PlayStation Meeting 2013 (PS4 unveiling - conference replay in first post) - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 1994 Old 02-24-2012, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post

It's pretty obvious why console game sales are down and will continue to fall.

PS3 and X360 software sales have gone up pretty much every year since 2007, including last year. The Wii's sales have fallen off a cliff and have skewed overall numbers down, but the HD consoles are doing fine right now.

This will be an interesting year for software sales though, as there don't seem to be as many AAA game releases this year and some are starting to itch for new hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if PC gaming gets an uptick in sales as the consoles start to show their age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 1994 Old 02-25-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post

It's pretty obvious why console game sales are down and will continue to fall. Everybody is playing games on thier IPAD\ ablets and phones. Games are alot cheaper or free and have a massive selection at a fraction of the cost. I think there has been a retro shift in the market. Gaming trends seem to be doing a 180 with people getting drawn back to simpler games. Since I got my tablet I do most of my gaming on it and hardly touch my PS3, it's just so much more convenient and the variety of gaming apps you can play is staggering and most of the ones I play are free and addictive in it's simplicity. You don't have to spend hours to figure out the controls and the IPAD\ ablets are perfect for it's portability and for gaming in spurts when free time is limited. My kid and his friends are the same way with thier IPADs. MW3 is still successful because it's a familiar formula and gameplay is essentially the same year after year.

That's why the VITA is gonna be a massive failure. No one wants to pay $250 for a system that pales to the versatility of a tablet and then pay $30-$40 for games when they have a gazillion games on thier tablets at a fraction of a cost. The landscape is changing and the appeal of consoles in thier present form will be fading.

It's interesting you mention this because i've got Dead Rising 2 OTR, Saboteur, Uncharted, and several other big deep games and I can't find the motivation or desire to play them. With my schedule, I want mindless fun and have switched over to the PSN store content. I'm having more fun with those games then disc based one.

I've recently become a PS+ member and already have over 12 games downloaded and I can't be pulled away from them. It's easy to pick up and put down and more cost efficient and just as entertaining.

I didn't even download Far Cry 2 or other disc based ones, i'm gunning for the mini games and arcade/retro content. For $50 you can't beat it.
post #243 of 1994 Old 02-25-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdethloff View Post

PS3 and X360 software sales have gone up pretty much every year since 2007, including last year. The Wii's sales have fallen off a cliff and have skewed overall numbers down, but the HD consoles are doing fine right now.

Exactly. It is strange how far this misinformation spread. The HD consoles are indeed doing better than ever. The only reason "console sales" are down is because of the crash of the Wii market.

Also, with respect to more AAA titles in the pipeline, we seem to be well covered through 2012 and into early 2013. Some of the big dev studios have already moved on to next-gen development, so the release schedule will start to slow down in 2013 until the new console hits (late 2013/early 2014).

But the real bummer is that Sony and MS have done their best to strangle the indie and PSN/XBLA markets. Apple and Steam are picking up the slack and taking advantage of the boom in small-size development. Either Sony gets a clue and jumps on the open-platform bandwagon, or they limit themselves to the increasingly expensive and risky AAA market. Judging by the Vita, it looks like Sony is further clamping down rather than opening up--to their own financial detriment.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #244 of 1994 Old 02-25-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Sony allows seff publishing on PSN, maybe it is just expensive?

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #245 of 1994 Old 02-29-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

To do 360/PS3 native development it's a much bigger hurdle (something along the lines of 5+ AAA published titles average per person on the team, devkits are about $10,000 each and your company needs solid funding or whatever). They decide if you get to be a developer not the other way around. Someone at the above email might be able to connect you with the appropriate internal licensing division. However, it's a bit of a walled garden; more or less if you don't know who to contact then you probably aren't already qualified enough for them to think you're worth licensing to. Certainly not "fair" but that is the reality.

If you want to do XBLA you can email arcade@microsoft.com and they'll decide if your development team is experienced enough or has a good enough game to get a license.

