post #181 of 1764 Old 01-21-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

If presented in the right way--with the right features, the right games, and the right price--I would absolutely buy one. But at launch, it has none of those things. I wonder, though, how much Sony is counting on early adopters to float the device until they can make it more appealing to a wider audience? I just don't think the usual early adopter crowd is all that interested.

Number1laing made what I believe is a good point earlier( and this applies to me): there's a number of games that I would probably buy if I owned the system, but they're not games that would make me rush out to buy a Vita just to play them. Mind you, I did recently see a video for Gravity Rush and( while not a system seller) I can easily see that being the first game I buy. Uncharted, Hot Shots Golf, Mortal Kombat, all on my list.....but I'm not forking out $250+ memory card for those games. I expect a number of those games to be discounted by the time we get to the 2012 Xmas holidays, so I'm more than content to wait( and to let the early adopter crowd play the guinea pig role). I've got plenty in the meantime to keep me occupied, games for xbox 360/ps3 that I haven't even opened yet.

You could be right regarding the early adopter: I suspect the Vita may be 'on the radar' for many gamers, but it's not necessarily something you feel compelled to rush out and buy right now. The PSP didn't have this much mobile competition when it launched: smartphones, tablets have taken hold in the 'portable entertainment' arena. Now, I'm not of the mindset that IOS/android games will outright replace games with a traditional button-control interface, but they are certainly appealing to the casual gamer who just wants a game of Angry Bird on their coffee break or while using the bathroom. And, there are some good games outside the Angry bird type stuff, particular games that take advantage of the touch interface.

Bottomline, the Vita so far is just an evolution of the PSP: a few more bells and whistles, the expected graphical leap, but something I can wait on. I've been playing games for too long now to be impressed by anything that isn't truly a revolutionary piece of hardware tech, with some compelling software that I haven't played in some form 100 times before.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1764 Old 01-21-2012, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonyeuw View Post

Number1laing made what I believe is a good point earlier( and this applies to me): there's a number of games that I would probably buy if I owned the system, but they're not games that would make me rush out to buy a Vita just to play them. Mind you, I did recently see a video for Gravity Rush and( while not a system seller) I can easily see that being the first game I buy.

For me, it's Sound Shapes. Jonathan Mak sold me on the PS3 with his Everyday Shooter, so why not sell me a Vita, too?

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #183 of 1764 Old 01-22-2012, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

For me, it's Sound Shapes. Jonathan Mak sold me on the PS3 with his Everyday Shooter, so why not sell me a Vita, too?

Not familiar with that one, I'll check out some gameplay vids on youtube.

post #184 of 1764 Old 01-22-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 46
According to a couple of articles I've read Vita sales in Japan have dropped sharply, to the point where the original PSP is outselling it.

For me, the Vita is simply too expensive a proposition for a handheld: $250 for the device, $50 for games and ridiculously overpriced memory cards. I could care less about its internet or touchscreen functionality. I'm most interested in the games and I just don't see enough here to make me want to buy one, especially given Sony's history of releasing a few interesting titles at launch and then nothing noteworthy for months on end. Unless Sony seriously rethinks its pricing strategy this will end up being another PSP Go.
post #185 of 1764 Old 01-22-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

$50 for games and ridiculously overpriced memory cards. .

This gets overstated. One title is $50, and a memory card will set you back $20.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #186 of 1764 Old 01-22-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

This gets overstated. One title is $50, and a memory card will set you back $20.

My bad; I was browsing around and noticed that the Uncharted game for Vita was $50. Taking a closer look I see most games going for $40 is is better but still high for a handheld in my opinion.

As far as the memory cards go, yes I saw a 4GB card for $20, but that is still off-putting to me. Memory is cheap and it could not have cost Sony much to add even 512mb of internal memory just to save a game or two.
post #187 of 1764 Old 01-22-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
http://www.megagames.com/news/ps-vit...t-usd-160-only

Well, the good new for you wait'n-see-guys is that the estimated cost of materials on the Vita is around $160. So, unlike the launch PS3, Sony is probably making a bit of money on the Vita and there is room for an early price drop a la 3DS.

Since I was going to buy Uncharted anyways, the deal that I got is worth being an early adopter (Wi Fi Only Model First Edition Bundle plus Uncharted for $300).

Number1laing, if I had a 3DS, I would probably wait too.
post #188 of 1764 Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's some Unit 13 co-op play.

Next best thing to an Okami port.

