The Last Of Us - an exclusive apocalypse survival game, now remastered for the PS4 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #271 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

Bioshock Infinite, edited original post as well... I got super hyped for that game after reading all the 10/10 reviews and whatnot, then was completely disappointed in the game play.

I was struggling, forgive me.
darthrsg is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Sweet Jesus, that intro....

This is going to be one of THOSE games, huh.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #273 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Also, anyone with a decent HT setup, make sure you go into the options and set the dynamic range on maximum....unbelievable sound design here, first game I've played where the sound of a gunshot is almost as frightening as it is in real life.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #274 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Member
 
OARevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Also, anyone with a decent HT setup, make sure you go into the options and set the dynamic range on maximum....unbelievable sound design here, first game I've played where the sound of a gunshot is almost as frightening as it is in real life.

About the Dynamic Range I wonder what the default setting does? Is that some kind of middle ground?
OARevolution is offline  
post #275 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ahartig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Also, anyone with a decent HT setup, make sure you go into the options and set the dynamic range on maximum....unbelievable sound design here, first game I've played where the sound of a gunshot is almost as frightening as it is in real life.

Times like these are when I wish I had a proper mancave and my 2 year old wasn't literally sleeping on the other side of the wall my TV/soundbar/sub is on......frown.gif

I guess my wireless Senneheiser cans will have to do, although I was hoping my wife might get invested in this game. Is the intro super violent?

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
ahartig is offline  
post #276 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

Times like these are when I wish I had a proper mancave and my 2 year old wasn't literally sleeping on the other side of the wall my TV/soundbar/sub is on......frown.gif

I guess my wireless Senneheiser cans will have to do, although I was hoping my wife might get invested in this game. Is the intro super violent?

Yeah, I'd file it under extremely violent, but that's not really the part of it that got to me. Don't wanna go anywhere near spoilers....but this is looking like one of those games that you can completely lose yourself in and actually relate to what's going on.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #277 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Member
 
OARevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

Times like these are when I wish I had a proper mancave and my 2 year old wasn't literally sleeping on the other side of the wall my TV/soundbar/sub is on......frown.gif

I guess my wireless Senneheiser cans will have to do, although I was hoping my wife might get invested in this game. Is the intro super violent?
It'

It's pretty violent and dramatic.
OARevolution is offline  
post #278 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by OARevolution View Post

About the Dynamic Range I wonder what the default setting does? Is that some kind of middle ground?

Yeah, it seems so. When you turn the DR up to maximum, it's basically blu-ray quality, just turn it up to reference level....voices will sound just right, and gunshots will wake the neighbors up.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #279 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ahartig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Yeah, I'd file it under extremely violent, but that's not really the part of it that got to me. Don't wanna go anywhere near spoilers....but this is looking like one of those games that you can completely lose yourself in and actually relate to what's going on.

OK, sounds like its violent but gripping, good. My wife isn't into the violence stuff, but if its gripping/compelling, she's all about it. She got into the "walking dead" with me and after 2 -3 episodes she was hooked more then I was.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
ahartig is offline  
post #280 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

OK, sounds like its violent but gripping, good. My wife isn't into the violence stuff, but if its gripping/compelling, she's all about it. She got into the "walking dead" with me and after 2 -3 episodes she was hooked more then I was.

She'll probably really dig it then.

Let me put it this way...I had to put the controller down and step away for a few minutes afterwards.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #281 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 705
darthrsg is online now  
post #282 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ahartig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
So, don't want to spoil it too much, but is the beginning you are referring to mostly a long cut scene? Or are there playable parts?

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
ahartig is offline  
post #283 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
darthrsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Post America America
Posts: 8,475
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

So, don't want to spoil it too much, but is the beginning you are referring to mostly a long cut scene? Or are there playable parts?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Playable.
darthrsg is online now  
post #284 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ahartig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Playable.

Thx

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
ahartig is offline  
post #285 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
So, the game and combat feels very much like uncharted....with one huge difference. You don't feel like a superhero like drake, it's not a flurry of dozens of bullets flying back and forth and countless thugs to drop. Every shot counts and neither you or the enemies are bullet sponges. It all just feels so visceral, even a standard pistol feels like an incredibly dangerous weapon of mass destruction. It's unlike any other game I've ever played.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #286 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 PM
 
TyrantII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 10,114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Sound like Rainbow6 back in the day.

If this is a trend of brining the challange back to games, count me in! How's the AI? Noticbly better?
TyrantII is offline  
post #287 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Sound like Rainbow6 back in the day.

If this is a trend of brining the challange back to games, count me in! How's the AI? Noticbly better?

