post #721 of 1761 Old 05-26-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Really? Why would this game be a "omg reveal of Vita version"? You asked for a link. As of today no Vita version.

Are you currently in denial with what is going on with the Vita? Sony doesn't have anything to do with 2K deciding to not make a version of Vita. The system hasn't sold as expected worldwide as to why they have not currently announced a Vita version. Why are you trying to make excuses about this when it is no different than past situations with other devices? Making a port still cost time and money. If only 2 million systems are currently on the market today they need to recoup the cost and right now some companies are taking the chance and others are not based on the climate or simply corporate heads simply are just waiting until a year to see where the system is. Nothing to do with difficulties of tools.

Well, obviously, I'm expecting that Sony would be willing to co-market the game, and provide some kind of subsidy to 2K to give them an incentive for a Vita version. Sure, the Vita sales are anemic at the moment, but anybody with half a brain knows that a price drop is coming in the near term. When is the price drop coming?

1. At e3

2. To coincide with Madden 13's release for Vita on August 28th

3. In mid to late October, just before the big selling season starts to heat up

So, with a price drop coming, it could be good timing for NBA 2K13, since that game wouldn't come out till late October at the earliest anyways. There could be a huge surge of buyers for the Vita, right at the time the brand new game would be coming out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1761 Old 05-26-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Well, obviously, I'm expecting that Sony would be willing to co-market the game, and provide some kind of subsidy to 2K to give them an incentive for a Vita version. Sure, the Vita sales are anemic at the moment, but anybody with half a brain knows that a price drop is coming in the near term. When is the price drop coming?

1. At e3

2. To coincide with Madden 13's release for Vita on August 28th

3. In mid to late October, just before the big selling season starts to heat up

So, with a price drop coming, it could be good timing for NBA 2K13, since that game wouldn't come out till late October at the earliest anyways. There could bea huge surge of buyers for the Vita, right at the time the brand new game would be coming out.

Your saying that Sony who is losing billions now will do a price drop on a system they are making money on from my understanding will drop the price that could cause it to lose money on each one sold. Are you saying this is part of Sony's recent plans to be profitable by fiscal 2013 hedging their hopes that the price drop will get owners to buy the $40 games that they are not buying now?

The 5.0 is here
post #723 of 1761 Old 05-26-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

Your saying that Sony who is losing billions now will do a price drop on a system they are making money on from my understanding will drop the price that could cause it to lose money on each one sold. Are you saying this is part of Sony's recent plans to be profitable by fiscal 2013 hedging their hopes that the price drop will get owners to buy the $40 games that they are not buying now?

Actually, I think they will try to do a special bundle first. At e3, I think they will announce the bundle that Europe is getting. Basically the buyer gets Uncharted and a 4 gig memory card thrown in for free, but the price stays exactly the same. They will hope that this, along with a bunch of new game announcements and the release of Resistance, Gravity Rush and a bit later, LBP and Madden will be enough to get the thing turned around.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to be enough. The old saying is, "Money talks, BS walks". A price drop is a near certainty whether Sony wants to do it or not. The question is, will they come to the realization quick enough to time the price drop with Madden, or will they wait till mid to late October?

The only other option is to simply discontinue the Vita and wash their hands from the entire Vita experience. Sony can either double down on the Vita, or walk away from it. Anything inbetween is going to result in failure.
post #724 of 1761 Old 05-29-2012, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Resistance reviews are coming out and they look ugly. Guess this game is a pass for me.
post #725 of 1761 Old 05-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

Resistance reviews are coming out and they look ugly. Guess this game is a pass for me.

seems like mediocre is a better word... the gameplay videos previously released were not impressive, it's surprising how lacking the MP options are
post #726 of 1761 Old 05-29-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
There is going to be a demo for Resistance (Gravity Rush too), so we can test it out for ourselves today. What time does the Vita store update (I'm pretty sure it's earlier than the PS3)?

