The Pinball Arcade - the ultimate pinball simulator! (PSV / PS3 / PS4) - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #61 of 377 Old 04-24-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Agree with Brakel, there IS lag in the PS3 game. My Panasonic ST50 plasma is known to have less lag that most, if not all, TVs on the market today. I've tried setting it in game mode, and it's still there. It's just like in Zen Pinball - hit the flipper button, pause, flipper reacts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 377 Old 04-24-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 205
One of life's mysteries I suppose. I used the same timing to hit the ball into the Bazaar with the left flipper as well as the central ramp with the right. I get just about the same results with each whether I play on the HDTV or the lag free monitor.

The one obvious difference between the two to me is that the ball travels faster on PA compared to the WC version because the table is tilted more. As a result, it is easier to hold the flipper to catch the ball on the older game.

With that said, flipper action does have a different feel on Arabian Nights compared to Black Hole, but machines feel different in real life too.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

post #63 of 377 Old 04-24-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

Read your post and just got 100Mil. Almost saved the princess twice.

The secret is to fill up the sword asap.

Fantastic! I almost saved her twice last night (one skeleton left to kill, grrrrr) in my tests but didn't get that high a score. I agree that selecting a free jewel (or two) in the Bazaar is the way to go... unless you DON'T go for the jewels and quickly try and beat the seven challenges manually for that score?

More than any other modern table I've played from this video pinball developer, I feel Arabian Nights gives you an easier chance to complete the story. I hear Ripley's is pretty lenient though so I want to really dive into it next.

post #64 of 377 Old 05-18-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The uber-popular Twilight Zone table will be added... but only if the Kickstarter fundraising goal of $55,000 is reached in 30 days:

Quote:

We’ve received many requests to bring the Twilight Zone pinball table to the Pinball Arcade. This table was released by Midway under the Bally label and is unquestionably one of the greatest pinball tables of all time (in fact it’s currently #1 in user rankings on the Internet Pinball Database!) We’ve finally succeeded in negotiating all of the licenses we’d need to bring the Twilight Zone to the Pinball Arcade. Unfortunately when we add up the costs of each required license and calculate what we’d have to charge for the table, we’ve realized that the Twilight Zone is just not commercially viable. So we’ve decided to try crowd-funding the cost of the licenses.

We’ve set up a Kickstarter project for the Twilight Zone (just the licenses, not the development costs- we’ll cover all of those ourselves). If we can raise enough money through Kickstarter we’ll be able to digitize the Twilight Zone and preserve one of the greatest pinball tables of all time. If we don’t reach our goal no credit cards will be charged, but if we raise more than our goal we’ll be able to digitize other licensed tables as well (like Star Trek: The Next Generation!) We’ve put together a tempting list of rewards to say “thank you” for helping out. Plus the top five contributors will get their initials featured as the default high scores for the table, immortalizing them as true pinball fanatics! Check out our Kickstarter site and video using the link below. Please join us!

post #65 of 377 Old 05-22-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Another PSN update yet still no new tables. I am bored to death playing the same four tables over and over and over..... again so I have not played the game for nearly two weeks now.

guess it is BS that they are going to release two new tables a month. May ends next week. I don't count the mobile devices as I rather play on my big TV.

Earthlink Extreme powered by Time Warner Cable Brooklyn.
ASUS RT-N66W Router 374.43 (Merlin Build) using OpenDNS.
Toshiba 39L2300U - Amazon Fire TV, Sony PS4 all Wired.
Toshiba 32RV530U - Roku 3, Sony PS3 Slim all Wired.
Cats are the best pets.
post #66 of 377 Old 05-22-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Another PSN update yet still no new tables.

From Farsight email newsletter:

"Add-on pack #1: Medieval Madness and Bride of PinBot as well as add-on pack #2: Circus Voltaire and Funhouse are currently in submission and will be released in June in North America for PS3, PS Vita and Xbox 360. "
post #67 of 377 Old 05-22-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Has anyone had a problem where the digital scoreboard in the upper left corner disappears from time to time. I've seen that happen on more than one occasion on "Tales" and "Magic." I don't know if I'm doing something to trigger it or it's a glitch. It has ruined more than one good game for me on those tables.
post #68 of 377 Old 05-23-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

There's a trigger for it. Off the top of my head I can't remember what it is.
post #69 of 377 Old 05-23-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
2 new tables. Nice.
post #70 of 377 Old 05-23-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

There's a trigger for it. Off the top of my head I can't remember what it is.

