PS3 Surround Sound with Older Sony HTS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-03-2011, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did some searches and believe I found the answer I'm looking for, but just want to double check with the experts on here.

So, I have a PS3 slim hooked up to my HDTV via HDMI. I then have the TV hooked up to my older Sony DVD home theatre system via an optical audio cable. When I select the Video 2 input on my Sony receiver, the PS3 sound comes through the speakers just fine, but am I getting true surround sound here? Or am I just getting 2ch simulated to surround? If the answer is only simulated surround because of 2ch only, does this apply to other devices such as a Roku box as well? I want to utilize the full potential of the PS3 sound, so I'm thinking I just have to upgrade to one of the newer surround sound receivers.

Also, I've noticed that these newer home theatre systems have multiple HDMI inputs and then one main HDMI output to the TV. Does this mean I can just hook up a PS3 directly to the receiver via HDMI and then the receiver to the TV via HDMI and get video and surround sound? Sorry if this is a basic question, but I'm behind the times here... Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-03-2011, 05:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
IIRC then you are only getting 2 channel when you use the optical out of the TV. You could also just hook the optical out from the PS3 to the AVR then set the audio out of the PS3 to dual (or something like that).

Yes on the new AVR's. You connect all your HDMI components to your AVR then just one HDMI out to the TV. If you are looking at new AVR's peruse the audio section of this forum. Lots of good info in there.
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Ps3 Surround Sound System

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page