Grand Theft Auto V: Out Now On PS3 & Xbox 360 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 584 Old 10-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I've never played a GTA game, but a friend of mine who was a big fan of the earlier ones was hugely disappointed by GTA IV because it left no room for creativity. Supposedly the earlier ones were flexible enough to accommodate different solutions to a given mission -- in keeping with the "anything goes" spirit of the series -- but in GTA IV there was one and only one solution. Did anyone else feel that way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 584 Old 10-25-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

I've never played a GTA game, but a friend of mine who was a big fan of the earlier ones was hugely disappointed by GTA IV because it left no room for creativity. Supposedly the earlier ones were flexible enough to accommodate different solutions to a given mission -- in keeping with the "anything goes" spirit of the series -- but in GTA IV there was one and only one solution. Did anyone else feel that way?
Yes.

Also, the game overall was very constrained. It was a huge, open city, but there was nothing in it to do. Your friend is exactly right. There is no room for creativity in the game. Creativity is what makes an open-world game fun. Some missions were excellent, but there was no need to put it within a GTA framework. Should have just been a linear action game. It would have been great that way (which is why Max Payne 3 is so good).

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #93 of 584 Old 10-25-2012, 07:50 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedSeattle View Post

Gotta agree. Missions fell into 3-4 simple categories, and were heavily scripted to make sure certain things didn't trigger or die before they wanted it to. The city was amazing to look at, but once that was over....

There's been much better sandbox style games out this gen, both in creativity, and fun factor.
post #94 of 584 Old 10-25-2012, 10:58 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigre View Post

I want to play in Vice City or a whole new city. I think they need to dig deep in the creativity barrel instead of scooping from the top and sprinkling it on existing software.

On the subject of Vice City. Earlier this year I got L.A. Noire. After I beat it I couldn't stop telling my friends how I absolutely want to see a Miami Vice game like L.A. Noire. Preferably a game made for the next generation of consoles or at least a game using the most capable game engine currently available. If it was done right you could recreate the best Miami Vice episodes and you could even get the original actors to play themselves. It would be hard to screw it up. Miami was a very violent city with a horrific drug problem in the 70s and 80s. You could pack so much action and tons of fantastic character development and gameplay into one amazing stylistic package if you just threw it all together. cool.gif
post #95 of 584 Old 10-25-2012, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I was not at all a fan of LA Noire. And that's coming from someone who loves open-world games, loves film noir, loves point-and-click adventure games, and is a sucker for style. It was a broken game with some awesome voice work and motion capture.

That said, I'm going to sound like a seriously broken record: play Max Payne 3. It oozes Michael Mann. It's basically Miami Vice set in the present day and taking place (mostly) in South America. Seriously. If you're looking for a "Miami Vice" game, Max Payne 3 is absolutely it. If anyone would appreciate this game, it would be someone like you who is asking for Rockstar to do Miami Vice. Trust me on this. They could have called it "Miami Vice: Brazil Stories" and no one would have batted an eyelash.

If you all can't tell, I'm still in a bit of a post-Max Payne 3 daze. Brilliant game. wink.gif

post #96 of 584 Old 10-26-2012, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I hated Max Payne 3 like no other. Such a frustrating experience. Walk into a room, last stand. Stand up and instantly get shot down again. Ugh. I should have played in on easy instead of normal, I guess. But since I've never done that, I couldn't bring myself to switch it.

Can't wait til next month. Come on release date!

500 gigs FTW.
post #97 of 584 Old 10-26-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

MP3 is definitely challenging, but fair. The difficulty is a throwback to the "old days" when games were more than just virtual tours. "Normal" difficulty means what normal used to mean. These days, most games' "normal" setting is what used to be "easy."

Anyhow, on topic, if Rockstar North can match the work done by Rockstar Vancouver (MP3) and Rockstar San Diego (RDR), I'm sold. The trick will be figuring out how to make GTA relevant again and make it stand out from the crowd of open-world crime games--without making it so dependent on linear mission structures.

post #98 of 584 Old 10-27-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

post #99 of 584 Old 10-27-2012, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Official details on the Gameinformer World Exclusive 18 page blowout preview:
Quote:
We announced our new cover back on October 11, and today we can share with you the release schedule for our December issue featuring Grand Theft Auto V.

In the morning of November 8, we will reveal the cover art and give you a break down of the issue (hint: the story is huge - over 18 pages in print - and full of details and screens we can't wait to share). Then, in the afternoon (US Central time) we will release the digital edition of Game Informer to iPad, 10-inch Android devices, and PC/Mac. Print issues will already be in the mail and should arrive to subscribers in the weeks that follow. Newsstand is November 16.

Game Informer Digital subscribers have access to all three digital editions, or you can purchase the individual issues on iPad or Android for $4.99 (or subscribe directly to those devices through the appropriate storefront for $19.99). Game Informer Digital is available worldwide if you have the appropriate credit card and email information.