You can also just do XNA stuff for XBLIG (Xbox Live Indie Games) on the 360 for free. But in order to publish games, you need to get the App Hub membership which is $100/year. But that's dirt cheap considering it's a one-time cost and you can publish as many games as you like (all games are peer-reviewed before they reach the marketplace). XBLIG is the only way for hobbyists to make games on a modern platform outside of the PC and the mobile platforms.

on other news, Kotaku is throwing out the rumor that the Cell and its descendants are being ditched in the PS4:
http://kotaku.com/5889410/playstatio...-wild-theories

"The PlayStation 4 will not use Sony's Cell processor nor any possible successor to the vaunted chipset that was introduced to the world through the PlayStation 3, gaming industry sources tell Kotaku."
post #246 of 1994 Old 02-29-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As onlysublime points out, there's more to it than there seems. Even if Sony isn't nominally the publisher, they have so much control over each individual PSN title that they may as well be. They have full control over what sees the light of day, they have their own QA (for which they charge), they have a separate approval process for patches, they negotiate licensing terms and bandwidth fees, etc. As I said, they may as well call themselves publishers at that point.

And on XBLIG, there's been a lot of frustration on the part of indie developers over how MS keeps sequestering the storefront further and further from view. There have been a few high-profile developers who have just ditched the platform altogether to go solo or through Steam. And recently Tim Schafer talked about how both PSN and XBLA have been unfulfilled promises to developers and gamers. The trend for self-funded/indie devs is toward direct distribution (via a website), to go through Steam, and/or to focus on iOS development.

Personally, I don't see this trend changing. As both Sony and MS transition toward digital distribution of all titles, we'll see less and less difference between AAA development and PSN/XBLA development. Prices will start moving closer to one another (with prices likely hovering between $20 and $40). Development costs will start getting closer to one another (in the tens of millions). The number of releases will be about the same (a small handful each week). Etc.

I just read an interview with one of the head honchos of XBLA, and he basically said the same thing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Games View Post

Wolf walks through all of this and then we discuss when that line between a downloadable Xbox Live Arcade game and a downloadable retail boxed game is going to lose its meaning. Eventually the Xbox Live Arcade is going to go away, right?

"Personally, I'd say absolutely, yes," Wolf says. "I think digital distribution has to be like that. I don't think XBLA will be leaving soon. It is an incredible platform. We have XBLA fans, I don't think it's going to be announced anytime soon. One thing Microsoft has proven is that we continue to try and adapt and innovate in experiences."

When it happens, when downloadable retail games, indie games, XBLA games all just become games, it won't be because the Xbox Live Arcade program failed, but because it forecasted the future and then delivered it.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...lineup-in-2012

post #247 of 1994 Old 02-29-2012, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

PlayStation 4 Ditching The Cell Processor, Sources Say, Which Leads to Some Wild Theories.

The PlayStation 4 will not use Sony's Cell processor nor any possible successor to the vaunted chipset that was introduced to the world through the PlayStation 3, gaming industry sources tell Kotaku.

What we're hearing from sources follow a Forbes rumor last week that chip-maker AMD would make the graphics chip for a PS4, a shift from the PS3's use of a graphics chip from AMD rival Nvidia.

The abandonment of the Cell architecture would thrill the many game developers who have struggled with the complex chipset, but it could also be viewed as the admission of a mistake.

Cell was the pet project of PlayStation creator Ken Kutaragi, who dreamed that the chipa "Power Processing Element" married to eight "Synergistic Processing Elements"would make the PS3 the most impressive gaming console ever. He spoke of a home equipped with multiple devices that were powered by Cell, all of them linking to each other to increase the computational power driving any of the devices.

Cell was not the revolution Sony hoped and hyped that it would be. It also never managed to make the PS3 appear to be significantly more powerful than the year-older Xbox 360. That could have been the Cell's fault or simply the result of development decisions that compelled game creators to make their games run on both the PS3 and the generally-more-popular Xbox 360.

But with no Cell or Cell successor in the PS4, what would Sony do? Here's where the reporting turns to speculation. One theory I've heard is that AMD will provide both the CPU and GPU for the PS4, meaning that AMD, not Sony, would engineer the main processing and graphics chips for the machine. Should AMD be doing that, they could go with the AMD Fusion architecture, which puts CPU and GPU on the same chip. AMD has already been putting chips like this out (one was considered for the MacBook Air), which would enable Sony to turn to developers and say: you could be working with the PS4 architecture right now; just work on an AMD Llano chip or something. Would developers like that? They'd have to prefer it to Cell andwhat do you knowhere's one of gaming history's best programmers, id's John Carmack, saying in an interview with PC Perspective last year that AMD Fusion-style chip architecture is "almost a forgone conclusion" for the future of computing.

