Official Playstation Vita Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1774 Old 12-09-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Their is a couple of game sales that happened on Amazon today. Both All Stars Battle Royale and Little Big Planet for the PS Vita was priced to $20 each. Still, theirs one problem, Little Big Planet is sold out. All Stars is still avalable but I'm assuming a lot of people who wanted it eighter got it for free with the PS Vita or they sold the code. It's also harder to sell it when you get it for free if you purchase the PS3 version. If the deal was still good, I might have pulled the trigger on Little Big Planet. This stinks.

My Youtube page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Flickr page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1774 Old 12-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
These are also $20 at Gamestop. Amazon lowered their price to match the GS deal. Spy Hunter is also $20 at Gamestop though Amazon didn't match that one.
post #1173 of 1774 Old 12-09-2012, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I wonder if PS allstars vita has become 'unintentionally' devalued somewhat since its free with the PS3 version and was given away with the amazon BF bundle. Two weeks on the market and already being sold at $20?

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

post #1174 of 1774 Old 12-09-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Sony is IMO losing a lot of possible Vita sales by not delivering on ps3 remote play. It would be a MAJOR selling point for PS3 owners if, as you said above, the wifey can be watching her shows while you're sitting there next to her running a ps3 game through Vita. Untapped potential there....
Nice to hear you're enjoying yours thus far....

I think that lag makes most games not feasible. The Wii U uses a lot of proprietary tech and was designed from the ground up for this and the Vita/PS3 was just not designed for that.
post #1175 of 1774 Old 12-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37
From back in September, a review of how well Remote Play works with Shadow of the Colossus:

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps-vita-remote-play/
post #1176 of 1774 Old 12-09-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

I think that lag makes most games not feasible. The Wii U uses a lot of proprietary tech and was designed from the ground up for this and the Vita/PS3 was just not designed for that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Sony advertise ps3 remote play as a feature? One would assume they'd have done their homework to ensure they could actually deliver. Even if they can get it running on a handful of games, that would be great. I may just buy a game(provided its one I'm generally interested in) expressly if it was remote play compatible.....

Edit: I see according to the above, God of war collection is remote play. Will have to check that out for sure( I bought this 2 years ago and its still in its wrapping, I have yet to play GOW 2.......or 3 for that matter). Is it just a coincidence that this and the Ico/ Shadow collection are both ps2 HD conversion? Wonder if we'll see any other HD collections join the short list.....

post #1177 of 1774 Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

From back in September, a review of how well Remote Play works with Shadow of the Colossus:
http://www.gamesradar.com/ps-vita-remote-play/
I played Ico for a few hours via Remote Play. Worked fantastic.

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
post #1178 of 1774 Old 12-10-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 195
I loaded up a PS3 save of God of War HD and messed around a bit with the remote play for a few minutes. Very smooth experience! Definitely an upgrade over the laggy PSP remote play feature, and the graphics are pretty sharp as well. I hope more games support it in the future.

~~~

This weekend was the first time I had an extended session with my new Vita (I was waiting for my Hori screen protector to come in). Like most of you I am very impressed with the unit.

Visuals on this screen are outstanding. The D-Pad is perhaps the best ever made. The PSP nub-sticks have been replaced by good quality thumbsticks, and the touch controls on the front and back work as well as advertised. Battery life is so-so. I guess I'll finally buy that power grip I had my eye on to extend max playing time.

As far as software features go, it has most of the essential stuff covered. I'm just starting to get used to the Near app and how the system works with games. It's a pretty neat idea. I also like how you can turn off in-game notifications of trophies. I never liked the pop up in my PS3 gaming and wish it were patched into the firmware to switch it off.

One thing I am not liking so much is the constant updates on my "Activities". Why does it have to tell me every little thing I do in a game? Can I turn off Activity monitoring, or at least notifications? I also wish I could d-load my Vita files from the PS3 over wi-fi. I wonder why it is allowed for the PC and not the PS3?

So far I've played three games...

- Pinball Arcade. I love this title on my PS3, but will have to play a bit more to see what I think of the Vita version (which came free with my PS3 game purchase). I tried playing with the touch screen flippers in portrait mode, but it doesn't feel right. I want to use real buttons. Is it possible to do so? I can't get it to switch in the option screen. Touch screen flipper'ing is too goofy for me.

- Veloccity (a Mini game). This gem of a shooter is what I used to test the D-Pad. An excellent, innovative title that controls perfectly on the Vita. Possibly the best Mini out there if you haven't played it.

- Uncharted Golden Abyss. Awesome, awesome title so far (only on the 2nd chapter). It is surprising that this is in no way a dumbed down mini-Uncharted game. It is as full as a PS3 release and looks fantastic on the Vita. The touch gameplay takes some getting used to, but it also allows traditional input methods on the fly. I'm going through it slowly so as to try and find 100% of the hidden stuff each level. They've done a great job at expanding the optional treasure hunting play mechanics over the earlier releases. It is really extending the play time and enjoyment of the title.

When I finish the game, I will give MotorStorm RC a go, followed by the free Gravity Rush I got with Uncharted from PS+. I'm very happy with my purchase so far.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #1179 of 1774 Old 12-10-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Concerning Pinball Arcade, just put it in regular wide screen mode and use the L and R buttons for the flippers. That's how I usually play it and it works very well.

My Youtube page:

My Flickr page:

post #1180 of 1774 Old 12-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I loaded up a PS3 save of God of War HD and messed around a bit with the remote play for a few minutes. Very smooth experience! Definitely an upgrade over the laggy PSP remote play feature, and the graphics are pretty sharp as well. I hope more games support it in the future.
~~~
This weekend was the first time I had an extended session with my new Vita (I was waiting for my Hori screen protector to come in). Like most of you I am very impressed with the unit.
Visuals on this screen are outstanding. The D-Pad is perhaps the best ever made. The PSP nub-sticks have been replaced by good quality thumbsticks. And the touch controls on the front and back work as well as advertised. Battery life is so-so. I guess I'll finally by that power grip I had my eye on to extend max playing time.
As far as software features go, it has most of the essential stuff covered. I'm just starting to get used to the Near app and how the system works with games. It's a pretty neat idea. I also like how you can turn off in-game notifications of trophies. I never liked the pop up in my PS3 gaming and wish it were patched into the firmware to switch it off.
One thing I am not liking so much is the constant updates on my "Activities". Why does it have to tell me every little thing I do in a game? Can I turn off Activity monitoring, or at least notifications? I also wish I could d-load my Vita files from the PS3 over wi-fi. I wonder why it is allowed for the PC and not the PS3?
So far I've played three games...
- Pinball Arcade. I love this title on my PS3, but will have to play a bit more to see what I think of the Vita version (which came free with my PS3 game purchase). I tried playing with the touch screen flippers in portrait mode, but it doesn't feel right. I want to use real buttons. Is it possible to do so? I can't get it to switch in the option screen. Touch screen flipper'ing is too goofy for me.
- Veloccity (a Mini game). This gem of a shooter is what I used to test the D-Pad. An excellent, innovative title that controls perfectly on the Vita. Possibly the best Mini out there if you haven't played it.
- Uncharted Golden Abyss. Awesome, awesome title so far (only on the 2nd chapter). It is surprising that this is in no way a dumbed down mini-Uncharted game. It is as full as a PS3 release and looks fantastic on the Vita. The touch gameplay takes some getting used to, but it also allows traditional input methods on the fly. I'm going through it slowly so as to try and find 100% of the hidden stuff each level. They've done a great job at expanding the optional treasure hunting play mechanics over the earlier releases. It is really extending the play time and enjoyment of the title.
When I finish the game, I will give MotorStorm RC a go, followed by the free Gravity Rush I got with Uncharted from PS+. I'm very happy with my purchase so far.

I'm with you on both the Hori screen protector as well as the power grip. I want the power grip for comfort at least as much as for the extra battery. I've got the trigger grip already and while it is an improvement, the power grip looks much more comfortable for my larger than average hands.
post #1181 of 1774 Old 12-10-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Joeblow, don't know how much of an Uncharted fan you are( or a fan of card games) , but I'm hearing that Uncharted Fight for Fortune is pretty good and...well...its $5. May want to check out the demo in any event.....

post #1182 of 1774 Old 12-10-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yep, that Hori protector is awesome if you can figure out how to put it on. I was confused by the instructions until I came across this video which helps made the process simple:

post #1183 of 1774 Old 12-10-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
I'll say it again... having the power grip makes the Vita the way it should be! smile.gif
post #1184 of 1774 Old 12-10-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Every grip that I've tried has been made with that super slippery plastic coating. I don't know what the F the manufacturer is thinking, putting that slippery coating over the grip. I've tried the Trigger Grips by PDP (I think), and I tried the one that looks like the power grip, but has no extra battery. Both of them were coated with the exact same surface texture, that made it slippery. Trust me on this... It's a slow slip. Your hands don't slip off it immediately, and it actually does add comfort to the thing, but you'll notice before long your grip starting to slip away. I ended up getting rid of both and just playing bareback. It's the way to go.. unfortunately.
post #1185 of 1774 Old 12-10-2012, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Joeblow, don't know how much of an Uncharted fan you are( or a fan of card games) , but I'm hearing that Uncharted Fight for Fortune is pretty good and...well...its $5. May want to check out the demo in any event.....
Yeah, I've heard good things about it too. I may wait until I finish the main game before I look into it.

post #1186 of 1774 Old 12-11-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Every grip that I've tried has been made with that super slippery plastic coating. I don't know what the F the manufacturer is thinking, putting that slippery coating over the grip. I've tried the Trigger Grips by PDP (I think), and I tried the one that looks like the power grip, but has no extra battery. Both of them were coated with the exact same surface texture, that made it slippery. Trust me on this... It's a slow slip. Your hands don't slip off it immediately, and it actually does add comfort to the thing, but you'll notice before long your grip starting to slip away. I ended up getting rid of both and just playing bareback. It's the way to go.. unfortunately.

The grip I'm using isn't slippery...it feels great: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073ESZ58/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00

I hadn't heard of the power grip before. I'm probably going to have to grab it since I find the battery life to be terrible. It's the only negative I can find with the Vita.

post #1187 of 1774 Old 12-11-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

The power grip isn't slippery. The PS3's controllers are far more slippery than the Power Grip.
post #1188 of 1774 Old 12-11-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetoad View Post

The grip I'm using isn't slippery...it feels great: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073ESZ58/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00
I hadn't heard of the power grip before. I'm probably going to have to grab it since I find the battery life to be terrible. It's the only negative I can find with the Vita.

That's the one that I had. I had that one, and I also had the trigger grips. Both are coated with something that makes it slippery over time. You might not notice it right away, and you might only notice it during long gaming sessions, but I can guarantee you that eventually you'll notice that your hands start to slowly but surely slide off of it.

I will say however, that I liked the design of it better than the trigger grips, from a comfort standpoint, but just that damn coating that they put on it...
post #1189 of 1774 Old 12-11-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

That's the one that I had. I had that one, and I also had the trigger grips. Both are coated with something that makes it slippery over time. You might not notice it right away, and you might only notice it during long gaming sessions, but I can guarantee you that eventually you'll notice that your hands start to slowly but surely slide off of it.
I will say however, that I liked the design of it better than the trigger grips, from a comfort standpoint, but just that damn coating that they put on it...

I haven't had a problem with it, and I game for long periods of time (i.e., full charge to depleted charge). But I'm not a sweaty guy...

post #1190 of 1774 Old 12-11-2012, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 121
Not to derail the discussion, but on joeblow's suggestion . . . I've changed the thread's title.

I got my Vita back in February (for my birthday) & I still love it. Had a chance to play it while at the hospital & used their wireless system, and it is great when there are long periods of waiting. Still waiting for Dragon's Crown (which has gone completely silent since the new publisher took over), but with Gravity Rush & Wipeout from Plus for Vita, it isn't so bad.

As for memory cards, my 4 gig card has been enough for me all summer, but now with Plus, I am going to have to treat myself to a larger card.

- My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
post #1191 of 1774 Old 12-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

The LittleBigPlanet 2 DLC that lets you use the Vita as a controller is finally coming out next week:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/12/12/littlebigplanet-2-cross-controller-pack-out-next-tuesday/

Here's a demo:

Edit: Oops, I see joeblow has already linked to the announcement in a separate thread.
post #1192 of 1774 Old 12-12-2012, 10:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It's all good. Looks like there is a lot of potential in the setup. And if Cross Controller works as well as remote play with the Vita, input lag shouldn't be an issue.

post #1193 of 1774 Old 12-13-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey you guys with $4 lying around. Go to the Playstation Mobile section of the PSN store and buy a game called Surge right now!!!!

