Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #61 of 1797 Old 11-29-2011, 11:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 207
With the ability to transfer games on and off the Vita, PS3 owners might want to consider buying an 8GB card max right off the bat. There won't be enough content early on to overload it, and as the library selection increases over the years they can move files in and out with their PS3 and/or wait until the higher capacity cards are cheaper.

One reason I think they went with a proprietary card is for anti-piracy purposes. The PSP was hacked up the wazoo using exploits with the standard Memory Stick. My guess is they went into Vita design determined to address that issue in part by also designing the mem card along with it in specialized ways that might not be immediately obvious.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1797 Old 11-30-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

One reason I think they went with a proprietary card is for anti-piracy purposes. The PSP was hacked up the wazoo using exploits with the standard Memory Stick. My guess is they went into Vita design determined to address that issue in part by also designing the mem card along with it in specialized ways that might not be immediately obvious.

That was the only reason (other than the obvious reason of just getting gamers to pay a premium for something they already have sitting in their drawer, only in a different plastic case) I could come up with either.

The idea that the Vita *needs* extra-special-super-fancy memory because it is a high end device is a non-starter. Sony supports SD cards in all of their other electronics devices, from their phones and tablets all the way up to their NXCAM line of professional ENG camcorders. Which I would argue needs to have more reliable data throughput for documentary filmmakers and small, local news affiliates to do their jobs; then somebody sitting on a train playing a video game.

Yeah, I can see how they want a different format to delay the inevitable. But then, UMD discs were supposed to be "different" and thereby hinder cracking too...

Anyway, I think they just know that the PSVita is the only game in town for this grade of mobile handset and that getting the base price of the handset down means they can make a good profit on unique memory. Just like they always have.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if this memory is planned to be used on any other device/product in the future?

-Suntan
post #63 of 1797 Old 12-01-2011, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41

Here's another vid showing the UI (this time in English). Vita is looking pretty slick. Love them or hate them, you have to give Apple credit for forcing everyone else to up their game.
post #64 of 1797 Old 12-01-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't mind getting a flavor of that interface on my phone.

-Suntan
post #65 of 1797 Old 12-01-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Anyone know if the Vita is going to use DVD/Digital Copy? It never was licensed for the PSP, and since I can't find a mention I assume it's not coming for Vita.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #66 of 1797 Old 12-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Some corrections to the previously announced pricing for the memory cards: the 4GB Memory Card is actually $24.99 and the 8GB Memory Card is $39.99.
post #67 of 1797 Old 12-02-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/12/...ils-from-japan

Yay, Vita will have custom soundtracks as a base function (not developer dependent).

Also, apparently the lack of flash is Adobe's decision, though Sony is still trying to convince them otherwise.

Too bad Gamestop didn't correct the price for the 32GB card.
post #68 of 1797 Old 12-02-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
So those that don't know have some info, Adobe is ceasing Flash for all mobile devices. HTML5 is taking its place.

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations...ash-focus.html
post #69 of 1797 Old 12-04-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
More bad news about the Vita: you'll be limited to having only one PSN account on the device. No more multiple profiles. No more multiple region accounts.

I'm sure we'll hear more after it launches in Japan in a couple weeks. More and more reasons to wait and see with this thing. Lots of limitations and oddities are popping up.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #70 of 1797 Old 12-04-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I wasn't really expecting Vita to have support for multiple accounts -- it's really more of a "personal" device.
post #71 of 1797 Old 12-04-2011, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

http://thriftynerd.com/2011/12/vita-...s-than-retail/

There is a rumor that the digital download version of a Vita game will cost 40% less than the retail cartridge. If true, this makes the memory card prices a bit more palatable. Also, it's only fair that the dlc version is cheaper since we can't trade them in (though 40% sounds too good to be true).
post #72 of 1797 Old 12-04-2011, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

I wasn't really expecting Vita to have support for multiple accounts -- it's really more of a "personal" device.

The big loss is having different regional PSN accounts. You couldn't do this on PSP, but you can on PS3. It's come in handy often on PS3 (for demos, exclusives, betas, etc). Not something that was promised for Vita, but I had hoped Sony was continuing to move in a forward direction in terms of licenses. But the combination of this alongside the new policy on game sharing shows that Sony is now tightening their hold on how you use and access content. It's a shame since that used to be a big selling point of the PS3 (region free, liberal sharing policy, non-proprietary add-ons, and so on). Shows that Sony is continuing to backpedal in their licensing policies and is trying to create a more closed ecosystem. Too bad.

post #73 of 1797 Old 12-04-2011, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I can't wait to have my hands on this thing no matter what but $120 for a 32GB card is really brutal. I do wonder if Sony will adjust the price in the US once the release date is here. At the very least, knocking off $20 should be considered. With those current prices, I expect the speeds to be very fast to justify.
post #74 of 1797 Old 12-05-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

More bad news about the Vita: you'll be limited to having only one PSN account on the device. No more multiple profiles. No more multiple region accounts.

