Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 66 Old 11-17-2011, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 185

*** GDC 2013 UPDATE ***

Metal Gear Solid V was officially presented at GDC today. The Phantom Pain and Ground Zero teasers were all ultimately referring to this one, single open-world sequel. NeoGAF summary:

Quote:

- The first open world MGS - the beginning is linear though since it serves as tutorial
- Currently scheduled for Xbox 360 + PS3 (Maybe even next-gen consoles, possible announcement at E3)
- Trailer is in real-time, running on Kojima Production's FOX Engine
- Snake is NOT voiced by Hayter, but by Kiefer Sutherland
- The crazy truth behind Joakim is..

- MGSV = Ground Zeroes + The Phantom Pain: "Ground Zeroes is a prologue of MGSV. 9 years after that event will be The Phantom Pain. MGSV is constructed w/ prologue and main game TPP. The game play demo I presented today is the opening of TPP which is tutorial that starts from crawling." - Joakim Mogren
- Snake wakes up 9 years after being in a coma and has lost many of his movement capabilities
- The whole hospital sequence is basically the tutorial of MGSV
- A bandaged man who introduces himself as Ishmael tries to help Snake to escape

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 11-17-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Snnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 66 Old 11-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
this damn series' storyline is so confusing I've forgotten where it left off as far as snake is concerned.
post #4 of 66 Old 11-17-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Metal Gear Rising, the game that looked so cool with that sword cutting demo from E3 2010, may have turned into this? I read recently they let go of Rising's producer- usually a bad sign for a game. If it gets incorporated into MGS5 as a cool mechanic I suppose it's better than nothing.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #5 of 66 Old 11-17-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Prequel to MGS4 timeline. Since each sequel is out of timeline order, there are still plenty of storyline. If it's around the timeline when Raiden becomes the cyborg and before Solid Snake becomes the old Snake, both are in their prime condition.
post #6 of 66 Old 11-17-2011, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

Metal Gear Rising, the game that looked so cool with that sword cutting demo from E3 2010, may have turned into this? I read recently they let go of Rising's producer- usually a bad sign for a game. If it gets incorporated into MGS5 as a cool mechanic I suppose it's better than nothing.

Nah, MGS:R is still around. It'll be shown soon at a Game Developer's conference. They do have a new producer handling it though. Supposedly he's a higher tier than the producer that was "reassigned", so this may mean delays but an overall better product.

post #7 of 66 Old 11-17-2011, 03:42 PM

Liked: 832
No snake, and hopefully a brand new story and direction. Konami will never let the IP name die, but hopefully Kojima knows enough to let the Snake tale end and try something new, that only makes slight nods to the old game.
post #8 of 66 Old 11-17-2011, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

Nah, MGS:R is still around. It'll be shown soon at a Game Developer's conference. They do have a new producer handling it though. Supposedly he's a higher tier than the producer that was "reassigned", so this may mean delays but an overall better product.

At VGA awards there's supposed to be some sort of reveal of what Kojima is working on. Guess we'll know for sure next month.

PSN: CrashLanding (please ID requests as AVS)
post #9 of 66 Old 11-18-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

No snake, and hopefully a brand new story and direction. Konami will never let the IP name die, but hopefully Kojima knows enough to let the Snake tale end and try something new, that only makes slight nods to the old game.

This!
A prequel or another timeline would be pointless.
As much as I like snake,..he needs a break
post #10 of 66 Old 11-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
The story of the boss. The making of the cobra unit. Training naked snake on cqc. Her giving birth to ocelot. Her love affair with the sorrow and finishing him off. It would be an awesome game.
post #11 of 66 Old 11-18-2011, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

We have the same ideas buddy! I also thought having a game based around her story would be awesome. I wrote about it here.

post #12 of 66 Old 11-19-2011, 02:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Your post was about Big Mama, or Eva. The Boss who gave birth to Ocelot is a different character.
post #13 of 66 Old 11-19-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsobright View Post

The story of the boss. The making of the cobra unit. Training naked snake on cqc. Her giving birth to ocelot. Her love affair with the sorrow and finishing him off. It would be an awesome game.