This action packed puzzler is one of the most addicting games since Tetris. It's a fantastic little game with a ton of replayability as you try to rise up the leaderboards (I'm top 40 right now).

post #1194 of 1774 Old 12-14-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Info/vid: http://www.pspminis.com/9821/futurlabs-next-game-is-surge/

I think this is the company that just got a large investment from Sony to make Vita games.

Your mom is a classy lady!

/ 

post #1195 of 1774 Old 12-18-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
+ RenderMonk on December 18th, 2012 at 12:20 pm said:

Agreed there’s really no good reason why this can’t be on Vita….and if there is, I believe we as consumers who buy your product are entitled to know. I refuse to believe that you posted something on the Sony Blog without KNOWING that you would have to answer is specific question regarding angry birds and the Vita. We appreciate the explanation.

+ Matt Hohl on December 18th, 2012 at 12:43 pm said:

It’s great to see so many passionate Vita fans on here. We are also a big fan of the platform, and have been exploring it as an opportunity for a new Angry Birds experience. As many of you are already aware, there are tons of cool ways to incorporate the many Vita input options with an Angry Birds experience. With that said, we don’t have anything official to announce yet.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/12/18/angry-birds-trilogy-anger-management-pack-hits-psn-1218/

While reading postings about the Angry Birds Trilogy DLC for the PS3, I read this comment that makes it "almost" confirmed that they'll be a native PS Vita version of Angry Birds.
Quote:

+ FORMIK on December 18th, 2012 at 1:22 pm said:

My family loves this games, as millions of others do. Is the main game available on PSN, or only on disc?
One more vote for an Angry Birds Vita release, please!

+ Matt Hohl on December 18th, 2012 at 2:23 pm said:

Great to hear! Right now the full trilogy is only available at retail, but it will be available via PSN on January 8th in North America.

If it's true than maybe it'll we'll hear more about it at around January 8, the time the trilogy is on PSN.

My Youtube page:

My Flickr page:

post #1196 of 1774 Old 12-20-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

So tonight my daughter came home to play the LBP2 Cross Controller setup. The first thing that happened was the Vita required us to install the latest update. I'd like to hear from the rest of you, but ever since we installed the update, the Wifi is working better, but the touch screen keeps locking up or acting erratic. It's impossible to use the Vita at this point for us. We've tried turning it completely off and back on several times, it works for a bit then the front touch screen quits working. Sometimes it can be impossible to even enter the passcode.

EDIT: Today is the day we discovered the bug that causes the touch screen to not operate properly when the charge cable is plugged in. Since we have never done it before today, we never noticed this problem before. I found it documented on other websites. Very aggrevating, especially if you are using the Vita as a controller. At first I noticed the problem went away if we took it out of the Power Grip. I thought that was odd, how could the Power Grip be interfering? So then we just plugged it into the charger and the problem came back. At this point I haven't really put 2 and 2 together and realized it's the charger causing the issue... do a little research and discover that's it. I went back and tested the Vita in different configurations (charger in just Vita, charger and Power Grip, just Power Grip) and it's the charger that kills it.

EDIT 2: Seems unplugging the charger only fixes the front side. We were still having trouble with the back. Did some more reading and full system resets (power completely off, hit power button, hold power, R1 and PS buttons, reset at the maintenance menu) seem to work. I have done this, will report back if it's fixed. Played the Welcome thing and it seems to be OK, but there's not much there to test the back screen. With the back screen not working, there are areas in LBP2 Cross Controller that are not possible to complete.
post #1197 of 1774 Old 12-21-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Wow, strange issue. I haven't bought the power grip yet so there have been no problems with me playing the new LBP2 DLC.

I have to say, even though this add-on was farmed out to a different developer, they did a pretty nice job with the first Cross-Controller gameplay. There is pretty much no lag controlling your Sackboy on screen with the Vita, and the tilt/touch play mechanics are mostly well done and intuitive. I want to see more of this in future titles.

post #1198 of 1774 Old 12-21-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I can verify it's not the Power Grip. The problem is there either way.

When it's all working, you are right. There is no lag at all, it's just like using the DS controller.
post #1199 of 1774 Old 12-21-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

post #1200 of 1774 Old 12-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Looks like Tokyo Jungle now supports Remote Play too:

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/281300334591238145
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation Vita Wifi , Playstation Vita The Walking Dead Bundle

User Tag List