Grand Theft Auto V: Out Now On PS3 & Xbox 360 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last
PlayStation Area > Grand Theft Auto V: Out Now On PS3 & Xbox 360
Gandu's Avatar Gandu 11:24 AM 09-17-2013
So nobody here has a copy in hand yet? I did not pre-order but will be picking up a copy somewhere within the next couple of hours.

Slacker George's Avatar Slacker George 11:42 AM 09-17-2013
Just got off work and picked mine up. Time to get something to eat and look over the map while it installs.
MaxDam77's Avatar MaxDam77 12:08 PM 09-17-2013
I left it downloading last night. I'll play tonight, smile.gif
Big Brad's Avatar Big Brad 12:43 PM 09-17-2013
I played about an hour last night but decided I was too tired to keep going. I was getting frustrated with all the tutorial pop-ups WHILE DRIVING. Seriously, how the heck am I supposed to read those damn things while I'm trying NOT to hit stuff? So far, it seems pretty decent but it's hard to tell with so little time invested. With that said, I'm still not a fan of the controls and weightiness of your character, but that's a personal issue I've had with every Rockstar released game since GTA IV.
Gandu's Avatar Gandu 12:50 PM 09-17-2013
Got mine...spent a total of 5 min in Best Buy....guy said they had 300 copies in the store including pre orders.
ambesolman's Avatar ambesolman 12:50 PM 09-17-2013
Bought it this morning and its still downloading. Had to delete almost everything to get the req'd space needed. Found the last 3g I needed under the data utility or something for GTA IV biggrin.gif
Devedander's Avatar Devedander 01:04 PM 09-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Bought it this morning and its still downloading. Had to delete almost everything to get the req'd space needed. Found the last 3g I needed under the data utility or something for GTA IV biggrin.gif

60GB PS3?
Filipinoyakuza's Avatar Filipinoyakuza 01:07 PM 09-17-2013
The Gamestop midnight release I went to was well organized and since I was in the 1st group I just showed up at 11:50 PM. Was out the door with my Collectors Edition by 12:05 AM.Took a short 2 mile drive down to Best Buy and picked up the limited edition strategy guide which I had them also price match amazon.com price and got it for $23 and some change after tax.

Got home and the install seemed like an eternity rolleyes.gif

Played for 6 hours. Did the first couple of Franklin & Michael main missions.Did a couple of each of their unique moment missions also.

My thoughts so far:

-Graphics are beautiful and yes they do rival The Last Of Us.Which honestly that game's graphics didn't totally blow me away like how many people were making it out to be.
-Driving has been very well improved compared to GTA IV, but there is still a learning period & adjustment with GTA V's mechanics & physics.
-Radio stations and game soundtrack are great and all stations have a nice variety in them.
-The in game HUD & Mini map guide though feels dated & and is in need of a improvement.

Some pics of the collectors edition I got from Gamestop.The Lithograph that came with the Limited Edition hard cover strategy guide is really nice and good quality.

I will not look at the guide until I have beaten the game and when I'm trying to get 100% completion for the game.
ambesolman's Avatar ambesolman 02:44 PM 09-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post

60GB PS3?
Yeah
drewTT's Avatar drewTT 06:45 PM 09-17-2013
Something might be wrong with me. First thing I did was go to the strip club and then pick up a hooker...
Archerkit's Avatar Archerkit 08:44 PM 09-17-2013
UPS finally delivered my Amazon copy. After installation I played for about an hour. I have definitely lost my driving skills since GTA IV! Oh well.

One very nice feature is the Quick Save from the cell phone. At first I though it didn't work; I quick saved while sitting in the middle of a highway, and quit the game. When it relaunched it found me back at the house - but that was an autosave. Reloading the specific save indeed brought be back to the middle of the highway. This will definitely make exploring the world a lot easier.
ambesolman's Avatar ambesolman 10:17 PM 09-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerkit View Post

UPS finally delivered my Amazon copy. After installation I played for about an hour. I have definitely lost my driving skills since GTA IV! Oh well.

One very nice feature is the Quick Save from the cell phone. At first I though it didn't work; I quick saved while sitting in the middle of a highway, and quit the game. When it relaunched it found me back at the house - but that was an autosave. Reloading the specific save indeed brought be back to the middle of the highway. This will definitely make exploring the world a lot easier.
How do you save from the phone? I downloaded it so don't have a guide of any kind :/
Big Brad's Avatar Big Brad 10:41 PM 09-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipinoyakuza View Post

-Graphics are beautiful and yes they do rival The Last Of Us.Which honestly that game's graphics didn't totally blow me away like how many people were making it out to be.

