PlayStation Meeting 2013 (PS4 unveiling - conference replay in first post) - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 1994 Old 02-22-2013, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

As someone working for a fortune 100 company I can tell you that asking a straight question, and getting a straight answer doesn't happen. The fact that you're asking a yes or no question in and of itself, hints that you're asking a loaded question. Nothing in business is ever just as straight forward as yes/no. We'll see what happens when more info is released. The CEO of Sony computer entertainment, being bullied into a yes/no answer by a ****ing video game blogger? Rediculous.

As someone that has not invested a lot of money into PSN downloads I do not understand the argument of "Im not buying PSN items now, because they will be worthless in a year". I don't get that...Is the PSN going to shut down when the PS4 comes out? Will you not enjoy the item in the meantime? Please enlighten me.

Here's my shot at enlightening you:

Not all of us work for a fortune 100 company. We're not going to purchase something that won't be used in the near future. We're planning to pay part of the cost of the new console by trading in the old one. If games purchased between now and then are not able to be played on the PS4, we're not going to buy them. It's as simple as that. Not whining about the situation, it is what it is. There is your enlightenment.
kwaidonjin likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1994 Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

This is what I dont understand...if you want to play the game, why would you NOT get it? What are you going to do in the month between wanting to buy the PSN game and getting a PS4? If you buy the game, and you like it are you going to regret getting it when the PS4 comes out?
Many of us have options other than the PS3, so we'll just buy our digital games on other platforms from now on.

This is one of those things that will factor into which platform I will buy my downloadable games from in the future. That's why it matters, and why it should matter to Sony. It will affect consumer behavior, especially among the segment of the gaming population that Sony is going after.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #1893 of 1994 Old 02-22-2013, 05:14 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:

I get that we might from time to time replay the classics...but to say you're EVER going to touch that shelf FULL of games ever again is probably not true.

I have about 15 PS3 games now that I haven't played in over two years. I still have disc copies of every final fantasy game to date...but haven't played a disc copy in probably 5 years.

I agree that I will likely never touch them or use BC even if the console offers it. It's all in my head. But its also the reason I bought the PS2 with BC and the PS3 with BC... and I'm not the only one. Offering a version for 100 bucks more for the first two years would go a long ways in retaining current customers.

post #1894 of 1994 Old 02-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Many of us have options other than the PS3, so we'll just buy our digital games on other platforms from now on.

This is one of those things that will factor into which platform I will buy my downloadable games from in the future. That's why it matters, and why it should matter to Sony. It will affect consumer behavior, especially among the segment of the gaming population that Sony is going after.

As long as I only want to play it for a month.

What if the same game is coming out on PS4. Why would you even bother with the PS3 version. Just wait for the PS4 and buy it on what is apparently a separate network.

For the reasons in the paragraph you didn't quote, I'm not keeping my PS3 hooked up, if I get a PS4.
CMonMan likes this.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #1895 of 1994 Old 02-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is why Steam has gotten a lot of my money lately.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #1896 of 1994 Old 02-22-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
PS4 ads are all over youtube. Seems like they are pushing.

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
post #1897 of 1994 Old 02-22-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

What if the same game is coming out on PS4. Why would you even bother with the PS3 version. Just wait for the PS4 and buy it on what is apparently a separate network.
It's more than that. Sony is doing damage to their overall online brand. It's not just PS3 games that this affects. Now that Sony has set this precedent, why would I buy PS4 games digitally? Companies with a strong online presence have to be sensitive to legacy--even if that legacy is ultimately illusory. It's different if you're a rental or streaming outfit (like Netflix or Hulu). But if you're in the business of selling digital products, you have to develop a sense of consistency, legacy support, and permanence. Without that, your products are seen as disposable and value-less. Combined with the premium price of Sony's digital products compared to other platforms, what reason now do consumers have to choose Sony over another digital platform?

This was a serious strategic error on Sony's part IMO. BC support isn't just about playing old games. It's about the perceived value of current and future games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

This is why Steam has gotten a lot of my money lately.
Yup.

post #1898 of 1994 Old 02-22-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 207
...and the absence of PS2 BC for maybe 80% of all PS3s ever sold hasn't done jack to "hurt the brand." Sales continued to rise, and the system has done very well in regions where they never had PS2 BC. Trying to project one's feelings of inconvenience over an entire consumer base by saying there will be widespread outrage might feel good, but it accomplishes nothing because you would be wrong.

