PlayStation Meeting 2013 (PS4 unveiling - conference replay in first post) - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1994 Old 04-04-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

I don't see what their beef is with used games.

Used games have replaced catalog sales. Platform owners and game publishers get nothing instead of $20-$30 on games outside of the release window. Games are now discounted much earlier in their lifespan to compete with the used games that flood the market after the initial wave of people beat the game and sell it off, and that also hurts the bottom line.

That's what their beef is. I am not making an argument for or against used games, mind you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1994 Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

They do this now. You get the code in the new game and have to buy it if not.

That's not what I am talking about. It seems like every game out there has $20-50 worth of DLC that comes out after the game is out. If they are getting paid for every game that is sold since there won't be used copies, then I think they should give people some free DLC.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #363 of 1994 Old 04-04-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

That's not what I am talking about. It seems like every game out there has $20-50 worth of DLC that comes out after the game is out. If they are getting paid for every game that is sold since there won't be used copies, then I think they should give people some free DLC.

Free DLC right now is an incentive to buy new. If the used market goes poof then expect the free DLC to go poof as well.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #364 of 1994 Old 04-04-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

Well they still give free DLC, just not all of it. It is win-win overall. The customers want more content and the publishers/devs get more revenue. I don't see this going away.

Don't expect Bethesda to create six DLC packs for Fallout 4 and give them away. The best way to save is buy the GOTY version a year later. Maybe DLC prices will fall if used sales dry up.

Now playing: Madden, Diablo 3, First Light, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #365 of 1994 Old 04-04-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
More rumors for the thread:

Quote:
The PlayStation 4, reportedly codenamed Orbis, may utilize AMD's A8-3850 APU and Radeon HD 7670 GPU, sources have told IGN, offering the combined performance of both integrated and discrete graphics processors.

According to the official product specs, the A8-3850 packs a quad-core 2.9GHz processor with an integrated graphics chip. The APU will work in tandem with the system's dedicated GPU, the HD 7670, a DirectX 11-enabled card clocked to 1GHz with up to 1GB of dedicated VRAM.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #366 of 1994 Old 04-04-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

At the rate that rumors are flooding out, an E3 announcement seems likely. Odds are some of the rumors are Sony leaks and others are fakes to throw people off. That way Sony can guage the reactions to each one.

To the above specs, throw in 4 gigs of RAM and you have a decent rig. However, it had better have a PS3 inside it for BC otherwise there will be a lot of irate gamers wanting to transfer their PSN purchases over.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #367 of 1994 Old 04-04-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I agree. This is an awful lot of rumors in a short span for an announcement that's 14 months away. They probably want to steal a little Nintendo thunder this year.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #368 of 1994 Old 04-04-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

I agree. This is an awful lot of rumors in a short span for an announcement that's 14 months away. They probably want to steal a little Nintendo thunder this year.

They'd be stupid to step on the Vita's toes with a new console announcement so soon after launch. But Sony's record with marketing and PR isn't great, so being stupid doesn't mean they won't do it. My guess is that for E3, they'll be more focused on Vita titles, Vita/PS3 integration, and The Last of Us/The Last Guardian releases.

And if the rumors are true that Sony is aiming to beat MS to the starting line, a late 2012 tease doesn't seem unreasonable for a mid-to-late 2013 launch. Might see something at Gamescom, TGS, etc. in the fall.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #369 of 1994 Old 04-04-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Doubtful. I'd wager Sony will announce something later in the year (Gamescom, TGS, etc). They'd be stupid to step on the Vita's toes with a new console announcement so soon after launch. If they do announce something, it's an open acknowledgment that the Vita is a failure.

The PSP launched in 2005 stateside, the PS3 was announced at E3 that same year.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #370 of 1994 Old 04-04-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
This latest rumor sounds a lot like the rumor for the next Xbox. If true, I guess it will make things very easy for multi-platform developers.
post #371 of 1994 Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

With both consoles using standard PC parts, it may actually be cheaper to develop games. Without the need to make two or three very different engines for the same game we could see more effort put into other areas. Current graphics are just fine, what needs work is framerates and AA, as pretty as Uncharted 3 is, the jaggies and 30fps hurt it.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #372 of 1994 Old 04-04-2012, 09:48 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

With both consoles using standard PC parts, it may actually be cheaper to develop games. Without the need to make two or three very different engines for the same game we could see more effort put into other areas. Current graphics are just fine, what needs work is framerates and AA, as pretty as Uncharted 3 is, the jaggies and 30fps hurt it.

Then you go for it. Sony and Microsoft are looking right at you.

