Advertisement

post #32 of 584 Old 11-01-2011, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipinoyakuza View Post

Hey man I understand your one of the biggest posters on here that's outspoken about how disappointed you are with GTA IV. I was disappointed with it also big time. But with that being said there is no point in constantly beating a dead horse. Move on. The game is close to 4 years old by the time GTA V releases. If you didn't like GTA IV and RDR was disappointment for you then stop supporting & buying R* made games.

You can rant all you want but I guarantee you GTA V will break records and will destroy whatever Call Of Duty Modern Ware Fare game Activision half ass releases next fall.

I don't think the question is if it'll sell, but if it'll be good. They are not the same.

R* has always been a mediocre Dev on the technical size, and the production side; but their genius was giving us a very large new playground to do fun stuff in. Unfortunately, they've had diminishing returns in thinking up new, exciting things to try in GTA and their open world series.

I'm hoping for something new and exciting too. GTA is really, really stale. RDR, if not for is location, would have been too.

Grinding for the plat was almost unbearable and really showed you how they took shortcuts to "Put more hours of play in" rather then find ways to make you want to play more hours of the game.
post #33 of 584 Old 11-01-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coneyparleg View Post

GTA: Fargo

Make sure you recharge your health all the way and grab that hunting jacket for extra protection.

That final boss mission against the wood chipper is BRUTAL!

Well worth the effort to unlock White Bear Lake, though.

PSN = JUST_KEVIN
post #34 of 584 Old 11-01-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:

Hey man I understand your one of the biggest posters on here that's outspoken about how disappointed you are with GTA IV. I was disappointed with it also big time. But with that being said there is no point in constantly beating a dead horse. Move on. The game is close to 4 years old by the time GTA V releases. If you didn't like GTA IV and RDR was disappointment for you then stop supporting & buying R* made games.

You can rant all you want but I guarantee you GTA V will break records and will destroy whatever Call Of Duty Modern Ware Fare game Activision half ass releases next fall.

The whole point of forums like this is for regular folks to share information, commentary, and criticism. I'd hardly call what I posted a "rant," but whatever. If you don't like what I post, it's easy enough to add me to your ignore list.

Anyhow, as any serious collector or fan of anything (games, sports teams, comics, whatever) will tell you, criticism always comes first from a place of love.

I happen to think that the industry can do better work than it's currently producing--especially at the top-tier end of the industry. Most of it has grown really stale, and I worry that gamers are becoming okay with the mediocre work we're being fed. Rockstar was a revolutionary developer last generation, but they've lost that edge. GTA4 was fun but largely disappointing. RDR was impressive, but still fell short of Rockstar's earlier genius. And LA Noire was a piece of crap. And, yes, I'm aware that all three of those games were produced by different studios, but the Houser Brothers still had a large creative roll in all three.

I'm critical because I care. I hope GTA5 will be amazing, but as with most things, I'm cautiously optimistic.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #35 of 584 Old 11-01-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

The past couple of Modern Warfare games have sold like, double what GTA4 did.
post #36 of 584 Old 11-01-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah easy to do when a new crappy version is rehashed & released every year.

That's what activision does.

Now combine it with it a huge fan base on both consoles & PC.

Also this current console generation FPS gave become the latest gaming fad where little kids from 7 years old to grown men play Call Of Duty games.

Last generation with the PS2 & XBOX GTA was the biggest game seller.

Games like GTA & Gran Turismo take 2 to 5 years to develop before they even release.
post #37 of 584 Old 11-01-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's what activision does.

Now combine it with it a huge fan base on both consoles & PC.

Also this current console generation FPS gave become the latest gaming fad where little kids from 7 years old to grown men play Call Of Duty games.

Last generation with the PS2 & XBOX GTA was the biggest game seller.

Games like GTA & Gran Turismo take 2 to 5 years to develop before they even release.

You're criticizing CoD for releasing a "rehashed" version every year and for having a huge multiplatform fanbase, but then you point out that this was true for GTA last gen (when the series was arguably at its best). And I'm no fan of CoD, but I do know that the CoD games actually do take at least 2 years to develop; they just use alternating teams that share assets and tools.