A} The PS4 will have BC in at least two forms (HD upgrades and Gaikai streaming). While not ideal, it is far from zero BC some try to paint it as.

B} More importantly, your PS3s aren't going anywhere if you want full access to your discs/dloads. It's a choice you make; don't get upset because the world doesn't make everything nice and neat for you.

Many of us bought videotapes. DVDs came along and oh well, gotta move on. Many of us bought Blu-ray. Digital will eventually take over oh well, gotta move on. Audio tapes, CDs, MP3s, and decades of consoles past with no option to play older titles show that the masses simply deal with the lack of BC. Is there any long term damage? No, especially for the PS4 that will at least have options.

So if there is a PS3 game on disc or PSN you like, not buying it only deprives you of enjoyment of it and nothing more. There is no point being proven to anyone, there is no honor being maintained. The only thing keeping you from playing the games you have and the ones you want is YOU. Stop going through life pointing fingers and blaming others because your pillow isn't soft enough.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #1899 of 1994 Old 02-22-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 259
I'm with the crowd that thinks it sucks that purchases may not transfer. I currently only have a 360 but, I have purchased quite a bit of stuff from XBL and I'll be pissed if that doesn't transfer to the next Xbox, if I decide to get it. Now, I might decide to get a PS4 and lose the stuff anyway but, that would be my choice, not MS or Sony's.

I think that is the big issue, the choice to keep your purchases is being taken away from you. This has always been the big fear of digital distribution, a company can render you entire collection useless in an instant. This is why I don't think physical media is going anywhere any time soon. If MS and Sony want people to buy into 100% digital downloads in the future, they have to make sure you can still access content bought today on the PS4, 5 and beyond. Just like I can still pop in a DVD I bought 12 years ago into my current BD player.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #1900 of 1994 Old 02-22-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

No one is taking anything away from you. Not only are your PSN games on your PS3 right now, they are on your download list to grab a new copy whenever you need it. All this drama continues to ignore the obvious. You can play your discs now on your PS3 and ten years from now. You can play your digital games now on your PS3 as well ten years from now. No one is stopping you.

That's what they are you know - PS3 games. Just like videotape purchasing never ensured DVD player compatibility, PS3 game purchases never guaranteed PS4,5,6,7 & 8 compatibility. It doesn't matter if it is retail or digital; their availability to be played on the system upon which they were designed for is the same.

With that said, at least some forms of BC will be on the PS4, even if it isn't the perfect solution that I too would prefer.

post #1901 of 1994 Old 02-22-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

No one is taking anything away from you. Not only are your PSN games on your PS3 right now, they are on your download list to grab a new copy whenever you need it. All this drama continues to ignore the obvious. You can play your discs now on your PS3 and ten years from now. You can play your digital games now on your PS3 as well ten years from now. No one is stopping you.

That's what they are you know - PS3 games. Just like videotape purchasing never ensured DVD player compatibility, PS3 game purchases never guaranteed PS4,5,6,7 & 8 compatibility. It doesn't matter if it is retail or digital; their availability to be played on the system upon which they were designed for is the same.

With that said, at least some forms of BC will be on the PS4, even if it isn't the perfect solution that I too would prefer.

THE CORPORATIONS OWE ME DAMMIT! I DESERVED FOR PROMETHEUS TO BE RIPLEY'S GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT GRANDMOTHER YELLING GAME OVER MAN!!!
post #1902 of 1994 Old 02-22-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 259
I still dont like it but, I see what your saying joeblow. It will be interesting to see what happens if the next Xbox has full BC support, could it affect which console people choose. I'll be honest, I'm out of HDMI inputs on my TV so, which ever console offers me the opportunity to continue playing Skyrim for years to come will have the best chance at getting my money.

Honestly, I doubt the next Xbox is going to support BC. If they really want to up the power of the console they have to move away from PowerPC. This means hardware or software emulation for BC and, as we saw with the PS3, that will drive the price up.

