1Likes

post #601 of 1797 Old 04-23-2012, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Sure you can share it, you are required to have two cards though.

I actually just did it last night to loan mine to a friend today; that's how I knew the link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1797 Old 04-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Sure you can share it, you are required to have two cards though.

And go through a ridiculously cumbersome factory reset and device activation EVERY TIME you want to switch.

Also, if you play a family member's game via their profile on their card, you don't get trophies, high scores, etc., and the chances of a card format are very high when a stupid younger brother accidentally hits YES instead of NO when switching out to his card.

All could have been avoided if Sony had let at most two profiles per PSV onto each device.
post #603 of 1797 Old 04-23-2012, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

And go through a ridiculously cumbersome factory reset and device activation EVERY TIME you want to switch.

Also, if you play a family member's game via their profile on their card, you don't get trophies, high scores, etc., and the chances of a card format are very high when a stupid younger brother accidentally hits YES instead of NO when switching out to his card.

All could have been avoided if Sony had let at most two profiles per PSV onto each device.

Yeah, it does really suck. They can't expect families to buy Vita's for each kid in the house, not at $249 or even $199 or even $149. You don't start buying the same handheld for each kid in your house unless they get down to the $99 range. At least, that's the stance that I've taken with my boys. They've had all the major portables (except Vita, DSi XL and PSP GO), but I'd only buy one of them, until the price would drop pretty far. They both have DS Lites, and they both have PSP's, because they are so cheap to buy now. One of them has a 3DS, the other has a 4th Gen Ipod Touch. I have the Vita.

Once things are cheap enough, we can all have the same handheld and be able to play each other locally, but it's just too much coin to be buying each of them a state of the art handheld, with that state of the art price.
post #604 of 1797 Old 04-24-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 127
From CNN:

Quote:

Skype app for PS Vita announced

By Larry Frum, Special to CNN

updated 10:28 AM EDT, Tue April 24, 2012 | Filed under: Gaming and Gadgets

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Skype will be available through the PlayStation store Tuesday in North America

The Skype app will use the Vita's front and rear cameras for video calling
PS Vita already has voice chat and text chat through its built-in Party application

(CNN) -- The PlayStation Vita is extending its reach into video and voice calling with the release of a Skype app for the mobile gaming device.

The free app is expected to be available through the PlayStation store Tuesday in North America and Wednesday in Europe and Asia. It will work for both the Vita's 3G and Wi-Fi only models. The Skype app will use the Vita's front and rear cameras for video calling.

The app will also run in "background mode," so users can pause a game, and then take a call. There is no functionality at this time to continue playing a game while taking a call.

Since it runs in "background mode," Skype will also alert users to calls when the Vita is in sleep mode. No word yet on how it will affect the device's five to six hours of battery time.

On the Skype blog, legendary gamer Fatal1ty (Johnathan Wendel) shows off the features of the new app.

The PS Vita already has voice chat and text chat through its built-in Party application. However, developer Shuhei Yoshida, president of SCE Worldwide Studios, told CNN in February that there were restrictions to that voice chat by broadband providers (only one person can be on a 3G connection).

"The Vita isn't a phone," he said.

It appears that the Skype app may be trying to change that. Do gamers really want to be bothered during a "Unit 13" gun battle by a call from a friend? Or is this a partial admission by Sony that a dedicated games-only device may not be what users want?

OtherWorlds - My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
post #605 of 1797 Old 04-24-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Even the PSP a better part of a decade ago wasn't a dedicated gaming handheld and could do several other things like play videos on UMD disc and browse the internet.

So I'm not sure what they think it's an admission of if it can do something else besides playing videogames. It's had several such capabilities since day 1.
post #606 of 1797 Old 04-24-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Even the PSP a better part of a decade ago wasn't a dedicated gaming handheld and could do several other things like play videos on UMD disc and browse the internet.

So I'm not sure what they think it's an admission of if it can do something else besides playing videogames. It's had several such capabilities since day 1.

Exactly. Didn't the PSP have Skype as well? I had one( barely used it) but seem to remember that program being there. The PSP from the get-go was designed to be 'primarily' a game console with multimedia capabilities. A jack of all trades, so to speak....

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #607 of 1797 Old 04-24-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41

Looks good.
post #608 of 1797 Old 04-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^^^ that was funny

Hey Eduardo, look how awesome my place is...