Triangle turns the dot matrix display on and off. Square locks/unlocks the dynamic camera while Circle cycles between the camera angle settings.

~~~

Wow, its only been five days and the Twilight Zone kickstarter fund raiser has already reached 60% of its goal to publish the table this Fall.

post #71 of 377 Old 05-23-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Triangle turns the dot matrix display on and off. Square locks/unlocks the dynamic camera while Circle cycles between the camera angle settings.

Thanks!
post #72 of 377 Old 05-23-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

From Farsight email newsletter:

"Add-on pack #1: Medieval Madness and Bride of PinBot as well as add-on pack #2: Circus Voltaire and Funhouse are currently in submission and will be released in June in North America for PS3, PS Vita and Xbox 360. "

Thanks. I don't get newsletters or follow social media. I thought so that they might release four tables in June. Cant wait for FunHouse my favorite.

Anyway back to Marvel Pinball until they come out as I am bored with the current tables and I beat my high score so many times.

Cats are the best pets.
post #73 of 377 Old 05-23-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Thanks. I don't get newsletters or follow social media. I thought so that they might release four tables in June. Cant wait for FunHouse my favorite.

Anyway back to Marvel Pinball until they come out as I am bored with the current tables and I beat my high score so many times.

FunHouse is my fav too, and based on the iPad version, the PA console version is going to be even better than the excellent Pinball Hall of Fame version. Also, the second table in the Funhouse pack is Cirqus Voltaire, which I had never heard of, and it's also quite excellent too!

Are you checking the leaderboards to see what scores people on your friends list, possibly in this thread, are achieving? That's a strong encouragement to keep playing and beating those scores. I wish these leaderboards were better integrated into the game - Zen Studios seems to have a much better grasp on this than FarSight.

Also finishing all the table goals is another motivator. But still - if you are sick of the 4 tables, it's a tough couple weeks' wait until the next pack(s) are released.
post #74 of 377 Old 05-30-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Well no new tables this week. When in June it better be the first or second week and not the last week of June. Next week there will be more worthless RockBand and LBP2 add-on content instead as usual.

Cats are the best pets.
post #75 of 377 Old 05-30-2012, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A slight diversion... The Terminator 2 pinball machine isn't available on any PS3 pinball games, correct?
post #76 of 377 Old 06-01-2012, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ No, it isn't available in digital form anywhere. Maybe it will be added sometime down the line. That's also one of my favorite machines - back in the day it was so easy to hit those two ramps over and over and over...

~~~

It looks like the kickstarter campaign will be a success for Twilight Zone. They are halfway through the allowed time frame and have raised 86% of the funds. TZ is my all-time favorite TV show, so I chipped in $10. The machine is rated near the top all time in gamer ratings, so I look forward to playing it for the first time.

Because they are near the goal, they hope to double their contributions by the deadline so that they can license Star Trek: The Next Generation. That table is also ranked highly so maybe it'll get enough backers.

post #77 of 377 Old 06-01-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I hope down the road they are able to get Elvira's Scared Stiff, Road Show and Pirates of the Carribean.
post #78 of 377 Old 06-06-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Nevermind Twilight Zone what about the two tables promised last month and the two from this month. This week there is still no new tables just the same old boring four that the game comes with. All they added to the PSN was the demo. Well when I wasted my money on this game because there are still no new tables I already downloaded the demo and a unlock key in April.

Cats are the best pets.
post #79 of 377 Old 06-06-2012, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The delay is more due to Sony having a stupidly slow approval process. The new tables were submitted ages ago but Sony is too busy working on Wonderbook failware instead of dealing with incoming submissions to PSN.

Cheers
post #80 of 377 Old 06-06-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Are the new tables on the XBox 360 version? If not then there is something fishy.

Cats are the best pets.
post #81 of 377 Old 06-06-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice View Post

Are the new tables on the XBox 360 version? If not then there is something fishy.

From a FarSight Facebook post:

Here's a status update on new tables for our long-suffering console fans!

The first table pack (Medieval Madness and Bride of PinBot) will be released for the PS Vita on June 12th, and for the PlayStation 3 on June 26th.

The second table pack (Cirqus Voltaire and Funhouse) will be released for the PlayStation 3 on June 26th and for the PS Vita on July 3rd.

We have been having difficulty getting Microsoft to approve the new tables for the Xbox 360. The problem centers around a little-known Microsoft limitation of 4 MB on the size of the title update for the game code. We can package the data for each table separately, but the code for the new tables is larger than 4 MB and must be in the update. We have finally convinced them to grant us an exception, so we'll be resubmitting all 4 new tables tomorrow and rolling them out to you just as quickly as we can. We'll announce the date when we know it.

The European versions of the PlayStation 3 and PS Vita games will reach the end of their certification cycles this week. We hope to have dates to report to you very soon.

