PlayStation Meeting 2013 (PS4 unveiling - conference replay in first post) - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1994 Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Bah, too good to be true. He backtracks in this latest tweet after the (predictable) uproar in excitement on the 'net:
Quote:
Please do not read too much into my tweet, I was just showing respect for an episode of The Verge podcast reporting CES, they were so funny.

Yeah, even at face value the economics of it all seemed unlikely. However, these guys should know that at this point if any exec so much as tweets about eating a donut it will be interpreted to mean that Krispy Kreme tech will be included in the final machine. frown.gif

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1994 Old 01-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I remember watching this video and was like "To hell with the gimmicky 3D ********, this thing has some amazing potential if done right and I WANT IT NOW!!":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3003UjOWt2c

It would be too awesome if the PS4 supported it and made it work properly without annoying the person wearing the device, I figured the tech is still not ready, but I hope this is true and Sony would proof me wrong!

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #903 of 1994 Old 01-24-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
^^^^ No. Just no. Casual gamers such as myself are not going to strap a nerd box to their face. I won't do it and I'll bet only a fraction of the gaming population would buy that stupid thing.

500 gigs FTW.
post #904 of 1994 Old 01-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
If they came up with something that's comfortable even for long sessions, why the hell not, I mean even "mainstream" people throw on 3d glasses.

Edit: BTW I wanted this feature to be optional obviously, even 3D games aren't forced.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #905 of 1994 Old 01-24-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
When he said 10,000 development kits got sold, that sounded incredible until I saw that the kits will cost you $300 and for that kind of price, it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of consumers are buying it just to fool around with it.
https://www.oculusvr.com/pre-order/
post #906 of 1994 Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

^^^^ No. Just no. Casual gamers such as myself are not going to strap a nerd box to their face. I won't do it and I'll bet only a fraction of the gaming population would buy that stupid thing.

I know the thing looks very corny, but could you imagine stepping "into" your video game worlds, instead of just looking thru a window on them? Shizz... Give me Fallout 4 working on this thing, and I'm GONE! eek.gif
post #907 of 1994 Old 01-24-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

Pretty much. Ultimately, it amounts to a "peripheral," so it's got a relatively short shelf life. It's not the kind of thing that would lend itself to long play sessions or online play. Just a fun alternative way to play.

Not saying I wouldn't love to give it a shot. We're closer to the VR dream of the '90s, but we've still got a long way to go.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #908 of 1994 Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Pretty much. Ultimately, it amounts to a "peripheral," so it's got a relatively short shelf life. It's not the kind of thing that would lend itself to long play sessions or online play. Just a fun alternative way to play.

Not saying I wouldn't love to give it a shot. We're closer to the VR dream of the '90s, but we've still got a long way to go.

At the same time, imagine pairing it with the Move Sharp Shooter and playing KZ3/BF3/COD?

Instead of a button to sight, you sight the sharpshooter weapon IRL. While behind cover, instead of a view pointing where your gun is, you can peek out, look around, swing the weapon around to your point of view?

Cool stuff, that actually allows you to really play games VERY differently. Still, I tend to agree with the nerd factor. Especially since it's the same virtual gameboy box from 1996... they really need to miniaturize these things if they're ever going to catch on.

No one wants a viewfinder strapped to their head.
post #909 of 1994 Old 01-25-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
I'll admit, I'd love to give it a shot. But imagine what happens to that after it's six months old. The wow factor would be gone. And you'd be stuck having to "strap in" every time you want to play. As the tech now exists, it's a peripheral like any other.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #910 of 1994 Old 01-30-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

I'll admit, I'd love to give it a shot. But imagine what happens to that after it's six months old. The wow factor would be gone. And you'd be stuck having to "strap in" every time you want to play. As the tech now exists, it's a peripheral like any other.

It could really revolutionize sports games. Remember when Visual Concepts tried a 1st person camera in NFL2K5 ? Think about playing a game like NBA 2K13 where it feels like your running around on the court with the other players. Baseball, Soccer, anything you can imagine. Of course, it requires the developer to actually take some time out and develop an "occulus Rift" mode for the game to run in.
post #911 of 1994 Old 01-31-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
post #912 of 1994 Old 01-31-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Hopefully the PS4 is revealed. Now that Ni No Kuni is out I have no other must buy games announced. Everything else is a rental at best.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #913 of 1994 Old 01-31-2013, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16

I'm ready! Hopefully will get a release window, though they may wait for E3. I'm sure we won't get a price.
post #914 of 1994 Old 01-31-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkcusD View Post

I'm ready! Hopefully will get a release window, though they may wait for E3. I'm sure we won't get a price.

