post #661 of 1764 Old 05-10-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

I don't get why sony didn't release the vita as a phone. Micro tablet phones are all the rage right now, Vita OS is faster and more reliable than both Android and iOS. Subsidize it as a phone and sell it for 99bux with 2 year contract and sell millions.

Sony already tried the gaming phone thing. It was a flop. IMO the Vita is already overreaching in terms of where it fits into the mobile ecosystem. It should be a gaming device first, then all the other things. And as a mobile media device, it just can't compete with everything else out there. The PSP was a different beast since it was one of the first devices into the mobile media space--ahead of most phones even--but that's no longer the case. Phones and tablets own that part of the market. Instead, Vita needs to stick to its strengths and stake its claim to gaming.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 1764 Old 05-10-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
yeh that psp phone was junk, it played ps1 games. Even iphones had better graphics.
post #663 of 1764 Old 05-10-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Amazon has a $10 Bonus on the Metal Gear Solid HD collection for Vita, coming next month.

I never got far in Snake Eater - here's my chance.

btw, the Vita version has touch controls, and can continue game saves/trophies from and to the PS3 version. BUT it doesn't include Peace Walker.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #664 of 1764 Old 05-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Amazon has a $10 Bonus on the Metal Gear Solid HD collection for Vita, coming next month.

I never got far in Snake Eater - here's my chance.

btw, the Vita version has touch controls, and can continue game saves/trophies from and to the PS3 version. BUT it doesn't include Peace Walker.

theres a gameplay video of the vita version, youtube it.

snake eater was by far my favorite... I'm tempted to get this with the $10 credit offer, but I can see myself buying it and never playing it too
post #665 of 1764 Old 05-10-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
at least give a free voucher for a psp version of snake eater. I can't see my self buying this game when i can buy the complete version on ps3 for less.
post #666 of 1764 Old 05-10-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
So there is an HD version of MGS1 for PS3?

bg
post #667 of 1764 Old 05-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post

So there is an HD version of MGS1 for PS3?

Nope. They've said it'd be too difficult to upgrade the PS1 graphics and gameplay, which makes sense to me.
post #668 of 1764 Old 05-10-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41

Here's the trailer for Soul Sacrifice.

The entire presentation with English translation.

Here's the latest Resistance trailer.
post #669 of 1764 Old 05-10-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

Nope. They've said it'd be too difficult to upgrade the PS1 graphics and gameplay, which makes sense to me.

So what are they putting on the Vita for MGS1? The Vita collection is MGS1-3 in HD. I understand why Peace Walker isn't included; you can already play the PSP version, or play the PS3 version for HD.

bg
post #670 of 1764 Old 05-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The Vita collection is only MGS2 and MGS3, according to the Amazon entry linked to in DaverJ's post above.
post #671 of 1764 Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Vita collection is only MGS2 and MGS3, according to the Amazon entry linked to in DaverJ's post above.

Correct - the MGS HD Collection on PS3 and Xbox 360 is Sons of Liberty, Snake Eater, and Peace Walker. The Vita version omits Peace Walker.

post #672 of 1764 Old 05-11-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

So this info from another site is bogus, or am I mis-reading it?

"Currently pencilled in for a late June release, MGS HD Collection Vita will contain; Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. The collection will also debut Sony's new transferring system that will allow data to be shared between your PS3 and Vita."

I guess I thought Metal Gear 1 was MGS 1 for Playstation. Metal Gear 1 and 2 are prolly older, 8-bit era titles? I see now how some are disappointed.

bg
post #673 of 1764 Old 05-11-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post

I guess I thought Metal Gear 1 was MGS 1 for Playstation. Metal Gear 1 and 2 are prolly older, 8-bit era titles? (

Yep. Behold:

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #674 of 1764 Old 05-11-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Were these 2 player capable? If so, I hope they add online co-op! Lol...jk.

bg
post #675 of 1764 Old 05-14-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Only reason I'm going to pick up the PS3 version someday is for those two ports of the original Metal Gears on the MSX. Enjoy the NES port of the original and the NES specific sequel (Which isn't a port of Metal Gear 2) and apparantly these versions are significantly better. .

Quote:

Not really, there was already a last gen upgrade to MGS on the GameCube that could've been used for a basis here.
post #676 of 1764 Old 05-15-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Twin Snakes was not done by Konami/Kojima/etc. And it has different cinemas directed by a Japanese director.

And it was terrible besides. Putting MGS2 shooting and moving mechanics into MGS1 breaks the game.
post #677 of 1764 Old 05-15-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Seemed pretty well recieved at the time. Even seen a few AVS users give it praise here just recently.
post #678 of 1764 Old 05-15-2012, 03:01 PM

Is anyone playing Mortal Kombat? Is it good? Worth picking up?
post #679 of 1764 Old 05-16-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyxbr View Post

Co-worker got MK, and says he enjoys it - much like the recent reboot on the PS3.

I picked up the Pinball Arcade collection on Vita, which also gets it for the PS3 too. It plays well on the Vita - the ball is a little on a the small side, but it's pretty fast and smooth. The vertical mode looks amazing, allowing to see almost the entire table, but has to use touch controls to press the flippers. The later is a deal-breaker IMO, even though the mode looks amazing.

post #680 of 1764 Old 05-16-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

...I picked up the Pinball Arcade collection on Vita, which also gets it for the PS3 too...