A Sony rep declined to comment on this story, citing the company's policy not to comment on rumors and speculation.

Sony hasn't even acknowledged the existence of the PlayStation 4 let alone detailed the guts within it. But we're beginning to hear trickles of information about Sony's next gen. It's all vaguer than the talk for next Xbox, code-named Durango, which Microsoft has been showing to publisher and developer partners.

The lack of chatter on PS4 would suggest that Sony will once again put its next console out after Microsoft. But if the chipset for the PS4 is actually one that already exists, then aspiring PS4 developers might find themselves capable of ramping up for this new machine faster than expected. And if that happens, the code-named Durango, probable for 2013, might have a sparring partner from Sony sooner than we thought.

It's Kotaku, so grain of salt because they do publish stories to generate clicks. Totilo seems a more responsible editor over there so he's probably genuine in passing on what he's heard.

If this does prove true then a new chipset raises the issue of backwards compatibility, for discs and digital downloads. Folks just got used to buying games a second time digitally, so I can hope they work it out. Rumors are rumors so no worries until reality!

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #248 of 1994 Old 02-29-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

It's Kotaku, so grain of salt because they do publish stories to generate clicks. Totilo seems a more responsible editor over there so he's probably genuine in passing on what he's heard.

If this does prove true then a new chipset raises the issue of backwards compatibility, for discs and digital downloads. Folks just got used to buying games a second time digitally, so I can hope they work it out. Rumors are rumors so no worries until reality!

Xbox 360 was able to do it when they switched from Nvidia to AMD so the possibility is there if it went that route

The 5.0 is here
post #249 of 1994 Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

Considering how much money and developer support it cost Sony to have a unique architecture in the PS3 (at least for its first couple of years on the market), this seems like a reasonable guess. One would hope they wouldn't make the same mistake twice. But, really, I think a lot of what they ultimately decide for PSNext will rest on what goes right/wrong with the Vita.

post #250 of 1994 Old 02-29-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 60
wait, i thought nvidia > amd at the moment? am i wrong?

500 gigs FTW.
post #251 of 1994 Old 03-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

wait, i thought nvidia > amd at the moment? am i wrong?

Well AMD has the fastest single chip card on the planet right now, at least for a couple more weeks, so I don't know about the >... I imagine whether PS4 uses AMD or Nvidia comes down to which one will give them the better pricing for the performance level they want. Both companies have a full portfolio of chips covering the relevant performance spectrum. AMD chips have been doing better than Nvidia regarding power consumption for the same performance level, so it may come down to that.

Enjoying BF4 on the PS4, bugs and all.
post #252 of 1994 Old 03-01-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounta1n View Post

Well AMD has the fastest single chip card on the planet right now, at least for a couple more weeks, so I don't know about the >... I imagine whether PS4 uses AMD or Nvidia comes down to which one will give them the better pricing for the performance level they want. Both companies have a full portfolio of chips covering the relevant performance spectrum. AMD chips have been doing better than Nvidia regarding power consumption for the same performance level, so it may come down to that.

Pretty much, Nvidia has better drivers out of the gate. That seems to be the major difference. If AMD can give them a single chip that meets their CPU and GPU needs and offers full PS3 backwards compatability at a good price, Sony would be fools for not doing it.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #253 of 1994 Old 03-01-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

These are not PCs, so current Windows driver performance is irrelevant. AMD makes APUs, Nvidia does not, so I think if this is true it is about performance per watt, die size and GPU/CPU communication.

post #254 of 1994 Old 03-01-2012, 09:04 AM

Liked: 832
I'm less worried about the GFX aspects of the next consoles. We're already at a point where good enough is, good enough. The Wii offers some lessons, and the explosion of retro and tablet gaming. Sony would be stupid not to be taking notes and think a PS3 -2 is going to be a smart path. This rumor might say they're listening to the market trends.