I wouldn't say they rival The Last of Us, mainly due to GTA V's slightly cartoonish art style versus The Last of Us's more realistic approach. I'd also say The Last of Us has more minutia-detailed environments (think grass growing through cracks on a sidewalk), though you'd be comparing a very linear story mode to an open world game which isn't a very accurate or fair comparison. The scope of GTA V beats The Last of Us hands down, but graphically I'd say GTA V is a notch below. With that said, both games offer a stellar graphical presentation considering the age of the current-gen consoles.
Big Brad's Avatar Big Brad 10:42 PM 09-17-2013
Quote:

How do you save from the phone? I downloaded it so don't have a guide of any kind :/

As long as you don't have a mission active, press UP on the D-Pad and there should be a quick save icon.
ambesolman's Avatar ambesolman 10:48 PM 09-17-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

As long as you don't have a mission active, press UP on the D-Pad and there should be a quick save icon.
Thanks! I've had to replay the opening scene 3 times because I keep having to go do stuff
Slacker George's Avatar Slacker George 12:19 AM 09-18-2013
Yeah, the quicksave option was a nice surprise. Some random notes:

Car handling is very twitchy. I preferred GTA IV's heavier style but I'm getting used to it pretty quickly.

On foot controls still have a weight to them as Big Brad noted but seem a bit tighter that IV.

I like the way wanted level is handled. Cops still give you a good chase but once you break line of sight you can hide out down an alley and watch them cruise past looking for you.

Options to switch aim/fire to L1 and R1 for those that prefer. I can't remember if IV had that.

New option to set the default height of the camera behind cars.

The phone interface is nice and easy to use. Goes into a full-screen view when you use the camera now and you can even flip it over to take self shots.

You can talk to nearby pedestrians like in GTA San Andreas. There's no longer a positive/negative option but it's a nice little bit of immersion.

Performance is good. Some nasty pop-in during the intro but not in the game itself. I noticed little geometry details and shadows popping in a few times but textures seem solid. I haven't seen anything like the Ars Technica article mentioned yet with billboards taking a second to load up. Maybe I haven't been driving around fast enough. smile.gif

I've just played a little while mainly with Franklin but I've got no complaints with story or characters yet. Funny and well written as usual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

Something might be wrong with me. First thing I did was go to the strip club and then pick up a hooker...
Judging by your avatar I'm afraid to ask what happened to the hooker. eek.gif
Tom Imp's Avatar Tom Imp 09:16 AM 09-18-2013
I popped the game in at midnight just so I could get the large install out of the way and then download the blimp code from GameStop. So much for that being quick as I got sucked into the first two missions.

I gotta say I do like the car handling much better. Granted, I smashed the crap out of my vehicle while following my friend to the car dealer, but that was due to me gunning it and saying damn the brakes. biggrin.gif

Not sure I see the reason for autosave if you can save at any point in this game. Unless I'm missing something here.
jtexasflood's Avatar jtexasflood 09:49 AM 09-18-2013
I wasn't planning on picking this one up, but reading about it and having a positive history with the franchise, I bought it at WalMart and got my free keychain. I only played a little bit of it and I can tell I'm going to sink a lot of hours into it. One of the first things I learned is that a parachute is not automatically given to you when jumping out of a plane. Also, your wanted level goes to 3 stars immediately if you smash your way into the airport. I thought the driving physics were very accurate. I noticed that reading texts and emails while driving is not a good idea even in a video game. One of the things I love about the open world type of game is the uniqueness and random events for each person playing. Every once in a while, there will be a cop chasing someone else down and trying to shoot them. That makes for some interesting times. Pretty entertaining so far. I will interested to see how they handle multiplayer.
Lookilook's Avatar Lookilook 10:31 AM 09-18-2013
I spent 35 mins playing tennis... LOL this game will suk so much life outta me .cool.gif

I thought the overall characters and controls feel more like LA Noir then GTA4, or at least its a combination of the 2...
freemeat's Avatar freemeat 10:43 AM 09-18-2013
I bought into the hype again (damn rockstar and their timing of releasing when nothing else is out I want).

Graphically the game delivers. Night and day difference versus GTA IV graphically. The lighting system is amazing. Sure it isn't The Last of Us by any stretch but TLofU isn't an open world game either. Certain times of the day could be mistaken for real places when the lighting is right (aside from the character models which are pretty flat).

I'm still getting used to the gameplay. The combat is a far cry from something like Uncharted but it does seem serviceable (if not sluggish). Well I haven't really done much melee yet either (but it also seems sluggish). I hope it grows on me as the first couple of missions I wasn't that comfortable with the controls and the cover mechanics. The cars are fun enough and they look good with the lighting. I'm amazed at the density they were able t o pull off on the road. Driving at night with other cars and their lights reflecting on my car etc looks great.

