PlayStation 3D Display (with vs. or co-op full-screen tech) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 11-18-2011, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 196

The latest gadget from Sony has been released: it's the official PlayStation 3D Display. One unique feature is that instead of split screen, two players can play full-screen co-op or vs. modes when wearing the 3D glasses in some titles. The image is 2D, but each player only sees his own version of the game. Here's the first review:

Quote:

In 2010, the console that “only does everything” added yet another feature to its already massive list of functionality – 3D gaming. Since then, Sony has done a fantastic job in implementing 3D into many of its games, as well as encouraging third-party partners to offer their games in 3D as well. As the 3D library has grown, so has the need for a low-cost, but high-value 3D display. Sony’s solution was revealed at E3 2011: a PlayStation 3D Display – a 24″ stereoscopic 3D display with an affordable $499 price tag.

The PlayStation 3D Display is now on sale at select retailers, just in time for the busy holiday shopping season. Has Sony created the must-have gift for gamers this holiday season?

The box includes the 24-inch 3D Display (plus power cord and stand), one pair of PlayStation-branded active-shutter 3D glasses which come in a soft pouch for safe-keeping, a micro-USB cable to charge the glasses, a 6.5 foot HDMI cable, and a copy of Motorstorm: Apocalypse – everything you need to enjoy 3D gaming on your PS3.

Set up was a breeze. Simply snap the 3D Display onto the included stand, secure with the attached screw, plug in the power cord and you’re well on your way to playing the best games the PlayStation 3 has to offer in full 1080p 3D. Your PlayStation 3 will need to be updated to firmware 3.72 or higher, and you need to sync the PS3 to work correctly with the display by holding the PS3 power button for 5-10 seconds, then follow the prompts to set up the PS3 for use with a 24-inch 3D display. The entire process is easy, and shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes from start to finish.

The display itself is well-built and reminiscent of other Sony products. It’s got a stylish rounded-edge look, with a high-gloss finish. Subtle touches, like the on/off light just above the base, elevate the display beyond your average TV’s appearance. Even the rear of the unit is adorned with a signature PlayStation logo.

Inputs and controls are on the right-hand side, just behind the TV bezel. Inputs include two HDMI ports, one component, and a headphone jack. That should be enough to cover a PS3, a cable box, and possibly another console – but I really wish there was just one more HDMI input. The headphone jack is a nice addition, mainly because the built-in speakers leave something to be desired. They’re not bad by any means, but most like TV’s, the 3D Display’s built-in speakers and integrated sub-woofer just don’t have the boom necessary to really get you into the game.

The controls are on the rear of the unit, but there isn’t a remote that goes with this display. Pressing any of the buttons will pull up a graphic overlay of the buttons on-screen. All of the buttons on-screen are representative of where the buttons are on the display itself, so there’s no wondering if your finger is on the right button. It’s a nice touch, and it’s very convenient. Not having a remote is a little strange – I get that this display is mainly designed for use in close proximity, like a desk (it can’t be wall mounted) for example, but with remote components being so cheap, the cost wouldn’t be significant to include just because.

The display uses edge-LED lighting and boasts an impressive 240hz refresh rate and full HD and 3D resolution. Picture quality is crisp, bright, and smooth. Colors are exceptionally bright, and blacks are deep and rich. Both games and Blu-ray movies look stunning on the PlayStation 3D Display. The 3D is as good as my 52″ Sony Bravia, but at 1/8th the cost of what I paid for that. The 3D still works well at wide viewing angles, and this set has exhibited very little “ghosting”, a common problem on some 3D sets. We tested a number of Blu-ray movies, both in 3D and in 2D, as well as over 20 different PlayStation 3 games, again in both 3D and 2D. Each one was as impressive as the next. Picture quality and graphics are of no concern whatsoever despite the display’s affordable price tag.