The tablet app itself is free for iPad and Android and you can check it out now (including a free copy of the Gears of War: Judgment issue).

Digital subs can be purchased directly online through us (via GameStop) or by visiting a GameStop store location, but it can take up to 48 hours to process (we know it's dumb and are working on it). Please subscribe early if you want access to all the editions. This is the only way to access the PC/Mac editions. Otherwise, iPad and Android are available for purchase instantly. The issue will also be available through Google's Play Magazine app as soon as possible. This supports all Android devices, but currently isn't part of our Game Informer Digital subscription and must be purchased separately. If you are looking for single print issues internationally, please contact customerservice@gameinformer.com (rates depend on location).

So if you live in the US, go vote on the 6th, spend the 7th speculating and getting excited, and then grab your digital issue on the 8th! Everyone else in the world can skip the voting.

Source:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/10/26/december-issue-featuring-gta-v-to-launch-digitally-on-november-8.aspx
post #100 of 584 Old 10-27-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Anyhow, on topic, if Rockstar North can match the work done by Rockstar Vancouver (MP3) and Rockstar San Diego (RDR), I'm sold. The trick will be figuring out how to make GTA relevant again and make it stand out from the crowd of open-world crime games--without making it so dependent on linear mission structures.

There were reports that R* San Diego and other R* & Take 2 in house studios's pitched in and helped R* North on the production of GTA V.

I also thought I remember reading a article that said R* San Diego was primarily responsible for developing R*'s RAGE game engine which has since been modified and upgraded on RDR, and Make Payne 3.
post #101 of 584 Old 10-28-2012, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ They always do that to finish their big projects.

500 gigs FTW.
post #102 of 584 Old 10-28-2012, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A little off topic but still GTA related:

Monday is the 10th Anniversary for GTA: Vice City.Which is my favorite GTA game of all time.

Quote:
Building on the success of the groundbreaking Grand Theft Auto III in 2001, the release of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City on October 29, 2002 pushed the open world game series deeper into popular culture with a vibrant over-the-top take on Miami, a stunning celebrity voice cast and a loving, satirical look at the cultural excesses of the ‘80s.

To celebrate the 10th anniversary, there will be a series of commemorative assets released, including never-before-seen artwork and a brand new anniversary trailer highlighting some of the most iconic scenes and music from the game. In addition, a limited run of collectable promotional items will be made available for purchase through the Rockstar Warehouse, with select items also available via online giveaways.

In conjunction with the anniversary, we're pleased to announce that we'll be releasing an Anniversary Edition of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City for select iOS and Android devices later this fall. This upcoming version will bring the full experience to mobile devices, featuring native high-resolution graphics and several enhancements unique to the iOS and Android platforms. Stay tuned for more details in the weeks ahead including a list of compatible iOS and Android devices.

Source:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/45851/celebrating-the-grand-theft-auto-vice-city-10th-anniversary-plus.html

I bought the GTA III 10th anniversary edition for my Ipad 3 and it looks great.The controls though will drive people nuts while playing it on Ipad or Android based tablet rolleyes.gif

I also just bought the PS2 classic digital version off PSN. Which itself took forever to download for a 4.35GB version.Someone told me that they Sony issued a statement saying there was some kind of server connection between the publisher and PSN rolleyes.gif

The PS2 digital classic version though does run good and looks decent when played on the PS3 considering it's age.The controls work well with a dual shock 3 controller although right now I'm stuck and have been trying to beat the Bomb Da Base mission where you have to snipe and protect 8 ball on the ship while he runs into set a bomb.

I also bought last year this limited edition GTA III 10th anniversary edition Claude Speed action figure.Only 1500 were made and were only sold on the rockstar warehouse website.I checked and it's no longer for sale as of now:

If they release a 10th anniversary Tommy Vercetti action figure I will buy one also.
post #103 of 584 Old 10-28-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I almost wish they'd delay it for the next generation. Maybe they'll actually make the PC version decent this time.
post #104 of 584 Old 10-29-2012, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ I was in that boat too until I realized that it's been nearly 5 years since GTA 4. We're passed due for a new game, so I'm glad they didn't wait for next gen. Plus, the screens and trailer look really good. So I'm not worried about it.

I was sad I missed out on Claude until I looked up the price. I'm not that big a fan. Lol. But it is really sweet.

500 gigs FTW.
post #105 of 584 Old 10-29-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I want to ride a bicycle around the mountains and stop and do some rock climbing and hiking. Can it all be done on GTA 5 biggrin.gif ?

