The Pinball Arcade - the ultimate pinball simulator! (PSV / PS3 / PS4) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #271 of 377 Old 05-22-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I love Pinball Arcade on the Vita. It so much more responsive than the PS3.

My PS3 is a glorified 60 inch Playstation Store interface anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 377 Old 05-30-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i cannot download the PSPlus pinball at all -- on two different ps3s -- or on my Vita.
I select it to download, it spins, then it says "an error has occurred" and it brings me back to the store front interface.

I have no Pinball elements on any of the systems -- and other downloads work fine -- has anyone seen or experienced this before?

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #273 of 377 Old 05-31-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post

i cannot download the PSPlus pinball at all -- on two different ps3s -- or on my Vita.
I select it to download, it spins, then it says "an error has occurred" and it brings me back to the store front interface.

I have no Pinball elements on any of the systems -- and other downloads work fine -- has anyone seen or experienced this before?

It's a known problem that Sony says they are still working on, according to comments in the PS Blog.

I hope that they "make up" for this problem when it's finally fixed by offering us a DLC table pack or two. (dare to dream)
post #274 of 377 Old 05-31-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Damn! I could have saved $5 if I would have run into this problem. biggrin.gif
post #275 of 377 Old 05-31-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

It's a known problem that Sony says they are still working on, according to comments in the PS Blog.

I hope that they "make up" for this problem when it's finally fixed by offering us a DLC table pack or two. (dare to dream)

Thanks for that --

PSN: Wrassle
360: Burnt of Wrassl
post #276 of 377 Old 06-22-2013, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 208
No, we won't get a slew of free Cross-Purchase tables when the PS4 version hits, but this is the next best thing fellow pinballers:
Quote:
Our fans got an early look at the PlayStation 4 version of the Pinball Arcade at the E3 show in Los Angeles last week. We were part of the Sony booth, and the game was amazingly well-received by pinball aficionados and novices alike. Our new PS4 lighting technology allows us to model individual lights for each of the 100+ lamps on the typical pinball table (complete with attenuation, blooms, and reflections). The result so far is a level of graphical realism never before seen in a video pinball game and it's going to get even better as we continue to improve the technology!

Check out the video below for a sneak peek. In more good news, Sony has announced a Cross Discount feature for the PS4. This will allow us to offer customers who have previously purchased Pinball Arcade content on other Sony platforms a discount when they buy that content on PS4.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #277 of 377 Old 06-22-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Terminator 2: Judgement Day pinball machine kickstarter has begun. Farsight also hints that their next KS project could be the immortal classic, The Addams Family!

post #278 of 377 Old 07-07-2013, 02:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I was reading up on the issues that prevent the Star Trek: The Next Generation table from being available for the 360, so I used up the last few dollars I had in my PSN store account and bought TPA and the ST:TNG table.

Then I found out the hard way that TPA on the PS3 lags like crazy. I wasn't thrilled with the ball mechanics versus FX2 when I sampled tables on the 360, but that was a tiny issue compared to this. A search for PS3 Pinball Arcade Lag led me here.

Since this is a fresh purchase with a required update tacked on before I could play, I'm assuming there's no manufacturer fix to be had. Somewhere, I read about using the pro table adjustments to change flipper settings. Has that helped anyone? I got 145 million on the one game I played, but many many balls were lost for no GOOD reason.

It was going to be so COOL to play ST:TNG again. By 1997, the last few working tables were a ripoff due to things like being adjusted so the ball rolled slowly, probably to lessen the wear on the guts.

This is the first PS3 game I've bought that simply sucks. I'll be returning to my SOP of buying only PS3 exclusives...

LIVE: mikepaul
post #279 of 377 Old 07-07-2013, 03:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Nowhere near as bad as you try to make it sound. The game has been confirmed to have one frame of lag in 1080P, which is less than 99% of the HDTVs that add more than that on their own. Forcing the game to be in 720P (from the XMB) removes the issue if someone desires. I tried it both ways and am fine in standard 1080P.

The developer Farsight has identified the problem and it will be fixed in a future patch. Perhaps the same one that brings stereoscopic 3D, but we don't know. Until then, 1/60th of a second of lag is nowhere near the realm of "crazy", but to each their own. Most HDTVs have 2--3 frames at issue, which could make things feel worse for some when combined with the current issue.