There is one feature unique to the PlayStation 3D Display that isn’t available on any other 3DTVs on the market, and that’s the patented SimulView technology. SimulView eliminates the need for splitscreen multiplayer by displaying both player’s views on the same screen, but syncing the 3D glasses in such a way that it filters out each player’s view from each other. Each player will see the action full-screen, and in full HD. Notice I said full HD – 3D isn’t possible while using SimulView – so you’re wearing 3D glasses for the SimulView effect only. I can’t say that’s a dealbreaker, but I did want to point it out. Even so, the SimulView is such a cool and useful feature.

At the moment, only three PlayStation 3-exclusive titles support SimulView and each game requires a free patch to use it. The three games are Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 3, and Motorstorm: Apocalypse. Notice that Resistance 3 is missing from the list? That’s likely why Resistance 3, which was originally announced to be the included pack-in for the 3D Display, was replaced by Motorstorm: Apocalypse. Of the three titles, Motorstorm‘s 3D is the most well-done, as is the SimulView implementation. However, it’s just as useful in all three titles. Especially Killzone 3, where the fast-paced, twitch-shooting can be hindered by playing on a split-screen. With SimulView, there’s no squinting, there’s no watching the wrong screen by ‘mistake’ (c’mon, we’ve all done that), there’s no confusion – you’re playing it as if you were alone, but so is the friend sitting next to you. And that’s only one friend; SimulView is restricted to two players.

It’ll stay that way too, because there aren’t any USB ports and the PlayStation 3D Display isn’t web-connected in any way, so there isn’t any way to upgrade the firmware on it. This also means that the display doesn’t have any built-in third-party programs like Netflix – things that other new displays are doing. But that’s fine, since the PlayStation 3D Display is most-likely being hooked up to the PS3, which has access to all of these services and more.

The glasses that come with the 3D Display are PlayStation’s low-cost 3D glasses. Most pairs of 3D glasses will run you up to about $150 a piece, but these are priced at $69.99. They’re less sturdy than the more expensive glasses, but they are by no means flimsy. The best part isn’t the value price, it’s the fact that these 3D glasses are rechargeable. On top of the inital cost of 3D glasses, most have expensive “watch” batteries that need to be changed every couple months. The PlayStation 3D glasses take nothing more than a 30-minute charge (that was the initial charge-time, it may change depending on usage) via a supplied micro-USB cable. It’s not a big deal, but it would have made more sense to go with the same mini-USB connector that the DualShock 3 uses, just to cut down on the amount of cables one has to keep around.

That, and any of the other minor complaints are completely outweighed by how feature-rich this 3D Display is for the price. SimulView is incredibly useful for anyone who plays a lot of local multiplayer, and will become even more useful as more and more games utilize the feature. It’s also really cool to show off, as no other displays or TVs are capable of it. Until that becomes more prevalent, the 3D is more than enough to make the 3D Display a must-own for PlayStation 3 owners, especially because of the price. When you look at the entire package – a 3D display, 3D glasses, HDMI cable, and a PS3 game – there’s some amazing value packed into the box.

PlayStation LifeStyle’s Final Score

+ Amazing value for the price.
+ Well-built and sleek, it’s a showpiece.
+ 3D is stellar, and this set has a wide viewing angle and barely any ghosting.

Los Angeles Lakers - 16 NBA Championships!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 12-10-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Why hasn't this thread grown? Are these displays that bad? I just got one today. Haven't used it yet. Plan to tonight.
post #3 of 28 Old 12-10-2011, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Why hasn't this thread grown? Are these displays that bad? I just got one today. Haven't used it yet. Plan to tonight.

I'm on the fence. As a solo player, the Simalview would be worthless, and 24" would be a downsize from my current 46" and 60" TVs.

But I love the idea of good quality, easy to use 3D. Would like to hear more reviews, and comparisons to other 3D solutions.

What do you think of yours?

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 28 Old 12-10-2011, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I'm on the fence. As a solo player, the Simalview would be worthless, and 24" would be a downsize from my current 46" and 60" TVs.

But I love the idea of good quality, easy to use 3D. Would like to hear more reviews, and comparisons to other 3D solutions.

What do you think of yours?

