Official Playstation Vita Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-18-2011, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 127

While I was cruising the Playstation Blog, waiting for the PSN Store Update, I saw this nice little tidbit (esp. since my birthday is in February ):

Quote:

Get Ready: PS Vita is Coming February 22nd
+ Posted by Jack Tretton // President & CEO

This afternoon on stage at the Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco, I shared some very exciting news that I know the PlayStation Nation has been anticipating since we unveiled PlayStation Vita back in January. For those looking to get their hands on the ultimate in handheld entertainment, I’m thrilled to let you know that starting on February 22, 2012, PS Vita will be available at major retailers in the United States, Canada, Latin America, and Europe.

Our first-party studios and army of publishing partners have been extremely hard at work to ensure that PS Vita launches with a vast library of titles that deliver unique gameplay experiences that go beyond any handheld or mobile device on the market. We have more than 100 games currently in development globally that span many different genres, including Sound Shapes, Resistance: Burning Skies, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Capcom’s Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed, EA Sports’ FIFA, Activision’s Call of Duty, and numerous others that you’ll hear about in the months ahead.

I’ve had the chance to spend some time with several of these titles and I think you’ll be blown away by how each takes advantage of the technology packed into PS Vita to deliver amazing gaming experiences. With its vibrant 5-inch OLED screen, dual analog sticks, dual cameras, and front and rear touch panel, PS Vita will deliver rich, immersive games with stunning graphics, which simply can’t be found anywhere else. Now you’ll be able to play shooters and action titles on-the-go with controls that are familiar, and you won’t have to block out the gorgeous screen to interact with the games.

In addition to the deep portfolio of games, you’ll also have access to native social applications – near and Party – that help you connect with your friends and fellow PS Vita owners. We also recently announced that PS Vita will have your favorite social networking applications like Facebook, foursquare, Skype, and Twitter, so you can share and connect with friends. With PS Vita, you can enjoy the best handheld gaming experience available and stay connected to the people and interests you care about.

It’s never been a better time to be a part of PlayStation Nation and I can’t wait for you to experience this revolutionary handheld system. Stay tuned for more exciting updates as we near the February 22, 2012 launch!

OtherWorlds - My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Faster than I thought. They might have the most titles available day one than any game machine before it.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Old 10-19-2011, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Faster than I thought. They might have the most titles available day one than any game machine before it.

Yeah, it surprised me too. I was thinking it would be March for sure. Just pre-ordered it from Amazon (Wi-fi only model) and Amazon still has the date as March 31st, so I think Sony probably caught a lot of people off-guard with this release date.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 463
I would expect to hear some of those titles delayed past launch. I could have sworn Bioshock was still in planning stages. I just don't expect all those titles to be available at launch.

The 5.0 is here
Old 10-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Need to see confirmed launch titles before I even get interested.

psn: markcusd
X1: MarkcusD
Old 10-20-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^^^^^^
Ask and you shall receive--news for PS Vita Launch titles is beginning to trickle in:

Quote:
PSLS » News » PlayStation Vita
3 Namco Bandai Games Set For Vita Launch Day
10/20/2011 Written by Sebastian Moss

It’s hard to believe that it’s only a few months until the Western launch of the PlayStation Vita, but this February Sony’s greatest handheld will become a reality. If you’re planning to pick up the Vita at launch, be sure to not only set aside some of your Christmas money for the handheld, but also for the onslaught of launch titles.

Namco Bandai has announced that three of their Vita games will be available on February 22nd, 2012 in the US – the same day as the Vita launches. Touch My Katamari, Ridge Racer and Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen will all be available along with the Vita.

Carlson Choi, Vice President of Marketing of Namco Bandai Games America said:

We’re pleased today to officially confirm three titles for the PlayStation®Vita system to gamers across North America excited for the launch of this impressive new handheld gaming device. Between the innovative new gameplay features in the irreverent new Touch My Katamari, the blistering speed and online connectivity of the gorgeous new Ridge Racer, and the intense, open-ended, assassin-based action of Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen, NAMCO BANDAI Games will be delivering top-tier content for the launch of the PS Vita in a very big way.