Edit: Resistance is up on PSN via search -- 3.1 GB download for both the game and demo. Hmmm... no discount ($39.99) on a 1st party game. Pure Chess is up too ($7.99), as is the Gravity Rush demo (472 MB) and Nico Nico.
post #727 of 1761 Old 05-29-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's a cool, new platformer that's just been announced for both Vita and PS3. It's a bit reminiscent of Braid.
post #728 of 1761 Old 05-29-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

Resistance is up on PSN via search -- 3.1 GB download for both the game and demo. Hmmm... no discount ($39.99) on a 1st party game. Pure Chess is up too ($7.99), as is the Gravity Rush demo (472 MB) and Nico Nico.

Damn... all that and I got into the....

LITTLE BIG PLANET BETA

First time I've ever gotten into one of these, besides the Halo 3 beta that I got into for buying Crackdown. I'll definitely keep peeps posted on how it is. But goodness gracious.... Tons of stuff to play with these two demos and the LBP beta.

Happy Birthday to me
post #729 of 1761 Old 05-29-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

Yeah, I saw that Greg Miller review from IGN. Dude is the ultimate Sony fanboy, and a guy that likes Resistance, and he gave it a 5.5 ? I shudder to think what Arthur Gies would have given it, lol...
post #730 of 1761 Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Damn... all that and I got into the....

LITTLE BIG PLANET BETA

Jealous! Are you under NDA? I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

I KNEW I should have lied and said I had created a level in a previous game.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #731 of 1761 Old 05-29-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Jealous! Are you under NDA? I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

I KNEW I should have lied and said I had created a level in a previous game.

I actually said no to that question.

As for the NDA, I don't remember reading anything about that, but maybe I better check that out before I start giving my impressions. Might have been in small print or something.

UPDATE: There is a NDA, so I can't say nathan. Oh well..
post #732 of 1761 Old 05-30-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 185
Gravity Rush looks interesting, and here's a review that seems to really like it:

Quote:

Gravity Rush Review (Vita)

05/24/2012 Written by Heath Hindman

My physics professor once said, Earth's gravity is a relatively weak force, as far as the universe goes. I fight and defeat gravity every time I walk up the stairs. We fly through the air on planes, hang gliders, and hot air balloons all the time. We laugh at gravity. If our current aerial transportation modes are the equivalent of laughing at gravity, Gravity Rush on PS Vita is like giving it a huge middle finger, then running over its dog with a truckwhile still laughing.

A common misconception about Gravity Rush is that the main character can fly, but rather than flying, leading lady Kat controls the direction in which gravity will pull her. The player will activate her power, aim at gravity's new origin, and with the touch of a button, send Kat falling in whatever direction that might be. Shel Silverstein would be proud. This unique power is the source of Gravity Rushs real strength. Floating, aiming carefully, then choosing the new official direction of gravity as Kat's main mode of transportation is insanely fun. When a mission calls Kat the entire way across town, the journey there will sometimes be as exciting as the task itself. Not since Jet Grind Radio has simply moving from one place to another been such a joy.

Bright pink gems add another reason for the player to try and see every single spot in the city. These stones function as Kat's upgrade system; players collect them and level up attributes such as the power of certain attacks, her health, her fall speed, and so on. Collecting these gems is grand fun, thanks to the game's unique movement style, and deciding how to spend them is rewarding, though grind addicts may be disappointed to realize that each attribute is capped per chapter. Sorry, you won't be maxing out your gravity tornado the minute after learning it. This isn't necessarily a drawback, but worth a mention.

Through the art, character design, direction, and controls, the game does a superb job of making the player actually feel like he is soaring through the air. Having been a game fan for over a quarter of a century, I've played plenty of games with flying characters and jumped off my share of high places, but never before have flying and falling come together like this, and never before have they been so fun.

Its introductory stages and missions are constructed perfectly, as Gravity Rush is fun to play while still learning how to play. The player is given simple tasks like go over there, which might seem elementary, but in a game this unique, such is a necessary inclusion, to avoid mass frustration. A tutorial that combines learning how to play the game with actually enjoying its features seems hard to come by these days, and Sony Japan Studio deserves credit for pulling this off. After only a chapter or two, most players will have a firm grasp on how to play and how to get the most out of doing so; any time a new ability comes along, it's taught to Kat in similar fashion. Never did I feel like I didn't understand a certain ability or other aspect of the game, from beginning to end.