I play on my PS3 AND Vita version (which are sold together for one price). The Vita is the most perfect lag free environment available since the game runs flawlessly and the screen has zero lag. I have gotten my best scores, however, on the PS3 version in all but two tables (including one awesome run that cracked a top 100 leader board that includes lagless mobile scores). Never have I felt I lost a ball to anything other than my play on either platform.

post #280 of 377 Old 07-07-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Nowhere near as bad as you try to make it sound. The game has been confirmed to have one frame of lag in 1080P, which is less than 99% of the HDTVs that add more than that on their own. Forcing the game to be in 720P (from the XMB) removes the issue if someone desires. I tried it both ways and am fine in standard 1080P.

The developer Farsight has identified the problem and it will be fixed in a future patch. Perhaps the same one that brings stereoscopic 3D, but we don't know. Until then, 1/60th of a second of lag is nowhere near the realm of "crazy", but to each their own. Most HDTVs have 2--3 frames at issue, which could make things feel worse for some when combined with the current issue.

I play on my PS3 AND Vita version (which are sold together for one price). The Vita is the most perfect lag free environment available since the game runs flawlessly and the screen has zero lag. I have gotten my best scores, however, on the PS3 version in all but two tables (including one awesome run that cracked a top 100 leader board that includes lagless mobile scores). Never have I felt I lost a ball to anything other than my play on either platform.
So I, and the multitude of posts you'll find Googling for PS3 Pinball Arcade Lag, are just wrong? http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/509-PS3-input-lag-issue and its follow-up thread seem like a good reference. Some say lag, some say what lag? Some have workarounds, some expect better software and think the developer is lame.

I tried 720p. My PS3 is now set to only use 720p and 480p. No change in flipper response. When I wait until the ball is where I want it to be before squeezing the trigger, the ball rolls off and is (usually) lost. Hitting the ball as best I can is not the way I play pinball. I like to send the ball at a target, not just slap it around and hope that it hits something that gives me points.

When I tried TPA on my 360 quite a while back, there was no lag. Just no table I thought was worth paying for, on top of how FX2 seems more of a good pinball simulation to me. Without ST:TNG on the 360, still no reason to buy it yet.

I do not get this kind of lag on Daxter & Jak. Or when I played Uncharted 2. For whatever reason you are not really in NEED of a patch, I salute you. However, this is where YMMV is an important point, because my lag mileage varies a lot from yours. And it's not my fingers because my fingers make other games respond far far faster than Pinball Arcade responds...

post #281 of 377 Old 07-07-2013, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I just revisited playing the new White Water level on the PS3 and the plasma.

So many late flipper hits and lag.

Set my TV to Game mode, and it went away.

Ive never had to set my plasma on game mode before. Maybe that'll help you on ST:TNG.
post #282 of 377 Old 07-07-2013, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ Makes sense. Grossly overstating the effects of 1/60th of as second delay is one thing, but seeing imaginary lag in the game @720P when it is only in 1080P suggests the problem is in the display.

post #283 of 377 Old 07-07-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

I just revisited playing the new White Water level on the PS3 and the plasma.

So many late flipper hits and lag.

Set my TV to Game mode, and it went away.

Ive never had to set my plasma on game mode before. Maybe that'll help you on ST:TNG.
My Sony KDL-40V4100 does not SEEM to have a 'game mode'. Poking around on the Internet for adjustment advice.

Edit: found it, hiding in plain sight near 'Cinemotion'. Will set the PS3's HDMI to use it and find out if it helps.

Other folks have asked why they need to make such adjustments when other games don't seem to REQUIRE it. I'm starting to think the game is too busy drawing the balls to pay attention to what the user is doing with the flipper, and changing how the screen is updated seems to bridge the gap. Catch a ball and then toss it, there's plenty of control.

And it's not just ST:TNG, it's all TPA games. Although with some luck and patience my new ST:TNG high score is over 1.4 billion. Then I only get 75 million before the balls all go away. I need more luck...

post #284 of 377 Old 07-07-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

^^^ Makes sense. Grossly overstating the effects of 1/60th of as second delay is one thing, but seeing imaginary lag in the game @720P when it is only in 1080P suggests the problem is in the display.
What's with the 'imaginary' lag? Do you have stock in Farsight Studios and go around defending the game wherever necessary?