Ridge Racer, which is co-developed by Namco Bandai Games Inc. and CELLIUS, impressed us at E3, and will be one of the few racing games currently announced for the platform.

Source: Playstation Lifestyle.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

I would expect to hear some of those titles delayed past launch. I could have sworn Bioshock was still in planning stages. I just don't expect all those titles to be available at launch.

I read somewhere (don't have the source handy) that "Bioshock Vita" (for lack of a better name) is still in the planning stage--the paper planning stage. My understanding is that they haven't written any code for the game yet. I wouldn't expect to see anything substantial until after Bioshock Infinite ships.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Here's a look at 8 Vita games, and here's a look at 6 more w/ videos.

Wipeout looks as awesome as I hoped, and damn, I want that "Ruin" game NOW. It's going to be a long half-year wait for Vita.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Got my Amazon pre-order in still. Looks like the first handheld worth owning IMO. PSP was an ergonomic pain and Nintendo makes kiddie crap.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
Old 10-21-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

Looks like the first handheld worth owning IMO. PSP was an ergonomic pain and Nintendo makes kiddie crap.

You forgot to mention the 800lb gorilla in the room. If the Vita can pull me away from my iOS devices, I'll consider it a success.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Old 10-21-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

You forgot to mention the 800lb gorilla in the room. If the Vita can pull me away from my iOS devices, I'll consider it a success.

Crappy games with no button or analog sticks? No thanks, I can only take so much Angry Birds and dumb tilt the screen games, They are great for kids, but no substitute for a real game.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
Old 10-21-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Crappy games with no button or analog sticks? No thanks, I can only take so much Angry Birds and dumb tilt the screen games, They are great for kids, but no substitute for a real game.

I disagree with that. I'm heavily into a couple of mobile games right now. The other night I chose to sit in the livingroom and play Inotia III on my android tablet instead of going down in the basement to play Infamous on the big screen.

Gaming on phones/tablets can be fun and rewarding, and you're not just limited to Angry Birds. Although I will agree that not all game genres lend to good playback on a touchscreen.

-Suntan
Old 10-21-2011, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure what sort of "kids" have iPhones and iPads, but regardless, you're definitely selling the platform short. If you think Angry Birds is all iOS has to offer, you're either unfamiliar with the platform or just not paying attention.

And either way, I'm hoping Vita can differentiate itself enough to justify the added expense of the device ($100-200 more expensive than an iPod Touch, $100 more than a 3DS), the added expense of the games (not yet announced, but certainly more than the $1-10 price of most iOS games), and the added dimensions of the unit (2-3 times the size of a phone or 3DS).

I, for one, am excited to see what Vita can do. I just worry that, like with the first year or two of the PS3, the device is overloaded with hardware features that no one (including developers) will use. The big sell for me will be how well developers integrate cross-PS3 functionality/play.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure what sort of "kids" have iPhones and iPads, but regardless, you're definitely selling the platform short. If you think Angry Birds is all iOS has to offer, you're either unfamiliar with the platform or just not paying attention.

And either way, I'm hoping Vita can differentiate itself enough to justify the added expense of the device ($100-200 more expensive than an iPod Touch, $100 more than a 3DS), the added expense of the games (not yet announced, but certainly more than the $1-10 price of most iOS games), and the added dimensions of the unit (2-3 times the size of a phone or 3DS).

I, for one, am excited to see what Vita can do. I just worry that, like with the first year or two of the PS3, the device is overloaded with hardware features that no one (including developers) will use.

I mostly agree. Although I see the $250 price for the Vita as a decent price, I question the longterm viability with $40-a-game games.

With games like Shadowgun going for $4.99

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4SW9vcCK6i8

and other games like ROc coming out for likely single digit prices,

http://phandroid.com/2011/10/20/race...ls-to-android/

Will these mobile games be a big pull at $40? I'll be interested to see.