Japan Studio deserves a tip of the hat for the job done on Gravity Rushs controls and camera operation. In a game all about falling every possible direction and running around on walls and ceilings, it seems like confusion or disorientation would be part of the package. While it's not without occasional instances of those feelings, they're well minimized. The camera always seems to find a good spot, and when it swings around, will give the player a vantage point that makes sense. Kat will jump off a ledge, free fall for several seconds, halt in mid-air, re-launch towards the underside of a balcony, land on it (now walking upside-down), and begin running with smoothness of both control and camera movement that allow the player to keep track of what's what, the whole time. Whether falling, hovering, fighting, or moving about the city, manual camera operation constantly feels natural, and it's always easy to see what one need to see. A neat use of Vita tech allows the player to move the machine around and get a look at the surroundings while in mid-airgimmicky most of the time, but nonetheless cool to show your friends, and it does make itself useful once in a while (although it's also a good way to look like a tool while riding a bus or train).

While commendable overall, the controls are not without their quirks and imperfections. When doing one particular slide move, the player needs to turn the Vita not unlike the steering gimmick found in Mario Kart Wii. That might add a dimension of fun, especially on a home console, but it lowers the portability of this portable game, because swinging the system around like that makes you a problem to those you're sitting next to and a spectacle to those you aren't. The even bigger sin of control, however, is that dodging is only doable by swiping the screen. In a situation requiring twitch movements like a dodge roll, removal of a thumb from a stick or button and leave the character open in another way or rob the player of another function. On the bright side, one can make it through the game without even using the swipe-dodge.

Every little detail contributes to making the experience unique: the visible wind, the camera movements, the way Kat's hair flows, the changing position of her rising and falling body, everything. Innumerable games have used shaky cameras, but Gravity Rush uses it to perfectionnot too extreme, but it conveys that something is going on, adding just enough of an extra touch to the free falling and smashing into the ground. These tiny bits of attention to detail and feature use-without-abuse is indicative of a dev team really caring about its product. Most players probably won't even notice these touches, but will definitely feel their effect on the whole package. With all that goes on, Gravity Rush is an entry into the list of games that could be considered art.

Gravity Rush is very brown, especially in the first area; the first district consists mostly of brown, beige, several shades of dark red, occasional deep purple, and a big helping of gray, all of which was actually a favor to the player, since this makes it easier for brightly colored gems, checkpoints, and enemies to stand out. It helps players' eyes become used to the art of spotting gems while falling at full speed. It's all part of Gravity Rushs friendly learning curve. Later areas get slightly more colorful, though GR maintains its same general look and feel throughout. Don't take the heavy use of Earth tones as a negative, though, as Rush visually pleasing in practically every way.

Kat's adventure will take place mostly in a floating city called Hekseville, more districts of which will open with the passing of time and chapters. One won't find much interactivity around the city in terms of shops or buildings to go into, and only a handful of NPCs in each section of the town will ever have anything to say, but the much bigger attraction to GR's exploration is seeing the city itself. Hekseville features impressive, beautiful architecture around every corner; gazing around from any vantage pointland, sky, or the side of a building. There's so much fun to be had whizzing around the village that one doesn't need an Elder Scrolls or Yakuza level of interactivity with the townsfolk.

Story is certainly not the reason one plays a game like Gravity Rush, but what's there is surprisingly interesting. With gameplay this good, this unique, and with this much innovation, Sony could have easily gotten away with phoning this aspect inOh whoa I got these crazy powers by being hit by a shooting star and bitten by a radioactive moon man, now I have to save the world from moon men! We see that happen in all kinds of games with regularity, and frankly, that's fine in most cases; yet the story in Gravity Rush actually manages to do a bit more than one might expectwhile still of course including a few helpings of moon men. It's not going to win award for its tale, but it does the base job of an action/adventure/platform game story in providing the character with a reason for doing what she's doing, then keeping things fresh and somewhat engaging for the game's duration. This rabbit hole goes deeper than what would generally be expected of this type of game, for the better.
A lot of this tale will be told through digitized manga pages. The player will see mostly still images on the screen with borders around the edges, then advance to the next block of the page. Dialogue (most of which is unvoiced) pops up in speech bubbles, making the majority of Gravity Rushs story segments like an electronic comic book. I'm not usually a fan of comics, but found the storytelling in Gravity Rush surprisingly enjoyable.