That would be great,..and the battle at the "Bahia de Cochinos" part the boss described,..
post #14 of 66 Old 11-19-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

I wish. Rising has been in production for too long and is now on its third producer. Not good signs. It may never see the light of day. And especially without Kojima in the reins, I don't trust anyone else to get across the right "MGS tone" (convoluted, paranoid, wacky, insane).

And, man, I hope they stay far away from the MGS3 junk. Hated that game. MGS4 was great because it felt more like a return to form, but also felt like a substantial step forward. At this rate, we may not see another MGS game until next generation.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #15 of 66 Old 11-19-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

I wish. Rising has been in production for too long and is now on its third producer. Not good signs. It may never see the light of day. And especially without Kojima in the reins, I don't trust anyone else to get across the right "MGS tone" (convoluted, paranoid, wacky, insane).

And, man, I hope they stay far away from the MGS3 junk. Hated that game. MGS4 was great because it felt more like a return to form, but also felt like a substantial step forward. At this rate, we may not see another MGS game until next generation.

I consider MGS3 as the best one.
My favorites in order:
MGS3>MGS1>MGS4>MGS2
post #16 of 66 Old 11-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDam77 View Post

My favorites in order:
MGS3>MGS1>MGS4>MGS2

Agreed.

I'm a MGS3>MGS4>MGS1>MGS2 guy myself.

I run through the series once or twice a year and usually play them in chronological order instead of order of release. I find this to be a good flow, going from 3 to 1 to 2 to 4. But since i picked up the HD collection I just went from 3 to 2 and man, talk about a drop off of quality, for me at least. Never realized how much of a buffer playing 1 was between those two.

PSN: futurecode
post #17 of 66 Old 11-19-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxDam77 View Post

The majority of fans think MGS3 is the best. I just happen to disagree.

post #18 of 66 Old 11-19-2011, 03:26 PM

I disagree with you disagreeing.

You did play MGS:Subsistance, right? The original MGS3 with the isometric view was horrible, since it tried to cram too much into the old style of gameplay. A lot of people also didn't like the hunting / food / camo system; but I thought it went perfectly flavor of tactical espionage. The story was brilliant IMO. Really pulled the strings.
post #19 of 66 Old 11-19-2011, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I played the Subsistence version. I really liked all the gameplay stuff, especially the camo. What killed the game for me was the terrible story. I'm ordinarily a huge fan of the series' zany plots, but this one took some seriously wrong turns. I'm happy to indulge Kojima's over-the-top creative direction, but this game was all kinds of doofy.

I felt about MGS3 the same way that a lot of people feel about the series as a whole. I found it silly and indulgent.

post #20 of 66 Old 11-19-2011, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
hope they cure fox die so we can play with young snake again. but i'm sure this game won't be out until ps4. hope it's on 3 so i could play it sooner. but it would be nice to see what they could do with the new hardware. so either way is a win.

500 gigs FTW.
post #21 of 66 Old 11-19-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:

I played the Subsistence version. I really liked all the gameplay stuff, especially the camo. What killed the game for me was the terrible story. I'm ordinarily a huge fan of the series' zany plots, but this one took some seriously wrong turns. I'm happy to indulge Kojima's over-the-top creative direction, but this game was all kinds of doofy.

I felt about MGS3 the same way that a lot of people feel about the series as a whole. I found it silly and indulgent.

That's how I felt about 2 and a bit about 4 (not sure I like where the story ended up, but loved the tie ins to 1 & 3). The Shagohod was a little zaney, but that was in interests of the gameplay. A mobile ballistic missile platform isn't so crazy, and it led to the best videogame chase sequence in history IMO.

The story with the Boss and Big boss was very well executed. Felt very much like playing the lead of bond movie set in the cold war. Or course the bosses and supporting characters were over the top, but you pretty much knew that formula going in from the PS1 days (Revolver Ocelot, Raven, Cyborg Ninja, Liquid, ect.).

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

The conspiracy wasn't as bad as say 2-4 either. It was somewhat plausible.
post #22 of 66 Old 11-19-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

That's how I felt about 2 and a bit about 4 (not sure I like where the story ended up, but loved the tie ins to 1 & 3). The Shagohod was a little zaney, but that was in interests of the gameplay. A mobile ballistic missile platform isn't so crazy, and it led to the best videogame chase sequence in history IMO.