By the way, I've resisted every game coming out since 2008 for the PS3 because I was pissed off. I knew then and there that most games will be made on behalf of the xbox360, turning my PS3 into an XBOX360 emulator. In addition to most games making me feel NASEOUS ( especially how they all try to make their trailers look like movie trailers. They'll get good eventually, even mroe when movie-tv-theater-book people and so on get into the industry, but whatever for now). And I'm glad I did. Now I've returned and see Batman Arkham at $16.99, Bioshock at $9.00, and Uncharted 2 at $15-$20.

And now I'm pissed off because I don't need a new console just yet. But that's okay. Watching people play walkthroughs with commentaries feels more enjoyable than playing the games themselves. to me. It took me until 2008 to stop buying games. It won't take me that long to decide to skip the PS4 / XBOX720, at least until the price drops alot. Probably when the PS5 comes along?

The current consoles are barely hitting their strides. Developers have barely started getting comfortable developing for them. Give it a few more years, man. You just learned how to dribble the basketball, and then now you have to switch to football? Come on. You just learned how to dribble. Give yourself some time to enjoy that new skill before switching to something else, JACK.

I don't care what anyone says or what games are coming out for the PS4 / XBOX720. I'm out. I bought the PS3 during launch. But I won't do the same for these upcoming consoles. PERIOD...!!!
post #373 of 1994 Old 04-04-2012, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

They'd be stupid to step on the Vita's toes with a new console announcement so soon after launch.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Pimp the Vita until you can't pimp it no more. That handheld deserves a resurgence. I'm expecting a $50 price drop for both versions of the Vita to be announced at e3. With tons of new Vita games coming, and a new, lower price, I think the Vita could get it's mojo back.
post #374 of 1994 Old 04-05-2012, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think the ps3 still has alot of life left it in. Really no point to bring out a even more expensive console. You play a game like "Rage" arguably the best looking game of this generation, do you really need a new console? Not even Uncharted could touch that game in technical visuals running 60fps, dynamic lighting and 720p. The thing is that a game like that are expensive to make and require top notch programmers. MW3 is the biggest game ever and still running on a outdated graphics engine that is over 12 years old, same engine that powered Quake 3. There is alot of improvement left on the ps3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3UY7...ature=youtu.be
post #375 of 1994 Old 04-05-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondaryColors View Post

By the way, I've resisted every game coming out since 2008 for the PS3 because I was pissed off. I knew then and there that most games will be made on behalf of the xbox360, turning my PS3 into an XBOX360 emulator.

WTF is this dribble? It doesn't even make sense...

Now playing: Madden, Diablo 3, First Light, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #376 of 1994 Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Valkyria Chronicles
Assassin's Creed
Final Fantasy XIII
Ratchet and Clank
Infamous
White Knight Chronicles 2 (includes 1)
LA Noire
Fallout 3 / New Vegas
Skyrim
Borderlands
Bayonetta
3D Dot Game Heroes
Red Dead Redemption
Dead Space
Portal
Batman: Arkham

Looking back, there was a lot of great games this gen, and I know I forgot a lot of them and all the stuff I listed can be gotten cheap.

I really look forward to what new IPs next gen will bring about.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #377 of 1994 Old 04-06-2012, 05:08 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

I think the ps3 still has alot of life left it in. Really no point to bring out a even more expensive console. You play a game like "Rage" arguably the best looking game of this generation, do you really need a new console? Not even Uncharted could touch that game in technical visuals running 60fps, dynamic lighting and 720p. The thing is that a game like that are expensive to make and require top notch programmers. MW3 is the biggest game ever and still running on a outdated graphics engine that is over 12 years old, same engine that powered Quake 3. There is alot of improvement left on the ps3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3UY7...ature=youtu.be

I'm quite happy with the PS3. Thanks.
post #378 of 1994 Old 04-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 320
knock it off guys...

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and help support the site. Help Support
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #379 of 1994 Old 04-06-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Here's an interesting quote to get back on track:

Quote:

Discrete sources at GDC also confirmed to the publication that.... various studios are aiming to unveil their next generation software at E3 2012 in June, regardless of whether “Microsoft and Sony are ready or not.”

Source.

I'll be interested to see if any previously announced software makes the jump to the new consoles. There was a big debate at Sony Santa Monica to make God of War II for PS2 or PS3, and it went on so long that Shuhei Yoshida had to step in and make the call. GoWII was probably a better game for staying put, but there might be some ideas that would work better on more powerful machinery. Any thoughts on announced games that might take advantage/risk of being a launch game for PSNext?

Speaking of software, I think it's interesting that the new consoles (rumored) launch will happen when the next non-Treyarch COD game hits stores. If the rumors become fact then Activision has some big decisions ahead.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #380 of 1994 Old 04-06-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

This could get really interesting. Publishers could force MS/Sony's hands. MS really put themselves in an awkward position by already saying publicly that they won't announce a new console at E3. I suppose they could get around their statement by just announcing something before E3.