HT: PJ: ?? , Screen: ??,B&W 684s, 685s, HTM62 / DIY SI 18" / port tuned- 17hz
Onkyo 809, iNuke DSP1000, Oppo 103 , PS4, HTPC- Lenovo q190.
| Media Room: Yamaha RX-A 820, PS3, Vizio 55 (M-Series) with in-wall Polk Audio RC series (5-channel), Sub1200 (dual) w/ DirectTV & PS3 / PLEX | Family Room: LED: Sharp 70" -Smart, DTV Client, PS3, Mirage MX 5.1 / HK Audio.
post #106 of 584 Old 10-29-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Not sure about the rock climbing, but they did show hiking in the trailer. If nothing else, you could always hike to a cliff somewhere and base jump off of it.

500 gigs FTW.
post #107 of 584 Old 10-30-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Spring 2013 release window officially announced & confirmed by R*.Pre orders start on 11-5-12.

Source:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire
post #108 of 584 Old 10-30-2012, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Another leaked store promo ad with more cover art work:

post #109 of 584 Old 11-01-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The FLOOD GATES are opening up on leaked info eek.gif

Can't wait for trailer 2 to hit probably tomorrow or next Monday.Will be pre ordering ASAP on 11-5.I'm set and have my digital Gameinformer subscription and will be ready for the official info on 11-8 and will also pick up a physical print copy of the magazine.
post #110 of 584 Old 11-01-2012, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Pre Orders are officially now being taken now at Retailers.Pre Order bonuses include limited 2 sided poster and key chain picture viewer. Gamestop says it's only available to the first 100 pre orders taken at each store.

Just got mine today at my local gamestop 30 minutes ago:

Poster is dope and 2 sided.Picture viewer key chain thing is really dumb gimmicky and only has 1 picture to view.
post #111 of 584 Old 11-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I keep laughing at the Love Fist shirt...

- Jer
post #112 of 584 Old 11-01-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

DAMN IT !

Hurricane Sandy strikes once again:

Seriously this is my reaction right now:

So the letter to the retailers literally confirms that trailer #2 was set to come out tomorrow or earlier this week.
post #113 of 584 Old 11-02-2012, 07:49 PM

Liked: 832
Yeah, damn all that death and destruction causing a GTA trailer to be pushed back...

rolleyes.gif
post #114 of 584 Old 11-02-2012, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Yeah, damn all that death and destruction causing a GTA trailer to be pushed back...
rolleyes.gif

I didn't mean to sound insensitive.

I really really feel bad for the people affected in New York, Philly, New Jersey, DC, Maryland, and the rest of the US North East.

I was just venting my frustration on Hurricane Sandy affecting another thing.It's obvious in the writing of the letter from R* sent to retailers that they intended to have trailer # 2 out by now if it wasn't for the unfortunate hurricane situation where R*'s NYC offices has been affected.

That's all.
post #115 of 584 Old 11-02-2012, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Forget trailers, screenshots, information, box art ...this game is coming out in six months and that is all I need to know. GTA V FTW! With this game, the less I know the better. But the fact that tractors and cows are confirmed doesn't hurt. smile.gif

500 gigs FTW.
post #116 of 584 Old 11-02-2012, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

Forget trailers, screenshots, information, box art ...this game is coming out in six months and that is all I need to know. GTA V FTW! With this game, the less I know the better. But the fact that tractors and cows are confirmed doesn't hurt. smile.gif

So your really going to avoid the magazine previews, gaming website previews, R* newswire updates, and the 2nd & 3rd trailers that R* will slowly feed us ?

That's cool if you do but at the same time it's going to be awfully tempting and hard to resist tongue.gif
post #117 of 584 Old 11-03-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

No way. I don't have that kind of willpower. Lol. But if they never did any of that and just released the game I would be fine with it. And as such, I'm not dying to see the next trailer or whatever. That's what I was trying to say.

500 gigs FTW.
post #118 of 584 Old 11-05-2012, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

Like you say, the real problem with GTA4 was that they toned down the over-the-top stuff (the fun stuff IMO) and tried to give the game a grittier, more realistic vibe. And very likely they put so much time and money into the game as it was that they didn't have time/money to fill the city with things to do in place of all that over-the-top stuff.

That's why I liked GTA IV better, it had a grittier more authentic feel. Hope they keep this for GTA V. Keep the over the top stuff for more nonsensical games smile.gif
post #119 of 584 Old 11-05-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb5f View Post

That's why I liked GTA IV better, it had a grittier more authentic feel. Hope they keep this for GTA V. Keep the over the top stuff for more nonsensical games smile.gif
I'd be all for it if they had stuck to it. But that tone petered out after the first act (through the first island storyline). From there on out, it was just a bare-bones GTA experience in a large, pretty, and very empty environment. It was like they were trying to have their cake and eat it, too.

post #120 of 584 Old 11-05-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Grand Theft Auto V , Grand Theft Auto V Special Edition

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page