Eduardo must be thinking you called me to brag about how awesome your life is because you play video games while I'm stuck at work - F-U

App looks cool, hope it doesn't kill the battery if its running in background
post #609 of 1797 Old 04-26-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Am I the only one who thinks Sony should have staggered their launch games out a little more? I mean, you had( compared to other system launches) a pretty damn good lineup out of the gate, but there's been pretty much nothing since( MLB the show came out last month, but otherwise.....). They may have been wise to release a couple of games( say Wipeout, Mod Racers, Hot Shots or one or two more third party games) in March and/or April instead of February?

post #610 of 1797 Old 04-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I think Sony has proven they have no clue how to market their devices. They need a blockbuster title (not just a sony exclusive like uncharted, but a game that has done well on all systems) to come to Vita to sell the system, so far I don't see one.
post #611 of 1797 Old 04-26-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post

I think Sony has proven they have no clue how to market their devices. They need a blockbuster title (not just a sony exclusive like uncharted, but a game that has done well on all systems) to come to Vita to sell the system, so far I don't see one.

Software-wise, Sony's strength is in developing new IP. But the new stuff for Vita (so far) isn't much of a system seller.

As for whether to stagger releases, I'm sure it was a tough call. Nintendo got blasted for having no strong titles for the launch of the 3DS. Sony responded. Yes, they could have staggered their releases, but then they'd run the risk of having a slower, less dramatic launch.

From their perspective, they've already won over the early adopters, so there's no need to justify their purchase with more releases right away. And anyone continuing to buy a Vita is still buying one within that "early adopter" window. There's plenty out there for most Vita owners, so there's no rush to fill the gap just yet. I'm sure E3 will be filled with tons of Vita release news. If it isn't, well, then, that's the time to worry.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #612 of 1797 Old 04-26-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

As for whether to stagger releases, I'm sure it was a tough call. Nintendo got blasted for having no strong titles for the launch of the 3DS. Sony responded. Yes, they could have staggered their releases, but then they'd run the risk of having a slower, less dramatic launch.

Mainly I'm thinking they could have pushed back a few titles, to avoid the perception that 'nothing's coming out for Vita'.

For example, they could have pushed something like Blazblue and Modracers into March, or held back Rayman Origins till April, just to fill in the gap till Resistance, Mortal Kombat, and Gravity Rush arrive. I don't think pushing those aforementioned titles back a month or two would have made the launch any less dramatic. By all accounts, there were lots of games at launch( albeit ports and spinoffs, as you'd expect with new consoles), so I'm thinking they could have maybe pushed 2-3 of those titles back and still had a 'strong' launch.

post #613 of 1797 Old 04-26-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Mainly I'm thinking they could have pushed back a few titles, to avoid the perception that 'nothing's coming out for Vita'.

For example, they could have pushed something like Blazblue and Modracers into March, or held back Rayman Origins till April, just to fill in the gap till Resistance, Mortal Kombat, and Gravity Rush arrive. I don't think pushing those aforementioned titles back a month or two would have made the launch any less dramatic. By all accounts, there were lots of games at launch( albeit ports and spinoffs, as you'd expect with new consoles), so I'm thinking they could have maybe pushed 2-3 of those titles back and still had a 'strong' launch.

Your assuming a lot based on little information. Development cost, shareholders and other releases from competitors all factor in decisions to why things are the way they are. This whole perception that nothing is being released is not a factor when it has only been two months the system has been on the market with how many games have been released. New games should be announced for E3 in June.

The 5.0 is here
post #614 of 1797 Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Your assuming a lot based on little information. Development cost, shareholders and other releases from competitors all factor in decisions to why things are the way they are. This whole perception that nothing is being released is not a factor when it has only been two months the system has been on the market with how many games have been released. New games should be announced for E3 in June.

I don't claim to be well-informed on the hows and whys regarding the game releases. I'm mainly speaking to some of the doom and gloom threads I see on various gaming boards.

Now, of course, I take them with a grain of salt but the perception is there nevertheless, and that perception may be potentially impacting sales? There was a wave of games at launch, followed by a couple of games since( MLB 12, anything else?) and alot of 'wait till June' comments, like you said above. There just doesn't seem to be alot of buzz right now for the system, aside from weekly reports out of Japan that it's being outsold by its predecessor, combining that with features that have yet to be implemented ( PS1 title playback, PSP titles without the need for a PS3, etc etc). Premature backlash, perhaps, but it's there.

I'm just curious when Sony plans to really market this thing.

post #615 of 1797 Old 04-26-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your assuming a lot based on little information. Development cost, shareholders and other releases from competitors all factor in decisions to why things are the way they are.

Exactly. I think there were two big reasons:

1) Sony had to make sure their launch was as strong as possible.

2) The fiscal year ended in March, so Sony (and every other publisher/manufacturer) has traditionally let the following few months lie fallow. Giving their yearly sales figures a boost is much, much more important than satisfying those few people who need more games for a system they already bought (and for which they presumably already bought a good handful of games). Those gamers are their most loyal customers and are the last people they need to worry about pleasing at the moment.

Their next big step is figuring out how to get PS3 owners on board. They've gotten really close. Hopefully they don't wait for the Wii U to force their hand (since Nintendo is also touting connectivity between the Wii U and 3DS).

post #616 of 1797 Old 04-26-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Exactly. I think there were two big reasons:

Their next big step is figuring out how to get PS3 owners on board.

As we've discussed and agreed upon before, PS3 remote play would be a no-brainer feature.

post #617 of 1797 Old 04-26-2012, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

As we've discussed and agreed upon before, PS3 remote play would be a no-brainer feature.

Unfortunately they promised this on the PSP and it NEVER came to pass (I could only do it within my own network). I would love to have my Vita connect to my PS3 (which I have not played a game on since Uncharted 3). You would think Remote Play would be a No-Brainer but this is Sony we are talking about.

Once Nintendo incorporates the 3DS (which I also have) with the Wii U (which I will be getting) from day 1, Sony will look foolish if they don't have a proper up and running Remote Play.

Those Who Attempt To Destroy Me, Shall Be Obliterated!!

Megatron
post #618 of 1797 Old 04-26-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No doubt. And we have said it many times. But now, Nintendo is coming out guns blazing by hyping its own connectivity initiative. Sony stands to lose big time if they don't get on this soon, and in a big way, and with some justification for the wait.

post #619 of 1797 Old 04-26-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I think the reason why companies choose to release all their games at launch is very simple, and the same reason why companies release a lot of their top games in the last 3 months of the year. It's when the most eyeballs are looking at it. A game like Rayman Origins or MvC3 gets tons of press just by being a launch title - press it won't get if it releases a month later. Think of all the press releases, all the "launch day roundup" stuff, all the people thinking of buying a system.

And the fact is, at launch week, you have hundreds of thousands of people going to the store to buy it, and opportunities like that just do not come around very often. Maybe Black Friday and a few Saturdays before Thanksgiving. Are you going to give that up to release the game a month later?
post #620 of 1797 Old 04-26-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Isn't that what they technically did? Waited two months into the month of February to release a new system in the biggest market instead of releasing during the holidays. They had the games for it during the Japan launch. They should have had it ready for a worldwide launch or Japan/US and take advantage of sales here. To me it would have actually made more since to have launched in the US first because PSP is basically dead here vs Japan because the PSP still sales pretty good which I think is the cause of the issues with the Vita sales in that country.

The 5.0 is here
post #621 of 1797 Old 04-26-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

I think the reason why companies choose to release all their games at launch is very simple, and the same reason why companies release a lot of their top games in the last 3 months of the year. It's when the most eyeballs are looking at it. A game like Rayman Origins or MvC3 gets tons of press just by being a launch title - press it won't get if it releases a month later. Think of all the press releases, all the "launch day roundup" stuff, all the people thinking of buying a system.

And the fact is, at launch week, you have hundreds of thousands of people going to the store to buy it, and opportunities like that just do not come around very often. Maybe Black Friday and a few Saturdays before Thanksgiving. Are you going to give that up to release the game a month later?

I hear what you're saying....on the other hand alot of the early adopter crowd have probably bought, played and gotten bored of the launch titles( fickle, gamers are ). We're still in the period where early adoptors are in ' I gotta buy whatever's out!!!!!' mode. They're itching for a new game. This demographic is more likely to buy titles at/near launch that they otherwise wouldn't. A game like Mortal Kombat is likely to get more attention now than it would if it came out right at launch( when I say attention, I mean aside from the franchise's built-in fanbase), seeing as it's the only major release until we get to Resistance and Gravity Rush end of May/June timeframe.

post #622 of 1797 Old 05-01-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mortal Kombat Vita out today......

As an aside, I wish they'd make the PSN MK arcade collection playable on Vita. Would love to have those games on the go.....

post #623 of 1797 Old 05-01-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Isn't that what they technically did? Waited two months into the month of February to release a new system in the biggest market instead of releasing during the holidays. They had the games for it during the Japan launch. They should have had it ready for a worldwide launch or Japan/US and take advantage of sales here. To me it would have actually made more since to have launched in the US first because PSP is basically dead here vs Japan because the PSP still sales pretty good which I think is the cause of the issues with the Vita sales in that country.

Not really. The bigger reason for poor sales in Japan is that there aren't any runaway system sellers like there were for PSP (and like there are for 3DS). In Japan, the PSP is basically just the "Monster Hunter Machine." A good handful of well timed RPGs also helped boost PSP sales there.

And the reason Sony only launched Vita in Japan last year is because it isn't that easy (or cheap) to produce that many units, distribute them around the world, and keep supply running through the holidays. Yes, it would have been great if they could have done it. But it's just not that easy to do.

Also, I think Sony was hoping Japan would eat it up and that early sales numbers would help the marketing around the world. But that backfired. They really should have released it in the US first. The launch line-up is also very Western focused--which may also help explain the weak sales in Japan.

