AVS Forum banner

The Pinball Arcade - the ultimate pinball simulator! (PSV / PS3 / PS4)

27K views 407 replies 37 participants last post by  gixerking 
#1 ·

On April 10, 2012, from the makers of the uber-fantastic Williams Collection Pinball game released The Pinball Arcade:

Quote:
The first four tables will be Tales of the Arabian Nights™, Ripley's Believe It or Not™, Theatre of Magic™, and Black Hole™.

Each month we will be updating the game by releasing two tables as DLC and adding new features that will include online tournaments and head-to-head play.

With many of the all-time greatest tables from Williams®, Bally™, Stern Pinball™, and Gottlieb™; The Pinball Arcade™ is set to become the most realistic and comprehensive pinball game ever created!!!
They plan to offer two DLC tables a month for "years", and that includes licensed games like The Twilight Zone and Terminator 2: Judgement Day.

Cross-Purchase is supported so one DLC bought works on the PS3 and Vita at no extra charge.

~~~~

**** 2013 UPDATE ****

The Pinball arcade is coming to the PlayStation 4 with a brand new engine filled with lighting enhancements and a smoother physics engine. As a bonus for PS3/Vita owners, PS4 content will be offered at a Cross-Discount:

Quote:
PlayStation 4: Our fans got an early look at the PlayStation4 version of the Pinball Arcade at the E3 show in Los Angeles last week. We were part of the Sony booth, and the game was amazingly well-received by pinball aficionados and novices alike. Our new PS4 lighting technology allows us to model individual lights for each of the 100+ lamps on the typical pinball table (complete with attenuation, blooms, and reflections). The result so far is a level of graphical realism never before seen in a video pinball game and it's going to get even better as we continue to improve the technology! Check out the video below for a sneak peek. In more good news, Sony has announced a Cross Discount feature for the PS4. This will allow us to offer customers who have previously purchased Pinball Arcade content on other Sony platforms a discount when they buy that content on PS4.

See less See more
#4 ·
Ok.... I don't know how to even begin to describe the excitement right now.

I bought PHOF the day it came out and its the best pinball game of all time easily. I played so much of it it's sick. In fact I am going to bust it out right now because I haven't played in forever. I'm OBSESSED with midway/bally/etc pinball games. Theater of Magic is my favorite pinball game of all time and MM/Arabian Nights come in next. I am so blown away by this news, I can hardly contain myself.

Simply amazing. I love you for posting this.

#5 ·
I literally can't believe this. And it's coming to all platforms? This is the smartest thing they could POSSIBLY do, and based on PHOF, we know they will do a 100% perfect job with it. This is truly the best possible situation. Preserving all these incredible pinball games well into the future.

Still can't believe it.

#6 ·
This is very awesome can't wait for this.. i have the midway pinball hall of game game but this sound very promising indeed if its going to include some of the kewl licensed games.

On another note if anyone is in the austin area we now have a full fledged Pinball arcade, of mostly pinball machines at a place called pinballz if you're ever in Austin and love real machines look it up.

#7 ·
This is really really REALLY great news. I have the Williams Collection on the Wii from when it came out years ago. It is honestly, and truly, the most realistic simulation I've ever experienced on any system for real pinball machines I've ever played. I've played every single one in the collection in real life hundreds of times, and they were SO spot on it was scary.

It's good to see even more coming out finally. I honestly cannot wait.

Here's to hoping they release the Dr. Who board!

#8 ·
So this fantastic title is due out at the end of the month, and the developer has just updated their blog with some great news for Sony hardware fans:

Quote:
We are happy to announce that any Pinball Arcade tables purchased in our upcoming PlayStation3 version will be portable to the PS Vita version (and visa-versa). That means you'll only have to buy tables once to play them on both systems!

If you want to play on the PS3 and Vita, that's one purchase of the core game as well as any DLC tables.

#17 ·
Fire in the hull...

Quote:
The PS3 and Vita build were approved by Sony last week and we thought that April 10th was going to be locked in. However, we found a bug ourselves that would've made it impossible to ever update the game or add DLC. We're desperately working with Sony to find a solution that doesn't slip the date.

#18 ·
So the excuse for the meager Rock Band releases on Playstation versus Xbox, is that Sony scrutinizes testing and makes sure each song works. So no more than 5 RBN songs as it's too much work for them. (which doesnt make sense since a song is basically a data file.. not an application).

And this high level of testing by Sony didn't catch a "cant update or download DLC" bug ?

#19 ·
Only five more days until this gem is released! Here's the latest write-up posted at the official PlayStation blog :

Quote:
We’re very excited to be launching the Pinball Arcade on the Sony Entertainment Network. We have four great tables running on the most accurate pinball physics engine ever developed. What’s more, The Pinball Arcade will offer players the ability to buy our game (and any DLC tables) once and own it on both the PS3 and PS Vita versions! The PS Vita version supports the front and rear touchscreen and will be a great way for people to play our game while they’re on the go. We can’t wait for the game to be launched on April 10th. We can confirm that the game will run at a smooth 60 frames per second, and the lighting effects and real-time reflections make the graphics look stunning. This is the best pinball simulation we’ve created so far!

If you’re a fan of either real pinball or video pinball, we’re pretty confident that you’re going to love our game. FarSight has been making digital pinball games for years! We have received overwhelming support by the mechanical pinball community – and these are the people who insist on realism in their pinball games. We have acquired licenses from Bally, Williams, Stern, Sega, Data East, Gottlieb, and obtained other ancillary rights like Monster Bash and Creature from the Black Lagoon from Universal to name just a couple. We are focused on building the greatest possible collection of classic tables that we could distribute digitally ourselves.

#20 ·
Because of the overlap with Hall of Fame Pinball (Aladdin in core game, and Medieval Madness in first DLC), I figured I'd wait for a sale or bundle. But after seeing those screen shots for Aladdin in the blog post, I'll definitely be downloading the demo and making a more informed decision based on that.

#21 ·
Will it be in 1080p as Zen Pinball games are only 720p? I hope it is 1080p as Pinball Hall of Fame is.

I will be buying the PS3 version the day it comes out anyway. I put $50 in my wallet so I am ready. How much will it cost though?

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddice /forum/post/21877159

Will it be in 1080p as Zen Pinball games are only 720p? I hope it is 1080p as Pinball Hall of Fame is.

I will be buying the PS3 version the day it comes out anyway. I put $50 in my wallet so I am ready. How much will it cost though?

$9.99 for the first (core) set of 4 tables. $4.99 for the first DLC (2 tables), with more to come.

#24 ·
The tables look and play great! I do have two problems with the game though. First is that when playing a game with more than one person you have to pass the controller. You can't have more than one controller. Lame. The other is that there is a slight bit of lag in the flippers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.