The worst pop-in I had was the opening cut scene, during regular gameplay I'm very impressed.

edit: forgot to mention. My god is the dialogue cringe worth for the first couple missions. Does Rockstar really think its hip to use the N word in every other sentence?
Tom Imp's Avatar Tom Imp 12:24 PM 09-18-2013
In today's day and age I expect games to need a patch or two (or however many) over their lifetime. To be honest I'm surprised when I put a game in and there isn't a Day 1 patch available.

That said, with games such as these I hate to really get into them knowing a patch may be on the way that may fix some sort of issues. I'm sure that may be strange to most of you, but that's the way I am.

Anyway, I will probably run/drive around the city to get a feel for it, but until a patch comes I probably won't get into the meat (missions) of the game just yet.
drewTT's Avatar drewTT 12:41 PM 09-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George View Post

Judging by your avatar I'm afraid to ask what happened to the hooker. eek.gif

Well, haven't found a chainsaw yet, so they are safe, for now....lol

Great game so far. So much to do! Tennis is freaking addicting.

Not the biggest fan of Franklin and Michael so far. Sort of miss Niko...
Crash44's Avatar Crash44 12:53 PM 09-18-2013
Well, on the advice of my east coast friend (same guy that sold me on RDR and Far Cry 3), I broke down and got a copy of GTA V. I am impressed with this game, and that takes a lot from someone who is skeptical of open world games. It's the controls, which are excellent. Better than IV for anything you have to do. I like the tighter driving myself, as well as the improved shooting. The only annoying control issue is that a few buttons are controlling two different functions, tap for one and hold for another, etc. A nitpick for sure, because everything else so far works and feels great. You can tell they learned a lot from RDR, at least in terms of how seamlessly the game takes you in and out of missions, and how it generally leaves you alone to make your own fun (my first wish come true). They also got rid of the annoying friends that call you constantly. Now you get "contacts" which you can call for activities, but they are optional and can be ignored without punishment (my second wish come true). For me, finally, this is a GTA that's a keeper.

P.S. The iFruit app is still not working, probably because R* servers are overloaded still. They say their working on it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Not sure I see the reason for autosave if you can save at any point in this game. Unless I'm missing something here.

Do you mean the manual save in your house? Quick save puts you back exactly where, and when, you were. Saving in your house makes time pass 8 hours or so.
drewTT's Avatar drewTT 01:04 PM 09-18-2013
Anyone else also redeem the code for the blimp? Pretty cool way to check out the city flying the blimp around.
Slacker George's Avatar Slacker George 01:38 PM 09-18-2013
Couple of small bummers. Why did they get rid of the interior view when you ride in a taxi?! That was so cool. And secondly it seems you can't go into any of the fast food joints anymore. They're just for show.
ambesolman's Avatar ambesolman 02:15 PM 09-18-2013
Quote:

I'll only say this...the hookers always give me a refund when the fun is over 😉
vpn75's Avatar vpn75 02:35 PM 09-18-2013
I couldn't resist picking the game up even though I was hoping to see a PC/next-gen supported version. I only played a few hours but have enjoyed what I've seen so far. Couldn't resist hitting up the strip club smile.gif

The graphics look a lot better than I expected. The lighting is especially nice but the minimal AA really stands out.

Vehicle handling is going to take some getting used to but got easier once I found the setting to adjust the camera height.

Really have to hand it to Rockstar for packing in so much content in amazing open-world environment! I think this game will keep me busy for a long time biggrin.gif
ambesolman's Avatar ambesolman 02:59 PM 09-18-2013
Two questions:
1. What's the blimp code
2. How and where do I put it in
Thanks!
americangunner's Avatar americangunner 03:00 PM 09-18-2013
Quote:

Two questions:
1. What's the blimp code
2. How and where do I put it in
Thanks!
Inside the package, there should be a paper with a code on it with instructions on how to download it.
rolltide1017's Avatar rolltide1017 03:07 PM 09-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Anyway, I will probably run/drive around the city to get a feel for it, but until a patch comes I probably won't get into the meat (missions) of the game just yet.
Have they said that they are working on a patch?

Quote:

Anyone else also redeem the code for the blimp? Pretty cool way to check out the city flying the blimp around.
Is this something that can be unlock during normal game play or are we out of luck if we didn't get the game from GS?

My wife txt'd me and said that my copy came in the mail today, now this last hour of work is going to drag by. I think the first thing I'm going to try is to steal an airplanet.
Tags: Grand Theft Auto V , Grand Theft Auto V Special Edition
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop