post #451 of 584 Old 09-22-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

Rocking Britney Spears during a cop chase is just awesome for some reason. Or any of the lame pop songs really. This game is crazy good. Every hour with this game is one more bullet to the chest of the need to buy a PS4.
How so?

------------------------------------
PSN: frankthetoad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 584 Old 09-22-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

Rocking Britney Spears during a cop chase is just awesome for some reason. Or any of the lame pop songs really. This game is crazy good. Every hour with this game is one more bullet to the chest of the need to buy a PS4.

Let's be a bit realistic here. GTA:V in no way lessens the need for a PS4 because I'm buying a PS4 for PS4 games, something GTA:V isn't (at least not yet). Yes it's a good game but try to dial down the hyperbole a notch. If anything with every hour you play GTA:V it should raise the need to buy a PS4 as that's one less hour you have left with a PS3 game. Unless you purposely go as slow as humanly possible you'll be done with GTA:V before the PS4 launches (at least the main story and a fair number of side missions. There's always stuff to do after the game story plays out of course).
post #453 of 584 Old 09-22-2013, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Forgive my ignorance but will this game not be able to play on the PS4?

Kaboom.
post #454 of 584 Old 09-22-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Let's be a bit realistic here. GTA:V in no way lessens the need for a PS4 because I'm buying a PS4 for PS4 games, something GTA:V isn't (at least not yet). Yes it's a good game but try to dial down the hyperbole a notch. If anything with every hour you play GTA:V it should raise the need to buy a PS4 as that's one less hour you have left with a PS3 game. Unless you purposely go as slow as humanly possible you'll be done with GTA:V before the PS4 launches (at least the main story and a fair number of side missions. There's always stuff to do after the game story plays out of course).

All I can think of while I'm playing it is how much better it would look/play on a PS4. It's an amazing game, but the presentation is so rough.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #455 of 584 Old 09-23-2013, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

I know AVS is a place where many members here value graphics & tech over anything else.

I'm not trying to convince anyone on buying the game.

But the GTA V's gameplay, main story line, free roam, it's satrical humor, game soundtrack, heck even it's graphics are pretty damn impressive for a PS3 game.Which isn't surprising because a great dev like R* or Naughty Dog knows how to maximize the PS3 full potential this late in this current console gen.It's no different and happened late with the PS2 which is why back then God Of War II was so great for it's time when like with GTA V people complained and asked why it wasn't a PS3 launch title.

I bought the game at it's midnight launch last Tuesday and played it non stop on average for 5 hours plus a day and didn't beat the main story until yesterday.That's 5 days alone and I didn't just play straight through the main story. I did most of the side quests for each of the 3 characters, did the random events for each characters.Heck that put me at only 71% complete with a bunch left still do and that's before GTA Online launches on October 1st which in itself is going to be huge and will be constantly updated with content and new missions from R*.They also have plans for a content creator where people will at first be able to create their own races & death matches and then in the future will expand it to where players can create & edit their own missions.

I'm confident and pretty sure that I and a lot of other people will still be playing this game well beyond after the PS4 launches.
post #456 of 584 Old 09-23-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 95
If any regulars here remember, I was the last person you would want to ask about playing the previous game, GTA IV. This sequel fixes almost everything that was frustrating (to me) about IV and wraps it up into a great playing, beautiful package. Sure there are games with better graphics out there but those are few. I would argue that the lighting and the water effects are among the best on current gen.

No game is perfect, and GTA V continues the tradition of not perfect games. There have been some annoying missions, strange controls for certain things, and the game puts you into long scripted sequences without warning. Then again this game performs excellent mechanically (I have it on disc). Not a single freeze in nearly 20 hours of playtime. I have not become trapped in the environment or fallen through solid objects (Far Cry 3). Having a game perform as it should out of the box with NO PATCH is refreshing these days, sad as that is.