Same as the PSP.....disappointed to hear that.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #75 of 1797 Old 12-05-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

I can't wait to have my hands on this thing no matter what but $120 for a 32GB card is really brutal. I do wonder if Sony will adjust the price in the US once the release date is here. At the very least, knocking off $20 should be considered. With those current prices, I expect the speeds to be very fast to justify.

I think they are set. My hope is that third party knock-offs lower the prices over time.

I really want a Vita too but I am prepared to wait now. As it is I would be looking at around $400 and would be primarily interested in Hot Shots Golf (which will in all likelihood be exactly the same as the PS3 and PSP games) and SFxT (which I am getting for console anyway). The rest would be filled by games I can already play on PSP.
post #76 of 1797 Old 12-06-2011, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
it is incredible stupid, that in this day and age we get more restrictions. while it should actually be less. you can be sure this will be the first thing hackers will try to accomplish is to remove the user account and i will applaud them for it.

it is like sony learned nothing from the ps3 and the PSP at all. you can not use dicatatorship on your consumers.

some people have girlfriends and like to buy only 1 vita. then share the vita. what do i need to do now? buy 2 very expensive memory cards? buy 2 vitas?

not going to happen.
post #77 of 1797 Old 12-06-2011, 09:22 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

I can't wait to have my hands on this thing no matter what but $120 for a 32GB card is really brutal.

Consider yourselves lucky. Here in the UK the price is likely to be £120, which currently is about $187 !!
post #78 of 1797 Old 12-08-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The reports about the Vita allowing only one profile were wrong. There is no limit to the number of accounts that work on the machine because accounts are attached to mem cards and not the hardware:

Quote:

NEW YORK — Contrary to earlier reports, Sony told Wired.com Wednesday night that its upcoming PlayStation Vita handheld gaming system will not be limited to one online account per device.

Speaking to Wired.com at a press event in Manhattan, Sony associate brand marketing manager Crystal MacKenzie said that PlayStation Network accounts will be connected to the Vita’s proprietary memory cards, not the hardware itself. Though you will have to restore the Vita to its default factory settings in order to change the account on each memory card, you can use multiple cards to access multiple PSN accounts on a single Vita system.

“Your PSN ID is bonded to your memory card and your memory card is bonded to your Vita,” MacKenzie said. “So if you wanted to change different PSN users but use the same memory card, you would need to go factory reset.”

Customers will be able to swap cards to use different PSN IDs on the same system, MacKenzie said. If you have more than one memory card, you can register a different PlayStation Network account on each.

“You can also use them both on the same PSN account as well,” she said.

Earlier this week, a number of gaming websites reported that Sony would support only one PlayStation Network account per Vita system, disappointing many American fans who used alternative accounts to purchase European and Japanese games on Sony’s last handheld system, the PlayStation Portable.

Sony will release PlayStation Vita on February 22 in the U.S. It will retail for $250 (with Wi-Fi) and $300 (with Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity).

post #79 of 1797 Old 12-08-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ That's actually worse than what was assumed!

The going assumption had been that in order to switch accounts, you would need to do a factory reset on the Vita. But, now, Sony is saying that not only do you need to do a factory reset, but you also need to have a separate mem card.

Translation: your account is locked to a mem card, so you can't simply do a factory reset on the unit to switch accounts (as had been assumed). Now you have to buy an additional mem card and do a factory reset. That's not progress, Sony. That's a regression to 2005 standards. Nor does it seem like good design to ask your users to do a factory reset on a regular basis. Someone didn't think about this very carefully...

post #80 of 1797 Old 12-08-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

The going assumption had been that in order to switch accounts, you would need to do a factory reset on the Vita. But, now, Sony is saying that not only do you need to do a factory reset, but you also need to have a separate mem card.

That's not how I read it.

My understanding is the only reason to do a factory reset is to switch accounts on the *same* memory card. Not necessary if different accounts are on different cards.

Am I misunderstanding it here?
post #81 of 1797 Old 12-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I think confidenceman is misreading the announcement; my reading is the same as DaverJ's. You don't have to do a factory reset to switch PSN accounts; you just switch to another memory card. You only have to do a factory reset when you want to change a memory card's PSN account.
post #82 of 1797 Old 12-08-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

That's not how I read it.

My understanding is the only reason to do a factory reset is to switch accounts on the *same* memory card. Not necessary if different accounts are on different cards.

Am I misunderstanding it here?

Other sites are reporting conflicting responses from Sony. The one above sounds cut and dry, but others are really confusing the issue (which might explain my own confusion). Basically, we won't know for sure how this works until after the unit launches. Sony's not doing so well at communicating these details in a consistent or clear way. If folks like me are confused about this, how does Sony intend to communicate this clearly to the general public.

post #83 of 1797 Old 12-08-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No, it's not worse and we know now because Sony explained it. The wails came when some people thought that only one person could use their personal account on the Vita at a time. We see that is not true.