I'm more interested if Sony has any clue about what to do with the PSN, errr.. SEN. Where are the social aspects? Party system? Voice chat? Clans? Not having their online MP games simply not work the first 3-4 weeks? Are they going to learn the lessons Apple and Android taught? What about XBL?

SEN has all but been abandoned as something to grow for their customers. They came up with a few simple features, functionality that should be standard, and slapped a $ on it and called it PS+.
post #255 of 1994 Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

These are not PCs, so current Windows driver performance is irrelevant. AMD makes APUs, Nvidia does not, so I think if this is true it is about performance per watt, die size and GPU/CPU communication.

Yeah, I should have put it into my post that it has no relation to consoles. Laziness on my part since I was on my phone.

Sony learned a lot from PSN, and you can bet they are planning the PS4 to have cross game chat and other features that the current PS3 hardware doesn't allow thanks to poor vision at the start of the generation. Microsoft got a lot of stuff right with Live, but they need to reinvent their pricing. PS+ got it right, give paying customers more features and free stuff, but playing online needs to be free, especially if online passes keep gaining popularity.

Speaking of online passes, why don't companies offer a 2day free pass for people who don't have codes? It would be tied to your account so you would have a hard time abusing it (well, PSN users could with free accounts) but it would offer people the chance to play the game and see if they want to buy the pass.

As for the graphics, I just want a next gen system to run at 1080p with some AA/AF, and a stable framerate. (no more of this 20fps BS)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #256 of 1994 Old 03-01-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I'm with you guys. Prettier games are nice, but better performance with the basic stuff (load times, download speeds, and multitasking) is where it's at next gen. I would hope for a jump in performance similar to the jump in graphics the last time.

Here's another story that corroborates the Kotaku rumor above. It's behind a registration wall so just a piece:

Quote:

I recently heard from a reputable source that the forthcoming Sony console is "essentially a PC" in terms of its technological make-up and in this sense, an AMD collaboration on the CPU holds many attractions - for the first time since the launch of the original Xbox, we could well be seeing an x86 processor in a console. It may be hard to imagine that the company that brought us the Cell would be embracing PC tech so wholeheartedly, but a look at the make-up of Vita suggests a fundamental shift in the way Sony builds its consoles in the wake of Ken Kutaragi's departure.

It's not about exotic, groundbreaking hardware anymore, it's all about creating the best possible games machine with an enviable set of development tools - and it's an approach that has already yielded results. While PlayStation Vita may lack a stand-out killer app, I still think that it's set the bar in terms of overall quality and quantity over and above any console launch I've seen in over 21 years in the business. Extrapolating that same philosophy towards PlayStation 4 makes a PC-style approach to Sony's next console seem very likely indeed.

via gamesindustry.biz

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #257 of 1994 Old 03-01-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I also want to see the PS4 adopt MS' hdd install option. No more of this mandatory partial install, full installs to the hdd would help the system quite a bit.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #258 of 1994 Old 03-04-2012, 03:25 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Considering how much money and developer support it cost Sony to have a unique architecture in the PS3 (at least for its first couple of years on the market), this seems like a reasonable guess. One would hope they wouldn't make the same mistake twice.

OK, but what about the unique, not to mention horribly outdated architecture of the Wii? They were still able to clean up this gen, in part because the architecture itself was carryover from GC.

Sony, if they chose to capitalize on it, would be in exactly the same position as Nintendo was at the start of this gen. The main difference being that a next-gen Cell-based machine could still keep up, more or less, with the competition.

The fact that Sony suits seem to be comletely oblivious to the real lesson of the Wii is mind-boggling.
post #259 of 1994 Old 03-04-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

I also want to see the PS4 adopt MS' hdd install option. No more of this mandatory partial install, full installs to the hdd would help the system quite a bit.

That won't work so well next gen, most games are going to be 10+GB, only a portion of that is data needed to keep load times down, the rest is various languages, FMV, etc.

An intelligent partial install is the best, the disc has to be inside for both anyhow.

They will probably try to eliminate the need for a HD altogether.

post #260 of 1994 Old 03-04-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That won't work so well next gen, most games are going to be 10+GB, only a portion of that is data needed to keep load times down, the rest is various languages, FMV, etc.

