AVS Forum banner

Grand Theft Auto V: Out Now On PS3 & Xbox 360

29K views 583 replies 81 participants last post by  Crash44 
#1 ·
#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/21124058

GTA4 was pretty lame, despite having the highest reviews this gen. I don't think I can bring myself to get excited. I hope they have a new engine and better gameplay.

I agree to a certain extent.

The main story in GTA IV was just to dark and same thing can be said about their take on a modern day Liberty City.

I really liked what they did with The Ballad Of Gay Tony though.

#4 ·
They need to do for 5 what they did with GTA3/GTA3:SA, competently change the equation.

One can only do so many chase missions, and mow down the goons missions.

The playgrounds are always so big and interesting, and then there's the same three boring mission types that don't really have you doing anything in that world but sight seeing as you run/drive by.

#10 ·
GTA: Fargo

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/21124058

GTA4 was pretty lame, despite having the highest reviews this gen. I don't think I can bring myself to get excited. I hope they have a new engine and better gameplay.

GTA4's Liberty City was big and beautiful, but it was totally empty and soulless. And for as good as RDR was, the middle ten hours (in Mexico) suffered from the same boring, repetitive, soullessness as GTA4. Rockstar aren't good storytellers. They're good world-builders.

#12 ·
It's funny how I just didn't care about what was going on in GTA IV. Yet I had fun for pretty much all of RDR. The two games are structured very similarly but GTA IV just didn't work for me. The phone and the friendship system in GTA IV were the last straw though. I remember finally getting into a groove, completing some missions and then stealing cars for Stevie. I kept ignoring the phone because I was having fun with what I was doing and didn't want to quit. Then I got penalized because I didn't answer my phone, and some side missions go away until I make up with the offended NPC? Are you kidding? Yep, I really hated that phone/friendship thing.

Obviously this game is a wait-and-see.

#13 ·
In san andreas you could fly the big jet airliners and other planes but where were they in GTA4 they took that option away so why would you do that. I thought the operation of the big planes was fantastic. Ok they had the helicopter but that dosnt feel like landing a big jetairliner. San andreas was a leap forward as opposed to GTA previous games but 4 didnt take me anywhere. Finding the pigeons and shooting those was good but i found that worked ok only when you knew where to find them. Maybe im getting too picky in my old age.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy /forum/post/21132598

In san andreas you could fly the big jet airliners and other planes but where were they in GTA4 they took that option away so why would you do that. I thought the operation of the big planes was fantastic. Ok they had the helicopter but that dosnt feel like landing a big jetairliner. San andreas was a leap forward as opposed to GTA previous games but 4 didnt take me anywhere. Finding the pigeons and shooting those was good but i found that worked ok only when you knew where to find them. Maybe im getting too picky in my old age.

Like you say, the real problem with GTA4 was that they toned down the over-the-top stuff (the fun stuff IMO) and tried to give the game a grittier, more realistic vibe. And very likely they put so much time and money into the game as it was that they didn't have time/money to fill the city with things to do in place of all that over-the-top stuff.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/21130454

GTA4's Liberty City was big and beautiful, but it was totally empty and soulless. And for as good as RDR was, the middle ten hours (in Mexico) suffered from the same boring, repetitive, soullessness as GTA4. Rockstar aren't good storytellers. They're good world-builders.

you have to create your own stories in the box of sand they put you in. Kind of like using one's imagination.

I for one find it very therpuetic to every once and a while pop in gta or rdr and wander, cause mayhem, etc...

too much story is limiting and that is not what rockstar is about

#17 ·
I loved Vice City and the sequel (Vice Stories). That was just an awesome map with awesome music and some great personalities, plus owning the car place etc. I still play that game once in awhile, San Andreas was good (I liked the pimp out car thing, gang wars) So combo those up and lets have some fun. I played GTA4 through once..once.. never really compelled me to go back or finish pigeons or do much more and yeah the pda friends thing sucked.

The other thing about Vice is there wasnt much competition out there, it was THAT much better than everythign else, not true these days. I will buy it and I will play thorugh it and if they can clone the 2 player co-op of Saints row that would be huge. Nothing better than sharing the mayhem with a buddy. Driving around a convertible while my buddy was doing drive byes was just awesomely fun. Actually Saints row2 was a pretty fun game in co-op mode.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneyparleg /forum/post/21133499

you have to create your own stories in the box of sand they put you in. Kind of like using one's imagination.

I agree, but they just didn't give you as many "toys" in GTA4 as they did in prior GTA games (or like they did in RDR).

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/0

I agree, but they just didn't give you as many "toys" in GTA4 as they did in prior GTA games (or like they did in RDR).

agreed

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning /forum/post/21141273

^^^ it's rockstar. so it's a guarantee that the speculation is based on pretty much nothing. if they don't want us to know, we won't know.

Oh, I know. Trust me, I know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.