I want to know if Rockstar is going to release a version of GTAV that is compatible with the PS4. I'm not buying GTA in September only to lose support for it in November when I purchase a new console.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #1903 of 1994 Old 02-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

I understand the argument fully.

This is why I brought up Steam. I can get a new computer and still play any game in my Steam library.

I want console digital games to do the same thing. Just because the past has done it a certain way doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be changed.

New medium should bring some new rules.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #1904 of 1994 Old 02-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
PCs and video game consoles are way too different though in terms of hardware changes.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #1905 of 1994 Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I love how Sony just announced the PS4 and suddenly everyone is an expert on the BC capabilities of the PS4. You all are taking this way too seriously. I remember when Sony announced they were going to take the PS2 chip out of the PS3 and some games weren't going to be compatible with the emulation. They did this so they could afford the price reduction everyone was crying for. But yet everyone was booing Sony because not all games were going to be compatible. Well, the PS3 still sold like hotcakes. Instead of spreading rumors like they are actual facts, why don't we wait until the PS4 is released and make our assumptions then.
post #1906 of 1994 Old 02-23-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Comparing the upcoming transition (PS3 to PS4) to the prior one (PS2 to PS3) doesn't hold up because the expectations have changed. Digital distribution wasn't part of the PS2 ecosystem. Steam was just a whisper of what it is now. The App Store didn't even exist. But now it's not unreasonable to expect digital purchases to carry over between platforms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes 
I love how Sony just announced the PS4 and suddenly everyone is an expert on the BC capabilities of the PS4. You all are taking this way too seriously. I remember when Sony announced they were going to take the PS2 chip out of the PS3 and some games weren't going to be compatible with the emulation. They did this so they could afford the price reduction everyone was crying for. But yet everyone was booing Sony because not all games were going to be compatible. Well, the PS3 still sold like hotcakes. Instead of spreading rumors like they are actual facts, why don't we wait until the PS4 is released and make our assumptions then.
It's not a rumor. Sony execs have been quite clear over the past few days about BC. The only remaining question is whether or not they will do anything to accommodate PSN purchases through their streaming service.

And, yes, it mattered quite a bit for me with my PS3. I stopped buying PSN games as soon as I saw what Sony did with the Vita and its very limited BC. Once I saw that Sony wasn't supporting their consumers' gaming purchases long-term, I stopped investing in digital purchases through PSN. As many of us have said repeatedly, this isn't just about playing old games. This is about buying current ones.

post #1907 of 1994 Old 02-23-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

It's more than that. Sony is doing damage to their overall online brand. It's not just PS3 games that this affects. Now that Sony has set this precedent, why would I buy PS4 games digitally? Companies with a strong online presence have to be sensitive to legacy--even if that legacy is ultimately illusory. It's different if you're a rental or streaming outfit (like Netflix or Hulu). But if you're in the business of selling digital products, you have to develop a sense of consistency, legacy support, and permanence. Without that, your products are seen as disposable and value-less. Combined with the premium price of Sony's digital products compared to other platforms, what reason now do consumers have to choose Sony over another digital platform?

This was a serious strategic error on Sony's part IMO. BC support isn't just about playing old games. It's about the perceived value of current and future games.
Yup.

It's not a strategic error, it's the best of a series of tough decisions.

Cell is a dead end. That was obvious by 2008. Work hasn't been done on the chip in a long time, Sony sold their fabs, it's not going anywhere. If it caught on, then we might have seen a brand new Cell with more SPUs or whatever that can run PS3 games flawlessly. That didn't happen They needed to cut the cord. or use some crappy derivative of it like Nintendo's slow-ass Wii U CPU. I say they made the right decision, but it put them in a bind.

Emulation is not an option - it's just not going to happen. They could bolt PS3 hardware onto every PS4, but that would be a large added expense that people may not even want. And if they do want it, they won't want it in a year when there is a large PS4 library and most people have moved on. I can see it going both ways. They can eat those costs (which makes it harder to do business going forward) or pass them on to people who don't want them, or just offer a clean start and get the costs down as much as possible.

In the CE market, price rules. I also think that the past generation has proven that no, people don't really play old games as much as they think they would. I am going to buy a PS4 to play PS4 games, if I wanted PS3 games I will buy a PS3.

