PlayStation Meeting 2013 (PS4 unveiling - conference replay in first post) - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1994 Old 02-12-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I wish I could come up with enough reasons to buy the Vita. It looks like a good piece of equipment, but I never have time to game on the go, and when I am home I would rather play on the big screen.

I always felt the same way, but with all the good games they're giving away for it on ps plus, and all the cross buy games....I figured I already have 13 games for it, so why not? Good games are good games, even on a small screen. I'll probably never buy a retail vita game but I've already got my money's worth.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1994 Old 02-12-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by brakel View Post

There is also a new thing that I don't know what they call it but you play the game on the PS3 using the Vita as the controller. On the screen of the Vita can be additional gaming info.
They call that cross controller.
post #1173 of 1994 Old 02-12-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Allowing all PS4-run games (including any BC stuff) to be remotely played on the Vita via local streaming would be a very nice perk for both machines. Do it Sony!

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #1174 of 1994 Old 02-12-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I always felt the same way, but with all the good games they're giving away for it on ps plus, and all the cross buy games....I figured I already have 13 games for it, so why not? Good games are good games, even on a small screen. I'll probably never buy a retail vita game but I've already got my money's worth.
That's true. Maybe if the next xbox ends up being a dud and I only buy the PS4 I can justify buying the Vita.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #1175 of 1994 Old 02-12-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 561
I have a 10 game rule before I buy a console. I made this rule after getting all 5 systems last gen in their first year, even with all 5 there were still long droughts. I am hoping this rule will save me from the long droughts. The Vita is up to 8 counting imports from Japan. The 3DS hit 9 when the Zelda bundle came out so I jumped early. The Wii U hit 11 on day one, which made the plan backfire a bit, but there has been plenty to play on it.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #1176 of 1994 Old 02-12-2013, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

The Wii U hit 11 on day one, which made the plan backfire a bit, but there has been plenty to play on it.

You're saying that eleven games on the Wii U are compelling ? I'm currently looking for a cheap Wii U on Craigslist, but one of my worries is that I'll actually get one, and after I'm done with Mario I'll have nothing to play on it. Does the Wii U have any exclusives besides Mario, Nintendoland and Zombie U ?. I'd imagine all the other games to be ports, with most of them being a bit sketchy on the quality side.
post #1177 of 1994 Old 02-12-2013, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

You're saying that eleven games on the Wii U are compelling ? I'm currently looking for a cheap Wii U on Craigslist, but one of my worries is that I'll actually get one, and after I'm done with Mario I'll have nothing to play on it. Does the Wii U have any exclusives besides Mario, Nintendoland and Zombie U ?. I'd imagine all the other games to be ports, with most of them being a bit sketchy on the quality side.

Quite a few are ports or multiplats. A few were also delayed after I payed off my preorder. And a few fell short of my expectations. I picked up 4 games along side my Deluxe, NSMBU, Blops 2, AC3, Sonic Racing. I have been using Gamefly to try the ones I was concerned about. (NG3 being one I was glad I rented) Rayman being delayed twice hurt. (was a launch title when I preordered) and Monster Hunter is still a month out. I have Darksiders 2 at the top of my Q (they sent RE6 and it got lost in the mail, they just shipped it again, so half a month with no rental) Batman AC is a solid title I want to replay, even if the additions are meh. Mass Effect 3 may get a rental as well. I didn't enjoy the ZombiU demo so I am waiting for a price drop. Scribblenauts will also get a discounted buy. There are also the eshop games as well.

The performance issues are largely overblown and Digital Foundry has proven they don't like the Wii U so I don't know how much I trust their analysis anymore. (they butchered the neogaf GPU teardown to spin it to match their original guesses) Most Wii U multiplats are the 360 code dumped onto the system with a few tweaks. They also get always on Vsync, which can lead to a lower framerate on the surface.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1178 of 1994 Old 02-13-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

The bigger worry is what comes next. If Rayman Legends is any sign of what's to come, we can expect a lot more third-party Wii U "exclusives" to start going multiplatform. And if that's the case, there's really not much reason to bother--especially since Nintendo has bled their core franchises dry and all but deserted their fanbase.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #1179 of 1994 Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 215
If you ask me, Rayman Legions was always destined to be multiplatform. I'm not sure what changed to make it not launch exclusively on the Wii U, but I thought it was obvious it would eventually find its way elsewhere after a time.