Sound Shapes Overview

Sound Shapes Gameplay
post #189 of 1764 Old 01-22-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikazaru View Post

http://www.megagames.com/news/ps-vit...t-usd-160-only

Well, the good new for you wait'n-see-guys is that the estimated cost of materials on the Vita is around $160. So, unlike the launch PS3, Sony is probably making a bit of money on the Vita and there is room for an early price drop a la 3DS.

Since I was going to buy Uncharted anyways, the deal that I got is worth being an early adopter (Wi Fi Only Model First Edition Bundle plus Uncharted for $300).

Number1laing, if I had a 3DS, I would probably wait too.

Cost of parts =/= cost of device.

You're not factoring in R&D, Manufacturing, Or Marketing (and probably other things as well). I don't believe Sony will make money on any (singular) handheld for a while at least.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #190 of 1764 Old 01-22-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post

Cost of parts =/= cost of device.

You're not factoring in R&D, Manufacturing, Or Marketing (and probably other things as well). I don't believe Sony will make money on any (singular) handheld for a while at least.

Yeah, I know (it's in the link) -- that's why I said "Sony is probably making a bit of money" rather than "Sony is making $140 per unit". I don't expect a $80 price cut like the 3DS, but they can probably manage 20-$25, just to satisfy the people who are now expecting it.

I personally think that the Vita is well worth the price of admission. But judging by the responses in this thread, I'm in the minority.
post #191 of 1764 Old 01-22-2012, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I think you'd sooner see a 4gb memory card packed in, or 'something' to increase the value of the $250 package. If I had to guess,Sony has alot more wiggle room to bundle in their own proprietary memory cards than to do a straight price-cut.

post #192 of 1764 Old 01-22-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Yeah, I know (it's in the link) -- that's why I said "Sony is probably making a bit of money" rather than "Sony is making $140 per unit". I don't expect a $80 price cut like the 3DS, but they can probably manage 20-$25, just to satisfy the people who are now expecting it.

I personally think that the Vita is well worth the price of admission. But judging by the responses in this thread, I'm in the minority.

I am with you on price of admission. I want it, and will get one by the end of February.

Quote:

I think you'd sooner see a 4gb memory card packed in, or 'something' to increase the value of the $250 package. If I had to guess,Sony has alot more wiggle room to bundle in their own proprietary memory cards than to do a straight price-cut.

Agreed. I would expect adding value like the 4gb memory card rather than an actual price cut.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #193 of 1764 Old 01-22-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2012...ustom-firmware

Remote play for PS3 games with the Vita seems to work fine via CFW (on the PS3).
post #194 of 1764 Old 01-22-2012, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Remote play for PS3 games with the Vita seems to work fine via CFW (on the PS3).

Promising thought it may be, Sony doesn't have a good track record on this front. Regardless, it is the thing I'm most hoping for in Vita's (legitimate) future.

post #195 of 1764 Old 01-23-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

Hm, I'd have rather seen the Vita use regular SD cards. When we bought our PSP, we got the Ratchet and Clank pack, which came with one 1GB card. We used that 1GB for about a month, and then it was pretty worthless, had to get a larger card. We currently have a 16gb card in the PSP, I just checked prices and a 16gb Memory Stick Pro Duo is just under $30. Even that's too expensive compared to what the SD cards go for. Throw in one of those proprietary cards but make it 16gb. You'll see why when you start buying all your games from the PSN, not even considering storing movies, music, or whatever else on the device.
post #196 of 1764 Old 01-23-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Hm, I'd have rather seen the Vita use regular SD cards. When we bought our PSP, we got the Ratchet and Clank pack, which came with one 1GB card. We used that 1GB for about a month, and then it was pretty worthless, had to get a larger card. We currently have a 16gb card in the PSP, I just checked prices and a 16gb Memory Stick Pro Duo is just under $30. Even that's too expensive compared to what the SD cards go for. Throw in one of those proprietary cards but make it 16gb. You'll see why when you start buying all your games from the PSN, not even considering storing movies, music, or whatever else on the device.