No decision is free, putting in PlayStation 3 hardware would be a massive cost and in business, massive costs need payoffs. If Sony didn't see where those costs will end up with a positive payoff, they shouldn't do it.
post #1908 of 1994 Old 02-23-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by number1laing View Post

No decision is free, putting in PlayStation 3 hardware would be a massive cost and in business, massive costs need payoffs. If Sony didn't see where those costs will end up with a positive payoff, they shouldn't do it.
Absolutely. I don't think Sony is some evil monster trying to crap on our good time. eek.gif

These were decisions motivated entirely by cost. But the fact that longevity of their digital products isn't a priority is a problem. I mean, consider the fact that many of their digital games are multiplatform (PC, XBLA, and in some cases WiiWare). The limitation there isn't hardware.

Regardless, I'm not ready to count Sony out yet. They have yet to figure out exactly how their streaming service is going to work, and what they may (or may not) do to support those of us with digital purchases in their system. And we have yet to see what this will look like in action. But it does muddy their reputation in the online marketplace.

post #1909 of 1994 Old 02-23-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
My point was more that is a trade-off they have to make. If their DD platform suffers because of customer wariness, then they need to hope to make that up in another way - like the money saved by not putting Cell on every PS4.

As my outline noted, they are hamstrung by decisions made years ago, by completely different people not even at Sony anymore.
post #1910 of 1994 Old 02-23-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I don't like digital because it costs the same amount as a physical copy, but they didn't have to pay to put the game on a disc, make a case, print a booklet, and ship it to the store. This has always been my major complaint with day one digital on consoles. It should cost less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonMan View Post

I agree. I haven't bought any games digitally. That said if Sony wanted to convince people to switch to digital, offering digital copies for significant discounts would sure help.

When this gen started all everyone was talking about was how much cheaper a downloaded game was gonna be compared to a disc copy. Everyone was so happy that the incredible savings was going to go right back to the customer's pocket.

The reality is that game prices have stayed exactly the same, and the savings is just more profit for the game companies. Not sure why everyone expected a business to make less money on purpose. I would love them to be cheaper, but I can't begrudge a company making money. Best we'll get is AAA games won't increase to $70.00 this gen because of DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonMan View Post

The difference is that I've already paid for that shelf full of games inside my tv stand. Would be great to be able to have the potential to use them on the PS4. No way am I going to repurchase them.

I had a VHS hooked up for many years after my first DVD player. Console cycles are just a format change, but more annoying because they happen way more often. I'll be enjoying my PS3 long after the PS4 launches, for nothing other than to get through my backlog finally! Plus, the first year of any console is pretty slim pickings for games, so PS3 will be filling the gap for me anyway.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #1911 of 1994 Old 02-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
http://ps4daily.com/2013/02/playstation-4-gpu-is-4-5x-more-powerful-than-ps3-gpu/
So how much more powerful is the new 8 core cpu over the Cell??????????
post #1912 of 1994 Old 02-23-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

http://ps4daily.com/2013/02/playstation-4-gpu-is-4-5x-more-powerful-than-ps3-gpu/
So how much more powerful is the new 8 core cpu over the Cell??????????

It's a lot more powerful for the type of code that only ran on the Cell PPE, but for code that was fully optimized for the 6 SPEs it's not really a big jump. In fact the peak FLOPs number for the new CPU is less than the peak number for the Cell, but that's why part of the GPU seems to be dedicated to general purpose computing to help the CPU.
post #1913 of 1994 Old 02-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Just a thought, but can't we just download all of our digital purchases onto a large HD (replace stock drive with a 750 gig drive), back it up to an external drive and then restore all of our digital purchases if needed? Would that not work?

If the PS3 dies, that could be a problem as I don't think you can restore to another machine if I am not mistaken?

In any case, glad that Sony is moving on and while it may suck that Backward compatibility is not there, the PS3 as a system will be around for a very long time, so as long as you can backup your digital purchases, I don't see that as a problem.

In the end, I believe that it would be crazy for anyone to think that Sony has to keep servers up forever with digital games just so we have access to it. At some point, they will be shut down. That is the risk with digital purchases.