Don't get me wrong, a real D pad and analog sticks are much better for gaming, but a tablet or a phone that can do these kinds of games already (and 4 core devices are just around the corner) I couldn't justify the hassle or the price of having a dedicated mobile game player anymore.

It will be interesting to see how it does though.

-Suntan
Old 10-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Old 10-21-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have a pre-order in for a Kindle Fire. I would gladly cancel it if I knew the Vita would have a native and decent e-reader app. Otherwise it's hard for me to justify getting a Vita as I don't commute/travel much and have plenty of gaming options on my PS3.

Guess I'll just have to wait until a Vita Uncharted Collection for the PS4 is released. lol
Old 10-21-2011, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

I have a pre-order in for a Kindle Fire. I would gladly cancel it if I knew the Vita would have a native and decent e-reader app. Otherwise it's hard for me to justify getting a Vita as I don't commute/travel much and have plenty of gaming options on my PS3.

Vita isn't being marketed in that direction. They're really pushing the "entertainment device" thing to try and avoid comparisons to mobile gaming and e-readers. It'll be gaming focused with some basic media/internet functionality. So it won't really be targeted at those looking to replace their readers and phones.

Sony's best bet is to target existing PS3 owners looking to take that content with them on the road.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I already got my Vita preordered with SFxT and Hot Shots Golf. I will get UMVC3 as well. Can't wait!

I agree with confidenceman, Sony needs to market this as an awesome gaming machine. Try to market it as an all-in one device and they can't keep up with iPad, Fire, etc.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

More Vita Information from Playstation Lifestyle--this time in regards to games that require External Memory Cards:

Quote:

Some PlayStation Vita Games Require External Memory Cards for Save Files
10/21/2011 Written by Anthony Severino

The PlayStation Vita uses a flash memory storage solution for games, allowing for things like DLC and game saves to be saved directly to the game itself. However, some games either won’t support this feature, or have filled the flash memory to the point where additional space isn’t available, forcing you to have an external memory card in order to save your progress.

Were you hoping to avoid purchasing a PlayStation Vita memory card on day one? Then you’ll want to avoid these games, which require a memory card to save data:

@field
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Dream Club Zero
Disgaea 3 Return
Hot Shots Golf 6
Monster Raider
Ridge Racer

However, the following titles all allow save data to be saved directly to the game, which could help you avoid buying a costly memory card at launch:

Asphalt Injection
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
F1 2011
Dynasty Warriors Next
Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru
Dark Quest Alliance
Army Corps of Hell
Shinobido 2
Power Smash 4
Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend
Michael Jackson
Mahjong Fight Club
Let’s Try Bass Fishing Fish on Next
Lord of Apocalypse

It’s worth noting that these are Japanese launch titles, and there is the possibility that something may change for launch outside of Japan. But don’t be stuck without a way to save your game — do yourself a favor and pick up a PlayStation Vita memory card, just to be on the safe side.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

There are plenty of real games on IOS. Admittedly, the virtual controls aren't always a good fit for games with a traditional d-pad/button control interface, but there are some good games to be found that take advantage of the touch scream. 'IOS is Angry Birds and some cheap flash games' is, honestly, a 2010 mentality.

Too many systems and games....not enough time or money!

Old 10-21-2011, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlock View Post

More Vita Information from Playstation Lifestyle--this time in regards to games that require Vita External Memory Cards:

Ugh. Required proprietary storage.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Those Sons-a-bit**es.

Honestly. Boycott that thing until they release a version with an SD slot.

-Suntan
Old 10-21-2011, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 211
A large part of my interest in this is to be able to play existing PSP downloads with a proper analog stick (I bought a Go and a decent number of PSP downloads just to be able to use a PS3 controller while using TV/Out since I can't stand the PSP's nub and largely stuck to games that used the d-pad in UMD form).

So will this thing allow allow multiple PSN accounts, much like the PS3 does. Or will it just be one account per system like the PSP? Have they said anything about this?

