The Pinball Arcade - the ultimate pinball simulator! (PSV / PS3 / PS4) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #181 of 377 Old 11-29-2012, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Awesome TOTAN score smile.gif. You don't play Medieval Madness?

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 377 Old 11-30-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Awesome TOTAN score smile.gif. You don't play Medieval Madness?

Looks like I havent played it on the Vita yet. 8-|

I'd have to dig out the Williams disk to see my previous high score.
post #183 of 377 Old 11-30-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I've gone back and tried MM on the Williams collection and the ball moves a LOT slower. As a result, my score is over 200 million in that game compared to 120 mill in the TPA.

post #184 of 377 Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
heh ive been trying to get tz going with no love. so its not available for ps3 yet?
post #185 of 377 Old 12-01-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixerking View Post

heh ive been trying to get tz going with no love. so its not available for ps3 yet?

Not yet, but soon.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #186 of 377 Old 12-01-2012, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
damn that sucks, having a party tonight and would have been nice. drunken pinball tournament FTW!!!
post #187 of 377 Old 12-04-2012, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I've had some pretty good runs in the last week or so. I spiked my Taxi high score by an extra 3 million over my old one and I finally figured out enough about Black Hole to get a decent result. Two new tables to my list are Elvira and Black Knight.

I also noticed that relatively speaking, Gorgar is the table I'm most successful playing. I am comfortably in the top 100 on the leader boards for it. I think with more practice I can crack the top 20. Too bad Firepower isn't offered like it was in the WIlliams Collection. I made top 5 in that one many months after release. After Gorgar, I'm top 500 in Bride of Pinbot and top 1000 in Taxi.

FH: 28 million
Gorgar: 1.6 million
Taxi: 8.4 million
TOTAN: 33 million
Medieval: 121 million
Bride: 3.3 billion
Ripley: 4 million
ToM: 1.2 billion
Black Hole: 1.2 million
Elvira: 15.5 million
Black Knight: 534 million

I still feel I am terrible at controlling the ball in TOTAN for some reason.

post #188 of 377 Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The latest on table releases for the PS3 (this is for NA and EU):

Twilight Zone should hit the store by the end of December.

Star Trek: TNG should hit the store in mid to late January.

Table pack #7 will be released after ST:TNG so hopefully at the end of January.

Hopefully we will be back to a two table pack every month by February but I wouldn't be surprised if it slipped to March.

PSN brakel

post #189 of 377 Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Whoa... the next kickstarter release is for the Terminator 2 table. I used to spend a ton of money on that machine back in the day! It won't start until Spring, so I guess the earliest it will release is in the Fall. I am really looking forward to this one. smile.gif

post #190 of 377 Old 12-17-2012, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Good updates to report:

- TZ comes in early January, followed by table pack #7, and then Star Trek TNG in February.

- The UI is finally getting an upgrade. With so many tables it made no sense to being forced to scroll through each one to make a selection. The update will come soon after the mobile platforms get it.

- General improvements to various tables on the PS3 and Vita will also come in the next update.