An intelligent partial install is the best, the disc has to be inside for both anyhow.

They will probably try to eliminate the need for a HD altogether.

With the move to digital, getting all games to have an install 100% option is a step in that direction. HDD sizes are only going to get bigger from here on out. Microsoft has set the bar here and a 50gb install is nothing on a 1tb hdd. (which is what I expect to see in the next gen)

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
post #261 of 1994 Old 03-04-2012, 01:14 PM

Right, but people are vastly overestimating DD. The infrastructure in the US isn't there, and the market has been moving AWAY for it (packet filtering, bandwidth caps, ect) even as the consumer has demanded it MORE.

Games and non compressed HD video and audio is 25-50GB. 3D and 4K and, with games, higher texture resolution are only going to increase that. What ISP is going to allow it? Very few could even support it, let alone allow it for todays prices.

DD will be part of the solution / option to the next consoles, but it's not there as the game changer yet.

That said, I do want HDD installs. It's less noise, it's less wear and tear on the console and it's generally faster. 250GB+ will probably be standard in all consoles and sku's next gen, so use it!

I'm still blown away to this day that MGS4 doesn't have the option for a full HDD install. Great game, but such a PITA to play what you want to play when you want to play it because of a very smart design decision that didn't bother to allow a full install option.
post #262 of 1994 Old 03-04-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsuke View Post

OK, but what about the unique, not to mention horribly outdated architecture of the Wii? They were still able to clean up this gen, in part because the architecture itself was carryover from GC.

Sony, if they chose to capitalize on it, would be in exactly the same position as Nintendo was at the start of this gen. The main difference being that a next-gen Cell-based machine could still keep up, more or less, with the competition.

The fact that Sony suits seem to be comletely oblivious to the real lesson of the Wii is mind-boggling.

It's always possible that Sony sticks to their guns, but based on what they're doing with Vita, it looks like they're trying to go both ways: build on what came before, while attempting to curry favor with developers. It's still too early to guess how successful they'll be with the Vita, or what lessons they'll carry over to the next console.

Regardless, the market is in the process of blowing wide open, so making an idiosyncratic console makes little sense. Consoles, portables, mobile devices, PCs, and displays are starting to move closer to parity--and mobile and PC formats are gaining serious steam over the past two years. Tough to justify sticking to a strange processing architecture unless you know you have a sure-fire hit device.

post #263 of 1994 Old 03-05-2012, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

especially if online passes keep gaining popularity.

Speaking of online passes, why don't companies offer a 2day free pass for people who don't have codes?

I hate online passes because it means I have to spend money. But in the grand scheme of things, paying $10 for an online pass is much cheaper than paying $60 for a new game that comes with the online pass.

People are factoring in the cost of the used game but you chose to buy it used. And buying it used only fills the coffers of used stores like Gamestop. It's nobody's choice but their own to pay a middleman.

And how can they gripe that they had to pay $10 for a game when it originally cost $60?

I buy most of my games used and it sucks to have to determine whether it's cheaper to get a new game on sale (but have to wait for the sale) or buy it used earlier and miss out on included DLC or an online pass, but that's because i chose to buy it used. It's like people want their cake and be able to eat it too.

That said, I do avoid used games that need online passes. There's more than enough great games out there to get and I'm not desperate to play any given game.

My only rule is I try to avoid EA games at all cost because of online passes, because they run their own servers (and can thus shut down game servers prematurely), often require an EA account, and all the rest of the sucky things that EA does.
post #264 of 1994 Old 03-05-2012, 04:40 PM

Anyone else reading the Valve box rumors?

No licensing fees, standardized hardware, pretty much wide open dev system with the steam marketplace behind it. They want to synergize their large game marketplace with standardized hardware that dev's can build to knowing it won't change much, ala consoles life-cycles and reliability.

Looks like Valve sees the future, and it's pretty much what I and some other have said Sony needs to do to be competitive and open new markets up.

This is going to complicate things, especially if Sony doesn't have the proper fordight and the balls to do whats needed.
post #265 of 1994 Old 03-05-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a PC.

