AVS Forum banner

The Pinball Arcade - the ultimate pinball simulator! (PSV / PS3 / PS4)

27K views 407 replies 37 participants last post by  gixerking 
#1 ·

On April 10, 2012, from the makers of the uber-fantastic Williams Collection Pinball game released The Pinball Arcade:

Quote:
The first four tables will be Tales of the Arabian Nights™, Ripley's Believe It or Not™, Theatre of Magic™, and Black Hole™.

Each month we will be updating the game by releasing two tables as DLC and adding new features that will include online tournaments and head-to-head play.

With many of the all-time greatest tables from Williams®, Bally™, Stern Pinball™, and Gottlieb™; The Pinball Arcade™ is set to become the most realistic and comprehensive pinball game ever created!!!
They plan to offer two DLC tables a month for "years", and that includes licensed games like The Twilight Zone and Terminator 2: Judgement Day.

Cross-Purchase is supported so one DLC bought works on the PS3 and Vita at no extra charge.

~~~~

**** 2013 UPDATE ****

The Pinball arcade is coming to the PlayStation 4 with a brand new engine filled with lighting enhancements and a smoother physics engine. As a bonus for PS3/Vita owners, PS4 content will be offered at a Cross-Discount:

Quote:
PlayStation 4: Our fans got an early look at the PlayStation4 version of the Pinball Arcade at the E3 show in Los Angeles last week. We were part of the Sony booth, and the game was amazingly well-received by pinball aficionados and novices alike. Our new PS4 lighting technology allows us to model individual lights for each of the 100+ lamps on the typical pinball table (complete with attenuation, blooms, and reflections). The result so far is a level of graphical realism never before seen in a video pinball game and it's going to get even better as we continue to improve the technology! Check out the video below for a sneak peek. In more good news, Sony has announced a Cross Discount feature for the PS4. This will allow us to offer customers who have previously purchased Pinball Arcade content on other Sony platforms a discount when they buy that content on PS4.

See less See more
#127 ·
Are the new tables in the store already? I searched but didn't see it. By the way in the past I've had to look all over the Playstation Store for the pinball tables. Will someone give up the direct route to get to them and thanks?

I use to have a Monster Bash. I paid 4500 for it a few years ago. Now one in good condition can be sold for double that.

#129 ·
I know I am starting to get bored of the new tables except for Funhouse.

I hope they introduce some of the early year tables. The newer ones from the 90's except for Funhouse (yes again my all time favorite table) are more annoying having fancy sounds, doors opening etc. which you have to wait for. Tables like Gorgon, Space Shuttle just played faster no taking but and I really never got board of them.

#131 ·
According to Farsight's schedule, here's what is coming down the pike for North America's PSN:
  • Tables Pack #3: Gorgar and Monster Bash by the end of August
  • Tables Pack #4: Black Knight and Creature from the Black Lagoon by the end of August
  • Tables Pack #5: Harley-Davidson Third Edition and Taxi by the end of September

In Europe, final approvals are still a bit muddled for these packs.

~~~

TP #3 video:

TP #4 video:

TP #5 video:

#133 ·

Quote:
Tables Pack #3: Gorgar and Monster Bash by the end of August

Well yesterday there was squat for new tables so they just lied right there. Come on freaking over 2 months since even one new table yet mobile users get new tables every month.
Quote:
Sony can take 4-6 weeks to get a table "approved" for DLC.

Yet they still add every week useless Rockband and LBP2 add-on crap content every week.

EDIT: September 4th according to the forums update pack 3 will be out or that is what they say until I go into the store that day and all I see in new add-on content is Rockband and LBP2 content yes I know I said that already but who gives a crap about that content anyway.

#138 ·
Yeah it was. The new version coming out reportedly is tougher than the one in the Williams collection because of the new physics. I'm looking forward to playing it.

Here's an update on the 4th table pack:
Quote:
Add-on Pack#4: Black Knight™ and Creature from the Black Lagoon™ is expected to be released on PS3 and PSVita in North America on Sept. 25th.

They have also mentioned that pack #6 will have an improved No Good Gofers (improved from the WIlliams Collection). We don't yet know the second table with it:
Quote:
No Good Gofers!™ will be a part of Table Pack #6. We have made a lot of gameplay improvements to the PHOF version as well as enhancements in our art for the Pinball Arcade version. No Good Gofers is a fun table for pinball hackers and seasoned pros. It was released by Williams in 1997 and features two menacing gophers, Buzz and Bud. The other table release in this pack will be announced next week in a video featuring a friend of ours who also stars in the table!

#139 ·
Good news, bad news, good news, etc...

Patch 2.01 is out now. It adds trophy support to all DLC tables released so far. Other changes are still being determined. Unfortunately it adds lag at 1080P for Ripley's and Theater of Magic (high camera angles eliminate it on ToM apparently). Farsight says a patch to fix this issue will be out in a couple of days.

Also, Tables Pack #3: (Gorgar and Monster Bash) is now available!

#141 ·
Are you sure about trophies. I only earned them with table pack 3. Still did not get trophies from packs 1 and 2.

#142 ·
You have to re-earn anything you've already done I believe.

Do you have a PS+ membership? If so, save your game file to the cloud, and delete it from your console, That way you can earn the trophies as a new player, and after you are done simply reload your game file from the cloud to get all your old stats back.