Ubisoft isn't in the business of producing console exclusives. If they had a hit they were going to want to elsewhere and if even if they had a weak seller, they'd also want to cheaply port it elsewhere in an attempt to make it a success overall.

The only thing that has changed is that they seemingly think it best for the title in general to now launch this Fall on multiple console's. The Wii U delay could be for a multitude of reasons besides being a sign that the Wii U is struggling. They might view a holiday release to be best for the game after it missed the Christmas shopping season last year, they might've greenlit the 360/PS3 ports in time to put the brakes on the Wii U release after it slipped the first time and now feel that it would be best for the game if it saw a simultaneous release, etc.

It doesn't have to mean that they lost confidence on its ability to succeed on the Wii U and feel this step is necessary to rescue its chance at being a sales success. And I'm not sure I see how Nintendo has bled their core franchises dry or that 3rd parties won't want to be there.

It got off to a slow start. Something that I imagine the competition will also be experiencing to a degree in the coming month's. But that's almost meaningless in the grand scheme of things. A console isn't made by the first three months or so on the marketplace.

If it was, we'd be talking about the Sega Dreamcast 3 about now.
post #1180 of 1994 Old 02-13-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

The Wii U version of Rayman is finished, and somehow Ubisoft thinks the game will sell better up against GTA 5 instead of releasing at a time when 3 million Wii U owners are looking for a new game to play. To put it simply, they doomed the game to the bargain bin and cut it's potential sales greatly with this delay. (not one Wii U owner is upset with the multiplatform news, just the delay)

The Wii U is actually doing very well, it's launch numbers were much better than the 360 and PS3, but for some reason publishers don't care, which makes me believe these used game blocks are true and publishers are shafting Nintendo because they didn't do it too.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1181 of 1994 Old 02-13-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

If you ask me, Rayman Legions was always destined to be multiplatform. I'm not sure what changed to make it not launch exclusively on the Wii U, but I thought it was obvious it would eventually find its way elsewhere after a time.

Ubisoft isn't in the business of producing console exclusives. If they had a hit they were going to want to elsewhere and if even if they had a weak seller, they'd also want to cheaply port it elsewhere in an attempt to make it a success overall.

The only thing that has changed is that they seemingly think it best for the title in general to now launch this Fall on multiple console's. The Wii U delay could be for a multitude of reasons besides being a sign that the Wii U is struggling. They might view a holiday release to be best for the game after it missed the Christmas shopping season last year, they might've greenlit the 360/PS3 ports in time to put the brakes on the Wii U release after it slipped the first time and now feel that it would be best for the game if it saw a simultaneous release, etc.

It doesn't have to mean that they lost confidence on its ability to succeed on the Wii U and feel this step is necessary to rescue its chance at being a sales success. And I'm not sure I see how Nintendo has bled their core franchises dry or that 3rd parties won't want to be there.

It got off to a slow start. Something that I imagine the competition will also be experiencing to a degree in the coming month's. But that's almost meaningless in the grand scheme of things. A console isn't made by the first three months or so on the marketplace.

If it was, we'd be talking about the Sega Dreamcast 3 about now.