Yeah, the AI is excellent. I got into a bit of a standoff, and I was waiting for them to pop their heads out like they do in normal games....and they just didn't. And they'd also pop off and fire a shot from different places. You really have to manuver around and try and get an angle on them, because you don't really have the firepower to just trade shots all day.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #288 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ahartig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Yeah, the AI is excellent. I got into a bit of a standoff, and I was waiting for them to pop their heads out like they do in normal games....and they just didn't. And they'd also pop off and fire a shot from different places. You really have to manuver around and try and get an angle on them, because you don't really have the firepower to just trade shots all day.

That's good to hear. I finished spec ops the line a few nights ago and the repetitive taking cover, waiting for a head to pop out and shooting said head got pretty repetitive. Although that game as a whole was excellent.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
ahartig is offline  
post #289 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Member
 
OARevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've approached most situations with stealth in mind. I try not to fire a shot unless its absolutely necessary. A lot of times the enemies will totally ignore your partners though, which ruins the immersion somewhat. You can be sneaking behind an enemy going for a stealth kill and your partner might run out in plain sight right in front of the enemy and not be seen. I guess it would be annoying if the enemies kept spotting your AI partners though. I guess it is what it is. Other than that the game is great.
OARevolution is offline  
post #290 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

That's good to hear. I finished spec ops the line a few nights ago and the repetitive taking cover, waiting for a head to pop out and shooting said head got pretty repetitive. Although that game as a whole was excellent.

There was one point where I was sneaking around in the dark, trying not to get spotted by soldiers....and all of a sudden their flashlights turned and held on the table I was hiding behind. That's the point where in a normal game, you'd hear "they're over there!" and then you're firing your heavy machine guns back and forth. But....they just waited. As if they weren't sure what they saw, but they saw something, and they weren't about to give their position away by shouting. After like 60 seconds, I wasn't even sure if they had actually seen me, so I started to creep out of cover....and then my speakers basically made me temporarily deaf as they started to unload. So of course I start to trade shots with the few bullets I had left, but pistol rounds don't really faze someone in head to toe ballistic armor. A few good headshots stunned him long enough for me to at least make a run for it. So yeah...the AI is excellent, and this isn't your standard video game. You're as vulnerable as you should be in these kinds of situations.

Overall the thing that really occurs to me while playing, is that this is what bioshock infinite should have been like. More than a few similarities here, basically one long escort mission, a unique world to explore etc. The difference is that BI fell back on standard gameplay and completely over the top gratuitous violence....it felt so out of place, and really held that game back. OTOH here, I'd say 80% of the time I've been playing I haven't been in a combat session, the world is just super interesting to explore, and there this constant level of fear and tension. I don't have 300 rounds in my machine gun, and magic to fall back on.....I have two bullets and a brick.

When someone gets killed, it's not wisecracks and rock and roll....it feels like something horrible just happened. If you grab a guy from behind, you don't just crack his neck and move on, you have to strangle him out slowly, he's struggling the whole time, making lots of noise. If you try to use him as a human shield and put a gun to his head....he's actually terrified, starts telling you to be cool, tries to make a deal with you etc....and if you wait too long he's going to fight back. Basically, the people you meet don't feel like cartoon characters, they feel like actual people, and the acting and facial animation is the best I've ever seen in a game.

It's definitely earning all those 10/10s.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #291 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ahartig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

There was one point where I was sneaking around in the dark, trying not to get spotted by soldiers....and all of a sudden their flashlights turned and held on the table I was hiding behind. That's the point where in a normal game, you'd hear "they're over there!" and then you're firing your heavy machine guns back and forth. But....they just waited. As if they weren't sure what they saw, but they saw something, and they weren't about to give their position away by shouting. After like 60 seconds, I wasn't even sure if they had actually seen me, so I started to creep out of cover....and then my speakers basically made me temporarily deaf as they started to unload. So of course I start to trade shots with the few bullets I had left, but pistol rounds don't really faze someone in head to toe ballistic armor. A few good headshots stunned him long enough for me to at least make a run for it. So yeah...the AI is excellent, and this isn't your standard video game. You're as vulnerable as you should be in these kinds of situations.

Overall the thing that really occurs to me while playing, is that this is what bioshock infinite should have been like. More than a few similarities here, basically one long escort mission, a unique world to explore etc. The difference is that BI fell back on standard gameplay and completely over the top gratuitous violence....it felt so out of place, and really held that game back. OTOH here, I'd say 80% of the time I've been playing I haven't been in a combat session, the world is just super interesting to explore, and there this constant level of fear and tension. I don't have 300 rounds in my machine gun, and magic to fall back on.....I have two bullets and a brick.