Think about Atari and Coleco Vision cartridges that are still available, and this is more than 20 years later. Our digital purchases for anything are not going to be around that long including iTunes and I don't expect it to be for the most part.

Thanks and have a good day!

Brian Garner
-----------
XBox Gametag: IceSavior
PS3 Tag: IceSavior
- feel free to add me to your friends list
post #1914 of 1994 Old 02-23-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

When this gen started all everyone was talking about was how much cheaper a downloaded game was gonna be compared to a disc copy. Everyone was so happy that the incredible savings was going to go right back to the customer's pocket.

The reality is that game prices have stayed exactly the same, and the savings is just more profit for the game companies. Not sure why everyone expected a business to make less money on purpose. I would love them to be cheaper, but I can't begrudge a company making money. Best we'll get is AAA games won't increase to $70.00 this gen because of DD.
That's not the issue. The online marketplaces on the consoles are price-controlled by the platform holders (i.e. Sony and MS). But on other digital distribution networks (App Store and PC), they're determined entirely by the developer or publisher. That's why the prices on those platforms are lower. There's greater competition and flexibility in the market. But on PSN and XBLA, there's no flexibility since everything is carefully controlled by Sony and MS. Prices are artificially kept high. There is no natural market flexibility.

And based on what Sony has said in interviews following its PS4 announcement, that's not going to change for PS4. They say they want a wider range of prices and games, but Sony and the big publishers will still get a final say on pricing since there will be no self-published games on the network. Either a developer needs a publisher or Sony themselves will act as publisher (exactly like things are done currently on PSN).
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarner View Post

If the PS3 dies, that could be a problem as I don't think you can restore to another machine if I am not mistaken?
It's actually really easy. Sony has a record of everything on their end and you can "activate" and "deactivate" systems at will. Despite being ephemeral, digital purchases do have some perks!

post #1915 of 1994 Old 02-23-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

That's not the issue. The online marketplaces on the consoles are price-controlled by the platform holders (i.e. Sony and MS). But on other digital distribution networks (App Store and PC), they're determined entirely by the developer or publisher. That's why the prices on those platforms are lower. There's greater competition and flexibility in the market. But on PSN and XBLA, there's no flexibility since everything is carefully controlled by Sony and MS. Prices are artificially kept high. There is no natural market flexibility.

I'm talking console games. XBL and PSN are their own closed systems and can't be directly compared to an open market. If you want the convenience and ease of a console ecosystem then you pay the price, because the convenience has value. Really though I was just remembering how excited everyone was, the massive savings in physical distro. of PS3 games was going straight to their pockets. Didn't happen.
Quote:
And based on what Sony has said in interviews following its PS4 announcement, that's not going to change for PS4. They say they want a wider range of prices and games, but Sony and the big publishers will still get a final say on pricing since there will be no self-published games on the network. Either a developer needs a publisher or Sony themselves will act as publisher (exactly like things are done currently on PSN).

Jonathan Blow’s The Witness To Be Self-Published On The PS4

No one knows how the pricing will work on the PSN for PS4, and the self published initiative is a new thing entirely for Sony. Maybe this is how they end up with a wide range of prices?

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #1916 of 1994 Old 02-23-2013, 01:11 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I believe that the concerns/issues people are having is that ten years from now, the servers that provide the downloads for the games you bought aren't guaranteed to exist. Yes, the PS4 servers will be online, but what guarantee do we have that Sony will continue to support the PS3 games? That is the big fear that people have. Add in to that the fact that as technology progresses and becomes more complex, the reliability of the hardware drops. More complex = greater chance for failure. Once the support for the PS3 goes away, if you have a hardware failure you are likely SOL. While I would love to have the confirmation that the PS3 servers will be up and running indefinitely, business-wise that is a foolish thing to do.
Quote:

It's actually really easy. Sony has a record of everything on their end and you can "activate" and "deactivate" systems at will. Despite being ephemeral, digital purchases do have some perks!