Regardless, I think the point is that, like console wars, engaging in "IP wars" is just as silly. GTA and CoD are two totally different types of games that only share in common the fact that they both sell incredibly well.

post #38 of 584 Old 11-01-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They've sold double, each. Not combined.

GTA is still really popular, I am sure, but it has probably seen it's most popular days.
post #39 of 584 Old 11-02-2011, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

We are heading back to Cali !!!!

San Andreas here we come !
post #40 of 584 Old 11-02-2011, 09:50 AM

Looks nice, but they always show us the PC versions in their trailers. At least LA's smog will be used as a LOD filter instead of a vasaline smear this time LOL.
post #41 of 584 Old 11-02-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We are heading back to Cali !!!!

San Andreas here we come !

Cant wait to play cant wait to play cant wait to play cant wait to play cant wait to play cant wait to play
post #42 of 584 Old 11-02-2011, 10:47 AM

yea really hope this one hits the mark - looks like it could

PSN:aquasal
The weekend group
post #43 of 584 Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 429
That was nice. Looking forward to it.

The 5.0 is here
post #44 of 584 Old 11-02-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
no release date sucks. the wait with no end in sight continues. which is bull**** if you ask me. it's already been 3.5 years. they should have at least given a year or something.

btw, at 1:04, is that a blimp? more vehicle variety the better, so i hope it is.

edit:

it's also in the parting shot with the title. definitely looks like a blimp.

500 gigs FTW.
post #45 of 584 Old 11-02-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

no release date sucks. the wait with no end in sight continues. which is bull**** if you ask me. it's already been 3.5 years. they should have at least given a year or something.

Relax & be patient.

R* are masters at building up hype for their games.

I'm still firmly sticking with a October 2012 release date.

It just makes sense. R* not providing a release date for GTA V on the first trailer I believe is because they are already set the release date for Max Payne 3 and don't want to hurt the sales for that game which is also made & produced by them.

I'm thinking by E3 2012 which is in June R* will give us the release date.
post #46 of 584 Old 11-02-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

I'd guess April/May 2012. Both GTAIV and RDR were released in that time frame, and they seem to like it (not running up against the big pile-up in October/November or the new pile-up in March). It's a good summer time game, especially if it takes place in "Vineland" (gotta love the Thomas Pynchon reference).

Looks like they've got the world built. It looks like they're using the same core tools as in GTAIV and RDR. April is over six months away. Seems like they've got a fair bit done with a good bit of time left to go. And it will have been a good four years since the last release, and three since the last episode. That's a long development cycle.

post #47 of 584 Old 11-02-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

I'd guess April/May 2012. Both GTAIV and RDR were released in that time frame, and they seem to like it (not running up against the big pile-up in October/November or the new pile-up in March). It's a good summer time game, especially if it takes place in "Vineland" (gotta love the Thomas Pynchon reference).

Looks like they've got the world built. It looks like they're using the same core tools as in GTAIV and RDR. April is over six months away. Seems like they've got a fair bit done with a good bit of time left to go. And it will have been a good four years since the last release, and three since the last episode. That's a long development cycle.

RDR was San Diego, what was LA Noire?

This is the main Rockstar Dev team correct (NYC in conjunction with North & Toronto)? As far as I know they've been quiet since GTA4...
post #48 of 584 Old 11-02-2011, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

RDR was San Diego, what was LA Noire?

LA Noire was by an outside studio (Team Bondi in Australia), but Rockstar had to step in late in development to get the project together and get it out the door. It had been stuck in development forever and seemed to be in danger of never making it out of production until Rockstar took a bigger role.

But IMO, they really should have just let it die. Expensive tech. Expensive cast. Ultimately killed the studio. It was a bad game.

Quote:

This is the main Rockstar Dev team correct (NYC in conjunction with North & Toronto)? As far as I know they've been quiet since GTA4...

