PlayStation Meeting 2013 (PS4 unveiling - conference replay in first post) - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I enjoyed GOW3, and that's probably because it's the only GOW game I've ever played. Well, I do own the 1-2HD versions, bought after finishing 3, but I just can't get into them.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The fact that Uncharted 3 may have struggled when put aside Uncharted 2 doesn't really need any "b-team" reasoning, even if the team was 100% the same (which never happens, ever), the same thing probably would have resulted.

I'm not one of those people who thinks U2 is one of the best games ever. But it did every thing it set out to do, completely. There really isn't much else to take this franchise. Heck, for this style of action game (linear, cinematic-driven with large set pieces) really doesn't have much else to go after Uncharted 2.

It's not like "mildly disappinting follow-up to brilliant and much-loved and praised work" is some rare thing. Following up something that is so great and so praised is pretty much impossible.
post #1353 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 551
The melee in UC 3 is the worst of the three. Hate the QTE's. Uncharted 1 and 2 just had more enjoyable scenarios overall, both are among the best games this generation which I played numerous times. I've played through UC3 once completely.
post #1354 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I just saw this on my twitter feed ... it looks like Playstation Cloud will be a thing. Notice that the owner is Gaikai inc.

http://whois.domaintools.com/playstation-cloud.com

http://whois.domaintools.com/playstation-cloud.org

http://whois.domaintools.com/ps-cloud.net
post #1355 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
There are a lot of directions they can take this cloud concept. A demo for every game released is one thing, and it won't even require a lengthy download or take up hard drive room.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #1356 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 01:44 PM

Liked: 33
Heck- For all we know, they bought it just to sit on it and to ensure that Gakai or another manufacturer interested in Gakai cannot use it to compete/ change the game. Just how Big oil suppliers buy hybrid/electric patents to slow down the hybrid/electric takeover. (I doubt it's THAT extreme, but they may have bought it with other interests in mind besides their own immediate uses.)

post #1357 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
IGN was supposed to stream some stuff and they were going to have a show before it came on, but I can't find it. Anyone know where it is?

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #1358 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

There are a lot of directions they can take this cloud concept. A demo for every game released is one thing, and it won't even require a lengthy download or take up hard drive room.

I'm still filing this remote cloud gaming thing under "I'll believe it when I see it". Onlive was a sub par experience. The games ran poorly and latency was a real issue. Even with unlimited bandwidth, the latency doesnt go away, even if the server is in your region. And we know bandwidth is still an issue here in the US. I can see it eventually working well for a slow paced game like Heavy Rain, but forget about anything that requires a quick response. Even just for demos....do they really want people demoing games under such iffy conditions? If disk space or download time is an issue, there are ways to get around that without resorting to streaming.

The concept makes a lot more sense when you're trying to sell people cheap consoles without any processing power....but that wont be an issue for the PS4. And while the user might not require much processing power, the cloud server will require *massive* amounts of hardware and a huge upfront investment just to get that running. PSN is already stretched to the limit. Why go through all that just to have the PS4 basically sit idle and act as a dumb client?

Within the home, streaming tech can definitely be a game changer, the latency issues wont exist to the same degree, and there's no server farms required. The PS4 will have a hardware real time h.264/h.265 encoder, the Vita has a hardware h.264 decoder. Even the PS3 can decode h.264 well. Its a match made in heaven. I'd be surprised if we didnt see quite a bit of it tomorrow. But cloud streaming? I just cant see it....but I've been wrong before. We'll find out in 25 hours. tongue.gif