No one thought the dreamcast would be a failure three months after its release either though. It took time for people to realize it, but from my POV, they're on the exact same trajectory. Wii U is irrelevant if not totally dead within 3 years.

post #1182 of 1994 Old 02-13-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Wii U version of Rayman is finished, and somehow Ubisoft thinks the game will sell better up against GTA 5 instead of releasing at a time when 3 million Wii U owners are looking for a new game to play. To put it simply, they doomed the game to the bargain bin and cut it's potential sales greatly with this delay. (not one Wii U owner is upset with the multiplatform news, just the delay)
Exactly. Everyone expected Rayman Legends to go multiplatform. That's not the issue. The issue is that Ubisoft, which was the Wii's and now the Wii U's biggest third-party supporter, is backing down from that strong support position. And judging by what developers were saying at DICE, third-party publishers are backing out left and right from Wii U support. Ubisoft is doing this at a time when the platform desperately needs strong titles in its library. That's a huge F U to Nintendo (not to mention, to the Rayman team, too).
Quote:
The Wii U is actually doing very well, it's launch numbers were much better than the 360 and PS3, but for some reason publishers don't care, which makes me believe these used game blocks are true and publishers are shafting Nintendo because they didn't do it too.
It's really not. It sold decently out of the gates (in the first couple of weeks), but thereafter, it quickly leveled off, and has begun declining. And that was through the holidays and with no direct competition--when it should have been selling gangbusters. And its sales numbers actually dropped through the busiest shopping days of the season in Japan. There's a reason that Iwata is now talking seriously about stepping down. That's not a small gesture.

Rayman's delay has nothing to do with used game support. Ubisoft is interested in making money. They've decided that launching a Wii U exclusive--even at a time when Wii U owners are looking for quality new titles--is not a good way to make money.

post #1183 of 1994 Old 02-13-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Iwata said he would step down if Nintendo continued to post losses, they are profitable once again and with the 3DS selling 100k a week or more in Japan even during the slowest months of the year. Everything else is pulling sub 20k on average.

The real question this raises, can Sony crack Japan even with the PS4?

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1184 of 1994 Old 02-13-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The real question this raises, can Sony crack Japan even with the PS4?
Japan is small potatoes. The days are long gone when the Japanese market was the bellwether for the rest of the world. It's all about the Western market now.

Sony did great in Europe and Latin America. MS did great in North America. If Sony's smart, they'll go after those same markets again and work on rebuilding the brand in North America.

post #1185 of 1994 Old 02-13-2013, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 102
PS4 controller: New Details emerge pre-reveal
Quote:
A VG247 source said today that PS4′s rumoured controller touch-pad is real. The input is on the front of the handset. The Start and Select buttons have been moved as a result.

The controller is “more or less” the same shape as the current DualShock. We’ve been told today that the L2 and R2 buttons have been remodeled for the better.

The existence of the touch-pad has been previously reported by Edge, but claims a “Share” button exists on the controller from the same report were debunked by our source today. Apparently it isn’t there.

Rumors regarding the machine are now coming thick and fast. It was reported that it will come bundled with a camera last week, and Gaikai tech and a $400 price-point have recently been suggested by Nikkei in Japan.

Sony is expected to announce PlayStation 4 at a New York event next Wednesday.

I'm interested in the new controller, glad to hear they redesigned L2/R2. I like the general shape we have now but the whole thing could be a bit larger overall, which might be the case anyway to make room for that touchpad. Hopefully the sticks will be a little further apart as well.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #1186 of 1994 Old 02-13-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder where they are moving the start and select buttons?

post #1187 of 1994 Old 02-13-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I bet they'll be just below the touchpad, like smartphone buttons. They even might not be physical buttons maybe just capacitive.

If its still going to look and feel like a dual shock, they'll prob just widen the middle space, and extend it up to be flush with the L1/R1 nubs. That will give enough space for the touchpad to be useful, without making the controller too big.

post #1188 of 1994 Old 02-13-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

If that's the case, then I would think they would have to make the controller bigger, or they would be right on top of the sticks.

post #1189 of 1994 Old 02-13-2013, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The Nikkei article did not suggest a $40 price tag as the article suggest. It suggested a "more than $428" price tag when translated from the yen currency. Even if one allows for the built-in tak for Japanese products, that still reads as "more than $400", not simply $400. Hopefully the price is super low, but that rumor article should report more carefully what was actually suggested.