The story with the Boss and Big boss was very well executed. Felt very much like playing the lead of bond movie set in the cold war. Or course the bosses and supporting characters were over the top, but you pretty much knew that formula going in from the PS1 days (Revolver Ocelot, Raven, Cyborg Ninja, Liquid, ect.).

Spoiler  

The conspiracy wasn't as bad as say 2-4 either. It was somewhat plausible.

Hmm. I just kept groaning the whole way through the Boss stuff. It was one of those moments in the series where the game started to become more "Japanese" than it usually is. The series has always bordered on falling deeply into the sort of pop-philosophy and pop-psychology of other Japanese games, cartoons, books, and movies.

But that Boss plot-line crossed the line for me. The series is at its best when it's focused on the '80s era version of the Cold War. Translating that to some half-assed '60s James Bond homage with bad homoerotic puns ("Snake Eater"? Really?). And then all the phallic mother stuff is just too S&M and MILF-y for my taste. At its worst, Japanese otaku culture gets way too caught up in fetishistic versions of powerful women, but this was just too much for me in MGS3. It all just seemed kind of... gross.

But I guess it really just comes down to taste. I have it. And you all don't.

post #23 of 66 Old 11-20-2011, 12:27 PM

Liked: 22
For me, I actually enjoy MGS2 quite a bit. I picked up the HD collection recently and will be playing it this week while I'm on vacation, so that will give me a chance to play MGS3. But I was introduced to the series with MGS2. In college, my roommate had a PS2 and picked up MGS2 and played it. So that is what my introduction to the series was. I remember getting deeper and deeper into the story line and then the whole ending of the game messing with our heads. Was quite interesting. So for me, I don't have the hatred that so many others do of it.

When I got my PS3 back in '08, I got the MGS4 bundle so got to play that and love it. I also picked up a brand new, unopened copy of MGS1 for the PS1 and have that in the collection to. I have this upcoming week off, so I'll be in MGS heaven. Outer heaven maybe.
post #24 of 66 Old 12-10-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm so happy to eat my own words! Leaked trailer for tonight's Spike VGAs for MG Rising has been making the rounds.

Not only is this game coming, but it's being made by Platinum Games!! I could not be more stoked. Vanquish was one of my favorite games this gen. Bayonetta is certainly up there. Clover Studios getting cut from Capcom (and reforming as the independent Platinum) was probably the best thing that could have happened for fans of their work.

I have a feeling that many MGS fans will be disappointed by this news. But I'm a huge fan of both studios' work, and I honestly couldn't imagine a better fit. If anyone other than Kojima was going to do this, it needed to be the wizards of awesomesauce at Platinum.

post #25 of 66 Old 12-10-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

I'm so happy to eat my own words! Leaked trailer for tonight's Spike VGAs for MG Rising has been making the rounds.

Not only is this game coming, but it's being made by Platinum Games!! I could not be more stoked. Vanquish was one of my favorite games this gen. Bayonetta is certainly up there. Clover Studios getting cut from Capcom (and reforming as the independent Platinum) was probably the best thing that could have happened for fans of their work.

I have a feeling that many MGS fans will be disappointed by this news. But I'm a huge fan of both studios' work, and I honestly couldn't imagine a better fit. If anyone other than Kojima was going to do this, it needed to be the wizards of awesomesauce at Platinum.

I'm a bit ambivalent about this news. Though the gameplay was good, I didn't get very far with Bayonetta (I still prefer Ninja Gaiden gameplay above all others for hack'n slash action games). I know the cheesiness was supposed to be part of the charm of the game, but it just didn't do it for me. I wasn't able to watch the leaked trailer before it was taken down -- how similar is MGR to Bayonetta?

I loved Vanquish's gameplay, but the rest of the game was pretty low rent imo. However, maybe with a bigger budget, Platinum will be able deliver a fantastic overall experience.

For the most part, I am happy that Platinum is developing MGR. The Metal Gear series was beginning to become stale for me. I loved the first 3 games, but didn't really care for MGS4 (visuals were nice, but the controls were still clumsy and gameplay seemed very last gen. Most annoyingly, the storytelling was more self-indulgent than ever).
post #26 of 66 Old 12-10-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:

Well, tactical espionage is out the door most likely. Slicing your foes into little bits is a little masochist for my tastes, but the tech is definitely there. Wonder if you'll also be able to play the good ninja and sneak / incapacitate, but not kill.