- They will be selling Pro Packs DLC soon This allows you to do fly-overs on the table, set up the ball where you want, etc. for the tables you purchase the DLC for.

~~~

I finally figured out how to play Tales of the Arabian Nights halfway decently. With a score just shy of 100 million, I beat all the modes, the genie was killed and the princess was rescued. Next session I'll see if I can do it twice in one run.

I also got close to beating Theater of Magic for the first time. I completed all the modes (wow there are a lot of 'em!) and only had to go up the left orbit to start the Grand Finale before I lost my last ball. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite tables.

post #191 of 377 Old 12-17-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I finally figured out how to play Tales of the Arabian Nights halfway decently.

Fill up the sword with gems asap. Always take the gem. Always shoot for the bazaar. Sometimes you can get 2 gems there.

At least that's how I did it. the hardest thing on that table is spelling HAREM. Oy.
post #192 of 377 Old 12-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99 View Post

Fill up the sword with gems asap. Always take the gem. Always shoot for the bazaar. Sometimes you can get 2 gems there.
At least that's how I did it. the hardest thing on that table is spelling HAREM. Oy.

That's the way to go if you want to rescue the princess and battle the genie. For pure score hit the lamp as much as possible. Hit the bazaar and take 3x lamp score whenever its available. Keep the lightning spins going as long as possible.

PSN brakel

post #193 of 377 Old 12-18-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Haha, I got my 98 million by avoiding the lamp as much as humanly possible. I also trap the ball and purposely wait for the lightning spins to end so I can safely go back to completing the Tales.

That lamp always screws me up, sending the ball flying in random directions. Still, if it is necessary for max scores I guess I'll need to look into using it. Perhaps if I get max spins out of the way early it'll work better since the number of spins carry over from ball to ball.

post #194 of 377 Old 01-22-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here is the latest set of release dates for future DLC:
Quote:
• Premium Add-On #1 featuring The Twilight Zone will be available on PS3 (NA/EU) and PS Vita (NA/EU) on February 5th.

• Table Add-On Pack #7 featuring Scared Stiff and Big Shot will be available on PS3 (NA/EU) and PS Vita (NA/EU) on February 12th.

• Pro Versions of Medieval Madness and Tales of the Arabian Nights will be available on PS3 (NA/EU) and PS Vita (NA/EU) on February 19th.

post #195 of 377 Old 02-05-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure what to think of the Pro tables option.

But Twilight is just like it was 10 years ago.
post #196 of 377 Old 02-05-2013, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I wouldn't know. Farsight is sending out TZ codes to us kickstarter supporters AFTER the game is released to everyone else. mad.gif

post #197 of 377 Old 02-06-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

New updates from Farsight have been posted.
Quote:
• Kickstarter backers that chose the PS3/PS Vita as their platform of choice (this includes those that backed at the $100 tier and above) should be receiving their redemption codes for The Twilight Zone via email within the next 24 hours.

• FarSight is looking to offer North American PS Plus members discounts on select content soon.

• Tournaments for PS3/PS Vita will be submitted with the next patch.

• Stereoscopic 3D support for the PS3 is in the works and FarSight hopes to debut it next month at the Texas Pinball Festival.

• Table Add-On Pack #8 featuring The Twilight Zone will be available on PS3/PS Vita (EU) later today.

• Table Add-On Pack #7 featuring Big Shot and Scared Stiff will be available on PS3/PS Vita (NA) on February 12th and PS3/PS Vita (EU) on February 13th.

• Pro Versions of Medieval Madness and Tales of the Arabian Nights will be available on PS3/PS Vita (NA) on February 19th and PS3/PS Vita (EU) on February 20th.

• Table Add-On Pack #9 featuring Star Trek : The Next Generation should be available on PS3/PS Vita (NA/EU) mid-late March.

3D support is on its way! That makes up for the minor kickstarter debacle. smile.gif

post #198 of 377 Old 02-06-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
• FarSight is looking to offer North American PS Plus members discounts on select content soon.

• Table Add-On Pack #9 featuring Star Trek : The Next Generation should be available on PS3/PS Vita (NA/EU) mid-late March.

I hope any discounts come after and include TNG. $5 for one table (TZ)? I like me some new tables, but not that much.

Still waiting on pricing on Zen's new Star Wars tables.
post #199 of 377 Old 02-06-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

There are extra fees involved to license ST:TNG and Twilight Zone. The same is true for Terminator 2 and Addams Family. They are all extremely popular Pinball games that need Kickstarter to help raise funds. Without the higher price and Kickstarter, we would not be able to play them.

post #200 of 377 Old 02-06-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Try to buy a working real TZ table! smile.gif
post #201 of 377 Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Hey guys , was thinking about DL this game and the extra tables as well, but was just curious if the lag issues some have mentioned earlier in the thread have been resolved? Loved the Williams Collection from a few years back so I assume I will love this as well (?).

Thanks

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #202 of 377 Old 02-06-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If you love the Williams Collection like I did, there is virtually no difference with the current version of TPA. A patch put out last year squashed the issues some said they had with lag (more info can be found earlier in this thread), and the patch they put out a few weeks ago has greatly improved the physics.

Lag in most peoples' HDTV may still affect the experience, but everything feels fantastic in the game itself. TPA is in the top 3 of my all time favorite PS3 games - you'll have a blast.

With that said, you may want to wait on DLC purchases if you subscribe to PS+ based on the info in my last Farsight update post. Thre will probably be a big discount for members soon.

post #203 of 377 Old 02-06-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I still have some lag. Zen Pinball 2 works far better for me. It isn't my system, otherwise both games would be laggy. My Panasonic ST50 Plasma is known to be one of the least laggy sets on the market. I really wish I had the tables contained in this game but with Zen's lag-free system. That said, I'll go fire this one up right now, and if it patches (I have + so it should be up to date) and/or I see no lag, I'll eat my words. smile.gif
post #204 of 377 Old 02-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for all the info Joe. Sounds great and I will definitely grab this title! smile.gif