Running a crappy OS with OTS parts. The games will still be configurable and must run on many other PC. It will have all the negatives of a PC and none of the positives of a console.

post #266 of 1994 Old 03-05-2012, 05:26 PM

Doesn't sound like it to me.

By all intents and purposes the XMB is a crappy OS too. The VBox is rumored to have a controller lines up as well.

Sounds more like a fusion of PC/Console/Steam and the forward thinking and development of apple/android app stores.
post #267 of 1994 Old 03-05-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

By all intents and purposes the XMB is a crappy OS too. The VBox is rumored to have a controller lines up as well.

Sounds more like a fusion of PC/Console/Steam and the forward thinking and development of apple/android app stores.

Posted my thoughts in the other thread, but I'm with you on this. Valve's timing couldn't be more perfect, and most PC devs will welcome this in a big way. Most PC devs have already jumped ship to consoles. Those that are currently focused on PC are mostly small, indie devs who aren't pushing the hardware that much, and many of the greatest PC studios are now console studios. It's gotten too expensive to push the tech on PCs only. And current consoles aren't all that different from PCs in terms of everyday use for media/games. It'd cut costs, increase the userbase for Steam and PC gaming, and it would light some serious fire under console manufacturers' asses.

Perfect timing. Could be a very interesting E3.

post #268 of 1994 Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

I'm not talking about design, I'm talking about functionality. Windows is made to run everything, not games. I think you are getting your hopes up, Valve cannot control the PC market, they can only make a PC. Sure they can have Steam-box profiles for PC (or Steam) releases and it's own controller. So? It is just a PC getting normal PC games. It is also going to go obsolete much faster than a console since you cannot run on the metal, just DirectX. Or they can just make it $999 and it will last six years like a console.

post #269 of 1994 Old 03-06-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:

I'm not talking about design, I'm talking about functionality. Windows is made to run everything, not games. I think you are getting your hopes up, Valve cannot control the PC market, they can only make a PC. Sure they can have Steam-box profiles for PC (or Steam) releases and it's own controller. So? It is just a PC getting normal PC games. It is also going to go obsolete much faster than a console since you cannot run on the metal, just DirectX. Or they can just make it $999 and it will last six years like a console.

Who says this is a windows box? Why would valve even bother loading windows on it?

Right there you free up quite a bit of resources by designing a minimal OS made for gaming, not multitask environments.

Yeah it might not work. But then again Valve has huge brand loyalty with PC gamers, and PC dev's have been PRAYING for some sort of standardization in the PC market. Everything else has been trending that way (including PC gaming to point: Open GL is defunct, DX is in. AMD and Intel bought Nvidia and ATI... so chip architecture is down to two manufactures). It's not going to be all sunshine, but it's the way the market is trending and is absolutely something Dev's and Publishers want. Gamers do too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Posted my thoughts in the other thread, but I'm with you on this. Valve's timing couldn't be more perfect, and most PC devs will welcome this in a big way. Most PC devs have already jumped ship to consoles. Those that are currently focused on PC are mostly small, indie devs who aren't pushing the hardware that much, and many of the greatest PC studios are now console studios. It's gotten too expensive to push the tech on PCs only. And current consoles aren't all that different from PCs in terms of everyday use for media/games. It'd cut costs, increase the userbase for Steam and PC gaming, and it would light some serious fire under console manufacturers' asses.

Perfect timing. Could be a very interesting E3.

This. How much bitching has everyone heard of the console basteridation of games? Even BF3 isn't immune to it. The market is already there, with the majority of developers making games for the least common denominator and adding a few bells and whistles for the PC market.

And guess what, it's not going away. It's trending towards it more and more every year.

But a PC-Box; without licensing costs and OS costs, and standardized hardware that Dev's can key in to directly is something that might actually give better games to the PC crowd in this environment, while making dev's happy campers. It be much more worth a developers effort to key a product into one standard (but above average) PC-Box, while also dealing with consoles, than to have to deal with every PC out there.
post #270 of 1994 Old 03-06-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Instead of windows we just need a simple open source style OS. Something with basic file management, music and movie player support, and a solid web browser. Offer a basic dev kit for free that runs on the system itself (built into the system) and give AAA devs a more advanced kit for porting their games to be optimized for that hardware setup.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page