#143 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow  /t/1368598/pinball-arcade-the-ultimate-pinball-simulator/120#post_22374149

You have to re-earn anything you've already done I believe.

Do you have a PS+ membership? If so, save your game file to the cloud, and delete it from your console, That way you can earn the trophies as a new player, and after you are done simply reload your game file from the cloud to get all your old stats back.

That sucks. I should not have to start over to earn trophies that should have been there when they first released the packs.

#144 ·
Yeah, but what can you do though. BTW, you don't need PS+ like I said above. You can back up your save file on a USB stick if you press the triangle button.

The single biggest complainer about flipper lag at NeoGAF is now satisfied with the game after the recent patch. Another member says the same thing. Perhaps some of you who felt it had issues a few months back can try it again to see if you agree.

One thing is for sure, they have made some graphical improvements to their engine once again. The new table Monster Bash looks amazing.

#146 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow  /t/1368598/pinball-arcade-the-ultimate-pinball-simulator/120#post_22375481

Yeah, but what can you do though. BTW, you don't need PS+ like I said above. You can back up your save file on a USB stick if you press the triangle button.

The single biggest complainer about flipper lag at NeoGAF is now satisfied with the game after the recent patch. Another member says the same thing. Perhaps some of you who felt it had issues a few months back can try it again to see if you agree.

One thing is for sure, they have made some graphical improvements to their engine once again. The new table Monster Bash looks amazing.

Do the graphical improvements affect the original four tables?

I'm very happy to hear about the lag improvement. I noticed my game got patched last night, so maybe it's time to get back into this.

#147 ·
I think the improvements are made table by table - not all are done at once. I didn't notice anything different with a quick glance of some of the older tables. However, there has been a few stealth changes. For one, in Medieval Madness after you shoot the ball up the right ramp, the ball doesn't scream down the chute towards the right flipper at 900 miles an hour any more. It still comes pretty quick, but at least it is more manageable.

~~~

Tonight I got in my first real practice with TPA's Gorgar. I made top 30 on the leader board and unlocked all the Standard/Wizard goals and trophies. It is really a fun machine, especially since the ball zips around faster than most tables, keeping the action interesting. Half the time you can't even trap the ball with the flipper because of how strong the gravity is with this one.

~~~

Good news bad news once again from the developers... they released patch 2.02 to take care of a few glitches introduced in the 2.01 patch, but the new one has its own glitch. If you play in 720P, all your DLC tables will be inaccessible. Fortunately they took the patch down before too many people dloaded it, and they are working on submitting a new patch for evaluation on Monday according to their Facebook page . 2.03 should be out in a week or so.
Quote:
This is the second PS3 patch in a row that shipped with a major problem- we want to let you know that this is NOT acceptable to us, and that we will be making immediate changes to our testing and submission procedures to make sure this does not occur again, on any platform. In the meantime please accept our sincere apologies. Within the next several months we will be adding the ability to purchase custom virtual pinballs for use in the game. We will offer all of our PS3 customers a free custom ball as a small token of apology for the inconvenience we've caused you. Thanks for sticking with us, and thanks again for your support of the Pinball Arcade.

#148 ·
damn good thing i got my new tv before i the update. monster bash is a fun table for sure. it does suck about having to redo the goals for the trophies, but on the other hand it gives you something to do again. besides, its not like im never gonna play the tables again since i completed the goals. pinball tables have high replay value, well except ****** tables lol

#149 ·
Agreed! And I have yet to play a full game of Monster Bash yet. I still might tackle Voltaire before I do. I play tables best when I focus on one at a time. After my great Gorgar run last night, I tried to go back to Bride of Pinbot and played terribly.

~~~~

Great news on the new table front... Farsight has reached its kickstarter fundraising goal for Star Trek: The Next Generation with still over a week to go (extra funds go towards the next licensed table kickstarter).

I'm not too interested in it, but I am SUPER excited about one of my top 5 tables announced today Elvira and the Party Monsters! Also coming is her other table, Scared Stiff. Both are already contracted so no fundraiser will be needed. Here is Elvira herself making the announcement:

I remember watching her old local TV horror show here in Los Angeles when I was a kid. How is it that she still looks amazing?

#150 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow  /t/1368598/pinball-arcade-the-ultimate-pinball-simulator/120#post_22384259

I remember watching her old local TV horror show here in Los Angeles when I was a kid. How is it that she still looks amazing?

heh a good make up artist lol

i remember watching her shows too. man i feel really old now haha. friday fright night too! damn man, i remember it went Dallas, then Falcon Crest, then friday fright night with the skull that spun around 360 degrees. yeah, thats old school

im glad star trek made it, i never got to play that one so i look forward to it

#151 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixerking  /t/1368598/pinball-arcade-the-ultimate-pinball-simulator/120#post_22384289

heh a good make up artist lol

i remember watching her shows too. man i feel really old now haha. friday fright night too! damn man, i remember it went Dallas, then Falcon Crest, then friday fright night with the skull that spun around 360 degrees. yeah, thats old school

im glad star trek made it, i never got to play that one so i look forward to it

She's aging gracefully also. I'm glad she's still around cause as the The Son of Svengoolie (Rich Koz) says "horror host have come and gone and most have vanished from broadcast TV but I'm still standing." Monster Bash has the best sounds of all the tables I've played in the collections. I use to own the real pin and it sounds great here. Also looking forward to Elvira's games as Scarred Stiff is another game I like very much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.