As I pointed out, there are workarounds for badly programmed software. One of them seems to be to artificially match the poor flipper response to the displayed game via a 'game mode' setting on the display device. This is not what one should HAVE to do, it's what one does as needed. Just like how some folks went to a PC monitor as a workaround. I don't have one big enough to use and still enjoy the game.

You don't need workarounds, or your system was luckily pre-configured as needed? Peachy. Now knock off the 'imaginary' crap and 'grossly overstating' and any other comments you feel you need to make. You apparently ignored YMMV or don't know it means Your Mileage May Vary. Yours varies from mine. Now go away...

post #285 of 377 Old 07-07-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, in 720P you are imagining things (fact). In 1080P you are exaggerating things (opinion). Back in December, the developer confirmed that they needed to devote 1/60th of a second (one frame) of resources to the post processing of the real time lighting engine in 1080P, a feature currently exclusive to the PS3 version:
Quote:
“Well I think the Vita’s main complaint is we don’t have any HDR lighting, there’s no real time lighting effects, which we do have on the PS3, which is why there’s a slight lag. There was a bigger lag, we actually improved that in the update patch that I think was in October. It went from being a 2 frame lag from HDR lighting to 1 frame lag that’s still there for 1080, but it’s there because we’re doing this post processing thing. In order to have the lighting technology that we do and run at 60fps, we need an extra frame to process everything after the controller input.”

Farsight later confirmed that a fix is on the way. Estimation is it'll probably be out when the 3D feature is added or soon after.

You are the one coming here for advice. If you choose to ignore information that could help you, then that's your problem. However, when you toss around wild speculation not based in reality and confusing everybody, don't get mad and call people names when it is shot down with facts.

But to answer your question anyway: no I am no a stockholder with FS, but I have given them $30 for their Terminator 2 Kickstarter project. Why not contribute a donation yourself?

post #286 of 377 Old 07-08-2013, 07:10 AM

Liked: 10
My brother had horrible lag playing TPA, he has a supposed 240 hz 3d display, as soon as game mode was turned on, the lag went away. My brother isnt very observant, he tried to say he didnt see the lag, maybe he was trying to defend his tv purchase, now that is a change, a guy that cant see lag when it is very obvious it was there. He hasnt turned game mode off since I made the correction.
post #287 of 377 Old 07-08-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, even with Game Mode on your brother likely still has a frame or two of lag, but that is much more managable than the crazy lag added due to HDTV processing. Good job helping him out.

I have two HDTVs in the house: a 60" Sony 3D flatscreen with all the fixings, and a 42" Panasonic display with a lag-free IPS-Alpha panel. When I have a couple of fighting game buddies over for some serious rounds of Tekken (the next session is Wednesday), I'll sometimes use the Panny for the best possible experience. Even still, with Game Mode turned on the 60 incher we all agree that it isn't too bad at all. I find the same to be true for Pinball Arcade.

post #288 of 377 Old 07-08-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have a 42" Sammy LCD, game mode is permanently on. I can't stand 120hz and/or AMP processing. In general, I just simply don't like LCDs.

My 60" is a Panny plasma. Lag free. I still see lag on Pinball Arcade.
post #289 of 377 Old 07-08-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

No one said it's not there, or even completely imperceptible by some. Just that you can force it away, until the patch arrives, in 720P, and that the 1-frame issue currently present in 1080P (down from two frames before October) isn't lagging "like crazy" in and of itself.

Generally speaking, the combination of a less than stellar display, its settings, as well as the game is the cause of some people's problems. It can help sometimes to address each component to help them get the best possible experience.

BTW, I wasn't aware that Panasonic made a 60" lag free display. I'm curious; what model is it?

post #290 of 377 Old 07-08-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Let's just say it is about as lag free as you can get. P60ST50. There are lots of threads, reviews, etc. over on the flat panel section of this forum regarding how lag-free these sets are.