Funny how Raidens come full circle. He's a pretty bad as cyborg ninja now. Never had a problem with him in MGS2, but this game seems to be to shut up the whiners.

Edit: Here's the trailer literally mirrored (!?) lol, not sure but it'll prob be taken down in a few

post #27 of 66 Old 12-10-2011, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

that rising trailer looked horrible. i'll wait for a real metal gear game instead of a knockoff being created by a studio i've never even heard of.

500 gigs FTW.
post #28 of 66 Old 12-10-2011, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

that rising trailer looked horrible. i'll wait for a real metal gear game instead of a knockoff being created by a studio i've never even heard of.

There's definitely a major divide happening among MGS fans.

Those of us that love what Platinum has done (especially with Vanquish) are eating this trailer up. Meanwhile the MGS diehards are mostly saying that it looks awful, horrible, terrible, and atrocious.

Worth keeping in mind that Rising is a spin-off. Also worth considering the sword-fighting sequence in MGS4. This game looks to be all about recreating that sequence.

I'm stoked as hell! Huge fan of Platinum.

post #29 of 66 Old 09-01-2012, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Cool! cool.gif

Four years ago I speculated that it would be awesome if a future MGS game focused on Big Mama as the main protagonist:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

I think there'd be some interest in doing a game on the early years of Big Mama (aka Eva). She is the only significant character who has ties to China, and we haven't had much story about that country despite China representing 1/3rd of the original Philosophers (U.S. and Russia being the other two). Her years in China gives us a new setting and a new wide cast of characters to follow.

To satisfy the series' political fetish, Konami can go for female issues and Chinese government concerns as something new to discuss. The Eva game doesn't even have to be about one mission in particular. It can start with Big Mama in the church of MGS4 talking to her team about her past just before Solid Snake comes in. That way the entire game can be flash backs of her memories, starting with her childhood of being trained to be a sleeper agent by the Philosophers.

It would continue through her young adult experiences (mostly in China), eventually meeting Naked Snake in Russia's wilderness (perhaps replay some MGS3 scenes from her perspective in high-rez graphics), and of course finding out what happend in China when she came back with the false half of the Philosopher's Legacy. They could explore the whole Les Infantes Terrible episode, which maybe has her giving birth to the twins in a game play segment similar to the torture scenes of MGS 1&2. Lastly it could show how she got the resistance group Paradise Lost together once she became Big Mama.

This flashback gameplay would end just as Solid Snake comes through the door in MGS4. The last part of the game is replaying the end of MGS4 Act 3 where you are riding the motorcycle as the CPU controls Snake shooting the bad guys behind her. The game ends when... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
she dies.

Just a thought . smile.gif

Kojima looks like he is warming up to making a Big Mama game:
Quote:
Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima showed interest in making a new game in his stealth action series starring The Boss i.e. the mentor of Solid Snake's dad.

When asked at his PAX Prime presentation if he'd like to make more spin-offs about other characters besides Raiden in the upcoming Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, he said, "I'm not a huge fan of spin-offs, so it's hard to say at this point," but added, "We've talked previously about a game featuring The Boss as a main character. This is something I'd really love to make."

The Boss is often touted as being one of the strongest female characters in gaming, and it would be nice to see a "hardcore" game star a middle-aged woman. Based on the applause from the audience at the idea, it seems plenty of others would agree. He said if he makes this, it will be part of the main series and not a spin-off ala the upcoming Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

post #30 of 66 Old 09-01-2012, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I hope this thread isn't for Ground Zeroes, because that game is a prequel to Metal Gear 5.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/9080-metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-prequel-metal-gear-solid-5.html
Quote:
The official Twitter account of Konami tweeted, "Confirmed from @hideo_kojima_en: #METALGEARSOLID: Ground Zeroes Is A Prologue To #METALGEARSOLID 5! #PAX"

Guess this thread will be useful in a few years when MGS 5 does come out.

500 gigs FTW.
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page