Will this keep my PS3 running next to my PS4 in November? Absolutely. Not dropping my PS4 pre-order though; GTA V ain't THAT good.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #457 of 584 Old 09-23-2013, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

All I can think of while I'm playing it is how much better it would look/play on a PS4. It's an amazing game, but the presentation is so rough.

Neither one of the next gen consoles have backwards compatibility. A next gen version of gtav has been rumored, but nothing confirmed yet.

Xbox Gamertag/PSN ID: RemoWilliams84

"I started out with nothing, and I still got most of it." -Seasick Steve

post #458 of 584 Old 09-23-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Wow. I can't believe this thing has sold over 1 billion dollars worth with a new and incompatible console coming out around the corner.

Kaboom.
post #459 of 584 Old 09-23-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoWilliams84 View Post

Neither one of the next gen consoles have backwards compatibility. A next gen version of gtav has been rumored, but nothing confirmed yet.

It's inevitable though. There's so many cross-gen games coming out in two months, that it's a shame this isn't one of them. By the time the PS4 version comes out, it'll be old news.

post #460 of 584 Old 09-23-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's inevitable though. There's so many cross-gen games coming out in two months, that it's a shame this isn't one of them. By the time the PS4 version comes out, it'll be old news.

It depends on how well GTA Online turns out to be. If it's truly as revolutionary as R* claims it is then it would be better for them to bring over GTA Online to PSN and have everybody's online character and stats transfer over.
post #461 of 584 Old 09-23-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipinoyakuza View Post

It depends on how well GTA Online turns out to be. If it's truly as revolutionary as R* claims it is then it would be better for them to bring over GTA Online to PSN and have everybody's online character and stats transfer over.

This is what I'm hoping for. I could care less if they port GTAV to ps4/xb1, I'm happy with it the way it is.

I want GTA Online brought over though. Especially if that means we go from 16 players to 32 or even 64. Could you imagine having four squads of eight competing with each other over a bank job or just wreaking havoc in the city? I just peed a little...

post #462 of 584 Old 09-23-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 55
To go back to my desire to wait until a potential patch is released before I fully start the game...
Vanishing vehicle bug

Granted, it's not a game breaker or anything, but it just goes to my point that a game of this magnitude has to have some issues they missed somewhere.
post #463 of 584 Old 09-23-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

GTA Online will reportedly support 32 players, not 16
Quote:
A new report claims that Grand Theft Auto Online's player count may have been increased from the previously confirmed 16 to 32.

While a Rockstar representative declined to comment on the matter when contacted by CVG this morning, Cinema Blend claims to have obtained the information ahead of GTA Online's October 1 launch by scouring through the network configuration settings for the Xbox 360 version of Grand Theft Auto 5.

According to the report, GTA Online will feature a "Freemode" supporting 1-32 players. Up to 32 players will also be supported across Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Races, and Cops and Crooks modes, the site claims.

In CVG's first look Grand Theft Auto Online preview, we described the service as "a persistent online world with all GTA5's single-player features and more" including looting, co-op heists, deathmatches, races, gang attacks, crew vs crew playlists and sports. "Rockstar uses different language, but to all intents, it's GTA: the MMO Action RPG."

Source:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/430418/gta-online-will-reportedly-support-32-players-not-16/
post #464 of 584 Old 09-23-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

If that's true, then holy crap. I don't even need a next gen version at all.

post #465 of 584 Old 09-23-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 568
I got to play a bit more this weekend. The gun play and melee fighting is a big weak link in the game. If only hey had hired Naughty Dog or the Tomb Raider Team to handle the gameplay and cover system and traversing biggrin.gif

The driving is a lot of fun (not realistic or weighty but a lot of fun, nothing like speeding through the city to clip something an flip several times) and they did a fantastic job with the car damage as well. The graphics (lighting engine) and scope scope is fantastic. I can't vouch too much for the story yet so far as I'm not too far in. The dialogue with Franklin and Lamar etc is cringe worth but the rest is good so far. I don't have Frank yet.