That's what I was confused about. So if you buy one version, you can download it to both? I know they said DLC tables would be buy once play on both, just wasn't sure if that applied to the core game as well. I might have to pick it up in that case even though I already bought it for the Xbox. Shame it's not buy once, play on the iPad, Xbox, PS3, and the Vita. Any other platforms I'm forgetting? Maybe Android phone? Could be fun on the new Evo when I get it next week.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #681 of 1764 Old 05-16-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbburns View Post

That's what I was confused about. So if you buy one version, you can download it to both?

Yeah, it's a bit confusing. I bought the 4 tables package on the Vita for $9.99, and last night I went on PS Store via PS3, and it said the PS3 version was also $9.99. But when I clicked download, it said it was already purchased and gave me three files to download - the Vita version (to the PS3), the demo for the PS3 version, and a Full Game unlock for the PS3 version.

btw, the 360 is the superior version of this game. But it's nice to have on Vita, and the L-R buttons make good pinball controls.

post #682 of 1764 Old 05-17-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

I've heard from lots of people that the Vita version is excellent with one caveat. The graphics of the characters have suffered in the translation to Vita quite a bit. Especially the characters that are wearing clothes that show their stomachs and chest, etc. Not enough polygons are being used on them, and it can be a bit jarring to see it at first. Other than that though, the game is supposed to be awesome, and the Vita specific mini games are supposed to be pretty damn entertaining. Jeff Cannata from the Weekend Confirmed podcast was raving about the game on a recent podcast. He was basically saying that this Mortal Kombat reboot is the best "single" player fighting game ever made. Which, from a Vita standpoint is important. The lag on online matches for most fighting games is going to be pretty bad, so the single player game becomes very important, especially when you factor in the fact that it's unlikely that your going to have another person with a Vita living in your house for ad-hoc play.

I'm not a fighting game guy, but if I could get this game for about $18, I'd probably pick it up. So, I'll obviously be waiting a number of months to get the used version, but for a MK fan with a Vita, this seems like a must buy.
post #683 of 1764 Old 05-18-2012, 12:55 PM

Great. Thanks for that. I picked up Marvel v Capcom as one of my launch titles and have not been very happy with it. Its possible that I just don't know what I am doing but the single player experience barely exists at all. If MK has one I will trade in MvC for MK.
post #684 of 1764 Old 05-20-2012, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I am & it's Awesome. I play it alot and enjoy it more than the console version. Fatalities are easier to pull off and you get EVEY character up front (no unlocking). Worth purchasing.

Edit: The reason the characters don't look so good supposedly (I think they look great for a handheld) is because they wanted the game to run at 60fps and it does. I have had NO hiccups whatsoever. Game runs extremely smooth. Also the SP is pretty darn fun. It acclimates you to using the majority players and their moves so once you start ladder matches you will already know how to perform moves. You can also Press Start during gameplay and see a Moves List. I suggest playing the SP 1st (this way you get coins to unlock Krypts which in-turn unlocks extra costumes and 2nd Fatality Moves). Just goto Gamefaqs and read up on which Krypts to unlock (as there are many) for the additional Kostumes and Fatalities.

Those Who Attempt To Destroy Me, Shall Be Obliterated!!

Megatron
post #685 of 1764 Old 05-21-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Retro City Rampage looks like it might be fun on the Vita.

post #686 of 1764 Old 05-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

if it weren't for hot shots golf I would have sold this system already.... make some new games, not re-makes of ancient games.
post #687 of 1764 Old 05-21-2012, 04:44 PM

Why not both new games and remakes? Hot Shots is a remake and is still very fun. Both Ninja Gaiden and Rayman are a blast.
post #688 of 1764 Old 05-21-2012, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why not both new games and remakes? Hot Shots is a remake and is still very fun. Both Ninja Gaiden and Rayman are a blast.

One of the big problems right now is that publishers aren't willing to risk exclusive/new IP for the Vita, so it's an either-or proposition at the moment. Either the Vita continues its anemic sales trajectory and continues to get a handful of third-party ports, or sales pick up considerably and we start seeing third-party exclusives.

For the foreseeable future, the only significant exclusives will be first party. Until Sony can prove to publishers that the system is a worthwhile investment (i.e. break the 10-million consumer mark) that won't change. Even with a strong E3 showing that means winning over consumers in the fall/winter--which means publishers wouldn't start bothering to begin project development until sometime in 2013, which means no significant third-party titles until 2014 at the soonest.

The best hope for the device is for Sony to turn it into an awesome outlet for first-party titles and indie development. Major third-party publishers will be too slow to make any real difference one way or the other. And even with its slow and steady sales, some major third-party ports have already been canceled (PES was recently pulled from the lineup).

Sony of Japan recently announced a major refocusing on the device, so it sounds like they're committed. But it's all rhetoric at this point. No substance yet.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #689 of 1764 Old 05-21-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 145
hopefully EA and 2K deliver strong versions of Madden 13 and NBA 2K13. Those two games will be HUGE for the Vita. I can guarantee that if those games are as close to their PS3 big brother as Fifa Soccer is to Fifa on the PS3, then the PS Vita will make a recovery in North America, if nothing else.

That, along with tons of other big Vita games being revealed at e3.
post #690 of 1764 Old 05-21-2012, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30

That looks fun!
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation Vita Wifi , Playstation Vita The Walking Dead Bundle

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version