Quote:

I hear what you're saying....on the other hand alot of the early adopter crowd have probably bought, played and gotten bored of the launch titles( fickle, gamers are ). We're still in the period where early adoptors are in ' I gotta buy whatever's out!!!!!' mode. They're itching for a new game. This demographic is more likely to buy titles at/near launch that they otherwise wouldn't.

Unfortunately, you're not the crowd that Sony is worried about at the moment. They've already got you. It's everyone else they're after now.

post #624 of 1797 Old 05-01-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

PSN updates for Vita 5/1:

PS Vita Games

Mortal Kombat ($39.99)
Take the Kombat to the streets; fight anywhere, anytime, all in the palm of your hand.
ESRB rated M
File size 3 GB

PS Vita Demos (Free)

Sumioni: Demon Arts
Take control of Agura, a Sumioni, or “Inkdemon”, who’s been called upon to white out a blot of evil upon feudal Japan. Guide him through 2D side-scrolling levels and unleash his powers by drawing brush strokes on the touchscreen. Create paths to traverse, cast magic spells and even summon powerful creatures to do your bidding! In this demo, play 3 of the 30 available stages, with access to one of the two summon creatures.
ESRB rated E10+
File size 288 MB

PS Vita Add-Ons

MotorStorm RC Add Ons (x6) (free – $0.49)
Various add on content.
File size 100 KB

Shinobido 2: Revenge Of Zen The Mirror Spirits ($4.99)
Face off against an army of gruesome, otherworldly creatures who wreak havok throughout Utakata, and learn their secret connection to the Tenma Mirrors. NOTE: You must download the latest patch, and complete the game once in order to unlock the downloadable content.
File size 100 KB

Updates
101-In-1 Megamix+Fading Shadows Bundle (Price Change) (PSP) (now $10.99, original price $13.99)
Daxter (Price Change) (PSP) (now $9.99, original price $15.99)
God of War: Ghost of Sparta Full Game (Price Change) (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $29.99)

post #625 of 1797 Old 05-01-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PSN updates for Vita 5/1:

Daxter (Price Change) (PSP) (now $9.99, original price $15.99)

Should be $7.49 or $6.99, but beggars can't be choosers I guess... I heard that PSN also supposedly has a bundle with Secret Agent Clank and Daxter for $14.99. Probably worth it to pay 5 extra bucks to get Clank too ?
post #626 of 1797 Old 05-02-2012, 03:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Should be $7.49 or $6.99, but beggars can't be choosers I guess... I heard that PSN also supposedly has a bundle with Secret Agent Clank and Daxter for $14.99. Probably worth it to pay 5 extra bucks to get Clank too ?

Funny you mention this, my mind flashed on our conversation a few weeks back regarding the pricing of this game. I agree, at this stage even $9.99 is pushing it, but hopefully this is a sign that more price drops are on the horizon.

post #627 of 1797 Old 05-02-2012, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41

One of my most anticipated games has finally been announced for a fall release in NA. For my tastes , things are actually looking pretty decent now. Resistance/Gravity Rush/LBP about a month from now, DJ Max Tecknika Tune in the summer and SFxTekken/P4 in the fall. And hopefully E3 will add some more good news.
post #628 of 1797 Old 05-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Sony couldn't afford to spread out the launch titles. They are losing money on every Vita sold and they need to recoup that money via software and accessory sales (vis a vis the ludicrous memory card prices) ASAP.

That's what happens when corporate hasn't made a profit in four years and declared a $6.4B loss for the last FY.
post #629 of 1797 Old 05-02-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

Sony couldn't afford to spread out the launch titles. They are losing money on every Vita sold and they need to recoup that money via software and accessory sales (vis a vis the ludicrous memory card prices) ASAP.

That's what happens when corporate hasn't made a profit in four years and declared a $6.4B loss for the last FY.

Not quite right. The Vita has been sold at a profit from day one. Reports indicate it costs something like $150 to manufacture (though that doesn't account for marketing or distribution). And Sony's fiscal losses aren't from the gaming/software division. It's from Sony's failing consumer electronics products. The gaming division is one of the few bright spots in an otherwise abysmal year for the company.

post #630 of 1797 Old 05-02-2012, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Sony better not be selling the Vita at a loss, because if so, that loss is going to get much worse when they announce the price drop at e3. I fully expect a $50 drop to both versions, and I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see a 4 gig memory card, and maybe a cheap downloadable game to be bundled in the deal as well.

Sony can't afford for the Vita not to gain some traction heading into the back half of the year. Resistance will be a brand new game that's available, they have Mortal Kombat as a new release, and Gravity Rush will be out very soon as well. Little Big Planet is just around the corner. They can turn this ship around, but they have to know that they can no longer BS the customer with the nickel and diming. They need to include a mem card, and the price must drop a full 50 bucks.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation Vita Wifi , Playstation Vita The Walking Dead Bundle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page