PlayStation Meeting 2013 (PS4 unveiling - conference replay in first post) - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1981 of 1994 Old 02-27-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post

What is DLC?

DLC stands for "Downloadable Content," which is basically any form of add-on content to a game, whether it be whole new levels and maps, skins, weapons, music tracks (for music games), playable characters (fighting games), etc. Some of it's free, but most of it costs money.
Over the past five years that trend has been for core game prices to drop more quickly as developers try to recoup the money by issuing DLC, much of it ready to release the same day the game launches. What's especially disturbing is the prices that can sometimes exceed, when combined, the original cost of the game, but while not offering more content than the original game.
Zookster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1982 of 1994 Old 02-27-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

It's a license to do sloppy code. I know devs.
Glad I'm not the only one around here who thought this. biggrin.gif

When developers say that they "worked closely with Sony" in developing the PS4, it's not like their first priority is a machine with Supermega Graphical Ultra PowerZ. First and foremost, developers want a machine that lets them keep costs down and gives them more room for error. Games will be made faster, cheaper, and with far less optimization. Welcome to the world of PC gaming!

We'll still see the usual suspects that push the tech to its limits and can afford to spend the time and money to optimize code, but those games will be few and far between.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #1983 of 1994 Old 02-27-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Glad I'm not the only one around here who thought this. biggrin.gif

When developers say that they "worked closely with Sony" in developing the PS4, it's not like their first priority is a machine with Supermega Graphical Ultra PowerZ. First and foremost, developers want a machine that lets them keep costs down and gives them more room for error. Games will be made faster, cheaper, and with far less optimization. Welcome to the world of PC gaming!

We'll still see the usual suspects that push the tech to its limits and can afford to spend the time and money to optimize code, but those games will be few and far between.

The quality of the games will speak for itself in the end. If they can make something incredible with sloppy code, then so be it.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #1984 of 1994 Old 02-27-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
confidenceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

The quality of the games will speak for itself in the end. If they can make something incredible with sloppy code, then so be it.
Indeed. But IMO "quality" has almost nothing to do with expensive development or high-end technology.

For example, a game like Super Meat Boy (which cost relatively little to make and requires only modest technology) is of far superior quality to a game like Assassin's Creed 3 (which cost tens of millions to make and requires more technological muscle than current consoles can handle). SMB is more visually polished and impressive, more bug free, has tighter mechanics and level design, and, hell, even the story makes more sense.

It's the big boys that are more likely to skimp on optimization than the little guys. Keep it simple, I say!

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
confidenceman is offline  
post #1985 of 1994 Old 02-27-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
Thats quite a comparison.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #1986 of 1994 Old 02-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Member
 
InfernoST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

DLC stands for "Downloadable Content," which is basically any form of add-on content to a game, whether it be whole new levels and maps, skins, weapons, music tracks (for music games), playable characters (fighting games), etc. Some of it's free, but most of it costs money.
Over the past five years that trend has been for core game prices to drop more quickly as developers try to recoup the money by issuing DLC, much of it ready to release the same day the game launches. What's especially disturbing is the prices that can sometimes exceed, when combined, the original cost of the game, but while not offering more content than the original game.

Thanks Zookster.

I usually just play the game when I can and never found the need to buy an extras.
InfernoST is offline  
post #1987 of 1994 Old 02-27-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 741
GOLDEN AK47 BLING BLING MASTER CHIEF


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Steam: Guts
darthrsg is online now  
post #1988 of 1994 Old 03-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Senior Member
 
CMonMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
CMonMan is offline  
post #1989 of 1994 Old 03-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
MarkcusD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Good stuff.
MarkcusD is offline  
post #1990 of 1994 Old 03-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Senior Member
 
CMonMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonMan View Post

Is it possible that that "speaker" is actually a mic and that the jack on the bottom is a headphone jack? That would allow any pair of headphones/earbuds to be used without needing to invest in a full blown gaming headset. Possible?

Called it.

CMonMan is offline  
post #1991 of 1994 Old 03-30-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMonMan View Post

Called it.

Speaker isn't a mic though. tongue.gif

Either way they said they're only putting 32khz audio out through that jack (and probably heavily compressed), so it won't sound great. But still pretty neat that's it's stereo.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #1992 of 1994 Old 03-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
steve1022's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: KC Metro
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Can anyone tell me if with the headsets, will the game sound come through as well as the voice or will it be voice chat only? How does it work with xbox 360? I've never played one.

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
steve1022 is offline  
post #1993 of 1994 Old 06-10-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Monger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post


It'll be amazing if the super low price happens, even though the report still said it would cost more than 40K yen. Hopefully we find out on the 20th instead of E3. In fact, if you guys are right and there is a $400 option without a forced subscription, to celebrate I'll give you each my two remaining 1-month PS+ codes.

So what constitutes a forced subscription? smile.gif
Monger is offline  
post #1994 of 1994 Old 06-10-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member
 
joeblow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 12,108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Heh, a sub is forced on multiplayers.

This thread is dead though.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

joeblow is offline  
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off