I'm not trying to start an argument, in fact 99.999% of the time we agree on all things PS3. It's just this one game we've ever not agreed on. I see lag, you don't. I'm extremely sure it's not the set. I see no lag on ANY other games. And we DO agree that there is ZERO lag on the Vita version of this game. If it just had a bigger screen... wink.gif
post #291 of 377 Old 07-08-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I've pretty much given up on this game due to lag on my five year old Panny plasma (800u). I guess I just don't love TPA enough to go to the trouble of switching my PS3 settings to 720p output every time I play, or changing my TV's settings to game mode, assuming it would even work. Hopefully a patch will finally be released that provides a true fix (I had always heard some of the earlier patches were supposed to fix it), and I can consider possibly even picking up some DLC tables. Note, I had no problems with Williams Hall of Fame Pinball using the same TV and settings.
post #292 of 377 Old 07-08-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yep, the developer said a fix is coming. No ETA yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Let's just say it is about as lag free as you can get. P60ST50. There are lots of threads, reviews, etc. over on the flat panel section of this forum regarding how lag-free these sets are.

I'm not trying to start an argument, in fact 99.999% of the time we agree on all things PS3. It's just this one game we've ever not agreed on. I see lag, you don't. I'm extremely sure it's not the set. I see no lag on ANY other games. And we DO agree that there is ZERO lag on the Vita version of this game. If it just had a bigger screen... wink.gif
Heh, I wanted to know so that if I were in the market again for a lag free 60 incher I'd keep an eye out for it. That's cool though that it is highly rated in that area. Not enough gamers take the time to factor that in when TV shopping.

I've never said there is absolutely no difference between the two TPA versions. Obviously there are, and obviously it is best to have 0 frames lost instead of 1. But on my sub 1-frame 42" Panny with the PS3 version in 1080P (well, it's my girls' HDTV technically), the 1-frame difference barely registers a blip of difference. On a standard HDTV with 2+ frames of lag it can be more noticeable.

When you think about it, having 1-frame of lost from the game while playing on a lag free display is actually better than playing a lag free version on an average 2+ frame laggy HDTV. For some people, I think that combination of the two makes for the worst experience. Hopefully Farsight puts out their patch soon so their is one less contributor in the pipeline to the problem.

post #293 of 377 Old 07-08-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

They should add a calibration menu item.

Tap the flippers to the green flashing screen.

Adjust video w/ 60 ms of delay, etc.
post #294 of 377 Old 07-19-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The kickstarter for the Terminator 2 table has been funded a few days ahead of schedule. Farsight hints that all extra money raised will go toward The Addams Family kickstarter which is my all-time favorite pinball machine. cool.gif

post #295 of 377 Old 07-20-2013, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wish they would say what the discount details will be for ps3 owners to cross buy the ps4 versions. I don't want to buy any more tables until then.
post #296 of 377 Old 08-31-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The PlayStation 4 version is confirmed to become available on the system's launch day of November 15th! Here is a Cirqus Voltaire screen shot and a quick look promo video:

DaverJ likes this.

post #297 of 377 Old 09-28-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here are some new images of the PS4 version (sweet looking lighting engine):

post #298 of 377 Old 09-29-2013, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Will all of your table purchases transfer like on the Vita over or will you have to buy then again?

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS
Toshiba 39L2300U (My Bedroom) - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 Wired. Apple TV Wireless
Toshiba 32RV530U (Living Room) - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim Wired

Cats are the best pets
post #299 of 377 Old 09-29-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Will all of your table purchases transfer like on the Vita over or will you have to buy then again?
For the ps4? See #276.

" Sony has announced a Cross Discount feature for the PS4. This will allow us to offer customers who have previously purchased Pinball Arcade content on other Sony platforms a discount when they buy that content on PS4."
post #300 of 377 Old 11-06-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The PS4 version of TPA is set to launch with the new console in less than two weeks!

The special pricing has been announced for current owners: if you purchased the Season 1 pack for PS3 / Vita -or- purchased at least four individual packs (usually two tables per pack), then you can buy Season 1 on the PS4 for 50% off.

Here's the latest Farsight discussion video which includes PS4 talk:

DaverJ likes this.

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Pinball Hall Of Fame The Williams Collection Brunswick Pro Bowling Cocoto Fishing Master Playstation

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page