Yeah, I highly doubt that. I'll be satisfied with seeing the hardware, controller and some real games running on it.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #915 of 1994 Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 85

Wow. Feb. 20? They weren't kidding when they said they wanted to get out of the gate fast this time around. When they have a PlayStation Meeting its always been a hardware reveal, so I'm pretty confident this will be the same.

Destination PlayStation, the retailer conference, starts on Feb. 25, so the timing is interesting if nothing else. Hopefully they aren't trolling everyone with a "Move 2" announcement or some such. The flames would be unbearable smile.gif

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #916 of 1994 Old 01-31-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If this is anything but the PS4 reveal I will personally burn their headquarters to the ground.

Imagine if they pull an apple and its available to buy in a week?
RadioWonder likes this.

post #917 of 1994 Old 01-31-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Nah, it's no doubt the PS4. They always focus on new hardware stuff at these "PlayStation Meetings". Plus, the link at the official site is titled "Be The First to Know". That isn't a reference to The Last Guardian's release date. smile.gif

Any thoughts on how much they will reveal before E3 in June? The name has to be a given. Perhaps the new controller and some of their 1st party gems (i.e. Gran Turismo 6 in real time). And if they have big news on a partnership of some kind (like my unsubstantiated thoughts on the new system offering SteamBox capabilities), this would be as good a time as any to reveal. The price and release date seem too early to be announced though.

post #918 of 1994 Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
T
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

If this is anything but the PS4 reveal I will personally burn their headquarters to the ground.

Imagine if they pull an apple and its available to buy in a week?

Let's hope they don't adopt the Apple method of innovation. We'll be on PS3.2 PS3.3 etc for like 7 years.
post #919 of 1994 Old 01-31-2013, 07:23 PM

Liked: 832
Hmmm. late Feb announcement, Sept Release in 6 months?

GTA5 confirmed for Sept...

cest possible...
post #920 of 1994 Old 01-31-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Id be surprised if GTA wasnt a launch title....

post #921 of 1994 Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
post #922 of 1994 Old 01-31-2013, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

What happens if it's Vita?
A bloodbath ensues
post #923 of 1994 Old 01-31-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Wall Street Journal's Marketwatch confirms the obvious with a few extra tidbits thrown in. Snippets below:
Quote:
- Sony to unveil next-generation home console at Feb. 20 event

- New Sony console to launch later this year

- New Sony console aims to integrate social gaming features

Sony Corp. is planning to unveil its next-generation home videogame console during a February event, showing off a successor to its current PlayStation 3 system.

The Japanese electronics giant Thursday unveiled plans for a special PlayStation-themed event set for Feb. 20, teasing fans to "see the future" at the event. People familiar with the matter have said the new device will make its debut there, beating Microsoft Corp. to the punch in announcing its own next-generation game machine.

Sony's device will be released later this year, these people said, and will spar against Microsoft's own machine, which is also expected to be released by the holidays.

Quote:
In a nod to the changes afoot in the industry, Sony is planning to incorporate more social gaming aspects into the new machine, people familiar with the matter said. Also, while hardware improvements were a key focus of past console upgrades, Sony is more focused this time on the changes in how users interact with the machine, these people said.

When developing the PlayStation, Sony had considered removing its optical disk drive, opting instead to require gamers to download titles over the Internet, people familiar with the matter said. But concerns over the size of videogame files, and slow web connections in some countries led Sony to scrap the plan, they added. Microsoft made a similar decision for its console as well.

Complicating the design of the new device will be the likely inclusion of chips designed by Advanced Micro Devices Inc., which people familiar with the matter said have been used in prototypes. The chip is separate from the technology Sony currently relies upon for its PlayStation 3, known as the Cell chip, which was developed jointly with International Business Machines Corp. and Toshiba Corp. The move would both introduce compatibility concerns with existing games, built to run on the Cell chip, while also ending a long-running partnership with Nvidia Corp., which supplies graphics chips for the current PlayStation.

In Sony's efforts to beef up its videogame offerings, it purchased Gaikai Inc. for $380 million last year. The company lets gamers play visually sophisticated games through a Web browser, without the need for specialized hardware or graphics circuits. Gaikai's technology runs games run in a data center and then streamed the images over the Internet.

post #924 of 1994 Old 01-31-2013, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

post #925 of 1994 Old 01-31-2013, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 547
That image is pretty funny.

I am building a pretty decent console war image collection. But most are Nintendo related so far. Some also have mild language in the captions, what are the rules on that kind of stuff?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #926 of 1994 Old 01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

That image is pretty funny.

I am building a pretty decent console war image collection. But most are Nintendo related so far. Some also have mild language in the captions, what are the rules on that kind of stuff?

Actually, you normally don't see animated gifs on avs, but I couldn't help myself, lol....

I'm probably in violation of something by posting it. Man, some of the neogaf threads on this stuff just have me rolling around on the floor laughing at all the crazy gifs they think up. They have some of the craziest stuff that will just make you really start busting up with laughter.. I probably would avoid posting anything that is console war related. For some reason it seems to be verboten on this site. It's kinda strange considering this is avs and most of us are adults older than 23. You'd think we could have intelligent discussions back and forth without anybody getting their feelings hurt. I've always thought that fanboys were teenagers that could only afford to have one console, and they have to defend that one console to the death, because that' s the only one they are going to get. Usually when you get to be an adult, and you start working and earning a living, that stuff falls by the wayside.
post #927 of 1994 Old 02-01-2013, 03:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Actually, you normally don't see animated gifs on avs, but I couldn't help myself, lol....

I'm probably in violation of something by posting it. Man, some of the neogaf threads on this stuff just have me rolling around on the floor laughing at all the crazy gifs they think up. They have some of the craziest stuff that will just make you really start busting up with laughter.. I probably would avoid posting anything that is console war related. For some reason it seems to be verboten on this site. It's kinda strange considering this is avs and most of us are adults older than 23. You'd think we could have intelligent discussions back and forth without anybody getting their feelings hurt. I've always thought that fanboys were teenagers that could only afford to have one console, and they have to defend that one console to the death, because that' s the only one they are going to get. Usually when you get to be an adult, and you start working and earning a living, that stuff falls by the wayside.

I always thought so too. This place IS different. I even suggested to the mods to merge all the console forums, because everyone is playing the same games on these platforms. It just fragments the discussion and arbitrarily separates people. And you know, we're all adults.....and they seemed to think it was a really bad idea.

Ah well....I'm hoping the reveal is as epic as I'm hoping. Now I wonder how far behind MS is? Once they announce the PS4 there is going to be an absolute flood of next gen game announcements...so do they really want to maintain the facade while Sony gets all the attention?

post #928 of 1994 Old 02-01-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ We're awake - that info was already added 15 posts above. smile.gif

~~~

No console war any where on the internet has been as intense and bloody as the BluRay vs. HD-DVD wars held here at AVS. It was pretty brutal, and once they cleaned it up I'm guessing the mods used that experience as the basis for their current stance of discouraging "war" posts and topics for platforms like video games. As a result, we've seen posts deleted, temp bans and thread bans on posters who violate the rules.

Besides, because cross platform wars are allowed at various sites, it's pretty cool to have options where the main focus is solely on the platform itself.

post #929 of 1994 Old 02-01-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

More rumors... the claim is that the PS4 will be out this year in North America and Japan, but won't release until 2014 in Europe because of the various logistical hurdles they have to leap over first. The article also claims this:
Quote:
Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

post #930 of 1994 Old 02-01-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

More rumors... the claim is that the PS4 will be out this year in North America and Japan, but won't release until 2014 in Europe because of the various logistical hurdles they have to leap over first. The article also claims this:

What could you really do with a touchpad that small? You could barely get a cursor halfway across the screen before hitting the edge. And with it being handheld, I can't imagine it would be stable enough for something as precise as an RTS. I can't think of a good reason not to have it though. As long as they improve the triggers I'm totally fine with the dual shock design.

I'm sure the ps4 will have a real time video encoder, and I bet being able to remotely play your PS4 on a vita will be part of that. But are people really that crazy about streaming over the Internet? Wouldn't you rather be playing the game than watching someone else play?

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page