I think most of us would rather they use what's already out. Hell, make the Vita compatible with Memory stick duo( obviously not happening). You certainly won't see a 16gb card included in any bundle, Sony is charging $59.99 for those. I can sooner see them bundling a 4gb because it sells for peanuts( relative to the price of the other Vita cards, that is), and it would cost them very little to do that, compared to dropping the price. And well, they bundled the lowest memory card with the PSP when it launched (32mb?). I think Sony's plan was to charge a bit less than they probably wanted to for the console ( I suspect they'd have preferred the wi-fi model priced at $299), and make it up on memory cards which some games won't even RUN without, and of course software.

post #197 of 1764 Old 01-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Does Sony realize that this feature would sell a lot more of these things?? I hope it gets implemented... ASAP. Imagine being able to play games at work during lunch? Would be an instant buy for me... hope Sony releases more details soon as from what I read this morning this feature won't be supported for ps3 games officially? I can't justify getting one until this feature is implemented.
post #198 of 1764 Old 01-23-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

I'm still hoping Sony becomes successful in getting Adobe to give Vita Flash support.

Not gonna happen, Adobe is not working on Flash for mobile devices anymore.

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations...ash-focus.html
post #199 of 1764 Old 01-23-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

The 3G pricing plan has changed a bit.

The cheaper option is still $15 a month for 250megs, but now the deluxe plan has changed to $30 a month for 3 gigs.

Add this to the 20MB 3G download limit (useless for downloading most games from the Playstation store) with the limited multiplayer gaming over 3G, and the Vita's 3G portion feels very ill-conceived.

post #200 of 1764 Old 01-23-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post

Does Sony realize that this feature would sell a lot more of these things?? I hope it gets implemented... ASAP. Imagine being able to play games at work during lunch? Would be an instant buy for me... hope Sony releases more details soon as from what I read this morning this feature won't be supported for ps3 games officially? I can't justify getting one until this feature is implemented.

Nice thought, but it'd be a licensing nightmare. Publishers would never agree to it without being able to control how it's used (and how much it costs). And any current PS3 licensing agreements most definitely limit games to the PS3 only. Sony may implement it for its own first-party titles going forward (at a premium), but I don't expect it as a universal or standard feature.

However, knowing that this is even possible suggests that Vita-to-PS3 connectivity has a lot of promise. I'm hoping that we'll at least get PSN titles that play on PS3 and Vita using similar tech. This could be big E3 news if Sony plays its cards right.

post #201 of 1764 Old 01-23-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of bundling memory cards.....

http://www.videogamer.com/news/game_...e_bundles.html

post #202 of 1764 Old 01-23-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

Not gonna happen, Adobe is not working on Flash for mobile devices anymore.

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations...ash-focus.html

I could have sworn Sony was trying to negotiate even after that article was written. Adobe can say one thing but it wouldn't surprise me if Sony would try to put a ton of money on the table just to see if Adobe can allow the Vita to be the last portable to have it.

Nothing wrong with hoping for the best.
post #203 of 1764 Old 01-24-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

Speaking of bundling memory cards.....

http://www.videogamer.com/news/game_...e_bundles.html

I love this part

VideoGamer.com Analysis

While it's great to see GAME offering the 4GB memory card for free, it's not going to take long to fill that space, so a larger capacity card will probably be required in the long term.
post #204 of 1764 Old 01-25-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkoza View Post

I dont even want remote play. I will buy Battlefield 3 Vita separate, if can take it on the go, use my PSN account to whoop ass online, then when I get home, log in and everything I accomplished/unlocked on Vita is now on my PS3. Or take my Skyrim character on the go, work on some quests at lunch at work. Come home, log into PS3, and finish the quests I started at lunch. That's all I want Will gladly dish out another $39.99 for portable PS3 gaming goodness.

Imagine going to some friends house, a few bring their Battlefield 3 VITA's, homeowner on his PS3, and its now a LAN party. That is the dream.

I dont want to buy Battlefield VITA and can only play it with other VITA owners. Lame. No sale.

"I need it. Buy it. Store it." - Tony Stark
post #205 of 1764 Old 01-25-2012, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Wurms excellent idea!

so leave it up to sony to totally screw that up because the idea is to awesome.

when sony adds the feautures in it. will probaly require to totally reroute cables in your house. add a sony special network adapter + sony internetline provider + sony TV + sony router + 10 DLC + passwords codes.

but then your all set!!!!
post #206 of 1764 Old 01-25-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurms View Post

I will buy Battlefield 3 Vita separate, if can take it on the go, use my PSN account to whoop ass online, then when I get home, log in and everything I accomplished/unlocked on Vita is now on my PS3. Or take my Skyrim character on the go, work on some quests at lunch at work. Come home, log into PS3, and finish the quests I started at lunch. That's all I want Will gladly dish out another $39.99 for portable PS3 gaming goodness.