At times, Kat will be called upon to fight off black blobbish enemies, which all have a bright glowing orange weak point that she must strike for massive damage. Enemy types get more varied as the game goes on, and after about the halfway point, there are intense battles to be had. Several of these larger-scale fights take place entirely in mid-air, feeling like their own special brand of dog fightthe constant soaring through the air, turning gravity control on and off in order to stay unpredictable and dodge projectiles, using her attack powers when an opening appears, frantic hunts for health restoration gems, Gravity Rush has some riveting combat. These huge battles that I've called dog fights don't happen often, especially in the early going, but when they do, they provide quite a thrill.
Initial combat abilities include of course the basic kick and dodge, though the latter's required use of the touchscreen makes it often unwieldy. Over time, Kat learns some new powers. Some of these have a target lock-on which is impressively functional. Given that one will be falling every direction and may not even know which way is up at times, it's good to see the enemy lock-on be as forgiving as it is in Gravity Rush. It doesn't make, for example, Kat's gravity kick a freaking homing missile with 100% accuracy, but it comes with just enough of an allowance to prevent combat from becoming a headache. There are a few moves in Kat's repertoire that lack much value in combat, but any player using his head should be able to figure out his priorities.

Gravity Rush has so many strengths, so few weaknesses, and is such a unique title, that it deserves some form of attention from every gamer. The premise and gameplay are so unique that we, as gamers, should reward and encourage this kind of creativity in our industry. It's not a perfect game, but no game has to be. Playing Gravity Rush delivers sensations that I haven't felt in years, and it's truly unrivaled in providing this exact type of fun. Believe the hype. Gravity Rush is a game like no other.

PlayStation LifeStyle's Final Score

+ You've never played a game like this.
+ Really, shut up, no you haven't.
+/- Neat use of Vita tech, sometimes forced-in or awkward.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #733 of 1761 Old 05-30-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm glad they had a demo of Resistance, because I probably would have bought it otherwise, just to see for myself. Aside from being a very mediocre game, the one thing that really bothers me is the sound. Since the Vita does not have rumble, good weapon sound design is extremely important, so as to give the impression of weight. The weapon sounds are the worst I've heard in any game (yes, I used headphones). I guess I'll have to wait for KZ and COD for my FPS fix. Why Sony gave the Resistance IP to Nihilistic is baffling.

If you want a good shooter and haven't already bought it yet, I recommend Unit 13. It doesn't have VS multiplayer and when compared to home console shooters, it does seem a bit generic -- but when compared to other portable shooters, it's by far the best. It's a shame that Sony shut down Zipper.

The Gravity Rush demo was what I expected, but it took a bit of fiddling to get the controls to where I wanted them. Player and camera movement were fine, but aiming while floating was pretty difficult. I ended up turning sensitivity all the way down and even then, aiming was not as good as Unit 13 (some complain that Unit 13 has too much aim assist, but whatever works right?). I think I will buy the physical copy of this game, because there probably won't be too much replay value.

I bought Pure Chess and through no fault of it's own (the game is very good), I kind of regret it. The screen is just too small and if I'm going to play computer chess, it's going to be on my iPad (similarly, I won't be buying anymore iPad shooters no matter how well received they are -- it just doesn't work).

@Anthony1... very jellie!!
post #734 of 1761 Old 05-30-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Gravity rush demo was okay... don't think i'd pay 40dollars for it though. Maybe when its 20.

