t have to cheer for every bad choice they make out of fear that you might get your Sony-fanboy card taken away.

-Suntan
post #60 of 1797 Old 11-29-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

No the point is about giving the customer the option to buy a memory card. Period.

If you want an obscenely over spec-ed 22MB/s transfer rate and overly large size that the SDXC card posted offers, you can go ahead and pay $400 and get short load times. If I just want a card that will load games, play full quality videos *and* work with all my other gadgets; I can pay substantially less.

Also, I like how you say it should be about comparing similar specs, yet show pricing for a card that is a rather new and unique specification (SDXC) and a size that is twice as big as anything available for the Vita. Not to mention that this one has the same or better specs than the one you posted and comes in less than a 4th the price of your comparison, as well as coming in cheaper than the largest Vita card... which is half the size.

Stop being an apologist. You can like Sony products and still disagree with choices they make. You don’t have to cheer for every bad choice they make out of fear that you might get your Sony-fanboy card taken away.

-Suntan

First - I think we can discuss things civilly, without resorting to name calling and/or put-downs. I don't think there's anything in this thread that shows I have a blind Sony bias, or the Nintendo and Xbox threads that I also post in. For the record, I hated everything to do with UMDs.

Second - my comment about the memory card with the Amazon link was a gross exaggeration intended to be humorous - sort of a "look at what Sony COULD have done" followed by a . I guess it wasn't a very funny.

Third - I agree it would have been preferable to customers to have a universal memory option to keep costs down on the consumer side. But from the company perspective: by keeping the memory system propitiatory, Sony avoids customers using sub-par memory which might suffer in performance, or worse - loss of data. Both cases would have been a support nightmare for the Vita, and could tarnish a possibly high-quality product.

I'm sure there are many people who would (will) argue this, or claim Sony is just trying to skim as much money off people as possible. I would have preferred Sony did what Microsoft does with USB drives in the Xbox - analyze them before formatting and if the memory is up to spec, continue with the format, or if not give a message saying so. They could have had Sony-branded SD (or whatever) cards that are up-to-spec for use in the Vita.

Different approaches, and yes, it is probably about the $$$. But I feel it's not that big of a deal that people are making it into. Those that feel differently can skip the Vita. If it doesn't sell well and Sony decides the proprietary memory is the reason, then Sony can fix it with Vita2.

And the Internet will have won.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation Vita Wifi , Playstation Vita The Walking Dead Bundle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page