When I bought my PSP3000, I was in a rush to play and couldn't remember my PSN log-in info on my PSP1000 and PS3 for my original account, so I created a new one and redeemed the included code for Echochrome without realizing I was limited to 1 account per PSP. So I have two free PSP games on it, thanks to Sony's mishap a few months back, along with the free Echochrome download, while my original account was migrated over to the PSP Go where the bulk of my downloads are.

So I ended up having games on two different PSP accounts because of that. I'd really like to be able to have both my accounts on the Vita at the same time, along with a new European account (I'd like to download Colin McRae 2005 from the Euro store now that there is a Sony handheld with a proper analog stick to enjoy it with in handheld form).
Old 10-21-2011, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

So will this thing allow allow multiple PSN accounts, much like the PS3 does. Or will it just be one account per system like the PSP? Have they said anything about this?

Not sure. But Sony's been surprisingly quiet about things like this. All the more reason to wait a bit.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not sure. But Sony's been surprisingly quiet about things like this. All the more reason to wait a bit.

Already was planning on waiting. The Japanese launch lineup doesn't have anything that I have to have and I really want tv/out capabilities and the ability to link a PS3 controller with it, ala the PSP Go.

So I'm waiting for a few price drops and hopefully a system revision that adds the features I want into this.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The article doesn't say that it the memory is proprietary (yet)--just external. The picture of the flash memory looks like a standard SD card with Playstation/Sony/Vita branding on it. Sony hasn't clarified whether it is proprietary or not.

I did remove the word "Vita" from "Vita Memory Card" to eliminate confusion. The author of the article wanted to make clear that Vita was going to require some sort of external save system for some games in addition to the flash memory on the system itself.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlock View Post

The article doesn't say that it the memory is proprietary (yet)--just external. The picture of the flash memory looks like a standard SD card with Playstation/Sony/Vita branding on it. Sony hasn't clarified whether it is proprietary or not.

True, but not sure why Sony wouldn't want to include their own memory card branded format on a Sony device. I'm guessing that like so much else about the device, they're not really revealing these kinds of details until launch.

EDIT: After some research, it turns out Sony announced at TGS that Vita will be using proprietary storage, and here are the prices they announced for Japan:

- 4GB 2,200 yen (£18 )($29)
- 8GB 3,200 yen (£26.40)($42)
- 16GB 5,500 yen (£45.40)($72)
- 32GB 9,500 yen (£78.30)($120)

And folks at some other gaming forums are posting images of surveys they were sent by Sony asking how much they'd be willing to pay (in American dollars) for proprietary storage. The prices are similar to the above prices in yen.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Well those prices will keep me away for quite a while. A big part of why I want this is to finally play my digital PSP content with a proper analog stick. I'd need 32 gigs just to accomodate my PSP games, my PSN arcade games like Strikers 1945, my NeoGeo & TurboGrafx-16 downloads, and my PSOne downloads and still have some room to spare for Vita stuff.

Makes the decision to wait a while even easier, I suppose. I had hoped Sony had learned their lesson with their expensive proprietary media for the PSP.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Old 10-22-2011, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Well those prices will keep me away for quite a while. A big part of why I want this is to finally play my digital PSP content with a proper analog stick. I'd need 32 gigs just to accomodate my PSP games, my PSN arcade games like Strikers 1945, my NeoGeo & TurboGrafx-16 downloads, and my PSOne downloads and still have some room to spare for Vita stuff.

Well, then, the "good news" for you is that most of that stuff (Neo Geo and TG16 titles, and PSOne Classics) won't be compatible with Vita!

BTW Sony's screwing the pooch by restarting the whole digital compatibility thing (introducing PS Suite as their new standard, and not letting many prior downloads carry over to the new platform). If they really want PSP owners to make the switch, they should really be sweetening the deal rather than souring it.

Tags
Playstation Vita Wifi , Playstation Vita The Walking Dead Bundle