Asscreed and Ghostrecon leaked from a retailer

post #735 of 1761 Old 05-31-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Walmart is including a $50 gift card with the purchase of a Vita next week.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/05/...ase-at-walmart

Edit: Just a random thought... if Gameloft had Modern Combat 3 ready to go at Vita's launch, they probably would have sold a bunch and established a decent online community. Even now, a cheap online FPS would still do well (with COD probably not launching until fall). I have the iOS version and aside from the controls, it's pretty good (better than Resistance anyways).
post #736 of 1761 Old 05-31-2012, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
A lot of people have been downloading YouTube videos directly from the PS Vita which is better than nothing but not an ideal way of doing it since you have to get off your web browser and get into the video icon to see your video but anyway, it seams like that is about to change soon because Sony has officially announced that the PS Vita will be getting a YouTube app. What stinks is that we wont get it until the end of June. 480p streaming seams very likely but I'm hoping for 720p. Still good news.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/...on-to-ps-vita/

With all that constant complaining about not being able to stream YouTube, I guess Sony finally want's people to stop bugging them about it.
post #737 of 1761 Old 06-06-2012, 01:13 PM

Liked: 10
Just received an email from Sony with $50 coupon for PS Vita Wi-Fi +3G, to be used only on SonyStyle website. The bundle, which includes the console, 8GB memory card and a free PlayStation Network game is now 249 plus tax. Anybody else got that offer?
post #738 of 1761 Old 06-06-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 429
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-06-sony-says-no-to-ps-vita-price-cut

Sony says no to PS Vita price cut

Sony has said no to a PS Vita price cut.
Sony Worldwide Studios chief Shuhei Yoshida told Eurogamer that the Japanese company is happy with Vita's current price - despite it struggling to sell.
"Oh, absolutely." Yoshida replied when we asked him whether it was too soon for a Vita price cut in 2012.
"From the value for money standpoint, we think we have a good price for what the system is. And our priority is to achieve the potential through more games and services.
"Of course people who are looking to buy are also talking about the price of PS Vita, especially when they have to buy a memory card as well. That's something we have to spend time to cost reduce and address in the future. But now, our laser focus is to increase the content and to realise the potential of the system."
Sony's handheld has just passed 100,000 units sold in the UK, according to recent reports. That figure was achieved 10 weeks after going on sale on these shores. It's also less than a third of the sales the PlayStation Portable managed 10 weeks after it went on sale in the UK.
Worldwide PlayStation Vita sales were 1.8 million at the end of March 2012. Sony boss Kaz Hirai described the tally as "a good start". Sony expects there to be 16 million combined PSP and Vita sales this financial year.
In March Hirai reasoned PSP would contribute roughly six million sales towards this. "A game platform, like Vita - the software is the key to success, how good the software is," Hirai said. "We have to reinforce the software area in order to improve the business, that is the basic line."
Thus, Vita owners had hoped to see a raft of new games during Sony's E3 press conference on Tuesday morning. What they got was the announcement of Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation and confirmation of a Vita version of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale - not enough to prevent a negative reaction from some owners of the handheld.
Yoshida blamed Vita's sparse showing on Sony's attempt to cut the length of its press conference compared to previous years.
"As far as how our conference went - it went as well as we thought it could," he said. "I'm getting lots of tweets from people saying, 'where are PS Vita games?' That was, in retrospect, our fault - not looking at every angle when we designed the programme for the show. We have 25 new games, Vita titles, playable on the show floor.
"We could have spent more time - probably we should - showing off those games coming out this year.
"That aside, we got a very great response to our new IPs - Beyond by Quantic, and The Last of Us. So I'm very happy."
Last month Sony announced a six week PS Vita price cut for France only. It will offer a rebate of €50 on the PlayStation Vita from 1st June to 15th July.

The 5.0 is here
post #739 of 1761 Old 06-06-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Just an apps trailer:

And a cross-play trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgF78lNiHC
Pay once, get both - It would have been nice of that was true for most games.
post #740 of 1761 Old 06-06-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Though Sony decided to focus on Wonderbook (and in the process, shortchange Vita coverage), there were a handful of new Vita game demos on the show floor. Jet Set Radio, in particular, looks great -- there are more in the link.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/06/06/the-ps-vita-videos-sony-should-have-shown-you-this-e3

They could have at least shown the Sizzle montage.

post #741 of 1761 Old 06-07-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

From what I saw at E3, sony basically brushed off the Vita. This thing is dead, sells are constantly falling and with Sony losing billions its not surprising they're killing off the vita.
post #742 of 1761 Old 06-07-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

From what I saw at E3, sony basically brushed off the Vita. This thing is dead, sells are constantly falling and with Sony losing billions its not surprising they're killing off the vita.