Excuse my ignorance as I dont do a ton of gaming and dont even know what PS+ is. redface.gif Would it be worth getting PS+ for a month (is month to month possible?), or would it be best just to pay the extra as a non + member?

post #205 of 377 Old 02-06-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

You can get a 3 month subscription, and I think there *MIGHT* be a sale right now. I don't recall because I get a year at a time, and purchase them when they add 3 months to an annual subscription. I just renewed mine a week or two ago during this exact sale.
post #206 of 377 Old 02-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

You can get a 3 month subscription, and I think there *MIGHT* be a sale right now. I don't recall because I get a year at a time, and purchase them when they add 3 months to an annual subscription. I just renewed mine a week or two ago during this exact sale.

Thanks, sounds good. Do you just buy it through the PS store?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

I still have some lag. Zen Pinball 2 works far better for me. It isn't my system, otherwise both games would be laggy. My Panasonic ST50 Plasma is known to be one of the least laggy sets on the market. I really wish I had the tables contained in this game but with Zen's lag-free system. That said, I'll go fire this one up right now, and if it patches (I have + so it should be up to date) and/or I see no lag, I'll eat my words. smile.gif

Interesting. Report back on your lag situation after you check it out if you dont mind.

post #207 of 377 Old 02-06-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Farsight already commented on the lag - it is 1/60th of one second. As a comparison, it was recently revealed that Tekken Tag 2 had one extra frame of lag when compared to T6, and even the highest level players hadn't noticed.

It may not be best to compare pinball games from different companies because the engines and physics are just too different. Instead, compare the highly regarded Williams Collection with TPA since it is the same company. You can even test the same tables (i.e. Taxi vs Taxi). That way it is more apples to apples.

Btw, I have the Zen Marvel tables and do not feel any superior flipper control.

post #208 of 377 Old 02-06-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, stay tuned, because it's upgrading to 2.07 right now. I have two PS3s, and unfortunately only one system can receive automatic updates at a time. I don't know what version it was on before, but let's see how this goes. My daughter plays on a different system, but I NEVER play pinball on the system she uses. It's on a Samsung LCD, and at 46" it's too small for my eyes at the distance it is from the couch in the game room. I play on my Panny 60" plasma at close distances. smile.gif

This system was the one set up for auto updates while the BD player was out on the game room system. I guess when I fixed it, I put it back to being the one that gets the auto updates. It makes sense though, it's the one that gets the most gaming use.
post #209 of 377 Old 02-06-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Excuse my ignorance as I dont do a ton of gaming and dont even know what PS+ is. redface.gif

For $50 a year (currently $50 for 15 months), PS+ is an awesome value for the moderate to heavy gamer. It has a ton of perks, like auto patcihng, a GB of backup cloud storage on Sony's servers for your saves, access to exclusive/early betas, one hour free play on a ton of games and more.

The two main benefits however are deep discounts on a lot of titles and DLC (yours to keep even if unsubscribed), as well as free downloads to select, complete games that you can play as long as you are a member (even if you delete it from your system).

Since you say you don't buy or play too many games, an annual sub to PS+ may not be for you. But I tell you what - don't even worry about paying for a three month sub right now. I'll PM you one of my left over one-month PS+ codes for you to use at any time for Pinball Arcade DLC discounts when they come, or anything else you want to get from the PS+ service should you decide to skip the game.

post #210 of 377 Old 02-06-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I just played Black Hole, Arabian Nights and Funhouse. Maybe it's not lag, maybe it's just the flippers do not feel responsive to me, like they are moving through molasses. I'm an old-school pinball player, between 1976 to the release of High Speed, I played pinball for several hours a day, several hours a week. My parents owned a roller rink when I was a kid. One of the things I loved about Williams pinball machines were how QUICK they were. None of the other machines (Bally, Gottlieb, etc.) were as quick as Williams machines. So when I play the Williams table, I expect them to feel like the real thing.

I have attached a video of one of my favorite old-school Williams tables, Space Shuttle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkBirOBvi98

Here's another one we had back in the day, Big Ben, going back to the 70s here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NANexdy0VTU

You can see how quick the flippers are. Pull up a Ballys machine from the same era, how about Supersonic, another machine I played a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDkWusJtGVU

I don't know if you can tell the difference in the flipper "feel", but it's not the same. You might or should see the flipper speed is slower on the Bally's machine. In fact, typically all the Bally's machines had a more laid back feel than the Williams tables.

I realize these difference are probably subtle when you are watching them on a video, but when you are playing the real table it's all the difference in the world. It can mean the difference between a great shot and a miss.

One of the tables I put a million hours on in 76 was Gottleib's El Dorado. It is pretty much the table I cut my teeth on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqaideeeJ9M Compare this one to the next one (by the way these guys can't play pinball )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5MEJHfe1Lo Look how much slower this table's flippers are, this is how my Pinball Arcade feels to me.

We have an arcade by my house, and we still go play the real thing. Unfortunately, they don't have any classics, just the new Stern machines. I've found them to be not as reliable and as "tactile" as the older tables. frown.gif

BTW, if you want to add me to your PSN friends list, my screen name here is my PSN name. Be sure I know who you are, because I'm EXTREMELY picky about who I have on my list. At 47, I don't want a bunch of kids. wink.gif

EDIT: the more I think about it, the more I still think it has to be lag. I see the ball coming, and I'll miss it when I should make a shot.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Pinball Hall Of Fame The Williams Collection Brunswick Pro Bowling Cocoto Fishing Master Playstation

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page