When someone gets killed, it's not wisecracks and rock and roll....it feels like something horrible just happened. If you grab a guy from behind, you don't just crack his neck and move on, you have to strangle him out slowly, he's struggling the whole time, making lots of noise. If you try to use him as a human shield and put a gun to his head....he's actually terrified, starts telling you to be cool, tries to make a deal with you etc....and if you wait too long he's going to fight back. Basically, the people you meet don't feel like cartoon characters, they feel like actual people, and the acting and facial animation is the best I've ever seen in a game.

It's definitely earning all those 10/10s.

Awesome, great write up. Glad to hear the contrast form Bioshock Infinite. My main problem with Infinite is that it was so linear and the combat was not rewarding. Sounds like TLOU hits it out of the park. Few, but intense combat scenarios are where it's at. I also recently played the Metro Series games and the pacing in both of those games was excellent, every time I would hear the shrill cry of a demon beast thing (bitches), the hair on the back of my neck would stand straight up.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
ahartig is offline  
post #292 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MaxDam77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Can a video game make you cry?

Yes, Well tears. MGS3 and the walking dead did that to me.
MaxDam77 is online now  
post #293 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

Awesome, great write up. Glad to hear the contrast form Bioshock Infinite. My main problem with Infinite is that it was so linear and the combat was not rewarding. Sounds like TLOU hits it out of the park. Few, but intense combat scenarios are where it's at. I also recently played the Metro Series games and the pacing in both of those games was excellent, every time I would hear the shrill cry of a demon beast thing (bitches), the hair on the back of my neck would stand straight up.

Yeah, every single time I've been in a gunfight, it's been absolutely intense. I'm sure part of it is just how realistic it sounds....there's nothing subtle about gunfire, but that's kind of the best way to describe it. Every single shot from either side is meaningful, and Ive yet to have more than 6 bullets at once. You only want to turn to your gun if you dont have any other options. Just like IRL....you don't want to go around seeking a firefight, better to avoid it altogether.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #294 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Member
 
OARevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Yeah, every single time I've been in a gunfight, it's been absolutely intense. I'm sure part of it is just how realistic it sounds....there's nothing subtle about gunfire, but that's kind of the best way to describe it. Every single shot from either side is meaningful, and Ive yet to have more than 6 bullets at once. You only want to turn to your gun if you dont have any other options. Just like IRL....you don't want to go around seeking a firefight, better to avoid it altogether.

Only 6 bullets? What difficulty are you playing on? I'm playing on normal and have 20 for my 9mm which is the max. I haven't fired it in a while.
OARevolution is offline  
post #295 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
bd2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 10,334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by OARevolution View Post

Only 6 bullets? What difficulty are you playing on? I'm playing on normal and have 20 for my 9mm which is the max. I haven't fired it in a while.

I'm playing on normal, I'm not really that far in though, maybe two hours or so. One thing I noticed is that even if you strangle out a guy that's carrying a gun, you cant always pull the gun or bullets off his body. It seems to happen only rarely.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
bd2003 is online now  
post #296 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
benjamin-benjami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: edmond, ok
Posts: 4,076
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 649
how "rough" is the langauge in the game?
benjamin-benjami is offline  
post #297 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Member
 
OARevolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I'm playing on normal, I'm not really that far in though, maybe two hours or so. One thing I noticed is that even if you strangle out a guy that's carrying a gun, you cant always pull the gun or bullets off his body. It seems to happen only rarely.

Yeah I'm not really too far in. I just got to the part that was in the demo. I got the revolver and fired a few rounds with that simply because I haven't fired a gun in a while. Almost all my kills are stealth kills. Yeah I have noticed that people just randomly will drop there ammo when you kill them.

And the language is that of an R rated movie.
OARevolution is offline  
post #298 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sibuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 1,770
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 178
so thats prob the most powerful opening to a video game ive ever played
Sibuna is online now  
post #299 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kjr39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

how "rough" is the langauge in the game?

I'm only an hour or so in and there are 'f's every where.

Salminella Now Better with Kinect: 360 PSN

Official member and mascot of the AVS' Xbox 360 Elite Club of Awesomeness
kjr39 is offline  
post #300 of 895 Old 06-14-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kjr39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

so thats prob the most powerful opening to a video game ive ever played
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Yeah, I'm man enough to say that I welled up thinking of my kids during the opening.

Salminella Now Better with Kinect: 360 PSN

Official member and mascot of the AVS' Xbox 360 Elite Club of Awesomeness
kjr39 is offline  
Reply PlayStation Area

Tags
Last Of Us Ps3

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off