This is my dream, as well. But so far, Sony has only suggested that Vita might do this. The new WipeOut is promising in this respect. But if it only works with a handful of first-party exclusives, there's no point. I'd be willing to pay an extra $10/game for the added ability.

post #207 of 1764 Old 01-25-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurms View Post

I dont even want remote play. I will buy Battlefield 3 Vita separate, if can take it on the go, use my PSN account to whoop ass online, then when I get home, log in and everything I accomplished/unlocked on Vita is now on my PS3. Or take my Skyrim character on the go, work on some quests at lunch at work. Come home, log into PS3, and finish the quests I started at lunch. That's all I want Will gladly dish out another $39.99 for portable PS3 gaming goodness.

Imagine going to some friends house, a few bring their Battlefield 3 VITA's, homeowner on his PS3, and its now a LAN party. That is the dream.

I dont want to buy Battlefield VITA and can only play it with other VITA owners. Lame. No sale.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that Vita has enough horsepower to get a port of the full 12 vs 12 online portion of Battlefield 3. Skyrim, on the otherhand, will probably be quite doable since the 360 version (full install) is only 3.9GB. Warrior's Lair, formerly known as Ruin, demonstrates the use of cloud saves for your (and my) dream scenario.

I hope a portable Skyrim is in the works -- it could be a worldwide system seller. I think a lot of people would like playing some of the more tedious parts of the game (levelling up Enchantment, Smithing etc...) on a Vita version during their lunch break.

Though Vita isn't doing great in Japan at this moment (down to 15000 this week), I think it still has a chance to do well there. Uncharted may be big here, but I don't think it's a system seller in Japan. If Sony could get an exclusive Final Fantasy and/or Monster Hunter game for Vita, it would probably sell like gangbusters. In fact, any of the big jrpg's (Persona, Dragon Quest) would probably be system sellers.

Of course, (depending on the implentation) a CoD or Battlefield game, would be huge over here. One that was cross-platform compatible with the PS3 version would be ideal, but like I said ealier, I'm not sure that Vita has the power to run it (is CoD still 6 vs 6 TDM?).

The Vita could do well in Europe right off the bat, with FIFA being a launch title. Although I'm not interested in the game, I've seen some videos and it looks really well done.
post #208 of 1764 Old 01-25-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure that Vita has the power to run it.

I'm not really up on my hardware specs, but isn't a quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore CPU plus a quad-core GPU SGX543MP4+ for graphics pretty good?

post #209 of 1764 Old 01-25-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I'm not really up on my hardware specs, but isn't a quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore CPU plus a quad-core GPU SGX543MP4+ for graphics pretty good?

Yeah, you know what, I'm really not sure. I know Vita is powerful, but I don't think that it's quite "a portable PS3". Similarly, the PS3 seems pretty powerful, but compared to a gaming PC, it isn't (ie. Battlefield 3 PC supports 64 players, but the PS3 version only supports 24).

I remember playing some Resistance Retribution multiplayer and I believe it supported only 4 players. I'm not sure if the PSP's power or awful wi-fi was the limiting factor though. I know the Vita is a lot more powerful than the PSP, but the fact that Unit 13 only has 2 player co-op multiplayer leads me to believe that it can't run something like the 24 player multiplayer of Battlefield 3 (maybe CoD, with it's lower player cap is possible). Golden Abyss and Resistance Burning Skies are rumored to be getting multiplayer, but I have my doubts that they will be cross compatible with the PS3 versions. Wipeout (both versions) is a great looking game, but I don't think the requirements to run it are all that high. Strangely enough, Modnation Racers Vita, will not have online multiplayer at launch (the developers are reconsidering because of the public outcry).

On the other hand, Dust 514 (an FPS/MMO hybrid) is supposed to be coming to Vita, so I could be completely wrong.

Edit: I was wrong -- I looked it up and Resistance Retribution on the PSP had 8 player multiplayer. Maybe a Vita/PS3 cross-platform FPS is possible afterall.
post #210 of 1764 Old 01-25-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Vita is powerful but it's nowhere near a PS3. It is, on paper, maybe twice as powerful as a iPhone 4S. Cell phones coming out next year will be more powerful.

It should be able to handle a 24 player multiplayer game just fine, though. Maybe not Battlefield 3, though.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation Vita Wifi , Playstation Vita The Walking Dead Bundle

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page