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #1359 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Just about everyone says Gaikai played with far less latency issues than Onlive. But, we'll see how it goes.

~~~~

New rumors from a shaky source, Kotaku.

In a nut shell, it says there are two PS4s coming, one at $430 and the other at $530 due out in November. You can use pads and phones as input devices, Vita cross play to be emphasized, and PS+ becomes PS World as they expand the service offerings next gen ("most online features require a subscription").

6VeeyiK.jpg

post #1360 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
"Most online features require a subscription" Now what will the fanboys do instead on bashing XBL Gold?

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #1361 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

The fact that Uncharted 3 may have struggled when put aside Uncharted 2 doesn't really need any "b-team" reasoning, even if the team was 100% the same (which never happens, ever), the same thing probably would have resulted.

I agree. If The Last of Us is better than Uncharted 3 -- which I hope it is -- I would suspect it's because it's a new IP, not because it's produced by a different team.
post #1362 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

"Most online features require a subscription" Now what will the fanboys do instead on bashing XBL Gold?
Switch to PC. wink.gif

Seriously, though, I won't believe that until I hear it from the horse's mouth. Free online play is a selling point, and Sony has found a reasonable alternative in PS+. Sony knows this. Of course, it wouldn't be the first time a console company has shot themselves in the foot.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #1363 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I doubt netflix will require a PS subscription on PS4. wink.gif And I'm going to assume basic online multiplayer will stay free.

It's not surprising though that more exotic features like spectating or cross game chat might require a sub.
post #1364 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
I do hope online play stays free.

The bigger question is what the publishers will do. Even if Sony doesn't charge, we might see some new monetizing strategies emerge elsewhere. If that happens, we're all f-ed. biggrin.gif

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #1365 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

There are a lot of things to read into that rumor without jumping to conclusions that online play will no longer be free.

This new PS+ expansion, if true (I always have doubts about Kotaku), could simply mean the obvious: besides the current PS+ services they would likely add cloud streaming along with cross platform Gaikai access with the subscription fee.

So far PS+ has taken the positive "value added" approach instead of the penalizing "do it or else" approach. It makes sense to expect that to continue until confirmed otherwise.

post #1366 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

There are a lot of things to read into that rumor without jumping to conclusions that online play will no longer be free.

This new PS+ expansion, if true (I always have doubts about Kotaku), could simply mean the obvious: besides the current PS+ services they would likely add cloud streaming along with cross platform Gaikai access with the subscription fee.

So far PS+ has taken the positive "value added" approach instead of the penalizing "do it or else" approach. It makes sense to expect that to continue until confirmed otherwise.

I'm with you there. Cloud services get a paywall, but online play should stay free. If Sony begins charging money for online play then expect the magnanimous announcement of fee online play for the next xbox. Multiplayer without the extra charge is a pretty big marketing tool even at $5.50 a month, and suddenly charging everyone for it will have a big negative effect on the fans. Sony needs to keep and use anything that separates them from their competition, not hand them ammunition to put holes in the boat. Tomorrow got more interesting for sure.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #1367 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonMan View Post

That is NOT "widely accepted". You can argue that you think it is a better game, fine. But it is not "widely accepted" that it is a better SIM. By "SIM" I assume you mean "simulator". GT has more precision, more vehicles, more accurate handling between vehicles, and yes- when you crash, the vehicle handles different. Forza's physics are nowhere near that of GT, and if you crash you can just rewind? I've been in a couple automotive accidents over the years... there is no "rewind" button in any of my vehicles. GT is the better simulator. Hands down. You can argue any other aspect of the game, fine. But Forza is nowhere near the simulator that GT is. Take it from the folks at Car and Driver-

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/gran-turismo-5-vs-forza-motorsport-3-featurehttp://www.caranddriver.com/features/gran-turismo-5-vs-forza-motorsport-3-feature

I thought everyone was talking about Forza 4, not 3.
post #1368 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

This would be huge mistake on Sony's part. If they want to put some premium services behind a pay-wall - fine, but basic MP should be free. It's one of the biggest selling points of their console over MS.
post #1369 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:

Do you love having to pay twice for Netflix? I doubt Sony will charge users a 2nd time just to use Netflix, but I'd bash them as well if they did.
post #1370 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasnmb View Post

I just saw this on my twitter feed ... it looks like Playstation Cloud will be a thing. Notice that the owner is Gaikai inc.

http://whois.domaintools.com/playstation-cloud.com

http://whois.domaintools.com/playstation-cloud.org

http://whois.domaintools.com/ps-cloud.net

There's ya go. The answer to used games and piracy. All games and movies will be stored in the cloud instead of on Blu Ray.

I see the PS4 as an Apple TV sized device.

For people who need blu-ray and bacwards compatibility, the PS3 will still be for sale.
post #1371 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
So long as online play remains free, I don't care. If online play is no longer free I'll be sticking with my Wii U for any online games. I'll eventually build a PC as well.

I pay for Plus because it is a good value, if this new service has just as many perks, I'll be on board.

Another thing I really want is for the PS4 to remain region free, It really sucks that I am going to have to buy a Japanese 3DS XL soon, and any system that is region free is a big plus in my book.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #1372 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Cler View Post

I thought everyone was talking about Forza 4, not 3.

Sorry, admittedly that link was one I just found from a google search, and I didn't spend much looking into it. I am sure either side could find legitimate review sites to back our opinion. My opinion is still unchanged. the lighting, physics, and sounds in GT reproduce real-life physics, appearances, and sounds more accurately imo, making it a better simulated experience. Forza 4 may be more fun to play and I won't argue with that. But GT is a better Sim. Let's stop beating this dead horse. more important news- PS4 is being announced tomorrow! Need to find out if I have to sell a kidney for this or not!

post #1373 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
Gaming is a hobby people. If 50 bucks (or 35, or 39.99 Amazon fire sale subscription) is too much money to pay for a year of doing what you want to do, than you need a new hobby. I mean, 50 bucks is wipe my ass money; lets just move on. If you're all in on a $400+ console and launch games and all the like, and $50 bucks is a deal breaker for you, something's wrong ...

You can't even take your wife/girl/whatever out to a decent dinner for $50 bucks anymore.

Big whoop.
post #1374 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

There are a million and one things in life we could randomly throw $50 at, it doesn't mean we should. Sometimes on principal alone people choose not to go with the flow regardless of the price involved. I guess we have to wait and see what the final details are to make a determination about the service for next gen.

post #1375 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

Gaming is a hobby people. If 50 bucks (or 35, or 39.99 Amazon fire sale subscription) is too much money to pay for a year of doing what you want to do, than you need a new hobby. I mean, 50 bucks is wipe my ass money; lets just move on. If you're all in on a $400+ console and launch games and all the like, and $50 bucks is a deal breaker for you, something's wrong ...

You can't even take your wife/girl/whatever out to a decent dinner for $50 bucks anymore.

Big whoop.

Quote:

There are a million and one things in life we could randomly throw $50 at, it doesn't mean we should. Sometimes on principal alone people choose not to go with the flow regardless of the price involved. I guess we have to wait and see what the final details are to make a determination about the service for next gen.

I agree with both accounts.

Basically, I don't care how much money I make (which currently isn't enough lol). If console A and console B are otherwise comparable, and I can buy used games for console B, I am going to buy console B. I would think that other things being equal, most consumers would feel the same way? whether you are the one trading in old games when buying new ones OR you are the one only buying old games, this is something to consider. I agree it is not a make or break point, but it certainly could put on console over the other in terms of sales.

post #1376 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

There's ya go. The answer to used games and piracy. All games and movies will be stored in the cloud instead of on Blu Ray.

I see the PS4 as an Apple TV sized device.

For people who need blu-ray and bacwards compatibility, the PS3 will still be for sale.

No way. It's definitely a PS3-sized box which takes BDs. Digital download will be fully supported by the console, but it won't be forced.

post #1377 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Online play and things like Netflix are probably still free, so they'll have plenty to "brag" about.

500 gigs FTW.
post #1378 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 61
500 bucks. No problem. Just take my money and give me something new already. So tired of waiting. I feel like my PS3 should have been relegated to closet duty two years ago.

500 gigs FTW.
post #1379 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonMan View Post

I agree with both accounts.

Basically, I don't care how much money I make (which currently isn't enough lol). If console A and console B are otherwise comparable, and I can buy used games for console B, I am going to buy console B. I would think that other things being equal, most consumers would feel the same way? whether you are the one trading in old games when buying new ones OR you are the one only buying old games, this is something to consider. I agree it is not a make or break point, but it certainly could put on console over the other in terms of sales.

Oddly, I don't seem to care that much about used games anymore. It seems most games I'd like to buy used require an online pass, making a new one cheaper anyway, and I never trade-in games because it just pisses me off getting such a low amount for them. Of course I don't get anything for just keeping them, and I'm too lazy to put them up for sale on Amazon or Ebay, but whatever... smile.gif

Regarding the $50. No, it's not that much, but that plus a hard drive quickly made the cheap model of 360 more expensive than the base PS3. Still Microsoft picked up all the sales from people who were just bad at math, or parents who just didn't know about the hidden costs with the 360... I think that's why people bashed on it. Personally, I'd be alright with the $50 if it was for the whole console, like PS+ is with the Playstation, but the fact that you need to pay the $50 for each account is sort of ridiculous. I haven't had to pay it, since we have a PS3, but I feel for some of the neighbor kids that aren't an only child. Anyway, my point: Hopefully the PS-World service attaches to the Master account and is available for all the sub accounts on the console, and hopefully you can use that Master Account and PS-World subscription on at least two consoles. Not for me, I'll just have the one, but I know there are lots of folks here on AVS with multiple consoles, and that would suck to have to pay twice for the same thing.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #1380 of 1994 Old 02-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

500 bucks. No problem. Just take my money and give me something new already. So tired of waiting. I feel like my PS3 should have been relegated to closet duty two years ago.

Agree. Can we get it in September?

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page