Thanks to everyone for your patience as we work to get these released- we know how frustrating it is to not be able to play these great new tables. We apologize if sometimes it seems we're slow on releasing information, but we don't want to give you a date that turns out later to be wrong. We do read every post, email, and rant.

Thanks again for supporting us!
post #82 of 377 Old 06-07-2012, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to toppling my Medieval Madness high score.

post #83 of 377 Old 06-08-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update. As I said before I don't follow social media.

June 26th the new tables better come out for the PS3 and I will buy all four the day they come out. Until then the game can sit there unplayed as I can't even play it because it is so boring now with the current tables.

Cats are the best pets.
post #84 of 377 Old 06-09-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Do we need to read into how vita tables have independent release dates versus PS3 tables ?

Will buying one still include the other ?

To me its says no and they are separate purchases.
post #85 of 377 Old 06-19-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Next week June 26th there better be those four new tables. I understand this week not releasing them the same time because of Marvel Pinball new tables coming out..

Cats are the best pets.
post #86 of 377 Old 06-19-2012, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Directly from the developer's Facebook page....
Quote:
As announced previously, Table Packs 1 and 2 will be released for the Vita in North America on June 26th. Today Sony granted our petition to move the release date for Table Pack 2 on PlayStation3 up to match that of the Vita, so it will also be available on June 26th (instead of July 3rd). So let the record reflect that sometimes we're early instead of late smile.gif

post #87 of 377 Old 06-26-2012, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

We finally got an update! Four new tables are on the store today in packs of two (they work for PS3 and Vita with no additional purchase):

Medieval Madness
Bride of Pinbot

Funhouse
Cirqus Voltaire

To get it to work, I had to delete the old Pinball Arcade game and re-download everything. Some of you who haven't bought DLC may want to do this before you buy a table or the DLC might not initially show up.

~~~

I jumped right into Medieval Madness, my favorite table from the Williams Collection. In the my first game I cleared all of the standard goals and got close to 110 million while destroying four of the six castles. My best in the old collection was 173 million, but I usually play for castle destruction instead of going for high scores with all the other objectives that rack up the points.

There are quite a few changes to this version compared to the Williams Collection version. The brightness has been toned WAY down in the new one, and as it turns out, the new lowered brightness has been applied to the launch tables too in Pinball Arcade. I guess they think that the flashing lights on icons stand out better this way (I wish they let us adjust it in the option menu).

Also, the new MM table has a sharper incline now, so the ball travels at least 20% faster than before. This really screwed up my old method of controlling the ball with the flippers, but I already have a new system that is working decently. The auto zoom in feature is really toned down now. In the old game, the active camera setting would get close to a lot of the action at the top of a table, i.e. when the castle is crumbling on the play field. The new "active" camera" is a lot less aggressive at doing this. In fact, it doesn't zoom in on crumbling castles at all, and when it does focus on action up top it quickly zooms back to normal. I think this was done because it is harder to properly the inlane and outlane letters of the table to spell "FIRE" with the flippers if the camera is zoomed up to the top until the last second like the old MM.

post #88 of 377 Old 06-27-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

When comparing new and old, are you talking about your new installation of Pinball Arcade, or are you comparing to another product with the same table?
post #89 of 377 Old 06-27-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sorry that it is confusing. Most of my comparisons above were with the MM table released last night on Pinball Arcade with the MM table from the Williams Collection (camera angles, the steeper table, lining up shots, etc.). For those comments, I was referring mostly to play mechanic changes of the table itself.

But Pinball Arcade's engine was patched and there are changes to the core game for all tables too. I played Theater of Magic before and after the patch and noted that the lighting of the game engine has been enhanced by turning down the overall brightness of the game so that the lights stand out more.

Physics also feel a bit smoother; but that's hard to put a finger on other than to say the ball reaction when it makes contact with weird angles is a bit more realistic. Of course it is still video pinball so it can't be labeled "perfect" when compared to real life, but this is the most fun I've had with a pinball engine.

~~~

I almost destroyed the final castle in Medieval Madness last night, but I lost my focus since I needed some sleep. It takes a TON of hits to break down the last drawbridge and portcullis. I feel my new ball control tactics are working well so I think I will get it done this week. After that, I'll put time into one of the other new tables before coming back to MM for high score attempts.

post #90 of 377 Old 06-27-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

So how's Bride of Pinbot? I really struggled on Pinbot in the Williams Collection and don't know if just the updated Medieval Madness is worth $5 if I'm not going to enjoy Bride. Funhouse and Circus Voltaire, on the other hand, seem like a no-brainer.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Pinball Hall Of Fame The Williams Collection Brunswick Pro Bowling Cocoto Fishing Master Playstation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page