Rockstar clearly spent a lot of time on a lot of little details. It makes me wonder what they could possibly do next gen. Having rain hit the ground and run down the gutters (ok, PS6 for that one).
post #466 of 584 Old 09-23-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

I got to play a bit more this weekend. The gun play and melee fighting is a big weak link in the game. If only hey had hired Naughty Dog or the Tomb Raider Team to handle the gameplay and cover system and traversing biggrin.gif

The driving is a lot of fun (not realistic or weighty but a lot of fun, nothing like speeding through the city to clip something an flip several times) and they did a fantastic job with the car damage as well. The graphics (lighting engine) and scope scope is fantastic. I can't vouch too much for the story yet so far as I'm not too far in. The dialogue with Franklin and Lamar etc is cringe worth but the rest is good so far. I don't have Frank yet.

Rockstar clearly spent a lot of time on a lot of little details. It makes me wonder what they could possibly do next gen. Having rain hit the ground and run down the gutters (ok, PS6 for that one).

The gun battles were almost impossible for me (especially once you open up the third character), until I turned on the assissted aiming. I don't like using assissted aiming, but I got so frustrated trying to hit anyone and dying because you can't take much damage at all, that I just turned it on. I haven't tried the gta classic aiming mode. Does anyone know what that does?

post #467 of 584 Old 09-23-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The gun battles were almost impossible for me (especially once you open up the third character), until I turned on the assissted aiming. I don't like using assissted aiming, but I got so frustrated trying to hit anyone and dying because you can't take much damage at all, that I just turned it on. I haven't tried the gta classic aiming mode. Does anyone know what that does?

I haven't tried that yet. I've upped the sensitivity quite a bit which helps a little. It just doesn't fix a poorly implemented core shooting and melee system. I can hit people and use the cover system and blind as well fine, it is just so sluggish and clunky in general compared to a lot of games. I don't really mind the amount of damage I'm aloud to take, it is possible to buy armor and stuff in at the ammu-nation store. Though not that you say that, If the gameplay were better I'd probably get hit less. Of course I haven't opened up the third character so my tune might change.
post #468 of 584 Old 09-23-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If that's true, then holy crap. I don't even need a next gen version at all.

Not true. It is 16

https://twitter.com/RockstarGames/statuses/382156078999273473
post #469 of 584 Old 09-23-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

To go back to my desire to wait until a potential patch is released before I fully start the game...
Vanishing vehicle bug

Granted, it's not a game breaker or anything, but it just goes to my point that a game of this magnitude has to have some issues they missed somewhere.

To each there own but, so far I have not experienced any bugs that stand out. I've actually been pretty surprised at how smoothly the game has been running.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #470 of 584 Old 09-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Okay after flying helicopters in Battlefield for like ..ever. I friggin hate the helicopter controls in this game! Wtf, it is awful! Makes no sense what so ever. Other than that I love this game.
ambesolman likes this.
post #471 of 584 Old 09-23-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

Okay after flying helicopters in Battlefield for like ..ever. I friggin hate the helicopter controls in this game! Wtf, it is awful! Makes no sense what so ever. Other than that I love this game.
Foshizzle
post #472 of 584 Old 09-24-2013, 06:47 AM

Liked: 12
do you guys find it hard to focus on background detail as you're moving the camera around at a reasonable pace? If i'm driving or panning the camera, the background (buildings, street signs, billboards etc) all exhibit tearing/blurriness.

FWIW: I'm running a Super Slim PS3 (the GTA V bundle PS3 actually) off the disc, plus the 8GB install and a locked resolution at 720P. The console is directly connected to a Samsung 60F8500 Plasma running in Game Mode/PC Mode and all of the junk settings turned off. It's a great TV though not without its flaws,

I'm just wondering if the PS3 bottleneck is producing these issues or if I should explore a new TV.

