post #1771 of 1797 Old 09-11-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Thanks for the tip. I guess I didn't realize the 3G SIM card and the regular Vita memory card are one and the same. But that does make sense, as I probably haven't been as careful as I could be in ensuring the memory cards I'm switching in and out are completely free of "crud." Now I just need to figure out the best way to clean the slot. Any suggestions?
Ooops, didn't mean to imply that they are the same slot. The SIM slot is on the left of the unit, and protected by a rubber cover. Still wouldn't hurt to blow it out with some compressed air, lightly if possible. Depending on the detection circuitry, even some small dust can cause problems. My MOTO G cell phone sometimes has problems detecting the insertion of headphones (widely reported issue), and even though I can't see anything in the jack, the problem always clears after blowing it out. Hope your problem is as simple as that.

bg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1797 Old 09-11-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post
Ooops, didn't mean to imply that they are the same slot. The SIM slot is on the left of the unit, and protected by a rubber cover. Still wouldn't hurt to blow it out with some compressed air, lightly if possible. Depending on the detection circuitry, even some small dust can cause problems. My MOTO G cell phone sometimes has problems detecting the insertion of headphones (widely reported issue), and even though I can't see anything in the jack, the problem always clears after blowing it out. Hope your problem is as simple as that.
Me too. Thanks!
post #1773 of 1797 Old 09-15-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciab View Post
Happy to report the fix turned out to be simple after all. Either actually doing what the error message kept accusing me of doing (removing the SIM card while the Vita was powered on) or blowing air into the SIM card slot solved my problem. Thanks again!
post #1774 of 1797 Old 09-16-2014, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I had no idea there was a dedicated Vita thread here!! Very happy to see it though. I've had my Vita since launch and absolutely love it. I honestly think I play it more than any other system I own, and have an absolutely massive backlog.

Just started up Don't Starve. Played a bit of this when it came out on PS4, but it just seems so perfect for the Vita. That seems to happen quite a bit. Even though a lot more games are cross-buy, I will probably only play them on the Vita.
post #1775 of 1797 Old 10-03-2014, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The PS Vita has been updated to 3.30 and with the update comes slighting better web browsing and the ability to use themes.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/...e-update-3-30/

Here's a video I quickly did.

These are just the 2 free ones.

Japan has one paid theme which is Danganronpa.
post #1776 of 1797 Old 10-12-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 960
post #1777 of 1797 Old 11-08-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 278
60 pages deep, probably not going to read most of this thread...
I'm gearing up to buy a Vita bundle on BF. Any tips on additional purchases? Also, should I disregard the chatter on OLED old vita vs new vita?

Was going to get the PS Vita TV until some of my trusted sources on here said the game streaming was better on the Vita.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #1778 of 1797 Old 11-08-2014, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post
I'm gearing up to buy a Vita bundle on BF. Any tips on additional purchases? Also, should I disregard the chatter on OLED old vita vs new vita?

Was going to get the PS Vita TV until some of my trusted sources on here said the game streaming was better on the Vita.
There's a really good reddit /r/vita

I've been liking Freedom Wars recently.
post #1779 of 1797 Old 11-08-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

I'll have more thoughts on this later but you can't go wrong with either model. Also the PS TV had an update that totally fixed remote play.
post #1780 of 1797 Old 11-09-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post
There's a really good reddit /r/vita

I've been liking Freedom Wars recently.
I kept looking at your post wondering who "this guy" was that I've never seen in the PS4 thread...then I realized it was you with a different avatar. ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post
I'll have more thoughts on this later but you can't go wrong with either model. Also the PS TV had an update that totally fixed remote play.
Thanks Macello! I had indeed read the last couple pages about the update. How does the DS4 sync to a PS TV in a secondary room if the DS4 is still in distance to the PS4?

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #1781 of 1797 Old 11-09-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
You just plug it in with a USB cable.

Honestly though, remote play isn't that great on the Vita or PS TV. If Sony could get it to work as well as the Wii U, I could recommend it -- but it doesn't. If you're thinking of buying either mainly for remote play, reconsider.

As a portable gaming device, the Vita is great, but Sony isn't putting much support behind it anymore. I bought PS TV mainly just to play Vita, PSP and PS One classics on a big screen with a real controller.

Last edited by Mikazaru; 11-09-2014 at 07:36 AM.
post #1782 of 1797 Old 11-09-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I completely disagree. Remote play is the best thing about the Vita, besides all the great games. In fact, I'm shocked at how well it works over the internet at my work. I knock out all of my Destiny daily public events and a few bounties every morning at work (no one is there between the time I get there and 9 am at the earliest.) I've even played a multiplayer from work (no, I'm not nearly as good as being on the console, but I've done a significant amount of bounties that way.)

And if you know how to compensate for the tiny bit of lag, you can remote play any game on your home network except for the most grueling shooters. I remote played the majority of Trials Evolution and most of the side quests in Assassin's Creed Black Flag this way, as well as most of my smaller games. Driveclub is even playable on it, but not if you're going for your absolute best. You just need to pick the game you're remote playing, is all.