This is a very legitimate concern. When the 3DS was in a very similar situation last year, Nintendo basically had two choices. Double down on the 3DS and do whatever it takes to make sure that it has a viable future, or basically let the system die on the vine, and don't throw more good money at a losing proposition. Nintendo made a difficult choice, and decided to "double down", with a huge $80 price drop that really shocked the gaming world. Surely, such a price drop really hit Nintendo in their bottom line, but at the same time, that along with Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7, basically single-handedly saved the 3DS from a fate similar to the Virtual Boy.

Sony seems to be in the exact same situation, and at this point, they have not doubled down on the Vita. Some analysts will say that Sony simply can't afford to double down on the Vita, because the company just can't absorb any more significant losses that a price cut would surely result in. Of course, at the same time, if the Vita doesn't make a major turn around, then Sony will be in an even worse situation when they have to take a total loss on the entire Vita experiment. One thing that we need to remember is that Nintendo didn't take their drastic coarse of action until August. Sony, might be considering a price drop, but decided that they could hold off on one for awhile, and see how things shake themselves out over the next couple of months. Madden is coming in late August, and that could be a good time to time a price drop that would coincide with the release of that game. As a Vita owner, I'm very concerned with the future of the Vita. Things are not looking very good. I was expecting Sony's e3 presser to basically be a glorified Vita showcase, with tons of big Vita games announced and shown off, but it didn't happen. The fact that they showed zero footage of the Call of Duty game was extremely puzzling. The Assassin's Creed game is interesting, but I'm not sure if it's going to be the game that pushes the Vita over the hump. Things are looking very sketchy in Vita land right now. You'd have to imagine that any publishers that aren't contractually obligated to provide games are going to back away from the Vita until things look better, and it could end up being a catch-22 situation that could effectively kill the Vita before it ever had a chance.

It's a damn shame, because that is a very good piece of hardware that Sony made. I love my Vita, and I love a good number of games that are already available for it. Everyone that I show it to is very impressed with it, but the average person out there, has no idea that it exists, and those that do, aren't willing to spend that much bank to get it, when you factor in memory card, case, extra games, etc, etc. It really adds up pretty quickly.
Goatse likes this.
post #743 of 1761 Old 06-07-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Sony had many options other than a price drop (which I didn't expect anyway). Sony had announced many possible features for Vita when it was unveiled last year. Most of those have yet to be implemented to a significant degree. I really expected Sony to come out this E3 with a ton of cool new features and services for Vita. Instead, all we got were more ports, we got a promise that more PSOne Classics would be made available (which should have been the case at launch), and we found out that the one game that would have been a surefire system seller (Sound Shapes) is now going multiplatform.

Making matters worse, MS stole Sony's thunder in this area with their "SmartGlass" idea. These are all things that Sony could do with the Vita and PS3 (and many features that Sony themselves suggested), but MS beat them to the punch. I really just can't figure out where their head is at. They must be so paranoid that the whole company is going under that they're terrified of any sudden movements or changes in direction.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #744 of 1761 Old 06-07-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed. this is the first system I have to say Sony got right. Hitech, user friendly and build quality on this thing is top notch. I just wish people would give this a chance.
post #745 of 1761 Old 06-07-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Sony hasn't given this thing a chance, so odds are long that too many people will. Overpriced memory cards, substandard marketing, half-baked or missing features that were available on its predecessor....why should it be a success? I mean really ask yourselves...what has Sony done to push this thing and make it a must buy?

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #746 of 1761 Old 06-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Regarding using the Vita as a PS3 controller, the new LBP2 DLC looks like it does an amazing job of it. I can't embed the video, but check it out here:

E3 2012: Little Big Planet 2 Vita Cross Control
post #747 of 1761 Old 06-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
A description of the LBP2 cross control from The Verge:
Quote:
Sony has an answer to the asymmetrical multiplayer showcased by the Wii U and Microsoft's SmartGlass technology — whether they realize it or not.

LittleBigPlanet 2's upcoming Vita Cross-Play DLC pack made its appearance in Sony's E3 press conference, but it didn't have the impact that the update may deserve. The presentation made it sound like any other Remote Play title on the console — in all actuality, it's much, much more than that.