I'd love to hear your feedback about the motion detail in Grand Theft Auto V.
post #473 of 584 Old 09-24-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That's what you'll get with any 30fps game, but especially one that can barely maintain 30.

post #474 of 584 Old 09-24-2013, 07:22 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

That's what you'll get with any 30fps game, but especially one that can barely maintain 30.

I never really noticed it with my 360 playing Battlefield 3 before. I vaguely recall similar issues playing Red Dead Redemption and other open world games. I'm hoping that PS4 gets rid of most of these motion problems.
post #475 of 584 Old 09-24-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Slacker George and freemeat like this.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #476 of 584 Old 09-24-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
That SNES video is terrific. I'd love to be able to play that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

You can get a sweet chopper at the government facility. I snagged a black van from the oil refinery down the road and the Feds let me right in. Was running around looking for hidden weapons and found the chopper in the roof. No resistance at all.
Thanks for the tip. I grabbed one to help hunt down fugitives in the bail bonds missions. I just climbed over a wall and stayed out of sight of the guards.

Anyone else find this game quite a bit funnier than GTA IV? A lot of the humor in IV just fell flat for me but this time around I'm laughing out loud at a lot of the commercials and websites.
post #477 of 584 Old 09-24-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

You can get a sweet chopper at the government facility. I snagged a black van from the oil refinery down the road and the Feds let me right in. Was running around looking for hidden weapons and found the chopper in the roof. No resistance at all.

Where's this oil refinery, I can't find it.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #478 of 584 Old 09-24-2013, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

I got to play a bit more this weekend. The gun play and melee fighting is a big weak link in the game.

Glad to see it just not me. The gun play almost feels too FPS, like your standard dual stick shooter war game - which I hate and suck at. I want auto aim to work like the old GTA games: L2 to target, R2 to fire, flick R stick to next target. I went to the gun range and can't even pass the 3rd pistol test frown.gif I messed with the sensitivity, but still no love. Not sure if its the size of my hands or what but I can't move those little stick accurate enough to track moving targets mad.gif Thus I have the feeling that many, many fails are coming my way. The nice part is the retry option is one click away unlike the other games that required reloading or taking a taxi back to retrigger the mission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post

Vanishing vehicle bug

I've been burned by this one already. I stored a stolen ride (Banshe aka the Viper look-a-like) at my safehouse but it vanished. However speaking of cars I got the Bradley guidebook / walkthru and the list of vehicles and mods is impressive. They even updated some of our old favorites from past games. Due to the better graphics the look-a-likes are pretty good clones.

Speaking of old favorites... I did a random side mission with Patrick McReay from the GTA:IV biggrin.gif like someone else said the details are what make these games so good. For example I noticed that puddles form when it rains.

Lastly (for now) the cops are MUCH smarter in this version, they really try to counter your moves and search better. I've been on some LONG 3 star chases and hide in places where I assumed they would never look only have a car spot me. However with that said if you pay attention the map HUD you can perform some narrow escapes if your patient. I've slowly backed down alleys to avoid circling patrol cars, then darted across the street to avoid another sweep. There is stealth element here where in the previous games it was just a matter of pure speed plus some random turns to lose the fuzz. Steal the wrong car (IE: a slow one) and your toast, the cops have FAST cars now, you can't just drive away from them as they will hang back and pounce if get slowed down in traffic. Seems like they finally learn it takes two cars to form a road block.
ambesolman likes this.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #479 of 584 Old 09-24-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMII View Post

Glad to see it just not me. The gun play almost feels too FPS, like your standard dual stick shooter war game - which I hate and suck at. I want auto aim to work like the old GTA games: L2 to target, R2 to fire, flick R stick to next target..
Isn't that exactly how it works in GTA V?
post #480 of 584 Old 09-24-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMII View Post

I want auto aim to work like the old GTA games: L2 to target, R2 to fire, flick R stick to next target.

Change the settings to "Classic GTA" in the aiming section and that's how it will work.

If the game auto aimed for you at the shooting range, then there wouldn't really be any kind of challenge

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Grand Theft Auto V , Grand Theft Auto V Special Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page