I am happy though that the DualShock form factor is retained. Can't wait to see the final product.

post #1190 of 1994 Old 02-13-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Japan is small potatoes. The days are long gone when the Japanese market was the bellwether for the rest of the world. It's all about the Western market now.

Sony did great in Europe and Latin America. MS did great in North America. If Sony's smart, they'll go after those same markets again and work on rebuilding the brand in North America.

Japan is small for consoles only. They are still big for games produced and for Handhelds. I think we will start to see more 3DS HD ports as we move forward. MH3U and RE:R are probably just a preview of things to come if the Japanese market stays the way it is now. Just imagine Final Fantasy XV as a cross platform 3DS/Wii U title using the Type 0 engine in full 1080p on the consoles. This could become the future of Japanese development.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #1191 of 1994 Old 02-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

If that's the case, then I would think they would have to make the controller bigger, or they would be right on top of the sticks.

I wonder if that rumor is even true. It seems awkward to use a touchscreen on the face. You pretty much have to let go of one side of the controller to do it, or use your thumb. I would think it would be on the back, that would also make sense for any "remote play" intentions with the Vita. Perhaps they saw an earlier prototype...

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #1192 of 1994 Old 02-13-2013, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

I wonder if that rumor is even true. It seems awkward to use a touchscreen on the face. You pretty much have to let go of one side of the controller to do it, or use your thumb. I would think it would be on the back, that would also make sense for any "remote play" intentions with the Vita. Perhaps they saw an earlier prototype...

Well, it would be a touchPAD if it was on the back of the controller... A touchscreen on the back really wouldn't make sense biggrin.gif

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #1193 of 1994 Old 02-13-2013, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

It makes sense if the PS4 comes with a mirror that you place in your lap. wink.gif

post #1194 of 1994 Old 02-13-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:

I hope they plumped up the size of the controller. If I play too long I end up with two cramped claws and a case of Nintendo thumb.
post #1195 of 1994 Old 02-13-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

The Wii U version of Rayman is finished, and somehow Ubisoft thinks the game will sell better up against GTA 5 instead of releasing at a time when 3 million Wii U owners are looking for a new game to play.

I'm not defending it (And in fact I think it's safe to draw the conclusions that are being made here about this news even though there could be other circumstances at play), but I also doubt that they're that concerned about GTAV.

If anything, New Super Mario Brothers U at launch would've been a much more direct competitor if they had launched on-time. Both are 2.5D platformers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

No one thought the dreamcast would be a failure three months after its release either though.

Which is why I stated what I did. The Dreamcast had a very successful launch yet look at how it turned out in the end.

The Wii U launch, even if it's as horrible as some claim (And I think there's plenty of evidence that is hasn't been that bad), doesn't promise that the platform is going to be a failure.

A console launch is important but is far from the primary indicator of a console's overall level of success in the end. For a recent example of this in the handheld world, look at the 3DS. A soft launch if not a downright failure yet it's growing quite well now and has a decent selection of quality software available for it.
post #1196 of 1994 Old 02-13-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

I hope they plumped up the size of the controller. If I play too long I end up with two cramped claws and a case of Nintendo thumb.
I'm fine with them keeping the design if they make it a little bigger. I like the Xbox controller more, but they can't copy them at this point. Make it a little bigger, fix the L2/R2, and maybe make the top of the sticks concave and I would be alright with it.

post #1197 of 1994 Old 02-14-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I'm not sure if this has been discussed already in this thread or not, but do you guys think GameStop will start taking preorders for the PS4 on February 21st ? (assuming the PS4 is announced the night before)
post #1198 of 1994 Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm not sure if this has been discussed already in this thread or not, but do you guys think GameStop will start taking preorders for the PS4 on February 21st ? (assuming the PS4 is announced the night before)

I'm surprised they're not doing it already.

post #1199 of 1994 Old 02-14-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 969
Quote:

At my GameStop I can preorder PS5.
post #1200 of 1994 Old 02-14-2013, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
didn't they wait until the Wii U's pricing was revealed before they opened up preorders for it?
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page