They did the two episodes, but nothing since then. I'd assume the heavy lifting is all being done by the Rockstar A-Team, but in this day and age, you can't make a big AAA game without outsourcing and pooling work from multiple studios. But I haven't heard any of the details about how labor is being divvied up for this release.

post #49 of 584 Old 11-02-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Max Payne 3 is coming out in that timeframe next year. They won't release GTA5 and MP3 within a month of each other.

GTA5 is either holidays 2012 or 2013. Probably 2013 honestly.
post #50 of 584 Old 11-02-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I wouldn't be surprised if it launched on new consoles. Imagine being the only AAA games for a new console, it would have a 75% attach rate.

Now playing: Watch Dogs

Recently Finished: Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS

PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33

post #51 of 584 Old 11-02-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Wow - looks crazy cool. Just amazing visuals.

"Where's the Imp???" "SHUTUP!!"

post #52 of 584 Old 11-02-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if it launched on new consoles. Imagine being the only AAA games for a new console, it would have a 75% attach rate.

I'm thinking you might be right. MS is due to announce real soon, most likely next E3 for a probable late 2013, early 2014 Release of their next system (IMO). The lack of any info until E3, besides this teaser, might be the nod to that.
post #53 of 584 Old 11-02-2011, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #54 of 584 Old 11-02-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Personally I was hoping for a return to Vice City, but I liked San Andreas a lot so I'm fine with going back to Cali.

The one thing I am a little upset with is after seeing how great L.A. Noire looked, I was hoping they'd go this route with GTA V and have the characters actually look like their human counterparts. From what I see in this trailer, it looks no better than GTA IV did.
post #55 of 584 Old 11-03-2011, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

BAH!!!! If I can't shoot pets and kids this is a non purchase for me!!!
post #56 of 584 Old 11-03-2011, 08:25 AM

You sir are sick.

Personally, I'd love to see some sort of Demons Souls/Dark Souls MP hybrid.

Imagine being able to play through the whole SP story with 2-3 COOP buddies? Imagine others could invade to cause trouble in your SP experience? They could be the considered the mission Bosses.

It instantly make the car chase mission more interesting.
post #57 of 584 Old 11-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
IGN's rewind review of the trailer is more detailed then some of the JFK documentaries I've seen. I love GTA as much as the next guy, but talk about being over analyzed... this takes beyond fan-boy-ism to a whole new level.

I want so bad to go back to a hi-res version of Vice City but San Andreas will be fun too.

My equipment list is here. Playstation Network ID = jmii ...that's JM roman numeral 2
post #58 of 584 Old 11-03-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 429
The City is set in Los Santos

We are very proud to officially announce that Grand Theft Auto V is in full development.

Developed by series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V heads to the city of Los Santos and surrounding hills, countryside and beaches in the largest and most ambitious game Rockstar has yet created.

A bold new direction in open-world freedom, storytelling, mission-based gameplay and online multiplayer, Grand Theft Auto V focuses on the pursuit of the almighty dollar in a re-imagined, present day Southern California.

The 5.0 is here
post #59 of 584 Old 11-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

I'm disapointed, San Andreas was the most forgetable GTA experience for me. I wish they would have taken on Chicago or some other new city... I also would have been just fine with Miami again. Seems like they took the easy way out and used a city they already have modeled.
post #60 of 584 Old 11-04-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
So, based on rumors and a kind of confirmation, it's just Los Santos this time and we won't see San Fierro or Las Venturas.

I know a lot of people thought it was just a vast open nothing, but I loved the huge desert area around Las Venturas.

I just hope for one thing and that is we get to explore that huge mountain range that we see in this trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMII View Post

IGN's rewind review of the trailer is more detailed then some of the JFK documentaries I've seen. I love GTA as much as the next guy, but talk about being over analyzed... this takes beyond fan-boy-ism to a whole new level.

Tell me about it.

"Hey look, it's a blue car! Now let's look at this blue car that Tommy Vercetti drove in Vice City. It must be him."

"Hey look, a black guy. It must be C.J. from San Andreas."
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Grand Theft Auto V , Grand Theft Auto V Special Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page