My first PS3 was a MGS4 bundle which I had picked up when MGS4 came out. A few years back, I sold it to a friend of mine and picked up a PS3 Slim which is my current system. On the Sony Entertainment Webpage, I can see the current PS3 and the MGS4 one on there. However, if I go and try to "deactivate" a feature in the MGS4 PS3 under my account, it tells me that I can only do that from the console itself. So basically, there are a couple of features that I had activated on my first PS3 that I'll never be able to deactivate under my account. So not everything can be easily done. It can be tracked, but not actually performed. I'm guessing this is in case somebody hacked the accounts they couldn't deactivate everybody's systems and make them bricks.
post #1917 of 1994 Old 02-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

From Shuhei Yoshida's interview on GameInformer:
Quote:
Is Sony going to give these teams and people a new pricing structure? The biggest fear that indie people have had is the barrier for them getting into game development.

For the people that self-publish, it’s their product. They are the publisher. They are free to set the price from free to, you know, $30. It’s their fee. For independent publishers we work with, we are the publisher, so we make the final decision, but for our store, it’s very easy to set the price for each product, and it’s easy to make promotions or bundles. It’s very easy to do.

That seems pretty definitive, to me.
post #1918 of 1994 Old 02-23-2013, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

It's a lot more powerful for the type of code that only ran on the Cell PPE, but for code that was fully optimized for the 6 SPEs it's not really a big jump. In fact the peak FLOPs number for the new CPU is less than the peak number for the Cell, but that's why part of the GPU seems to be dedicated to general purpose computing to help the CPU.
I don't like that they call it a low power cpu.
post #1919 of 1994 Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle 
That seems pretty definitive, to me.
Not at all. Check it out again. It's really unclear. I'm wondering if there's a translation issue in how the term "self publishing" is being used by Yoshida. If you look at that statement, it actually makes no sense. An "independent publisher" is not a thing, nor would it make sense for Sony to "act as publisher" for games that already have publishers. And when he's talking about "self publishing" he seems to be talking about games that have publishers rather than games without publishers. I think it's a translation flub because it makes no sense.

I think what he means by "independent publishers" is "independent developers," in which case it would make sense for Sony to act as publisher (which as I said above, is how they currently do things). And when he says "self published" games, I think he means games with publishers already, in which case it is indeed their product. His wording (or perhaps the translator's wording) is confusing as hell.

But if Sony is actually going to open up their marketplace to truly self-published games (i.e. independently developed games without publishers), that's a major win for developers and gamers.

post #1920 of 1994 Old 02-23-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdurg View Post

I believe that the concerns/issues people are having is that ten years from now, the servers that provide the downloads for the games you bought aren't guaranteed to exist. Yes, the PS4 servers will be online, but what guarantee do we have that Sony will continue to support the PS3 games? That is the big fear that people have. Add in to that the fact that as technology progresses and becomes more complex, the reliability of the hardware drops. More complex = greater chance for failure. Once the support for the PS3 goes away, if you have a hardware failure you are likely SOL. While I would love to have the confirmation that the PS3 servers will be up and running indefinitely, business-wise that is a foolish thing to do.
There has been nothing to indicate that that is a real concern. If the PS2 had a robust online store, there is no reason to think it still wouldn't be up and running here 13 years after it launched. In fact, the reason it is a great likelihood the games would still be available online in this scenaro is because PS2 games and PSOne are digitally available right now even though that option didn't exist for those systems back in the day. And next gen, It makes no logical sense to take a Chicken Little sky-is-falling approach about the foreseeable future.
Quote:
My first PS3 was a MGS4 bundle which I had picked up when MGS4 came out. A few years back, I sold it to a friend of mine and picked up a PS3 Slim which is my current system. On the Sony Entertainment Webpage, I can see the current PS3 and the MGS4 one on there. However, if I go and try to "deactivate" a feature in the MGS4 PS3 under my account, it tells me that I can only do that from the console itself. So basically, there are a couple of features that I had activated on my first PS3 that I'll never be able to deactivate under my account. So not everything can be easily done. It can be tracked, but not actually performed. I'm guessing this is in case somebody hacked the accounts they couldn't deactivate everybody's systems and make them bricks.

You have two options to get access to your game(s). Call Sony at (800) 345-7669 to see if they can deactivate that console, or go to your SEN account on a PC, deactivate all your consoles, then manually re-activate the ones you still use.

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page