Also, didn't Epic already show off their next-gen console engine? Doesn't seem unreasonable that others would do likewise. Anything we see at E3 would just be a best guess anyway since none of it would be anywhere near release. I suppose they could always just say "coming to next gen consoles" and not be specific. Then neither Sony nor MS would have to acknowledge anything.

post #381 of 1994 Old 04-06-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:

This could get really interesting. Publishers could force MS/Sony's hands. MS really put themselves in an awkward position by already saying publicly that they won't announce a new console at E3. I suppose they could get around their statement by just announcing something before E3.

Also, didn't Epic already show off their next-gen console engine? Doesn't seem unreasonable that others would do likewise. Anything we see at E3 would just be a best guess anyway since none of it would be anywhere near release. I suppose they could always just say "coming to next gen consoles" and not be specific. Then neither Sony nor MS would have to acknowledge anything.

But why would they? A lot of publishers still have a lot of games releasing. Again Halo 4 for MS is a big deal and games like Far Cry 3 and others unannounced for this year will be the focus on systems that are still selling very well.

The 5.0 is here
post #382 of 1994 Old 04-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Bickering posts removed.

Further off-topic posting will result in loss of posting privileges in this thread.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #383 of 1994 Old 04-06-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoza_43221 View Post

Fine make fun of SecondaryColors with your big brain and your grammar, and your fancy book learning.

So he doesn't "wear clothes' that fit him",
He' not a "Heartbreaker",
He's hasn't had "sex with a woman",
He's doesn't know "how that works",
He's not "hygienic",
He's doesn't "own a toothbrush",
He's doesn't "wipe properly",
He's lacks "style",
He's doesn't have "self-esteem",
He's got no "charisma",
He's can't "reach all the parts of his body",
He's doesn't "fall in line" with your logical thinking.

But you know what he does have confidenceman. He has a properly calibrated display that he can play PS3 games from 4 years ago on and you can never take that away from him.

Damn I miss Chris Farley! He would've loved a PS3!
post #384 of 1994 Old 04-06-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

But why would they? A lot of publishers still have a lot of games releasing.

Gamers are a fickle bunch. And publishers know that. Everyone seems to be itching for next-gen news. Badly.

And it's certain that all the big studios are already at work on next-gen projects. The transition is already underway. The question is whether or not we'll see any teasers, trailers, or even demos at E3. With everyone chomping at the bit for next-gen news--no matter how small or insignificant--why not just toss out a CG trailer or, hell, just the title of a game in development?

Depending on the studio, folks might go nuts. Just look at what Rockstar was able to do by releasing a GTAV trailer. Imagine Epic announcing a new multiplatform project for next-gen systems. Or imagine that Respawn (the former Infinity Ward guys) announce the title of a next-gen shooter. Easy enough to do. And they'd get a huge response. All without even having to announce what particular system they're for. Just say "coming to all next gen platforms." I mean, GTAV has yet to be announced for any particular system. For all we know, it could be for next-gen consoles. And that announcement didn't compromise Sony's or MS's next-gen plans or announcements.

post #385 of 1994 Old 04-10-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gamers are a fickle bunch. And publishers know that. Everyone seems to be itching for next-gen news. Badly.

And it's certain that all the big studios are already at work on next-gen projects. The transition is already underway. The question is whether or not we'll see any teasers, trailers, or even demos at E3. With everyone chomping at the bit for next-gen news--no matter how small or insignificant--why not just toss out a CG trailer or, hell, just the title of a game in development?

Depending on the studio, folks might go nuts. Just look at what Rockstar was able to do by releasing a GTAV trailer. Imagine Epic announcing a new multiplatform project for next-gen systems. Or imagine that Respawn (the former Infinity Ward guys) announce the title of a next-gen shooter. Easy enough to do. And they'd get a huge response. All without even having to announce what particular system they're for. Just say "coming to all next gen platforms." I mean, GTAV has yet to be announced for any particular system. For all we know, it could be for next-gen consoles. And that announcement didn't compromise Sony's or MS's next-gen plans or announcements.

This is nothing new with Rockstar releasing teaser trailers. I highly doubt that GTA IV could be thought as being an actual next gen secret in the open. As far as Epic goes this is them promoting their latest engine to other developers. A CG trailer isn't going to do squat to excite the world about a next gen systems that haven't been officially announced. I mean we already saw what an actual announcement did to Nintendo announcing the Wii U. We now have Sony doubling their forecast for losses. I highly doubt MS or Sony are going to announce anything or hint anything at E3 until 2013. Vita, losses and restructuring goals are Sony's priority. Announcing a new system this year would be bad for the profitable current PS3 and just plain stupid IMO after a couple of months of Vita being on the market. Your doubling your forecast for losses and Vita is not doing as expected and as a company you want to announce something next gen to most likely further possible losses? That's not a restructuring. That is still riding the same path that took them from a 200 billion dollar company in 2000 to just 20 billion today for what possible gain cause you showed a teaser trailer. Epic already did this. Good Morning America and Today are not getting all excited like the Kinect. It will happen but not this year IMO.