It is true switching the controller is as simple as plugging the USB in on the system and hitting the PS button.
post #1783 of 1797 Old 11-10-2014, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post
As a portable gaming device, the Vita is great, but Sony isn't putting much support behind it anymore.
Sony is bailing on the Vita already?
post #1784 of 1797 Old 11-10-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
Sony is bailing on the Vita already?
I think they aren't talking about it but they sure are putting a lot of games out on it.
post #1785 of 1797 Old 11-10-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually, I agree that the support from Sony of North America has been pretty bad. There are tons of new games coming out, but a lot of them are Japanese games (not saying that's a bad thing) and not that many first party titles. SCEA really pushes it as a companion to the PS4 more than its own device, and that's a shame.
post #1786 of 1797 Old 11-10-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, there are a lot of Japanese and small indie-type games for the Vita, but I don't know of any more big AAA games (geared for western audiences) in the pipeline. Killzone Mercenary is probably going to be the high-water mark as far as console-quality games go. Maybe if enough people buy the Vita for indies and remote play, the install base will get to the point where it is worthwhile for Sony and other developers to invest more into the platform.

As far as remote play goes, the quality of your experience probably depends on your network environment. If I connect directly to the PS4 or am close to the router, it can be pretty good. I should hook up the wifi extender that was included with my internet package, but my home isn't wired for ethernet (don't want a wire going up and down my stairs). If it's possible to connect both your PS4 and PS TV wired, your experience will probably be far superior to mine.

Also, though I do have FTTH, the places that I've tried remote-play with my Vita over the internet may not have had particularly good broadband.

Last edited by Mikazaru; 11-10-2014 at 02:23 PM.
post #1787 of 1797 Old 11-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 32
That's the thing that bugs me w/ Sony - they launch console products w/ a bunch of fanfare and then watch them die on the vine due to lack of feeding. PS Move from last gen comes to mind. Now the Vita this year. Didn't they give up on the other handheld too early into it? I can't recall that far back.

Thankfully the PS4 is selling enough that they are not ignoring it.
post #1788 of 1797 Old 11-10-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I will add to my remote play experience that I bought an Asus gaming router for my room just so I could be in proximity to it when remote playing from bed and so I could hard wire the PS TV (already had a wire running there for my Mac.) The wireless in the Vita is weak as hell. If they had added 5 Ghz to the new Vitas, I would have thrown my Vita 1000 into the trash like an atom bomb, OLED or not.
post #1789 of 1797 Old 11-10-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I still love mine. My PC time at home is limited with being a parent so the Vita fits nicely. That Nvidia remote thing is appealing also.
post #1790 of 1797 Old 11-10-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I've been using the Vita daily to do public events and bounties in Destiny. As others have commented, your experience will be entirely dependent on the strength of your network. If the connection is strong, it's awesome. If the connection is iffy, it simply crashes and disconnects.

Hotline Miami is by far my favorite game on the Vita. It just isn't the same on a console. Hotline Miami 2 cannot get here soon enough!

------------------------------------
PSN/XBO: frankthetoad
post #1791 of 1797 Old 11-10-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I recommend getting a grip for the Vita. Much easier to hold for extended periods of time. Playing shooters that use the shoulder buttons a lot always caused the Vita to slip for me without the grip. It's also just more comfortable. I'd link mine, but it was for the OLED model.

Also, I hope you've been adding Vita titles from Plus to your download queue. A lot of great games have been offered free over the past two years. I regret a few I failed to add before getting a Vita.
post #1792 of 1797 Old 11-11-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just to add to the above - get the biggest memory card you can afford. Either a 32 GB locally or import a 64 GB from Japan, which will work fine. This is especially true if you have been amassing PS+ titles. Far better than having to constantly juggle things on your card.

Yeah, they are over-priced, but having the space is so worth it.
post #1793 of 1797 Old 11-12-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Just to add to the above - get the biggest memory card you can afford. Either a 32 GB locally or import a 64 GB from Japan, which will work fine. This is especially true if you have been amassing PS+ titles. Far better than having to constantly juggle things on your card.

Yeah, they are over-priced, but having the space is so worth it.
You can get the 64 GB with Amazon Prime for $95 or even for around $80 if you search around and can wait a bit longer. I've only got a few GBs left on it.
post #1794 of 1797 Old 11-12-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

It's baffling to me that the 64 GB cards still aren't available in retail stores here (had to go the Amazon route too). I thought SCEA was just waiting for PS TV, but was wrong. And still no colour variations on the Vita 2000. I wouldn't mind having another Vita, just not another black one.
post #1795 of 1797 Old 11-12-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Sony of NA hates the Vita. Also, the black and pink Vita is strangely appealing to me as a straight man. Look at it. Seriously, look at it.

I would have bought an import if O and X weren't switched on it at the system level and for some games (not all.)
post #1796 of 1797 Old 11-12-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Wait for Black Friday to buy memory cards. I remember some really good deals last year for them (kicked myself for not waiting ).
post #1797 of 1797 Old 11-12-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Wait for Black Friday to buy memory cards. I remember some really good deals last year for them (kicked myself for not waiting ).
I got 4, 8 gig cards at best buy for like 10 bucks each on a clearance shelf.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation Vita Wifi , Playstation Vita The Walking Dead Bundle

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page