I haven't gotten to fully use it. Once I do I'll be sure to leave a full review of what I personally think of this display. I'm not 100% sure why I did get the set lol. I play on monitors. I saw it and wanted it. Now I'm here lol. I guess I'll see if it's worth the step price. I'm not in to 3D that much. But I love having the option to use it. (even though I never do)

I don't know. I'll Play with it for a day or two and one back with my review.
post #5 of 28 Old 12-10-2011, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Also note. This display works with pretty much everything. You don't have to use it with a ps3 only. It does work with 360 as well.
post #6 of 28 Old 12-10-2011, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

BTW, Best Buy is offering a 160 GB PS3 for only $100 with a purchase of one of these sets. Also, Fry's had a in-store special to buy one of these displays for $100 off, but I don't know if it is still available.

post #7 of 28 Old 12-10-2011, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow View Post

BTW, Best Buy is offering a 160 GB PS3 for only $100 with a purchase of one of these sets. Also, Fry's had a in-store special to buy one of these displays for $100 off, but I don't know if it is still available.

Ps3 for 100 with purchase of one of these? Well dang. I'll have to buy another ps3 with it then lol.
post #8 of 28 Old 12-10-2011, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

That just ended last night! WTF! I've been jipped!
post #9 of 28 Old 01-09-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I bought the combo, plus a couple wireless head sets and video streamer by Sony. Would some one had a link how can I make wireless head set work to watch movies?
post #10 of 28 Old 01-15-2012, 08:40 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

Would some one had a link how can I make wireless head set work to watch movies?

I believe I read somewhere that the Sony bluetooth 7.1 emulated surround wireless headset doesn't do surround sound for blu-rays, it downmixes to stereo, but that doesn't seem to be your problem.
post #11 of 28 Old 01-15-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummernrg View Post

I believe I read somewhere that the Sony bluetooth 7.1 emulated surround wireless headset doesn't do surround sound for blu-rays, it downmixes to stereo, but that doesn't seem to be your problem.

It is working now. You are right on , but it really works well.unfortunately Sony did not put USB on the monitor a gross overlook so I have to use it in the video source component unfortunately.
post #12 of 28 Old 06-29-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

*** June 2012 Update ***

This display is on sale right now at Best Buy for $200. It comes with a pair of glasses, an HDMI cable and MotorStorm Apocalypse.

post #13 of 28 Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just got it the other day and i have really been enjoying the display. The 3d is great on it and the picture quality is also very good, I'm happy i only paid $200 for it at Best Buy because its a great value for what it can do.

post #14 of 28 Old 08-09-2012, 01:19 PM

Liked: 10
I recently bought this display because of the price drop. ($199).

I have a question of those of you who use this display for computer monitor as well.

everything show nice when I use this display with ps3, and 3D is awsome.

However, as computer monitor, for my case, Mac Mini monitor, I can't seem to get it right.

My setting for my Mac mini with this display, I use DVI-HDMI cable to connect two, and I tried audio for mono to stereo splitter to connect to composite audio jack, but that didn't work, so I just use computer speakers for sound from my mac mini.

Even though, this display shows good picture from PS3, it looks kind of washed out color from mac mini, plus, the texts looks horrible (fuzzy/blurly/doubled).
I set it as 1920x1080 with 60hz in system display setting.

Can anyone tell me if there is better setting so it would look better than what I have currently..??
post #15 of 28 Old 08-10-2012, 07:16 AM

what year is your mac mini?

post #16 of 28 Old 08-10-2012, 07:52 AM

Hi, adam45,
I don't remember what year my mac mini is... but this is the spec..

OS10.5.8, 2ghz core 2 duo, memory, GMA950 graphic card

I tried to google graphic card driver update, but either I found some forum people talking about computer language I don't understand, or no much information about it...

However, I also found an thread somewhere (I don't think it was in this forum), some guy talking about after he update his graphic card driver, it improved significantly, and black is almost inky black.. no longer washed out pictures.... unfortunately, he is talking about his window computer though frown.gif
post #17 of 28 Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 AM

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1338 Follow the instructions on the link and see if this helps for trying to update it, i think that if you update it it might make it better, but if it doesn't then we at least know that that is not what is causing the problem.

post #18 of 28 Old 08-10-2012, 12:49 PM

Thanks, adam,
I've already tried the software update, and it's already up-to-date, unfortunately...

maybe DVI-HDMI is causing it?
post #19 of 28 Old 08-10-2012, 02:44 PM

That could be it have you tried using a different cable? Also do you know what other video out ports are on your mac mini?

post #20 of 28 Old 08-10-2012, 02:57 PM

it only has DVI out...

do you use the display for computer monitor as well? if so, how does it look/show up?
post #21 of 28 Old 08-10-2012, 03:31 PM

I do use my display for a computer and it is hooked up via display-port to HDMI, have you tried your computer at that resolution on any other display and if not than you might want to see if you can do that to see if it has the same result. Does your mac mini look like the one on this website. Also you should see if you can try 1080i if it is an option, and 720P and see if that makes a difference.
http://hacknmod.com/hack/connecting-a-mac-mini-to-a-tv/

post #22 of 28 Old 08-10-2012, 06:49 PM

Hi, Adam45,
I want to thank you again for taking your time to answer my question... I just want to tell you that before I forget to say it...

yes, it looks very similar to it, except mine has 4 USB port...
I think mine is one version newer than that one in the picture.

The previous monitor only do up to 1600x900, something close to this resolution.

On this PS 3D display, I don't have option for 1080i, but then it has 1920x1080, with 24hz, 50hz, 60hz, and it doesn't have "i" or "p", and I'm using 60hz... and there are several different lower resolution I can choose to.

However, washed out color or I should say somewhat desaturated color stay the same even I change the resolution... I just want it to be more vivid color, I guess...

My previous computer monitor has much richer color, and I know it's not the issue of this 3D display because when I switch to PS3, the color is vivid, and look nice....

Therefore, I think it comes down to is my mac mini's graphic card issue.... (but just my guess though..)
post #23 of 28 Old 08-10-2012, 07:08 PM

make sure 3d on the display is set to 3d auto otherwise it makes the colors washed out. Also is your color set to 32 bit on the graphics card?

Happy to help adam45.
nobopyon likes this.

post #24 of 28 Old 08-10-2012, 07:15 PM

yes, it is set to 3D Full Auto...

and about 32bit.... I don't know where to set it...
in the display setting in mac, I don't see option for that...
post #25 of 28 Old 08-10-2012, 07:39 PM

http://www.rawcomputing.co.uk/snowleopard2.html See if you can get to this menu that is shown in the link and switch the colors to billions(which i think is the highest if not chose the number that is the highest) and that should be 32bit, i didn't realize it was called something else on a mac since i use a PC.
nobopyon likes this.

post #26 of 28 Old 08-10-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 187
nobopyon, You won't be able to find updated drivers for your graphics card as Apple packages those in software updates. I really wish that wasn't the case, as I'm sure I could get better performance out of my MacBook Pro graphics card.

I'm not familiar with this monitor as I do not own it, but are there different picture modes on the television itself? Also, have you tried calibrating it when hooked up to your Mac Mini using Apple's built in calibration tool? (Go to System Preferences>Displays and click on the Color tab. Next choose Calibrate.) 1920x1080 60Hz is the correct setting. You may want to try 24Hz if you watch a lot of movies.
nobopyon likes this.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 28 Old 08-10-2012, 08:18 PM

adam, thank you so much for your link and help.... i checked it, and it is set to million color...

big brad, thank you, and I totally agree... sometimes you do wonder, apple supposed to be easy to use, then when you want to customize it, it's actually really hard to do it...
I have mentioned earlier post that I have came across few thread (not on this forum) that people were talking about how to update the graphic card on mac, however, they are talking about language that I can't understand... (seem like programing), so I gave up... hoping there is easier way... (like most window's find driver update and install..etc..)

I tried what you suggest for doing the calibrate, but every try I tried, it crash the calibration.... something is wrong with my mac... hmm... frown.gif
post #28 of 28 Old 08-10-2012, 08:42 PM

wow.... even after I restart mac mini, and try again for calibration, it still crashes.... hmmm
it did seem to help alot on color though... but it just won't let me finish calibration frown.gif
Reply PlayStation Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page