Instead, an unlimited number of people can use a single Vita with personal accounts when each gamer has his own memory card - no factory reset is needed for this to work. A factory reset is only needed when trying to establish a new account on a previously used memory card.

If other "sources" are putting up conflicting info just ignore them. We have the real info straight from the manufacturer.

post #84 of 1797 Old 12-09-2011, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Lol Joe .

just answer me this.

how it is not possible for sony to have multi users on 1 memory card? because that would have been great news.

now it is just a gigantic ripoff to consumers. if memory cards were already not so expensive for the vita. i need to buy now at least 2.

granted very nice marketing move by the sony managers. cant wait to hear them cry me a river when hackers hack the PS vita so we are allowed mulitply users on 1 vita and can use normal priced sd cards.

because that is what i will wait for. i will buy my games still official no problem with that. but i rather drop dead then get in this sdcard money making sceme by sony.
post #85 of 1797 Old 12-09-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Although I do appreciate the simplicity of the idea (basically treat the memory card like a SIM card.) It really doesn't do anything for security when a dodgy individual can just pop into a Wal Mart and buy a couple of memory cards, then swap accounts on them at will with a reboot here and there.

There's no inherent security in tying an account to a memory card that can also be untied relatively easily with a reboot.

Looking at it for what it is, It seems Sony has devised a system that makes it just annoying enough for the average person to justify buying multiple memory cards to use the system the way they want to use it, but not offer any real security enhancements.

That's Sony for you.

-Suntan
post #86 of 1797 Old 12-09-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

It really doesn't do anything for security when a dodgy individual can just pop into a Wal Mart and buy a couple of memory cards, then swap accounts on them at will with a reboot here and there.

Not sure I'm following you there...? What would this individual be up to?
post #87 of 1797 Old 12-09-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Wondering how that will affect purchase from PSN. Will you only be able to download to two memory cards, or two devices and unlimited memory cards? And downloading one game to many memory cards will be a PITA.
post #88 of 1797 Old 12-09-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

Not sure I'm following you there...? What would this individual be up to?

I don't know, I don't setup multiple PSN accounts, for nefarious uses or otherwise. But I am just under the assumption that Sony is claiming this account tied to our proprietary memory card is for security reasons.

In any case, once you boil it all down, a person that wants to use multiple PSN accounts in daily use needs to buy more than one of the expensive and proprietary memory cards, and it doesn't look like there is a legitimate reason for it beyond has to buy more of our expensive and proprietary memory cards.

-Suntan
post #89 of 1797 Old 12-09-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3code View Post

Lol Joe .

just answer me this.

how it is not possible for sony to have multi users on 1 memory card? because that would have been great news.

now it is just a gigantic ripoff to consumers. if memory cards were already not so expensive for the vita. i need to buy now at least 2.

granted very nice marketing move by the sony managers. cant wait to hear them cry me a river when hackers hack the PS vita so we are allowed mulitply users on 1 vita and can use normal priced sd cards.

because that is what i will wait for. i will buy my games still official no problem with that. but i rather drop dead then get in this sdcard money making sceme by sony.

I was addressing a very specific issue. The news of how accounts are handled with the Vita and memory cards is not worse than what was first reported, it's better. No one said it was the most ideal. I wish there were 128 GB cards sold for $10 that could store at least a dozen acconts each, but that ain't going to happen.

Still, what is being offered is better than the minimum $50 memory card concerns expressed earlier, better than the incorrect $30 price quote for 4 GB, and better than the false story that claimed the Vita only worked with only one account. Also, my speculation was correct in that it's been confirmed that the proprietary cards were decided on in part because of security concerns from boneheaded hackers.

Clarity is a good thing. Don't be offended by it.

post #90 of 1797 Old 12-09-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Wondering how that will affect purchase from PSN. Will you only be able to download to two memory cards, or two devices and unlimited memory cards? And downloading one game to many memory cards will be a PITA.

It sounds like your PSN account is tied directly to the mem card and a single Vita unit (similar to how Xbox 360 HDDs used to work). Not entirely sure, but it sounds like you'd be limited to two devices and/or two mem cards for a single piece of software on a single PSN account. In other words, you could only have a single piece of software in two places (in any combination of mem card or Vita unit) at once. And I don't think I've seen Sony state anywhere whether or not you can use your mem card on a different Vita unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Also, my speculation was correct in that it's been confirmed that the proprietary cards were decided on in part because of security concerns from boneheaded hackers.

Because, as we all know, "security concerns" have never been used as an excuse to exploit consumers (or citizens) before...

I'm with these other folks. I don't see how limiting one account to a single mem card could have anything to do with security. Either these proprietary cards are secure or they're not. Having multiple accounts shouldn't make a difference one way or the other. I only see dollar signs in this imposed limitation.

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation Vita Wifi , Playstation Vita The Walking Dead Bundle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page