The 5.0 is here
post #386 of 1994 Old 04-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Another point of view on the rumored used game ban on next-gens.
http://www.slashgear.com/why-next-ge...ames-07221982/

He probably makes a good point. Also, I don't expect to hear much of an announcement from MS or Sony on next-gen. It hurts current gen sales too much. If hypothetically, Microsoft announced their next-gen console as coming out this fall, then Sony would announce theirs, among a ton of hype with some features that might not even make it into the final product (dual HDMI anyone?), before the Microsoft one actually went on sale, to try to influence people to hold off. With neither console announced or imminent though, an announcement now would just incentivise people to hold off on current-gen console purchases. Which would be a bad idea, now that the consoles are finally in the profitable stage of their life cycle.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #387 of 1994 Old 04-11-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

Another point of view on the rumored used game ban on next-gens.
http://www.slashgear.com/why-next-ge...ames-07221982/

The argument in that piece comes down to just this one sentence:
Quote:

At the end of the day, Microsoft and Sony need to limit risk when they launch new consoles.

Hardly a convincing argument. Too vague. I agree with the sentiment, though.

As for me personally, I don't think Sony or MS would lock out used game sales, at least not in the absolutist way that everyone fears. I don't think there will be anything inherent to the hardware that'll prevent used games from working. I think it will continue to be something that publishers themselves have to deal with on the software side.

Some of the things that these rumors claim (that Sony will lock content so that used games are more like rentals) would work just as well at the software level, implemented by individual publishers. There's simply no need for the hardware to lock anything out. It just doesn't make sense.

post #388 of 1994 Old 04-11-2012, 10:50 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:

Some of the things that these rumors claim (that Sony will lock content so that used games are more like rentals) would work just as well at the software level, implemented by individual publishers. There's simply no need for the hardware to lock anything out. It just doesn't make sense.

It does for the game publishers. The console manufactures fall on the blade, and the publishers get to claim it's not their fault and keep a relationship with retail / gamestop.

Ultimately publishers need to take the reigns and do something about gamestop.

Every dollar lost on a used game sale is being funneled to shareholders instead of being reinvested in the industry as a purchase. Gamestop, because of their near monopoly, really is hurting the industry. Not because of outright used game sales, but because they're skimming way, way, way too much off the top in their model.

When you sell your game for $5 and they sell it for $45, that's a lot of money leaving the industry that isn't being turned into other purchases, but pure profit to shareholders.

Equalizing that discrepancy between what they give you vs what they sell it for alone will put more money into the system as gamers have more value to buy new.

Publishers aren't at fault either. I've long wondered why they haven't set up their own customer loyalty operations where you trade in old games and get credit for DLC, points towards new games, web 2.0 rep, ect in some sort of buy back / rewards program. Think how credit cards loyalty programs work.

It be a win for them as they get used games back directly, taking them out of circulation, while offering value to their customers in a variety of different ways.

To bring back an old argument, car dealerships do this with old, used cars to get them off the market. Trade in you old car for a loyalty credit off a new purchase. The dealership then can sell the car in the secondary market to make an additional buck, or if it's not valuable enough sell it for scrap.

If publishers are getting pissy about the secondary market, they need to change their model to be part of that market, or STFU. It wouldn't take much effort with the web and cheap shipping options now a days.
post #389 of 1994 Old 04-11-2012, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

"Publishers aren't at fault either. I've long wondered why they haven't set up their own customer loyalty operations where you trade in old games and get credit for DLC, points towards new games, web 2.0 rep, ect in some sort of buy back / rewards program. Think how credit cards loyalty programs work"

How can we expect publishers for games to even do this with the high risk involved? Not every game sales like COD for a publisher to give away DLC or points when the goal is profitability. That is probably why they haven't done it in the first place. Credit card companies can do that because they generate money from interest and part of a bank with incentive options that go in their favor. Your talking about a game that isn't guaranteed to have success on the market based on timing, competition and overall interest. Dealerships and credit card companies don't deal with this in the same way.

The 5.0 is here
post #390 of 1994 Old 04-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I can think of one reason as to why they won't block used sales without a fee to unlock in the next Gen. They aren't doing it today. I'm pretty sure Sony and Microsoft could block used discs today with just a firmware update. It wouldn't block previous discs but new discs with the registration protocol.

This would be better for public relations to implement now otherwise the new hardware will get the blame and possibly hurt new hardware sales. However, since they have not done this yet I don't see it happening. I think Sony and Microsoft will be content to just have digital downloads slowly take over disc sales. We, the consumers, will voluntarily forfeit used sales for the convenience of playing off our hard drives.

PSN brakel

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page