With the Cross-Play DLC, you'll be able to use the Vita as a controller for Media Molecule's PS3 platformer, but that's the least interesting of its functions. As you build a level in the PS3 version of the game, you'll also be able to build a corresponding level on your Vita using touch controls reminiscent of Tarsier's upcoming, Vita-based LBP. Using a surprisingly simple catalog of tools, you can connect switches and prompts between the two to create ... well, just about anything you want.

For instance, one level saw three PS3 players wondering around a circular maze inside a spaceship. As they navigated the treacherous room, the Vita player flew the ship through a side-scrolling shooter level on his own screen. Events between the two were linked: As the Vita player moved the ship side-to-side, the PS3 players' maze rotated. As the Vita player wrecked into obstacles, gravity was temporarily suspended for the other players. As the PS3 players found power-ups on the ship, the Vita player's ship was bolstered with missile and laser upgrades.

In a single-player demo, I navigated a level on the PS3 using the Vita as a controller. As I traversed the level, I unlocked "Apps" for the Vita, which I could activate with a touch and change the game: A radar app let me see hidden items, a tractor beam app allowed me to drag and drop objects around the environment, a telecommunications app let me to talk to a helpful guide.

At one point in a level, I jumped in a pipe, and popped out on my Vita's screen. I navigated the traps therein and found a bounce pad which launched me upwards - and back onto the television. It was reminiscent of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures, where every dungeon and cave would kick you onto your GBA's screen. It was also similar to the gameplay experiences that the Wii U and Microsoft SmartGlass are going for.

It's worth noting: Both levels were made entirely in-game using the same tools afforded to players.

This is the second substantial DLC update LittleBigPlanet has received, and it looks just as substantial as the last. The Move Update added some neat functionality that was put to good use by the community, but the Cross-Play update might just make a bigger impact than that. It wasn't just something I've never seen in LittleBigPlanet before — it was something I've never done on a PS3 before, and arguably the coolest use of the Vita to date.
post #748 of 1761 Old 06-07-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Sony hasn't given this thing a chance, so odds are long that too many people will. Overpriced memory cards, substandard marketing, half-baked or missing features that were available on its predecessor....why should it be a success? I mean really ask yourselves...what has Sony done to push this thing and make it a must buy?

quadcore GPU and CPU with OLED screen... some people would say its a bargain at 250 even with a 30dollar memory card. Not like apple fanboys line up for ipads that cost double.
post #749 of 1761 Old 06-07-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:

quadcore GPU and CPU with OLED screen... some people would say its a bargain at 250 even with a 30dollar memory card. Not like apple fanboys line up for ipads that cost double.

I'm aware of the hardware specs, I have one. That doesn't mean that Sony can just drop it on the market and expect gangbuster sales without decent marketing or coming through on features it promised a year ago. The fact is Sony hasn't convinced many people to drop money on the Vita, and the sales reflect that.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #750 of 1761 Old 06-07-2012, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Exactly. The Vita is under priced for the Tech it has. If it had a Fruity logo on it everyone would have went ApeS**T and said it was "Magical" and would have lined up for blocks to pay $500 for it. I love my Vita and use it everyday. I have 8 games for it (Uncharted, Unit 13, Resistance, Mortal Kombat, Stardust HD, MLB 12 The Show, Rayman & Ninja Gaiden & will get Metal Gear HD Collection next week), 32GB Card, Hard Case, Trigger Grip (which is an absolute must) & console charging stand and have no reservations about paying the money for it. I am going to buy my daughter one for her Birthday (she loves LBP).

What gets me is all gamers Complained and Bitched about was they wanted the next PSP to have Dual Thumb Sticks and yet when they get that PLUS all the other Features they don't want to pay for it. I guess they wanted these cool features for $100. Gamers talk alot but when it comes down to putting their money where their mouths are they back away. The Vita is an Amazing piece of Tech out there and I would not trade it for anything. Yes, I am over 40 and been playing games since Pong.

Those Who Attempt To Destroy Me, Shall Be Obliterated!!

Megatron
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation Vita Wifi , Playstation Vita The Walking Dead Bundle

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page